October Whole 30 for Paleo/Primal Support Peeps

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I am going to get my blog up and going strong and start posting monthly pictures of my progress there.

I think I am a jinx for the Cardinals. Of course I go to the game and they lose. Onward to Texas and hopefully they will win 2 games in Texas and come back to St Louis for Game 6 for the win!!

Contacting a couple of companies today about hosting options. Excited!!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. The game last night, wow. Anyway, I created a private meetup online group and will be putting allot of the awesome links from here on there. Join me. I'm not in charge of it, just paying for it. I want a place where we can all let our hair down with out the prying eyes of lurkers and haters!

http://www.meetup.com/Paleo30/

If you haven't done meetup yet, you are missing a fun place. Anyway, I'm still going to log my food here, and I even created a link on the meetup web page to MFP so we can easily keep up on our thread here. Hoping our paleo community can grow closer via the more private meetup club page I've created. As for FB (wastebook), no thank you! I hate the groups option on there and the spamming, and the ads, and the constant changes, and the big brother.....

Grokette, I hope you get on the meetup site asap so I can make you a mod.

Everyone, the link to the spreadsheet I've created is there. Grab it, edit it, then UPLOAD your own! Meetup has the ability to store, edit, and upload as well as a messageboard, mailing list, etc. It is all customizable according to each individuals' preferences! I love it!!
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just joined. Thanks so much for organising that.

I have been feeling very discouraged lately. I need to take a step back and reorganise my life. :-( Yesterday I actually binged on half a bag of jelly beans WTF?!?
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give this a try...
    I know we still have 10 days but my current victories are VERY exciting....

This was Oct 1st
    gR03UC

This was today Oct 20th
    h584N1

This thing freaking hates me...

If you're interested at all in the unearthing of my abs... here's a link to my flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38824493@N05/6265796706/

http://flickr.com/gp/38824493@N05/gR03UC

I could see the October 1 but not the October 20. Still I can imagine!

Try this:
    http://flickr.com/gp/38824493@N05/pU5bu4
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am! I'm not celiac or gluten intolerant- I have a severe grass allergy. My brilliant doctor decided to test me for wheat/grain allergy and it hit me just as hard as the other grasses. As it turned out when I quit eating them I was WAY less congested, wheezed less and eventually (after a few months) quit snoring!

Same goes for Tree fruit, a lot of nuts, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, celery, rudabeggas, turnips, beets, soy, corn and a bunch of other crap. It was a HUGE dietary change and what pushed me toward a paleo lifestyle. I was eating a version of Paleo before I ever knew what it was. As I've cut other things and added fat I'm seeing some HUGE physical transformations. I can't help but wonder how much nicer this journey would have been had I eaten this way from the start...

Congrats on the inches lost! :drinker:
    [/quote]

Hmmm I wonder about this....my daughter and I do not have celiac disease, but we are both very allergic to grasses. We did a food "sensitivity" test for her, and wheat came back as something she is sensitive to. Not technically allergic, but definitely sensitive. She will not be happy (being a grumpy teenager, 14 yo.), but she may be going gluten-free, as well.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It boggles my mind that some people think primal/paleo eating is "faddish" or unhealthy and a "niche" group.
    Or that it is even a "low carb" diet. It certainly doesn't have to be.

The hysteria I see on these boards against eliminating grains is almost laughable. Sometimes when I read the person's comment I go check out their food diary and shake my head at the choices that they deem healthy and of course "moderate".
    My eating used to be full of those foods, too. I used to think I was eating healthy as well.
    I don't get the name calling either. One woman calls us "carb nazis" and another says we have an "agenda". I guess they don't see the irony.

I am so grateful that I found myself at Primal's door and that I chose to walk in.

I don't have FB and don't care to have an acc't so I wish you all well. In my brief time knowing you, I've already learned quite a bit to help me on my way. I find this group to be very enthusiastic & made up of very helpful people.

It's led me to kettlebells ... thanks Illyeanna! a workout that WORKS and is FUN!
    MDA taught me that I don't have to kill myself for hours and hours at a gym in order to get fit. I can GO FOR A WALK! A SLOW one at that! lol ... colour me a happy camper!
    I've learned that sleep and rest is just as important as the food and movement.
    That eliminating stress amap is also an important component of restoring health.

Primal/paleo is a well rounded (and grounded) way of life.
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!!!

busywaterbending - great idea on the meetup group! I just signed up...
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options

busywaterbending - great idea on the meetup group! I just signed up...

Me, too.

Some people are opposed to social media groups like facebook and google+ so it's my opinion that moving to those websites or that format is, while easy, still not a workable idea.

Meetup is a lot different than those, but one does have to sign up for an account. I'm looking forward to see what Grokette's blog will look like.

And, for those leaving, what will you use for food diary?
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    Welcome to the meetup.com group, it's pretty safe there, and I posted up my own stat xls. and my own photo album to share w/ everyone who will join. I hope you guys will feel comfortable enough to do so on there too. I will use MFP food diary. I like having it. I'm looking forward to Grokette's blog for wisdom and paleo advice too!

I love how paleo has worked so quickly on reversing such horrible health problems for me. A cavity that was xrayed and diagnosed by a Dentist July 2011 was eliminated. A second dentist xrayed me again for prep to fill in the cavity during yesterday's visit. NO CAVITY! I am so amazed. I had no idea fat and protein can fill in and eliminate cavities! wow. Xrays don't lie. I'm scheduling bloodwork with my gastroenterologist for November. I have to be at least 4 weeks out from the antibiotics to get a true reading. I already know that my diabetes is gone, and I'm hoping the low carb lifestyle will eliminate my hypoglycemia.

I think I need to grab my med. records and post them on the meetup.com group page for proof. Too amazing. Thank God I discovered MFP and the paleo thread.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I wonder about this....my daughter and I do not have celiac disease, but we are both very allergic to grasses. We did a food "sensitivity" test for her, and wheat came back as something she is sensitive to. Not technically allergic, but definitely sensitive. She will not be happy (being a grumpy teenager, 14 yo.), but she may be going gluten-free, as well.

You really may want to try it.

One of the biggest symptoms for me was my guts- They told me I had a stomach virus when I was in high school, they called it IBS as an adult. The fact of the matter was I would get debilitating stomach cramps, diarreah and in some cases (like eating a bag of baby carrots) a result not unlike food poisoning (vomiting, cramping, diarreah, chills etc...). I lived like this for THIRTY YEARS. I just figured that's how I was made. When talking to my allergy doctor she asked about BMs and food poisoning etc... and all i could think was "What the hell does my IBS have to do with the fact that I've had a sinus infection and bronchitis for 6 months?"

Honestly, her perscription of a new way of eating (basically paleo) completely changed my life. I get that eating this way isn't for everyone and there are sacrifices that you have to make that many don't want to or can't fathom but I will never go back.

If she had just prescribed yet another drug I would still be fat and perpetually ill.
    She's the first doc to prescribe me a new way of eating and a netti-pot instead of 3 more drugs they get paid to sell...

Hope you are able to help her. You can even approach it like my doc did- we did a food "bootcamp" we cut out everything all at once for an entire month. I was at that point to assess how I felt and could start adding things back one at a time. Only one thing and if I had ANY symptoms (wheezing, congestion, stuffy nose, stomach cramps, loose stool) it was permanently off the list. I would also REALLY recommend doing this in the winter (or when the allergens are VERY low) so you don't mix food symptoms with airborn.

Good luck!
    :drinker:
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options

You really may want to try it.

One of the biggest symptoms for me was my guts- They told me I had a stomach virus when I was in high school, they called it IBS as an adult. The fact of the matter was I would get debilitating stomach cramps, diarreah and in some cases (like eating a bag of baby carrots) a result not unlike food poisoning (vomiting, cramping, diarreah, chills etc...). I lived like this for THIRTY YEARS. I just figured that's how I was made. When talking to my allergy doctor she asked about BMs and food poisoning etc... and all i could think was "What the hell does my IBS have to do with the fact that I've had a sinus infection and bronchitis for 6 months?"

Honestly, her perscription of a new way of eating (basically paleo) completely changed my life. I get that eating this way isn't for everyone and there are sacrifices that you have to make that many don't want to or can't fathom but I will never go back.

If she had just prescribed yet another drug I would still be fat and perpetually ill.
    She's the first doc to prescribe me a new way of eating and a netti-pot instead of 3 more drugs they get paid to sell...

Hope you are able to help her. You can even approach it like my doc did- we did a food "bootcamp" we cut out everything all at once for an entire month. I was at that point to assess how I felt and could start adding things back one at a time. Only one thing and if I had ANY symptoms (wheezing, congestion, stuffy nose, stomach cramps, loose stool) it was permanently off the list. I would also REALLY recommend doing this in the winter (or when the allergens are VERY low) so you don't mix food symptoms with airborn.

Good luck!
    :drinker:

Along with eating a grain/gluten free diet and my neti pot, I love this product:

Nasal Spray from Xlear®
    Nasal Relief with Xylitol Nasal Spray

Our Nasal Spray is a combination of xylitol and saline nasal spray that has shown to be effective in soothing and moisturizing the sinuses and nasal passages.

The Xlear Nasal Spray line contains xylitol, purified water, salt, and grapefruit seed extract as a preservative. Using xylitol nasal spray allows us to have a hyper-osmotic solution which helps pull moisture toward it. This action keeps the nasal passages and sinuses moist and clean for a much longer time than saline alone. Xylitol is the ingredient that sets our nasal spray apart from all of the other nasal sprays on the market.

The Xlear Nasal Spray line are all natural products, we do not use chemical antihistamines or decongestants that can leave your airways and sinuses dry. When your sinuses and airways are dry it leaves them vulnerable for increased infections. If you want to learn more about xylitol in nasal spray applications you can visit the Research Page.
    Xlear® Nasal Spray - Pump-Mist

Get the classic Xlear® Nasal Spray formula, with optimal amounts of xylitol, in a gentle, easy-to-inhale mist dispenser.

http://www.xlear.com/nasal-spray.aspx
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    http://www.facebook.com/v/280862525267759 - quick flow bowl run. Working on the pumping up and down off those walls. Freakin workout. fun skate day, 4th hour and the legs had had it :) Tons of awesome fun and food. Taco Cabana 1/2 chicken with sour cream, avacado, lettuce, cilantro, salsa, lime juice hold the rice and beans! yum.
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    Evening everyone!!! I spent my sunday getting groceries and preparing primal meals for the week :smile:
    I just wanted to share this recipe I found online for grain free crackers. They are to die for!!!
    I made 3 varieties, plain, parmesan, garlic and onion.

http://cavemanfood.blogspot.com/2009/04/grain-free-almond-crackers.html
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    It's still warm where I am, this may not appeal to those in cooler climes right now but this dinner came together in about 10 minutes so I wanted to share an easy meal idea.

Seared Peppercorn Crusted Ahi Tuna with Baby Mixed Green Salad

salad:
    bag of baby greens
    avocado- halved, flesh scored and then scooped out into chunks
    1/4 small red onion, finely chopped
    grape, cherry or other small tomatoes

dressing:
    extra virgin olive oil
    rice wine vinegar (ratio oil to vinegar- not quite 2:1)
    splash of toasted sesame oil
    splash of honey for balance
    salt to taste
    toss with salad before serving

ahi tuna:
    sprinkle both sides of tuna steak liberally with fresh cracked pepper, press gently to help it adhere
    sear in a dry skillet over medium high heat, about a minute to minute & a half on each side
    remove to plate, let rest a few minutes, then slice across the grain and serve atop the salad

I also just bought the Primal Blueprint 21 Day Transformation for my daughter. I'm hoping it helps her get on track since she's been struggling and it looks like a great resource to lend to friends and family.

(edited recipe)
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading the 21 Day Total Body Transformation, and plan on starting to journal starting tomorrow. I like having a plan.

Okay, I should be asleep.
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    hi everyone. I'm posting allot and see that most of you have joined the meetup private group page. Cool. Don't forget to grab the .xls spreadsheet for yourself on there.

Yesterday, I put on some size 1 shorts that I've not been able to wear in 2 years, due to my upper thighs being too bulging with fatty saddlebags. Yesterday, no huge bulge in the shorts, just a little one that is barely noticable! Wow. I can't wait to measure at the end of the week to see how i'm doing! That's with only one week of being able to get any leg strength training in due to the dog bite from the 6th of Oct. The dog bite wound on my calf is finally healing up. Looks like I have knee ligamental damage too, but continued acupuncture and safe movement with a leg wrap is helping the healing process.

Due to the mega depletion of my muscle gycogen stores from the past 3 weeks of low carbing it, yesterday I ate 107g of carbs, up about 50g from where I was last week. That one day of restoring and sleeping in this am has me ready to run a mile. LOL, but I need to rest my legs from Sat.'s burn so it's upper body for me today. Hope you all are maintaining rest and a stress free exercise schedule! Rest is important.

:) Keep up the good work everyone!
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Some people are opposed to social media groups like facebook and google+ so it's my opinion that moving to those websites or that format is, while easy, still not a workable idea.

Out of curiosity, in what way would people be opposed to these social media groups? How is "meetingup.com" different (I don't have an account, but I've looked through the site)?

So we don't hijack this thread, maybe you could message me. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I'm just a very big user of google+, facebook, twitter, blogging, etc...and I guess I don't "get" why other people wouldn't (and I'd like to understand). As well, all my "in person" friends are computer geeks, so they don't understand the aversion either.

Don't forget to grab the .xls spreadsheet for yourself on there.

If you share a spreadsheet using say...google docs, then everyone can just update directly (no need for anyone to download or send back to you). You can share it with a limited number of people too.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone............

I am focused and ready to end the month strongly!!! Took my dogs running / walking this morning and enjoyed a beautiful fall sunrise. Breakfast dishes are done and my living room is clean..........shower taken and now at work.

I am IR this morning and when I break my fast I have 1/4 pound of grass fed beef that was browned in the pan and then marinated in home made salsa and I have a sprinkling of freshly grated raw milk cheddar and I also brought in a 4 egg ham and cheese omelette.

My tummy should be happy by the time I am done.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all!

I have a NSV from this weekend. We went to the state fair and I could actually fit into a couple of the kiddie rides with my son. We rode the swings and this one Jeep ride that goes through the jungle. The bars closed and the chains linked and I was able to ride with him.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all!

I have a NSV from this weekend. We went to the state fair and I could actually fit into a couple of the kiddie rides with my son. We rode the swings and this one Jeep ride that goes through the jungle. The bars closed and the chains linked and I was able to ride with him.

Congrats, Susan! That must have been a great feeling to be able to share that experience with him.