October Whole 30 for Paleo/Primal Support Peeps

Options

Replies

• busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    hi all,

I use stevia from Trader Joes in my tea. I use apple sauce in baking.

When I raised show dogs, since they are carnivores, we only fed them raw chicken and beef.

Chipolte Grill, stay away if you have Gluten sensitivities! They use msg in their adobo and soy sauce (wheat based, not soy based) marinades. Also, their chicken is not organic, so probably full of modified starches and msg fill broth from their supplier. They have a nice sounding menu and web site, but don't let it fool you. Their cheeses have veg. rennet instead of cow rennet, which means gluten. I personally have looked into eating there, it's Not a good place according to the managers we've talked with. Their website says otherwise, but it's a marketing gimmick for those people who like to think they can eat gluten free and can get away with it with no IBS or Celiac consequence if they do. Taco Cabana is the good alternative!

Always watch out for Mexican grills. They tend to use imitation sour cream, imitation and processed cheeses, msg filled adobo seasonings, soy sauce, and maltodextrin in their ingredients. Not fun for people like me. Avoid them like the plague and just hit up the local BBQ joint, making sure they don't add a grill base to your brisket. Or, go hit up a Taco Cabana, lol. Did i mention Taco Cabana?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    She likes being in charge of making herself feel good. When my friends kids grow up not able to recognize real food as edible and not able to pinpoint why they feel so listless, depressed and unwell, my kid will be seducing them with stories of what new Primal feast we cooked together. When she watches kids begin to have body image issues, she encourages them that if they don't like the way they feel or look, they can always make different choices like her mom did or she does.

She is 6 now. What on earth will come of all the little Paleo-ites, Groklings and real food loving tots when they all grow up, found communities and blossom?!? I don't have a clue but I can't wait!!!

I look forward to seeing this as well. I wish I had started this path when my kids were that little. As teens, they've absorbed and owned some of it to varying degrees of success. I'm curious to see how this serves them as they get older.
  • Chicagolopez
    Chicagolopez Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump well said
  • Chicagolopez
    Chicagolopez Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump well said
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone on their NSVs. Those are great and really good inspiration!

My almost 4 year old is 90% primal by his choice without even realizing it. Last night he did have some peas in his mixed veggies, but he had roast chicken, grapes and mixed veggies for dinner. I notice he doesn't eat the potatoes or pasta normally at school either. And he takes sandwich fillings off the bread. He prefers to eat his hamburgers like Mommy does sans bun.
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    hi all,

I use stevia from Trader Joes in my tea. I use apple sauce in baking.

When I raised show dogs, since they are carnivores, we only fed them raw chicken and beef.

Chipolte Grill, stay away if you have Gluten sensitivities! They use msg in their adobo and soy sauce (wheat based, not soy based) marinades. Also, their chicken is not organic, so probably full of modified starches and msg fill broth from their supplier. They have a nice sounding menu and web site, but don't let it fool you. Their cheeses have veg. rennet instead of cow rennet, which means gluten. I personally have looked into eating there, it's Not a good place according to the managers we've talked with. Their website says otherwise, but it's a marketing gimmick for those people who like to think they can eat gluten free and can get away with it with no IBS or Celiac consequence if they do. Taco Cabana is the good alternative!

Always watch out for Mexican grills. They tend to use imitation sour cream, imitation and processed cheeses, msg filled adobo seasonings, soy sauce, and maltodextrin in their ingredients. Not fun for people like me. Avoid them like the plague and just hit up the local BBQ joint, making sure they don't add a grill base to your brisket. Or, go hit up a Taco Cabana, lol. Did i mention Taco Cabana?

wow, amazing, because I looked on their site and they make it look so good LOL (of course!) that makes sense. And although it is not SEVERE it is enough that I noticed it both times, tummy aches and bloating- up in weight today too even though I didn't "cheat". No biggie, it is just water gain but now I know to stay away if I am wanting to stay "pure" and feel good!
    thanks for the info!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Just a few days left in October kids!!! How are we doing?!

Due to injury I have unfortunately not made any MAJOR strength gains this month BUT it is a leg day so we'll see what happens... Maybe I can push out 245 on the squat just for good measure. :wink:

On the up side I also didn't really lose any ground- my lifting numbers are still the same.

Amazingly, I dropped 3lbs and some change last week giving up dairy (with the exception of a couple stinky cheeses) and sugar all together (It's been 2 weeks now since I've sneaked a chocolate at work- in fact I turned down the crack-like chocolate covered almond butter toffee yesterday!). I feel SO much better. I'm pleased with the results of this little challenge and the longer I go without the crap the better I feel! I'm doing a final weigh in on Saturday morning, I'll do some measurements and a final round of pictures too...

Can't wait to see how y'all did!!

:drinker:
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    Evening everyone! Hope all well. Work has been crazy hence the lack of posts (I do read the thread 2x a day though) :smile:

I haven't been drinking coffee everyday since I went Primal but during the times that I miss the taste and the wonderful aroma, I try to have a cup or 2 a week. The funny thing is, every time I have coffee, I get the jitters, my heart seems to beat faster, I feel lightheaded and it seems like my body is no longer used to consuming coffee :sick: Maybe I need to switch to decaf at those rare time I have coffee? LOL
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    I am still here reading.
    Only after 3 days of starting the whole30 I had someone say Oh you will stuff your metabolism. Now I know this is wrong, but it made me question myself, and I stopped doing it :(
    No more questioning myself! I know this is the lifestyle I want, and I want it for my children too.
    So back into it :)
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    adastra47 posted this link to an article that talks about how starvation diets (diets of extremely limited calories) actually lower your metabolisim!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/10/27/141769832/hormones-and-metabolism-conspire-against-dieters?sc=fb&cc=fp

It's an excellent reminder that exercise and well balanced eating is key to shedding body fat, increasing health, and maintaining good hormone levels in the body.

I am interested in learning more about resetting my leptin levels. Momof8, you're doing that, right? How's it going and is there any research on this specific way of upping your metabolisim for optimum health?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    adastra47 posted this link to an article that talks about how starvation diets (diets of extremely limited calories) actually lower your metabolisim!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/10/27/141769832/hormones-and-metabolism-conspire-against-dieters?sc=fb&cc=fp

It's an excellent reminder that exercise and well balanced eating is key to shedding body fat, increasing health, and maintaining good hormone levels in the body.

I am interested in learning more about resetting my leptin levels. Momof8, you're doing that, right? How's it going and is there any research on this specific way of upping your metabolisim for optimum health?

Hey BusyWaterBending -

I have been researching this myself and here it is in a nutshell............ I am starting on Monday.
    Restoring leptin sensitivity should allow the brain to naturally regulate energy homeostasis to allow the body to adjust to its correct weight naturally. This is based on leptin being the master control hormone in the neuro-regulation of appetite.

It's laid out here:

http://jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/

The FAQs are useful too:

http://jackkruse.com/the-leptin-rx-faqs/

To start - do this for 6-8 weeks:

Eat paleo/primal as per Robb Wolf or Mark Sisson
    ~50g protein within 30 minutes of waking (if hunger/cravings persist add more protein)
    No snacking
    4-5 hours betweens meals (3 meals/day - can drop to 2 if you are not hungry)
    No snacking
    No heavy exercise (walking is fine)
    Did I mention no snacking?
    50g carb limit (25g limit for those with a lot of weight to lose)
    Determine whether you have reset your leptin according to his guidelines.

After reset you can:
    1. Relax the 30 minute breakfast rule (still eat protein - the timing can relax)
    2. Continue eating paleo/primal
    3. Eat low carb if you want to lose weight (or add some to compensate for exercise)
    4. No snacking between meals
    5. Skip meals or IF if you are not hungry
    6. Start exercising (HIIT/heavy weights)

He has more info on supps and various testing that might be useful for people with specific issues, but that's basically it.

He strongly encourages liberal use of coconut oil and green tea.

For more Paleo hacks: http://paleohacks.com/questions/72955/in-a-nutshell-what-is-the-leptin-reset-protocol#ixzz1c68TCSa3
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Anna wrote:
    Just a few days left in October kids!!! How are we doing?!

I look different.

I feel different.

I don't get my weigh in until Tuesday, Nov. 1...can't wait for the measurements!

My double chin is almost gone.

My energy is up.

I have less insomnia, better rest.

This has been a very difficult month for me personally but despite stressors, I'm doing very well.

(edited for readability)
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Hey BusyWaterBending -

I have been researching this myself and here it is in a nutshell............ I am starting on Monday.
    Restoring leptin sensitivity should allow the brain to naturally regulate energy homeostasis to allow the body to adjust to its correct weight naturally. This is based on leptin being the master control hormone in the neuro-regulation of appetite.

It's laid out here:

http://jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/

The FAQs are useful too:

http://jackkruse.com/the-leptin-rx-faqs/

To start - do this for 6-8 weeks:

Eat paleo/primal as per Robb Wolf or Mark Sisson
    ~50g protein within 30 minutes of waking (if hunger/cravings persist add more protein)
    No snacking
    4-5 hours betweens meals (3 meals/day - can drop to 2 if you are not hungry)
    No snacking
    No heavy exercise (walking is fine)
    Did I mention no snacking?
    50g carb limit (25g limit for those with a lot of weight to lose)
    Determine whether you have reset your leptin according to his guidelines.

After reset you can:
    1. Relax the 30 minute breakfast rule (still eat protein - the timing can relax)
    2. Continue eating paleo/primal
    3. Eat low carb if you want to lose weight (or add some to compensate for exercise)
    4. No snacking between meals
    5. Skip meals or IF if you are not hungry
    6. Start exercising (HIIT/heavy weights)

He has more info on supps and various testing that might be useful for people with specific issues, but that's basically it.

He strongly encourages liberal use of coconut oil and green tea.

For more Paleo hacks: http://paleohacks.com/questions/72955/in-a-nutshell-what-is-the-leptin-reset-protocol#ixzz1c68TCSa3
    thanks grokette for psoting the info.. Yes I am doing the reset.. what to report is much much better sleep.. my skin is softer even dry dry areas like the bottom of my feet..more energy and better focus.. not as moody or depressed, very little pms which used to be a major problem- ( sorry to the guys) I lost 4 lbs the first month of the reset ..nothing since but have maintained..my hair is thicker and more shiney... I wish I could report a ton of weight loss and massive inches lost as well but *sigh * that is not the case.. so I am going to continue the reset until weight loss does kick in. the 50 grams of protein in the am is still pretty hard to get down some days. the cons.. I have experienced some dizziness/vertigo.. especially late at night when I am really tired.
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    thank you! I am seriously considering it. I don't think I need it, but a few weeks of serious low carbing would probably be a good way to assist my body in a type of "food fast". http://jackkruse.com/the-leptin-rx-faqs/ has me wondering if a few more weeks at a very low carb diet would be good to counteract my years of over exercising as well as my past couple of years of hypoglycemia? A few more weeks of low carbing to save my stem cells.... hmmmm.

I found getting the 50 g of protein in the am the easiest to do with a jay robb egg white protein drink and a tough of orange juice. Most of the time I just add water. On another note, yesterday I accidently pulled out two hairs from my head at my desk. Wow, the pain of the yanking out just 2 (I checked!) hairs was immense. I don't recollect a mistake like that ever being so painful. If I get stronger, fuller hair I honestly would be happy. I think my roots are definetely stronger for the past 2 months of paleo dieting. :)
  • Ayla20103005
    Options
    Feeling good about this :D
    The more I read (i bought all the books/docos suggested on the whole30 site) the more excited about doing this I get.
    breakfast today was an omelette with bacon cooked in coconut oil, it also had onion, baby spinach and tomato in it. Delicious!
    Just enjoying a midmorning coffee with coconut oil and double cream.
    Lunch will be turkey breast and a huge coleslaw.
    dinner steak with caullfilower rice I think.
    I am not going to question myself again, this lifestyle just makes sense :D

Not tracking specifically, as the numbers used to do my head in, but this looks relatively low carb yes?
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    <shaking head>
    So, Dr Oz is telling everyone that the Prehistoric Diet (Paleo/Primal/Cave Man) is the way to go...explaining how "studies show that people who eat only plant-based foods generally consume fewer calories, weigh less, and have a lower risk of heart disease than non-vegetarians do." - http://goo.gl/kpJQA
    You'd figure someone would have told him that we eat meat.
    </ shaking head>
  • Ayla20103005
    Options
    Day 2 down, and im feeling really good :D
    My children, and husband are trying what I give to them. Breakfast for them is going to be a challenge, but my husband has promised to give up the cereal now, and ill make a good breakfast every morning, and hopefully he will realise it is making him feel better, as it should. my children eat what daddy eats, so this is going to make it easier.
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    PALEO is also about being a great citizen and supporting organic and sustainable farming practices!!!

being responsible for one's food choices and supporting the growers/farmers is key! Can all the vegans and vegitarians please stop attacking the paleo, primal, "caveman" wol and get a clue!!!

PALEO WAY OF LIFE IS ABOUT HEALTH,
    SUPPORTING THE COMMUNITY,
    SUSTAINABLE ORGANIC FARMING
    AND LOVE FOR THE EARTH AND EACH OTHER.

Studies prove that low carb dieting RESETS your metabolisim,
    improves hormone levesl,
    turns you from a sugar burning to a fat burning system,
    erases numerous health problems,
    and safely removes unwanted and unnecessary body fat!

AND will not cause anemia, dementia, or any ill health effects.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Day 2 down, and im feeling really good :D
    My children, and husband are trying what I give to them. Breakfast for them is going to be a challenge, but my husband has promised to give up the cereal now, and ill make a good breakfast every morning, and hopefully he will realise it is making him feel better, as it should. my children eat what daddy eats, so this is going to make it easier.

Great news that you're getting so much support on the home front. My daughter is 6 and has transitioned from daily oatmeal or whole grain cereals for breakfast, pre-Paleo/Primal livng to eggs, bacon, sausage, last night's meat and veggie leftovers, nuts, fruits, sardines, canned or fresh salmon. We no longer think of breakfast in terms of traditional cultural meals but in terms of grams of fat/protein: Leptin Reset for me or enough fuel to get daughter through growth spurts, athletic activities or a busy day.

We now look at food as fuel for making us healthy over a lifetime - something we choose to consume to make us stronger, smarter, happier. We do not always eat perfectly but in any field of choices, choose the most helpful/least harmful ones based on our experiences at our Whole 30, Primal, Paleo, gluten/grain free lifestyle.

Nothing is off limits for breakfast as long as it works for our bodies, fuels our dreams and gives us joy. We do not miss the "old way of living". It made us sick, weak and sad. We do not experience temptation to make ourselves miserable but elation at creating new and delicious, fun ways of making our lives better.

I find it helped to ask my daughter to live in the question of "what does this do in my body, how does it make my body feel?" Rather than me labeling foods as "bad" or "poisonous", even if that is how it felt in my body, we lived with curiosity and questions. These questions yielded an approximation of what worked better or worse and what made us feel our best. We shop each grocery trip from the place where we ask "Of all our options, what makes us feel our best, laugh the most, get strongest?"

When my daughter began to come up with her own experiences of gluten free was less pain, grain free was no pain and eating Primal/Paleo meals fueled her with calm, balanced, athletic energy, she chose this life for herself. She is completely encouraged, as her digestion has been healing, to experiment from time to time with adding back in something she was previously allergic to or feeling unwell from (example: bananas) and see if it is as bad/worse, improved or no longer a problem. In this way of thinking for her, she is becoming responsive to her experiences of food/fuels and not rigidly forbidden to do anything that becomes more important than necessary due to the artificial limit. [Note: my kid does not experience any life-threatening allergies or this would not work.]

She doesn't see her life as limited but feels that, like Harry Potter in Hogwart's, she has special access to magical privileges. Knowledge is power, after all. Knowledge of how food works (or doesn't) in her body is the power to choose LIFE.
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    <shaking head>
    So, Dr Oz is telling everyone that the Prehistoric Diet (Paleo/Primal/Cave Man) is the way to go...explaining how "studies show that people who eat only plant-based foods generally consume fewer calories, weigh less, and have a lower risk of heart disease than non-vegetarians do." - http://goo.gl/kpJQA
    You'd figure someone would have told him that we eat meat.
    </ shaking head>

Well, it IS best to eat PLANT-Based MEAT!!! :)

LOL!