Please Keep This Post Bumped!

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    There will never be a blanket cure all for cancer. As a previous poster stated, cancer is not really a disease. It is the result of cellular degradation. There are thousands of different kinds of cells and therefore thousands of different kinds of cancer. Each one is treated differently. Cancer is not some new thing. There is documentation of Egyptian pharoahs dying from different forms of cancer centuries ago. The most that cancer research will ever accomplish is to find new, faster ways to stop the process. But mankind will always be fighting a battle against cancer. It is the natural end of a cell's life cycle.

I do want to say, however, that I do support cancer research. I only posted this to dispute those who believe in some lame conspiracy theory that the government and Big Pharma are effectively withholding the "magical cure" for the sake of making money. Give me a break!
  • lemonychick
    lemonychick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Since we're wishing for stuff ... I'd like to see a cure for AIDS, an end to world hunger and world peace.
  • lisamc03
    lisamc03 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump
    People also need to take care of their bodies to begin with, I have relatives that have died from cancer, but they also chose to smoke or drink heavily their entire lives. Our body is a gift, we should treat it as such. (I know this doesn't pertain to every case)
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    RIP Steve Jobs
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Thank you Steve Jobs for all of your work. You made a profound impact around the world.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Peace and Love, my friends. Just calm down already.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Bump. WOOT for Steve Jobs!:cry:
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    bumperoooo skippidy-dee-dot dooo
  • FitnessElle
    Options
    Bump.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Oh, Steve Jobs...the whole world is saddened.
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

It's sad to see anybody die at such a young age, but get a grip, he wasn't the Messiah. Regarding a 'cure' for cancer, huge advances have been made in the last decades and cancers that were life-sentences before are now treatable and in some cases curable.

RIP Steve Jobs and anybody else that dies young, but a little perspective required.

I lost both my father and one of my uncles to cancer (my father to bowel cancer and my uncle to throat/lung cancer.

To me, it doesn't seem like there has been any advances made in curing cancer.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    there are some problems that can't be fixed by chucking money at them.

RIP Steve
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There will never be a blanket cure all for cancer. As a previous poster stated, cancer is not really a disease. It is the result of cellular degradation. There are thousands of different kinds of cells and therefore thousands of different kinds of cancer. Each one is treated differently. Cancer is not some new thing. There is documentation of Egyptian pharoahs dying from different forms of cancer centuries ago. The most that cancer research will ever accomplish is to find new, faster ways to stop the process. But mankind will always be fighting a battle against cancer. It is the natural end of a cell's life cycle.

I do want to say, however, that I do support cancer research. I only posted this to dispute those who believe in some lame conspiracy theory that the government and Big Pharma are effectively withholding the "magical cure" for the sake of making money. Give me a break!

very well put
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    bump
  • patilee
    patilee Posts: 125
    Options
    Bump
  • tigereyz30
    Options
    Well said and... bump