<3 support group for women eating 2000+ calories per day <3

Options

Replies

• B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Kim- I use a HRM so I think the calories I burn are fairly accurate, but yeah the HRM is never the same as what MFP says!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I'm the one that brought up the "ditch the scale". I actually weigh myself twice a day sometimes. The deal is it doesn't affect me like it used to. I'll weigh myself one day and I'm 155, then the next day I'm 152, then a few days later I'm 149. I will weigh myself in the morning, eat a protein shake, sweat my *kitten* off in the workout, weigh myself again and be down 3 pounds - in 3 hours!! The only thing I want to make sure of is that my fluctuation doesn't go from 148-155 to 155 - 165. That's the only reason I weigh myself. I just feel SO bad for the girls that see the extra two pounds on the scale and just berate themselves and wonder what they're doing wrong...it's like, well, keep checking back and if it stays that way, then yes, maybe change something up, but there's a REALLY good chance that scale is going back down again. OR - just forget about it and pull out the tape!

Yeah it kills me when people have a tiny fluctuation and they're like "OH GOOOOOD THIS IS BECAUSE I ATE 200 CALORIES OVER ON TUESDAY"

Uh yeah - No. I have written up the "a 1lb/week loss is a 500 calorie deficit, you can eat 300 over EVERY SINGLE DAY and still lose weight" so many times that I've just stopped trying.

Do you go by the amount of burnt calories fitness pal lists? I think they are way to high! I usually pick either the light option or sometimes moderate even if I'm doing a vigorous workout. For instance the other day i had a moderate run and I chose the 5mph option 384 calories burnt. If im not sure what to choose I underestimate my workout to be on the safe side.

I have an HRM now and I found that on the lower end the MFP estimates are fairly good for SOME things - like walking is quite accurate for me as is running. But everything else is WAY high.
    Any advice for when you WANT to eat 2000 calories but CAN'T, due to being somewhere/doing something with no food available or can't stop to eat?

Other than ...eating? keeping stuff in your purse to eat? Grab a bag of trail mix from the vending machine and eat?

I'd say on a day you think will be busy, don't schedule out your food so tightly - if you need to chow down one quick food or think you'll only get one chance to eat just have a bigger meal.

IF that doesn't work for you then -- I really wouldn't worry about eating under ONE day anymore than I worry about eating OVER one day. Stuff happens - the next day make sure you eat.
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Also, I feel way out of the loop, but what is bodymedia?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Any advice for when you WANT to eat 2000 calories but CAN'T, due to being somewhere/doing something with no food available or can't stop to eat?

For example yesterday I ate a good breakfast before leaving the house (my diary is open). I logged a bunch of "work snacks" throughout the day so I would be up to 1600 when I got home at 6PM. But work is work, and sometimes if it is busy I can NOT stop to eat. What do I do? I can't tell the line of customers "go away. I want to eat". So I end up busting *kitten* for hours with no break. Yesterday I ended up deleting half of the stuff I intended to eat, and I ended up getting home at 7:30PM, bodymedia said I was over 2000 already, and I had only consumed 681!

My honey had just cooked up a pan of stir fried veggies and kielbasa to split, and I ate the whole thing myself, he was SOL, but he let me have it, lol.

Then I was about to crash and my tummy was rumbling so I ate a chocolate peanut butter protein bar right before bed at 10. AT that point the bodymedia was at 2200 and I was only up to 1386! :frown:

Work has been crazy lately, as I have 3 new employees so I am training these 3 girls when they get out of school so I have to be there late, but I still have to open most days, so I am having some 11 or 12 hour days.
    Today I am working 8-6 but then I have to go to bed as soon as I get home and eat because I have to get up 3:40 Saturday morning because I'm opening.

Any ideas? :frown: I'm exhausted and crabby all the time and it is affecting my home life too.

could you maybe drink some of your calories? juice or milkshake/ protien shake?
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    By the way - I actually have a good relationship with my scale. I weigh myself pretty often but kind of randomly other than my 'official' weekly weigh in but lately I've decided that even weekly weighins are 'too frequent'. I think its fine to check every week, but week to week fluctuations and "plateaus" are normal and to be encouraged. If you are literally losing a measurable amount every single week like clockwork, unless you are very overweight you're probably losing too fast. I was losing regularly every week until I hit about 180 (30lbs 'overweight' but BF wise I was 30% which is considered the high end of healthy) and then it kind of stalled out -- upped my calories and lost again, but then it was a 3 week "plateau" followed by a `1.5lb loss even though it wasn't like I was eating a HUGE deficit that week, its just that a lot of things happen and a pound or 2 (or 4) is just a random little fluctuation.

So anyway - I weigh myself often but I don't consider it meaningful as anything other than seeing my general fluctuation range. I only consider long term trends meaningful.

I totally agree. I'm the one that brought up the "ditch the scale". I actually weigh myself twice a day sometimes. The deal is it doesn't affect me like it used to. I'll weigh myself one day and I'm 155, then the next day I'm 152, then a few days later I'm 149. I will weigh myself in the morning, eat a protein shake, sweat my *kitten* off in the workout, weigh myself again and be down 3 pounds - in 3 hours!! The only thing I want to make sure of is that my fluctuation doesn't go from 148-155 to 155 - 165. That's the only reason I weigh myself. I just feel SO bad for the girls that see the extra two pounds on the scale and just berate themselves and wonder what they're doing wrong...it's like, well, keep checking back and if it stays that way, then yes, maybe change something up, but there's a REALLY good chance that scale is going back down again. OR - just forget about it and pull out the tape!

Thats me! I let the scale dictate how I feel and I hate that! But I am too afraid to not weigh myself cause if I want to make sure I dont keep going up. That being said, I try to limit my weigh ins to 1/week. I hate that damn scale. Except for when I love it. WHich is hardly ever.

Been reading Tom Venuto burn the fat feed the muscle. Some interesting stuff he has written. Alot regarding eating more to feed muscle and working out more to achieve calorie defecit rather than 'starving".
    Aiming for 2000 today!
    Hope you all have a great day!!!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    could you maybe drink some of your calories? juice or milkshake/ protien shake?

Mmmm juice! Milkshake! that's an awesome suggestion - actually I had some vanilla milkshake yesterday (my bf brought it home wiht our in'n'out) and it was soooooooo good I wanted to drink the whole thing but I'd gotten a doubledouble so that was a nono.

Also I *love* juice - not all the time or in the quantities that my bf can drink it but I NEVER have it anymore because I'd rather eat my calories.
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Phew, finally managed to read through the rest of the thread, so feel like I can join in without asking something that was answered back on page 5!!
    To answer some questions - usual quick weekday breakfast is cereal (a heathly kind, not one that has loads of sugar on it). Favourite weekend breakfast is poached eggs on potato waffles, brought to me by my boyfriend, who makes the best poached eggs...
    Favourite part of my body... hmmm... maybe my boobs which are tiny but I like them that way...

I'm interested in what you are saying about MFP overestimating the calories burned for exercise. I'll have to compare with what my Garmin HRM doofer says - though that might not be so useful as it used to belong to my boyfriend (he upgraded...) and I assume it works off heart rate zones and mine are very different to his.

Oh, and I have a chemistry degree, an MSc in Computer Science and work in computing - but I am a girl, honest!!! :laugh:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Kim- I use a HRM so I think the calories I burn are fairly accurate, but yeah the HRM is never the same as what MFP says!

How off is it and which estimates are the most inaccurate? cardio? strength? videos?
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The more I read the hungrier I get! :happy:

I've been on MFP for over a month and now that I'm able to exercise more I keep changing my calorie goals to make sure I'm getting enough fuel. At first I was eating too little and it made me tired and cranky, but I've seen a vast improvement in my energy levels since I started eating a bit more. I burn around 300-500 cals daily according to MFP (I don't own a HRM) running, walking and doing circuit training and I've just changed my settings so that I'm aiming to eat a minimum of 1570 cals. It's not a lot, but it's a start. I don't eat meat so getting enough protein is a challenge, but I do try to add milk, cottage cheese, natural yoghurt, tuna or prawns to my meals to bulk them up.

Feel free to add me as a friend, I could use some advice from you knowledgeable ladies!
    Options
    The more I read the hungrier I get! :happy:

I've been on MFP for over a month and now that I'm able to exercise more I keep changing my calorie goals to make sure I'm getting enough fuel. At first I was eating too little and it made me tired and cranky, but I've seen a vast improvement in my energy levels since I started eating a bit more. I burn around 300-500 cals daily according to MFP (I don't own a HRM) running, walking and doing circuit training and I've just changed my settings so that I'm aiming to eat a minimum of 1570 cals. It's not a lot, but it's a start. I don't eat meat so getting enough protein is a challenge, but I do try to add milk, cottage cheese, natural yoghurt, tuna or prawns to my meals to bulk them up.

Feel free to add me as a friend, I could use some advice from you knowledgeable ladies!

Are you willing to up your calories to 2000 for your gross intake? I don't think 1570 is consistent with the mission on this thread although I'd love to give you advice if you want it. For protein you might consider:

1. protein powder
    2. fatty fish
    3. beans
    4. lentils
    5. nuts
    6. seeds

Honestly, most people do get enough protein as the body only requires about .8g per kg of body weight which is less than 1/2 a gram per pound. More is beneficial for some people but not essential. You have to do what works for YOU and so long as you're getting ~1/2 gram per pound (minimum) then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    What's our question of the day today? I would ask one, but my brain is mush right now, anyone else?
  • xcjumper
    xcjumper Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Quick hello to my 2k girls! Had a 10 hour class for work yesterday and again today. No computer there....waaa!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Clean eating? No. I try to do organic when possible but especially with meats. I tried the 30DS last night. I hate working out at home!! It was a major fail! I need the gym or outside running to be motivated. I guess I will need to start lifting at the gym then...

Have a great day everyone!
    Options
    haha...that makes me feel good that you want a question!
    QUESTION(s) OF THE DAY:

What is your favorite ab move?
    Favorite arm move?
    Favorite legs move?
    Favorite workout video?
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Are you willing to up your calories to 2000 for your gross intake? I don't think 1570 is consistent with the mission on this thread although I'd love to give you advice if you want it.

Thanks for the reply. If I eat my exercise cals I'd be over 2000 on most days. My intention was to keep 1570 as a minimum (for now) and start eating more and more of my exercise cals in the future. I'd rather have a transition stage where I get used to eating more if that's ok.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I'm not at 2k YET (working on it) but I came in to say you know what I love about this group?? Looking at all of the profile pics of you ladies eating anywhere from 2-3k per day (on workout days), you all have FANTASTIC bodies. I wish more people on this board would come in here and realize that it's okay to eat (healthy!) as long as you're moving too! I get so pissed at all the 1200-calorie people because why STARVE yourself, especially when you're working out, just so you can lose weight faster? Weight loss shouldn't be a race!

I'll be back once I reach that threshold of 2k. :smile:
    Options

Are you willing to up your calories to 2000 for your gross intake? I don't think 1570 is consistent with the mission on this thread although I'd love to give you advice if you want it.

Thanks for the reply. If I eat my exercise cals I'd be over 2000 on most days. My intention was to keep 1570 as a minimum (for now) and start eating more and more of my exercise cals in the future. I'd rather have a transition stage where I get used to eating more if that's ok.
    absolutely stick around BUT please consider eating those exercise calories...at least some of them and work toward getting to 2000 on workout days :)
    Options
    I'm not at 2k YET (working on it) but I came in to say you know what I love about this group?? Looking at all of the profile pics of you ladies eating anywhere from 2-3k per day (on workout days), you all have FANTASTIC bodies. I wish more people on this board would come in here and realize that it's okay to eat (healthy!) as long as you're moving too! I get so pissed at all the 1200-calorie people because why STARVE yourself, especially when you're working out, just so you can lose weight faster? Weight loss shouldn't be a race!

I'll be back once I reach that threshold of 2k. :smile:

you're so sweet. this made me smile. what's holding you back? take a leap and maybe do 2k every other day or every 2 days :)
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    QUESTION(s) OF THE DAY:

Favorite arm move?
    Favorite legs move?
    Favorite workout video?
    ab move: plank (is this allowed as it is not exactly a "move"? :wink: )
    arm move - bicep curls
    leg move - one legged squats.
    workout video - don't do them.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    QUESTION(s) OF THE DAY:

Favorite arm move?
    Favorite legs move?
    Favorite workout video?

Good Questions!

What is your favorite ab move? Probably the plank because there are so many variations to it and it makes me feel strong.
    Favorite arm move? Pull-ups!
    Favorite legs move? Lunges - well, I don't LOVE them, but they give me the best results.
    Favorite workout video? the only thing I've ever done as a video is P90x. I liked it!
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    QUESTION(s) OF THE DAY:

Favorite arm move?
    Favorite legs move?
    Favorite workout video?
    Favorite ab move- Hanging leg raises
    Favorite arm move- Bicep curl
    Favorite leg move- quats
    Favorite workout video- Turbo Fire