Autumn Leaves November '11 Challenge

Options
As the Thanksgiving holidays approach, I know there will be challenges to the goals I've set for myself here on MFP. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels the pull of all the tasty foods that are soon to come our way. Whether it's a party with a huge spread of food, or whether it's people bringing in goodies like Pumpkin or Pecan Pie, or dining out with friends or whether it's just getting cooler outside and lots of hot food sounds good, we're going to face it soon.

I'm almost done with participating in a challenge here, the first one I've ever taken. I'm not quite to my goal yet, but there's a week and a half to go and I'm going to push through. Though I haven't been 'perfect' on this, it has still been a good thing for my psyche. It's put an attainable goal out there in front of me and kept me going much more than if I hadn't taken the challenge.

So, I'd like to offer a gentle challenge for the month of November. I say gentle because it's only for 30 days and I know we'll all start getting busier and busier as the month grows longer. I propose just three things for this challenge. The third one is going to be my biggest challenge as I've put off adding Strength Training into my life and it's time for me to quite making excuses!

1. To lose 3% of your current body weight
2. Walk, run, bike, hike, treadmill, swim etc...for 15 miles a week, totalling 60 miles
3. 3 days a week do at least 15 minutes of Strength Training

I'm calling it our "Autumn Leaves" challenge which will run from Nov 1st thru Nov 30th. Weigh-ins will be on Tuesdays, except the last week which is on Wed. I did this on purpose, cuz sometimes a Monday is a hard day to weigh-in...coming on the heels of a weekend. This way we'll have that one day buffer zone!

If you'd like to put our banner up, copy and paste this info to your signature, but be sure to replace the xxx's with img:

[xxx]

http://i.imgur.com/8Rtyk.jpg

[/xxx]

Here's a link to a spreadsheet I'm building with the help of my friend. It's not quite ready for prime time yet, but should be up before the weekend. On the spreadsheet you can enter your Current weight and Goal weight. Also you can log your miles under each week and tally them in Column P to keep a running total. Under the column for the Strength Training, put a check mark for each time you worked out. "Alt v" should make a check mark...at least it does on my Mac. √ :wink:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al2TW0PcYs1tdEFpNkFxUmhFVGgyZktfUG1xSmloc2c&hl=en_US

I am a curious soul and love to read diaries, so if you're comfortable, please friend me and open up your food diary. You're welcome to do the same with mine, and I would welcome any suggestions and recipes.

Here we come, November!!!

Replies

• newdaynewme
    newdaynewme Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this challenge! any motivation that I can get I will surely take! thanks for starting it up!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    bump
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm interested, but don't know what you mean by copy and past into signature....sorry I'm a bit slow.....
  • upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm in. However, i wasn't able to fill in my name. Do I need to wait for the permission to edit or something? I have never entered a challenge so not sure how this works :ohwell:
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm interested, but don't know what you mean by copy and paste into signature....sorry I'm a bit slow.....

I'm no genius at this, but if you'll copy the info above (copy the bracketed img on top all the way to the bracketed one below), go to "Community" then look at the line that says 'Home Recent Posts My Topics Signature Search'
    Click Signature, paste it into your window, change the letters 'xxx' to 'img' above and below being sure to keep the brackets, then save your changes. Once you've done this, you should see our banner in your signature on the forums.

If anybody has a better way, please chime in!

I haven't copied mine into my signature yet as I'm out of memory til I delete my Costume Changers banner!
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    I'm in. However, i wasn't able to fill in my name. Do I need to wait for the permission to edit or something? I have never entered a challenge so not sure how this works :ohwell:

Try it now, I think I've turned on the "anyone can edit" feature properly now. And please let me know if it works for you!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Let's move that scale.
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    To get ready for the 3rd part of this challenge, I will be joining a gym at my local community college. They let you join for $20 a month, or $65 a semester. I'm told it's a very nice facility and that they have trainers too.
  • shadea4455
    shadea4455 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    So glad to have each and everyone of you joining!

I think it's safe to go ahead and add your names to the spreadsheet. If anyone knows how to make it alphabetize our names, please make it so! I'm good at a lot of things, but not at figuring that out!

Two days ago we finally got a piece of strength training equipment installed (It was just a ceiling bracket, but couldn't find a joist...handyman to the rescue!) So, I will be using our new equipment for our challenge. I took a class in in about 2 months ago. I was SOOOO sore I could barely walk. Hopefully just trying to do 15 minutes won't be too killer.

I've been on a plateau for 3 weeks. UGH! I'm hoping that if I keep plugging away, I'll make it start to move again. Don't you think adding in strength training might help? I hope so!
  • dpowell58
    dpowell58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've never done a challenge so this would be my first. I think I'm game. Maybe it will help me get past this plateau I seem to be at.
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    I've never done a challenge so this would be my first. I think I'm game. Maybe it will help me get past this plateau I seem to be at.

I know about the plateau! It's a real gritch! But we can break through, right?

I've only done one challenge (I'm at the tail end of it) and it's been a motivating tool to keep me going. I hope you find this one to be helpful. I'll be here to help, encourage and listen. Welcome!
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    I'd like to join!

Welcome aboard! When you have a moment, go sign in on the spreadsheet...that goes for all of y'all! (yes, I'm Texan)
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    I would love to join this challenge! any motivation that I can get I will surely take! thanks for starting it up!

Welcome! Looking forward to Nov 1st for our challenge to start!
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    Count me in!!

So glad to have you in this challenge...and to have you as a new friend. Welcome!
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    I'm in. Let's move that scale.

Let's! Thanks for joining in friend!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I got signed in to the document. I am ready to start!
  • The_Wallflower
    The_Wallflower Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Signed and ready!