Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Autumn Leaves November '11 Challenge

Replies

• braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Missyyclaire:

I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate, envy, and look forward to reading your posts. You are truly a motivation to me. It is admirable that you take the time out of your day to encourage us, that you have taken the time to create the spreadsheet, this challenge and most importantly motivate us. From the bottom of my heart....thank you!

I just turned 45 and I too am going about this thing the tortise way. I have tried fast/quick weight loss diets before and here I sit trying to lose it all AGAIN! But this time it's different...I'm doing it my way, without diet pills, diet plans telling me exactly what to eat, etc. I finally relaized that I know so much more than I thought I did! I'm gonna do this...no matter how long it takes. Slow and steady wins the race...this turtle is going to win!

I appreciate all that you have done. Somehow, it doesn't seem like enough...but THANK YOU!
  • Hello! 5 lbs away from Onederland! Anyone have any tips to get a biggest loser weight loss without having to workout 8 hrs a day? I've stepped it up in the workout dept. and still only lost a pound this week. I was hoping for at least 3.

That being said I'm also frustrated that I'm eating so healthy and going over my calorie goals. It's like I have to workout like a mad woman to stay in my range even though I'm not "cheating" So frustrating!

Check out my diary today so see what I'm talking about.

Angel

PS congrats to all the losers this week and don't give up to the rest of you. Lets Rock this new week!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Missyyclaire:

I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate, envy, and look forward to reading your posts. You are truly a motivation to me. It is admirable that you take the time out of your day to encourage us, that you have taken the time to create the spreadsheet, this challenge and most importantly motivate us. From the bottom of my heart....thank you!

I just turned 45 and I too am going about this thing the tortise way. I have tried fast/quick weight loss diets before and here I sit trying to lose it all AGAIN! But this time it's different...I'm doing it my way, without diet pills, diet plans telling me exactly what to eat, etc. I finally relaized that I know so much more than I thought I did! I'm gonna do this...no matter how long it takes. Slow and steady wins the race...this turtle is going to win!

I appreciate all that you have done. Somehow, it doesn't seem like enough...but THANK YOU!

You are so very kind. This has been such a great safe place to come and rejoice in our victories and ponder our not-so-victorious moments. It helps keep my mind clear and focused and hopefully it's doing the same for everyone.

Let's keep doing this the slow tortoise way. It seems to be the right approach for so many reasons! I too did some quick ones like Medifast back in the Oprah 80's...blecch! What better way to make an obsessive person obsess over food than to ask them to drink bad tasting shakes and CRAVE crunchy fatty goodness. OH I CAN"T BELIEVE I ACTUALLY DID THAT! I lost weight so fast....and gained it back even faster! I had moments when I thought I'd faint from low blood sugar. OMG!!!!

You know, the one time in my life when I lost weight and didn't gain it back for more than a year was when I did some strength training and had a personal trainer. I only did it for about 3 months, maybe even a little less, but I dropped about 50 pounds and it did not come back for over a year. I was lifting weights and walking. Eating good during the workout time frame. Then I let life take over and stopped it all. The nice thing was I kept the weight off for a while. My theory is that maybe the muscle I put on was helping my body maintain a decent weight. ???

All the more reason for me to keep up with the strength training! I just joined 24 Hour Fitness on Monday with my Costco membership...it's a pretty good deal if anyone's a member of Costco. i also bought 3 personal training sessions as I'd like someone to critique my form to make sure I'm lifting correctly. I remember quite a bit about form from my trainer back in the 90's....but I'll bet a tweak here and there will help. Maybe even a swat on the bottom to keep going too! Lol!
  • missyyclaire
    This past week was great for me, I'm down another 3.4lbs and I'm excited. This challenge has helped me to stay focused, everyday is not great but I don't beat myself up I just jump back in to what I know I need to do.

I AM DELIGHTED FOR YOUR SUCCESS!!!!!!! That's wonderful news! Keep up the great work, I'm proud of you!
  • missyyclaire
    Hello! 5 lbs away from Onederland! Anyone have any tips to get a biggest loser weight loss without having to workout 8 hrs a day? I've stepped it up in the workout dept. and still only lost a pound this week. I was hoping for at least 3.

That being said I'm also frustrated that I'm eating so healthy and going over my calorie goals. It's like I have to workout like a mad woman to stay in my range even though I'm not "cheating" So frustrating!

Angel

PS congrats to all the losers this week and don't give up to the rest of you. Lets Rock this new week!

How's your measurements coming? With the work you're doing, I wouldn't be surprised if your measurements were coming down.

Be kind to yourself. I know you're awfully close to a big goal and it's easy to get focused on that number. You'll get there. There's no rush. What's important is that you're eating nutrient rich foods and moving your body. If you do it super fast, it's soooo easy to regain it super fast.

Just glancing at 3 days of your diary, you might try this easy thing... Try the unsweetened Almond milk. It'll lower a little of your sugar intake for the day. You might find with lowering your sugar intake that the scale might budge downward. Maybe think of it in terms of nutrition...sugar itself isn't nutritious. Though something like fresh berries have a little sugar, but a lot of nutrition. I like making my high protein pancakes for breakfast and having fresh strawberries on the side. With them, I'm getting dairy, fiber and protein. Add in the berries for lots of antioxidants and delicious taste. Hey, I'm gonna have some this morning! So easy too!

1 egg
    1/2 C Raw Oats
    1/2 C Cottage Cheese
    1/4 t Baking Soda

Blend together and grill til bubbling, flip and enjoy! (I confess to using a little butter...and it's soooo good!)

enjoy life, enjoy your food, enjoy your exercise...and I'll do the same!
  • kludgood
    kludgood Posts: 147 Member
    Weekly check in..im 4 lbs away from being at my november goal of 265! Gosh i cant wait to lose that because sadly enough that was the weight i weighed in october 2010.. And yes i gained 21 lbs in a year im so embarrassed by that but at the same time im so proud of how much ive changed!!

Ps all you girls are encouraging keep up the hard work ladies
  • missyyclaire
    Weekly check in..im 4 lbs away from being at my november goal of 265! Gosh i cant wait to lose that because sadly enough that was the weight i weighed in october 2010.. And yes i gained 21 lbs in a year im so embarrassed by that but at the same time im so proud of how much ive changed!!

Ps all you girls are encouraging keep up the hard work ladies

Gosh, don't we all have a similar story? Markers of how we view ourselves by how much we weigh. I know I do. I've got the big one, my highest of 272. The high I was before finding MFP of 253. The high of 252 when I did Medifast in the 80's. That same number of 252 when I joined Bally's in the 90's and got a trainer. It's like my numbers of shame! Just saying all this so you'll see how similar we are...and I'll bet many of our girls here have much the same story.

Truth is, I was just looking at our spreadsheet and I was proud of your loss...which is your gain!
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Hello! 5 lbs away from Onederland! Anyone have any tips to get a biggest loser weight loss without having to workout 8 hrs a day? I've stepped it up in the workout dept. and still only lost a pound this week. I was hoping for at least 3.

Angel

We are getting there together...I am less than 2 lbs away :)
  • missyyclaire

Angel

We are getting there together...I am less than 2 lbs away :)

Woo-hoo! You are so close! That's wonderful news!
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,894 Member
    Funny talking about our history. I was sharing with a friend yesterday about my loss and saying that I am almost at the weight I was after my daughter was born (that was 24 years ago). Then we talked about goals etc. I was happy about my loss, but was reminiscing about my lower weights. I do not want to be the weight I am now, but why can't we accept who we are and just be grateful we are moving in the right direction. The other conversation was about how everything social revolves around food and drink. Again, our society equates so much with food and we have to learn how to deal with that and still be healthy. Something to ponder, but not obsess over.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member

Angel

Don't let frustration about going over in calories mess up your head!!! When you were heavier, did you eat this well? Your body has to work a little harder to digest such healthy food. But it digests them so efficiently! Your organs and glands and muscles and bones are so happy for the wonderful healthy food.
  • missyyclaire
    I was just prowling around our spreadsheet and am sooooo impressed! There is so much good work going on there. So proud and happy to see how much energy is being put into your exercise. So much progress!

I'll be setting up a group for December, maybe tonight. I'd love to see all of y'all come on over for the month. These little brief month long goals really keep me going. Though I'm not going to be the biggest loser for Autumn Leaves, it's because of y'all that I keep going. So many many times in my past I've started diets only to be off them within less than a week. I'd lost all ability to trust myself! But being here, doing some challenges, reading and reading and reading has kept me going since late August. I'm sticking with this! Please join our December group, cuz you all are my inspiration and hero's!

Did my 3rd 5K today. Best time yet, 50:30. All walking. Most everyone there was running. I was one of the last 5 to cross the finish line, but you know what? I finished! It was high 70's and so humid. I was dripping with sweat. A few moments of "wow, I'm so slow, look at all those sleek runners already done...wah, wah, wah" went through my head. BUT, then I thought "I'm carrying 70 or more extra pounds and I FINISHED!" It made me wonder if all the runners had on 70-75lb weighted vests, if they could finish or not...and then I felt better. No, great about what I'm doing at this point in my life. Improving little by little ! TURTLE!!!

I'll let you all know about the December group once I get it up. Let's kick it in December too!
  • Thank you so much for the encouragement! You all are the best! Looking forward to the next challenge!

Angel
  • missyyclaire
    Okay girlinias,

The new December challenge is called "Peppermint Place". It's listed in the 'Group' sections. Everyone is welcome. This will start on Dec 1st (the day after Autumn Leaves wraps up). I'm thinking it's going to be good to put a little emphasis on the tape measure. Sometimes the scale won't move, but the inches will shrink. Let's push for a smaller waist and more.

We'll have weekly weigh-ins, weekly measurements, miles just like this one at 15/week and strength training 3 times a week 15 minutes or more like this one too. I think the strength training is key and it's helped me lose 1 1/2 inches off my hips so far this month!

Hopefully this challenge will help us stay motivated through the Holidays, which is the hardest time of year not to stray. With each other cheering us on, we'll succeed! We're doing it in November, and I know we can survive December with success!

Here's the link for the Spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al2TW0PcYs1tdGRob3BsSkRkcy1zX25KY2s4dFJTckE&hl=en_US#gid=0

Let me know if you have any trouble finding the group. Also, feel free to start any topics you'd like.

(We've already got 9 members signed up! Woohoo!!!)
  • LilysMom28
    LilysMom28 Posts: 236 Member
    I'm all signed up!! Thanks so much for taking the time to do all of this for us!!! We are all doing so great this month...I can't wait to see the goals we can reach together next month!!
  • carhicks
    Happy Monday everyone. :love:

Okay, signed up on the new spreadsheet for December. There are 17 people signed up already. Went to the group, but did not comment yet. This looks like a good challenge for me, thanks again for organizing MissyClaire.

Overall, I had a good week except for the couple of days that the salt and sugar were calling me. I will see what the scale says tomorrow. I hope to lose 12 pounds for the month and if all goes well, I will be at 9 when I weigh in tomorrow. I know that the miles and strength training have done wonders for me this month. I took my measurements on November 1, so look forward to seeing what they are on the 30th.

I am a firm believer in drinking water and have gotten between 10 to 14 cups every day this month. I think that this has also helped this month as well. If I drink water I do not drink pop or eat as much. Have a great week everyone.
  • bubblesburst80
    bubblesburst80 Posts: 1,130 Member
    I've signed for december too
    I have loved this month and have upped the weights I use!
  • carhicks
    Well, did not lose that extra pound from the weekend of salt and sugar, but hopefully in the next day or so. I still need to take off 4 to reach my goal of 235 by the end of the month, but I am still happy that I have already lost 8. I am well on my way to my other goal of 200 miles and should have no problem reaching it by the end of the month. I am going to try to increase my weight on my strength training by the end of the week as well. Lots of goals for this week. Hope I can get there. :smooched:
  • missyyclaire
    Saying a late night hi on our toughest week this month. Now that the big Turkey day is almost here, how are y'all coping? Have you traveled? Are you super busy? Having guests over? Have to work? Whatever it is that may be tempting you, know that we're here. I'm here. I'm no super hero, but I do look to every one of our members for support and encouragement. I can't tell you enough how at the end of the day, when I'm tired, how logging foods and reading how you're doing just lifts me up. So much. I think if this were just a sterile place to come calculate calories and log exercise that I would have bolted long ago. I find this human connection so very vital to sticking with 'it'.

I want to encourage you all to take a little time for yourself tomorrow. Take a quick walk while the food's cooking. Nothing grand, just a nice little walk to remind you that you're on a path to something better. I'll be doing the same. In fact, my sister and I are going to to a 5K Turkey Trot in the AM. Her first! I'm so excited! We'll be wearing our matching race shirts and pink visors!

I'm thinking of you all!
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    I don't know about you guys but all my willpower went out the winder on Thanksgiving Day. Well on a good note I got right back into the swing of things today (Yay me) which is great because I usually have a hard time getting back on track. I have been getting in alot of cardio and in spite of yesterdays binge I feel great. Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday, now lets get back to this weight loss journey.