Fit For Future Families - November 2011

Options

Replies

• helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Jen Frank - Jalara tends to create the new threads, but I know she's super busy with school and her stuff. I'll look into it, from what I've heard, it's probably a good move for us (I know some of our preggo boards are moving that way too possibly), so it makes sense. I'll report back on what I find later today and we can make a decision

Smores - *hugs* I see something, but I don't know what that is....I hope for your sake, it's a pink line and that it stays this time. Hang around all you need, I know you've had a rough couple of months!! My fc for you!!!

Helen - they say that every woman of childbearing age should be taking them (because it takes time for you to start absorbing the nutrients and adjusting any deficiencies). Glad to hear you've started on them now and aren't waiting until after you get your BFP.

I just had to look up what a BFP was at the start of the thread. lol Yep started now.x
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi all, sorry I've been a bit quiet over the last couple of days. Trying to catch up on work stuff after being off sick!

I don't think I'll be able to catch up with everyone's posts so apologies for anything I've missed.

Welcome to all the new people - Helen I'm UK as well, I think most others on here are USA and Canada. Whereabouts are you? That's a lot of sheep, he must be kept very busy! I have a lovely image of them all taking their morning vitamins now :smile:

Sorry about your news GBOH, take your time to adjust to it and look after yourself. Big hugs!

Smores, I think I see the pink. Fingers crossed for you and hang around here as long as you need or want to!

Hi Im in North West England x
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Pam, thanks for the reply. I didn't realize they had put in the new function until I clicked on some random link haha No worries if no one wants to do switch, I just was curious. :)

Smores, I see what you're talking about... its so faint though!! I'd wait a day or two and test again. Good Luck!!

Helen, that's a TON of sheep! Very busy guy, he must be!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    cd 15 for me! i ovulate quite late more like cd18-21 but we'll see. no harm in trying frm now ;)

will catch up with everyone soon. been quite busy with work and time online is limited!

for the uk ladies, im in the uk as well
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Where you live: Orlando, FL
    Job: Research Assistant
    Length of time on the board: signed up a year ago, fell off wagon and just back in September 2011 (6 lbs loss since then)
    Marital Status: married 4 years
    Length of time you've been with SO: 8 years
    Do you have kids: no
    Length of time TTC: 2 years
    Diagnosis:
    Do you chart your BBT: no
    Do you use OPKs: did for a while
    Are you on any meds for TTC: no, was on a med similiar to Clomid for a while
    Height: 5'
    Weight: 123lbs
    Goal Weight: 110lbs
    Strange fact about yourself:

We have been trying to conceive for two years, had all the tests and supposedly we are both fine...not sure what the problem is but getting VERY frustrated and my husband just took a job traveling five days a week so we could relocate to Orlando...which kind of makes it hard for him to be home every month when I'm ovualting! Oh, and my period is super regular, exactly every 25 days every month...and today is day 25...still waiting!
  • majaila
    Options
    Well, IUI #3 was negative, so today we went in to talk to the doctor about the next step and it was horribly depressing. He said we could either do three more IUIs, but with injectable Gonal-F instead of Clomid, bringing our chances from about 15% to about 18%, or we could move on to IVF, which takes our chances to about 50-60% but isn't covered on our insurance. He encouraged us to consider the IVF, as he says their statistics have shown lately that people who go from Clomid/IUI straight to IVF are getting better, faster results. Then he looked at my chart and said 'oh, wait, we can't do IVF on you, you weigh too much.' Apparently they won't do IVF if the BMI is over 40, which mine is although not by a lot - except I haven't been able to lose any more weight in MONTHS and I already lost quite a bit before I hit that plateau. It was incredibly frustrating to hear, especially after he had been trying to convince us how much better it was to do it than the injectables!

On the way home, my husband suggested that we take the next two months off from fertility treatments so that "we" don't have to stress out over the holidays. Except what he really means is him - because I'm going to be stressed already trying to lose more weight so we can have IVF, so fertility stuff will be constantly on my mind! Ugh. I know he doesn't actually think of it that way and he's trying to be helpful for both of us but some part of me is going 'what are YOU stressing about?' I do know it's hard for him too, though.

So now I'm torn about what to do. Do I start a cycle of injectables? The way my cycles are going, it looks like that will put our IUI either ON Thanksgiving or right around it, when my mother is visiting (ugh). And hubby's right, that's going to be crazy stressful - and the same thing will happen with Christmas and Hanukkah the following month. Do I take the two months off and start injectables in January? Do I take the two months off and get really aggressive with weight loss and hope I can lose enough to start IVF in January?

Mostly I just want to huddle under the covers and eat cookies. :/
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Well, IUI #3 was negative, so today we went in to talk to the doctor about the next step and it was horribly depressing. He said we could either do three more IUIs, but with injectable Gonal-F instead of Clomid, bringing our chances from about 15% to about 18%, or we could move on to IVF, which takes our chances to about 50-60% but isn't covered on our insurance. He encouraged us to consider the IVF, as he says their statistics have shown lately that people who go from Clomid/IUI straight to IVF are getting better, faster results. Then he looked at my chart and said 'oh, wait, we can't do IVF on you, you weigh too much.' Apparently they won't do IVF if the BMI is over 40, which mine is although not by a lot - except I haven't been able to lose any more weight in MONTHS and I already lost quite a bit before I hit that plateau. It was incredibly frustrating to hear, especially after he had been trying to convince us how much better it was to do it than the injectables!

On the way home, my husband suggested that we take the next two months off from fertility treatments so that "we" don't have to stress out over the holidays. Except what he really means is him - because I'm going to be stressed already trying to lose more weight so we can have IVF, so fertility stuff will be constantly on my mind! Ugh. I know he doesn't actually think of it that way and he's trying to be helpful for both of us but some part of me is going 'what are YOU stressing about?' I do know it's hard for him too, though.

So now I'm torn about what to do. Do I start a cycle of injectables? The way my cycles are going, it looks like that will put our IUI either ON Thanksgiving or right around it, when my mother is visiting (ugh). And hubby's right, that's going to be crazy stressful - and the same thing will happen with Christmas and Hanukkah the following month. Do I take the two months off and start injectables in January? Do I take the two months off and get really aggressive with weight loss and hope I can lose enough to start IVF in January?

*hugs* I get where you're at...I'm in a similar place of do I put life on hold again until after the holidays. Why are these decisions so hard?? What is your doctor's advice? I know mine wants me to wait until after the holidays and after the updates from the doctor to go any further (for us IUI isn't an option - we've always known its straight to IVF with ICSI for us)....it's a really tough call....
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

How many pounds do you need to lose? Could you reach it reasonably by January? If IVF is a far better option, I'd go for it as soon as possible. Good luck with whatever you decide :flowerforyou:
  • majaila
    Options
    We didn't actually think about taking the holiday break until after we'd left the doctor, but he generally says it's up to us. I think his suggestion would probably be to try to aggressively lose the weight if we are going to take the break, and see if I can be under the limit for IVF by January. I guess we're going to have to look at money, too - this puts a little more urgency into our plan to refinance the house - we're going to need that extra money for payments on the IVF fee.

The extra little kicker we found out is that the IVF medication is billed separately from the rest of the fee - so you can finance the main fee if your insurance doesn't cover it, but if your insurance doesn't cover the IVF it's not going to cover the medication, and you have to pay for that separately, and just the medication can be in the thousands. Yikes. I have to admit that money aside, IVF is a little scary for me - I was really hoping the IUIs would work and we wouldn't have to get into this territory.
  • majaila
    Options
    How many pounds do you need to lose? Could you reach it reasonably by January? If IVF is a far better option, I'd go for it as soon as possible. Good luck with whatever you decide :flowerforyou:

I think I'd need to lose another twenty pounds or so. I could probably do it by January if I'm really strict with myself and generally miserable all the time, but I'm not sure I have the self control to manage that over the holidays - especially since I'm the one doing a LOT of the family organization these days. I might need those carbs to survive! LOL!

I'm going to sleep on it, but right now my tentative plan is to agree to take the two months off from treatment and enjoy the holidays while trying to lose as much weight as I can without being unhappy. Then re-evaluate January 1 - see if I've lost enough for IVF, and if not do at least one cycle of the injectables.

But ugh! This is all so not what I wanted to hear today! Sigh.
  • meggamix
    meggamix Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Holy cow there is so much to catch up on I just don't have the time. I see we have a whole bunch more new people! Nice! I do need to hurry and say congrats and condolences to some of you.

I've been absent for gee, almost a week now. My grandpa has been (and still is) in the ICU. The doctors didn't think he'd make it last week so we were all preparing for that. But he's pulling through and slowly getting stronger. The quick version is that they don't know everything that's wrong with him, but he does have acute kidney failure which caused him to be septic and he has pnemonia in one lung and has been on 12 hours of dialysis the last 2 nights. Still waiting on results to figure out what else is going on. The main symptoms were actually muscle related. I've spent the last week either at work or at the hospital and that is exhausting!

AF sort of started on her own on CD 35. Which is good I guess, but I was supposed to start provera if she hadn't come, but I haven't really had a real flow--some in the morning and in the evening, but I don't know if that counts. AHH! I hate that! Either come or not. I hate having to call the Dr's office like a dork asking whether or not this counts as day 1. -I'm just paranoid about missing day 3 for the ultrasound and starting clomid.

Hope everyone is getting ready to have a good weekend!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! This thread is transitioning to a group ( a new MFP feature). The group is private. If you would like an invite please let me know by a private message or quoting this on here. The monthly thread will discontinue.

So since the group is private I'm not sure if people will be able to find it. I'm also not sure if the members have invitation rights. If not, just let fitterpam or I know when someone needs an invite and we'll send it :)

See you there!
  • Smores18
    Smores18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! This thread is transitioning to a group ( a new MFP feature). The group is private. If you would like an invite please let me know by a private message or quoting this on here. The monthly thread will discontinue.

So since the group is private I'm not sure if people will be able to find it. I'm also not sure if the members have invitation rights. If not, just let fitterpam or I know when someone needs an invite and we'll send it :)

See you there!

Add me to the group please!
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Smores- praying that you have a sticky bean and our eyes aren’t playing tricks on us.

Majaila- that is a hard choice. No real advise but I think I would wait until January…\

AFM- Ok I’m heading over to the group…just trying to figure it out Where are we posting just general chit chat talk? Under the check in?:o)
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I hope I did that right... I added a general chit chat thread on the group so we can continue chatting it up. I hope to see all you lovely ladies over there.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Why private?
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Where you live: Perth, Australia
    Job: Home Mummy and Wife
    Length of time on the board: ?
    Marital Status: Married
    Length of time you've been with SO: 4.5 years
    Do you have kids: Yes
    Length of time TTC: 5 months
    Diagnosis:
    Do you chart your BBT: No
    Do you use OPKs: Occ
    Are you on any meds for TTC: No
    Height: 170cms
    Weight: 76.6
    Goal Weight: 70.0
    Strange fact about yourself: i eat mint jelly with everything!
  • melissaforster07
    melissaforster07 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

See you there!

I've been quite this month...but please add me to the group as well.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Why private?
    It's private because the nature of our board is very personal and private.For example, some people have family on MFP and don't want them to know they're TTC. Some people find IVF a touchy subject. In a private board people can speak openly without the masses reading it.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    @smores, I have my fingers crossed for you.

@ megamix I hope grandpa get better soon!

@mejialla ((hugs)) I know its hard but take some time loose some weight and then you can start IVF. Try your best to use this to get focus and have a purpose to loose weight. I'll say a prayer for you!

@MsMuniz My husband traveled (was gone from Monday to Thursday) for 8 months last year. I know its very frustrating! Keep in mind they can freeze his sample and do a IUI on you when you ovaluate.