C25K Training

Options

Replies

• gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just started week 4. when I turned the program on on my phone yesterday I almost died, it wanted me to run 5 min TWO times! I survived, and was proud of myself. Normally I do not go to the gym on Sundays but I am heading there to see if I can do it again!

great job! I am always amazed at how this program works. I always think oh that is going to be too hard and then I do it!! Good for you:smile:
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    WELL, almost didn't make it through but pushed through . . . this was hard for me - running 1.5 minutes had my lungs on fire. wednesday I will have to remember my rescue inhaler,,stupid me forgot it today . . .

w2d1
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    WELL, almost didn't make it through but pushed through . . . this was hard for me - running 1.5 minutes had my lungs on fire. wednesday I will have to remember my rescue inhaler,,stupid me forgot it today . . .

w2d1

I finished w2 d1 tonight...remind me to stick to my running in the morning after a lite breakfast and not at night following a big dinner. I thought I was going to die!!

I may have to take a few days off though. I am leaving town in the morning for a family illness. I am going to try to stick with this, but it could be very difficult. I hate to lose the progress I have made so far :frown:
  • CanadianMag
    CanadianMag Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The strange thing for me is my lungs can handle it, however my body cannot. I can't seem to get past the pain... Not an injuiry pain.. but you know what I mean. (I hope)
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options

w2d1

I finished w2 d1 tonight...remind me to stick to my running in the morning after a lite breakfast and not at night following a big dinner. I thought I was going to die!!

I may have to take a few days off though. I am leaving town in the morning for a family illness. I am going to try to stick with this, but it could be very difficult. I hate to lose the progress I have made so far :frown:

I most always workout st night because I am up at 500 am to get ready for work and have an hour commute. Any who, I never eat dinner until I get home from the gym. It is totally not good to workout on a full stomach, I know even if I drink too much water while working out I feel like I will puke.
  • katielynn46
    katielynn46 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is sticking to c25k. Im w9d1 and running 45 min to an hour at 5.0 miles an hour or running at 5.5 for 30 min straight! Like i said before at the end of sept i couldnt even run a few minutes without giving up. I never thought i would ever be able to run for an hour straight. Im signing up for my first 5k soon! Keep up the hard work everyone. This program does work. Sometimes i couldnt finish a day but the next day i redid it and could finish. It just takes time effort and hard work!
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    W2D2, done but modified. I actually did it outside today and it definitely is different than running on a treadmill. This was a challenge for me. I will be sticking to week 2 until I can master it, then I will move on.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    W2D2! Today was esir than Monday but holy crapola my chins hurt when I run
  • debee2000
    Options
    Update... since I am forgeting to post this here. Monday I actually got through a full W1D1!! And today I got through it again so I consider that W1D2.

Tomorrow I am getting new shoes, I think the ones I have are more for walking and they are very light with very little support.

Just so you know, I got so worked up about this tht I was tossing and turning since 4am worrying about not being able to fully complete it this morning. I did finally get up at 5:30 but I sure feel stupid losing that sleep.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    W2D2! Today was esir than Monday but holy crapola my chins hurt when I run
    Is that really "chins" or shins? If it's shins, there could be a couple of reasons:

hard surface
    too much, too fast
    wrong shoes

Make sure you are running on asphalt or a running track, not concrete. The sidewalk looks like a good place to run, but it isn't because it has absolutely zero give.

Do not do high impact activities on the days between C25K and be sure you're only doing it every other day. You need to give your shins, ankles, knees and hips a chance to recover from the abuse. That means no Zumba, 30 day Shred, P90X or anything else that has you jumping up and down. Stick to walking, biking or swimming. You may need to take a few days off to let your shins heal enough to be able to tell if they're getting better. If they keep hurting, you actually risk serious injury like a stress fracture which you do not want.

I left shoes for last because it's easier and cheaper (!) to rule out the first two before heading to the shoe store. I spent the first couple of months running in cross trainers and had no problems. It wasn't until I started running more than 4 miles at a time that I needed to get "real" running shoes and that was really because the cross trainers weren't big enough more than a support issue. When you are ready for new shoes, go to a running store where they can measure your gait and foot shape to find you the right kind of shoe for the way you run.
  • cararq
    cararq Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this program, too. I finished W4D3 today! Week four has been a killer for me--it's the first week that the running intervals are more than the walking intervals. Holy smokes--running five minutes straight--TWICE!!! I thought I wasn't going to make it, but I did it--YAY!!! :bigsmile:
    I'm a little worried about what I'm going to do when it starts to snow. Our county takes LOUSY care of our road, so running won't be safe. But I'm getting as many workouts in as I can before winter happens.
    I love this thread--keep up the good work everyone! :happy:
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    W2D3 did not go well - my shins hurt terribly when I run @ 4.5 so I am going to start over with w1d1 on monday
  • debee2000
    Options
    Not sure where everyone went. Are we continuing this thread somewhere else?

Did W1D3 today, completely! Even after a bad day yesterday. Time to look forward and not at what my bad day did to the scales.

I need to go download W2D1 music... kind of nice to know there will be new music each week too!

So where is everyone else?
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I just joined MFP today and I'm starting C25k Week 2, Day 1 tomorrow! I've been dabbling at running since June and have run 1 5k so far. I want to get to the point where I can run the WHOLE thing! I have 50 lbs to lose so I am a classic penguin(slow) runner!

Is there a group here for the C25k plan?

Good luck to everyone!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    W2D3 did not go well - my shins hurt terribly when I run @ 4.5 so I am going to start over with w1d1 on monday
    I'm worried about you and your shins. Your shins should not be hurting and I don't want you to do permanent damage to them. Did you already address the issues I pointed out a few posts up?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Hey folks. A C25K group has been set-up, and is open to everyone. No invitation needed to join. Discussions include tips, experiences, encouragement, graduation announcements, progress tracking and app/podcast reviews.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started C25K this morning. Can't wait to see results.
    Any suggestions for a newbie?
  • meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey guys i created a group if anyone wants to join, i'm on week 2!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/712-couch-to-5kms
  • meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Did it help you to lose the weight?
  • debee2000
    Options
    I am not sure if c25k is going to work. I may have to go at a slower pace. I just don't feel right and may be pushing too hard but I also don't want to give up again!

I got through W2D1 today but almost gave up because I started to feel ill.

Maybe a few changes?

How many of you do this right when you get up before you eat anything, ect? I may have to do this after work instead, then at least I have 2 meals in me.

Suggestions?