Couples who dont fight.

Options
auntdeedee87
auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
I was recently having a conversation with a friend about a small fight my boyfriend and I had over the weekend. It was silly but necessary, we heard each other out, apologized and moved on.

She was alarmed-- "You've only been together a few months! You guys fight?!"

Yep. We do. Infrequently, and usually they're pretty short-lived but we definitely have arguments.

She proceeded to tell me "Well, me and Hubby never fight. I don't know what I'd do if we had arguments like that."

Really? Never? Are there couples that dont fight at least on occasion? To me that sounds like a red flag. Maybe because my previous relationship was spent, on my part, by walking on eggshells so we Nevermind fought either.

My relationship is the healthiest and happiest I've ever had-- I think arguing is good for us every now and then. Couples who never fight worry me.

I'm interested to know what you guys think.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Hardly ever. People who get up in my business and tell me how my relationship should work, that bugs the crap out of me.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Hardly ever. People who get up in my business and tell me how my relationship should work, that bugs the crap out of me.

When I told her we fought on occasion you would have thought I'd confessed to being behind 9/11. I think she secretly wanted to sneak me into a battered women's shelter.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My ex husband and I never fought, but it was because we didn't communicate....

We are now divorced.

My current boyfriend and I have had some pretty intense fights/arguments, and we worked through them. We have a much stronger relationship because of it.

People who don't fight are ignoring issues and not dealing with them.
  • taglientep
    taglientep Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i think if people dont argue or disagree to an extent dont challenge each other.....to not argue to me would be unhealthy
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I don't argue or fight.
    Not saying we don't get irritated with one another, but we don't fight.
  • taglientep
    taglientep Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Besides...MAKE UP SEX duh..... i like some fights just because of it
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    We don't fight often. Usually it's about his parents.
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine, all depends on how often and how much of a fight it actually is. My husband and I bicker often, I sometimes think that's just who we are, we're happily in love and are each others world, we just bicker. We end up making each other laugh because of it. lol I think we have a stronger bond because we really communicate, all the time, good or bad.
  • ishapeme
    ishapeme Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think couple's who don’t argue do care enough to argue. It’s just not worth it to them. OR one of them is compromising their feelings/thoghts for the sake of the other and that can’t be healthy.
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    well we used to fight a lot and they were nasty fights. we started going to counseling, learned effective ways to communicate and respect one another. here we are, almost 8 years married now and we do fight but it is very rare. we also make sure to NEVER fight in front of the kids. if we start arguing, we push pause and continue later when the kids are in bed. i do think fighting is natural since you are two different people with different opinions, etc. if you didn't fight...well, i don't know...i think it would be fake or something. i had some friends that always told people they never fought...however, they would have petty arguments.....that's fighting...lol
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think HOW you fight is what is really significant. There's a good way to do it and a bad way to do it, and it's not hard to see the difference. If you're saying humiliating or cruel things or if you start getting physically violent, then I'd say your relationship is in some trouble. If you're just butting heads because you're human and you live in the same house... I don't know anybody who doesn't do that sometimes.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they disagree, but don't necessarily fight. Know what I mean? I have a friend who has the most excellent communication with her husband, and they disagree, but they don't bicker or fight. Maybe your friend is more like that than a Stepford Wife.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Besides...MAKE UP SEX duh..... i like some fights just because of it
    LOL exactly!!!

Hubby and I do our fair share of "fighting," if you even call it that. We have the occasional disagreement but neither of us are ever sleeping on the couch.
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My bf and I hardly ever fight BECAUSE we communicate so well. I remember a guy that I worked told me it wasn't healthy...a week after his wife left him :tongue: I didn't really take his comments into consideration lol. Although, I do think in a lot of cases not fight can be a bad thing..
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It is natural for couples to argue or disagree. You are two individuals and just because you love each other it doesn't mean you have the exact same views on everything. Every couple is also very different so don't let your friend try to tell you what your relationship should look like. I have been married 16 years and sometimes we argue a lot and sometimes we don't argue at all. There are ups and downs to everything.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My relationship is the healthiest and happiest I've ever had-- I think arguing is good for us every now and then. Couples who never fight worry me.

I'm interested to know what you guys think.

I think you've got a great relationship - and you do too, you said it above :smile:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Me & the hubby fought like crazy for the first year we were together.Now we never fight.
    The biggest agument weve had is whos turn it its to be on top lol
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I of 2 years have not fought... yet. We know it will happen one day. We communicate very well and get things off our chest as soon as possible to prevent hurt feelings and fighting. We recognize and respect when something is taken the wrong way or something not so nice was said but we also joke A LOT. And it takes us a lot to get really upset.

I agree fights are natural and normal as long as they end in a positive resolution for both parties.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i suppose it depends on what you consider a "fight". little arguments or disagreements should happen in every relationship imo.. screaming/yelling type fights..eh. that would depend on how often they happen and what they are about.. if youre fighting about the same thing all the time i think its unhealthy. if its something you work through and move on from then its fine.
    but i think that people who always get along either arent really communicating fully or are extremely lucky to have found someone that agrees with them 100% of the time.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    My ex husband and I never fought, but it was because we didn't communicate....

We are now divorced.

My current boyfriend and I have had some pretty intense fights/arguments, and we worked through them. We have a much stronger relationship because of it.

People who don't fight are ignoring issues and not dealing with them.

This is exactly what I was thinking.. couples who don't fight aren't talking at all. It doesn't have to be a knock out drag out and no, not a physical "fight".. but you are going to disagree. Even if at the end, you only agree to disagree as long as you listen to each others side and respect the others opinion than it is perfectly healthy.