How Do You Feel About The Flu Shot?

Options

Replies

• TinaMLT
    Options
    don't even get me started on vaccinations for babies and children. It gets my blood boiling. :devil:

You've never watched a child gasp for breath while trying to fight off whooping cough have you. You definately don't have a teenaged boy who has come down with mumps and is now sterile either. Because if you did you would be the one DEMANDING that every child be vaccinated against these killers. Measles kills, mumps kills, pertussis (whooping cough) kills. It isn't pretty and it isn't just those with a weak immune system that can catch these diseases.

We are very lucky to live in a era where we no longer lose our children to the "childhood" illnesses. Before the advent of vaccines 1 in 5 kids died of these diseases. In the developing world the stats are still the same because they don't have access to vaccination programs. Their kids still die of measles and rubella and malnutrition has only a small part in that.

I know I will never change your mind about vaccinating kids, but I work in a very advanced care pediatric hospital and we lose a few "normal" kids every year to whooping cough. Kids who by all means would have had a productive and happy life, if only their parents had had them vaccinated against it. I would love to have you ask them how the now feel about vaccines. It's amazing how much your attitude changes once you see these terrible illnesses first hand.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    don't even get me started on vaccinations for babies and children. It gets my blood boiling. :devil:

You've never watched a child gasp for breath while trying to fight off whooping cough have you. You definately don't have a teenaged boy who has come down with mumps and is now sterile either. Because if you did you would be the one DEMANDING that every child be vaccinated against these killers. Measles kills, mumps kills, pertussis (whooping cough) kills. It isn't pretty and it isn't just those with a weak immune system that can catch these diseases.

We are very lucky to live in a era where we no longer lose our children to the "childhood" illnesses. Before the advent of vaccines 1 in 5 kids died of these diseases. In the developing world the stats are still the same because they don't have access to vaccination programs. Their kids still die of measles and rubella and malnutrition has only a small part in that.

I know I will never change your mind about vaccinating kids, but I work in a very advanced care pediatric hospital and we lose a few "normal" kids every year to whooping cough. Kids who by all means would have had a productive and happy life, if only their parents had had them vaccinated against it. I would love to have you ask them how the now feel about vaccines. It's amazing how much your attitude changes once you see these terrible illnesses first hand.

i totaly agree, there was a post earlier , with a graphic from the cdc show how so many deadly and crippling (in the case of polio) have been practially eradicate do to childhood vaccinations. I am fortunate enough that i have never had to deal with some of these, the stories i heard from my mother about how hard the family had to work to keep my uncle alive, and not handicapped as a result of contracting polio

(btw this is coming from the mother of an autistic child , which the vaccines had absolutely nothing to do with)
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but this bull. I have worked in healthcare for 10 years and the people in hospital from flu complications have caught the flu outside of the hospital. I have never had a patient that caught the flu in the hospital.

As a nurse, I am not anti vaccine at all but they should not be mandatory. My son has gotten the flu ( yes the real flu) every year for the past 5 years and the year I decided to have him vaccinated, he still got the flu. I think the vaccine is great for people with medical problems or are immunocomprised, where getting the flu could potentially be life threatening. For your average healthy person, the flu is rarely deadly.

I have gotten the flu one year and it was the only year I chose to get vaccinated. I know that the vaccine did not make me sick but to me it was pointless to get it.
  • TinaMLT
    Options
    I am sorry but this bull. I have worked in healthcare for 10 years and the people in hospital from flu complications have caught the flu outside of the hospital. I have never had a patient that caught the flu in the hospital.

As a nurse, I am not anti vaccine at all but they should not be mandatory. My son has gotten the flu ( yes the real flu) every year for the past 5 years and the year I decided to have him vaccinated, he still got the flu. I think the vaccine is great for people with medical problems or are immunocomprised, where getting the flu could potentially be life threatening. For your average healthy person, the flu is rarely deadly.

I have gotten the flu one year and it was the only year I chose to get vaccinated. I know that the vaccine did not make me sick but to me it was pointless to get it.

Then here's a good question for you:

Would you consider getting the flu shot after the WHO and the CDC announce that a highly virulent, very contagious flu is about to go pandemic? If so, what is the difference, every time you catch the flu you run the risk of all the serious complications including pneumonia, multi-organ system failure, and god forbid death.

You should know better than most that the vaccine only carries immunity for 3 kinds of influenza (the 3 most likely kinds that year) but it does not provide you with immunity to every flu virus out there. Your family has got to be the most unlucky family on the planet, to catch influenza so frequently.

And as a side not, we do not vaccinate health care workers so that they don't catch influenza while at work. We vaccinate them so that they don't make their patients sick with the virus. The vaccine prevents you from being a carrier.
  • leken04
    leken04 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well I know everyone is different but I have never had the flu or the shot. I am 34 and I don't get the shot. Some people think I'm looney but I know people who never had it but got the shot and once they did they got the flu every year. Just my opinion
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves and never breathe or sneeze in a patient's face. I wash my hands 4 thousand times a day.
    Why should I be FORCED to get a shot that makes MY BODY less able to fight off a virus on it's own?? I've been fighting off the flu for 30 years.

What is next, anyway? Forced birth control? Forced antibiotics JUST IN CASE I might be carrying staph? Come on, the patient's in my unit eat in a common dining room. If that bug is there, it is wildfire. Not to mention ALL of our patients are required to be screened for flu shots anyway. Make the PATIENTS take the flu shot, not me.
    Why do you think a vaccine makes your body "less able to fight off a virus on its own"?

"Forced antibiotics" would do more harm than good en masse, by contributing to antibiotic resistance. Vaccines do not contribute to viral resistance. I'm not sure what "forced birth control" has anything to do with patient safety, as pregnancy is not contagious...
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Elderly? Small children? You better never let them step foot in a grocery store. Shopping cart handles are covered in e. coli. Handling money? Hate to tell you what's all over that.

To be fair, a lot of the very elderly or the very unwell don't actually spend a lot of time out mingling in public. I think this is exactly why it is a big deal. These patients wouldn't ordinarily be exposed to a lot of the stuff that young professionals would in all the places they go and the things that they do.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Baterical Pnuemonia is caused by mucus gathering in the lungs. Said mucus can be a side effect of a viral infection such as the flu. So yes the flu can cause you to get pnuemonia. As well as a range of other things that may not cause some to develop pnuemonia but can cause others to. Allergic reactions to things can cause pnuemonia as well. Her being allergic to things in the shot can cause said allergic reaction and cause her to develop pnuemonia.

Thank you. Both my mother and I got pneumonia last year in exactly this way.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Better safe than sorry for me! I don't see how a 25 dollar, 5 minute inconvenience isn't worth it. I started getting the flu shot 2 years ago, and sure enough those have been the only 2 winters that I did not get the flu. Works for me.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Better safe than sorry for me! I don't see how a 25 dollar, 5 minute inconvenience isn't worth it. I started getting the flu shot 2 years ago, and sure enough those have been the only 2 winters that I did not get the flu. Works for me.
    it isnt worth it for me because ive never gotten the flu anyway.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I've never been hit by a car while on my bike either, but I still wear my helmet.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options

I've never been hit by a car while on my bike either, but I still wear my helmet.
    wearing a helmet is a little different from putting something INTO your body that isnt always necessary
  • alz6690
    Options
    I myself am highly upset that everyone here is being forced to take a flu shot regardless of whether you want it or not. It's either take it or lose your job- I have never taken one and I don't want one! What are your thoughts about the flu shot?

I don't agree with you being forced to have one. But they do help you avoid some flus etc. Generally people are getting more pro them in an attempt to keep the working population in work over the winter months, fewer sick days.

Don't know if you're worried about them but they're pretty safe. The ones given in the UK have very few side effects however, cant be given to those who are allergic to eggs! Random I know but its to do with the proteins in the injection. Anyway, no matter where in the world you are you shouldn't have any major side effects, maybe you'll be a bit sniffly for a day or 2 and possibly you're arm will be a bit sore nothing too bad though.

Hope that helps!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

no one even gets anything deadly ....................................til they do
  • rockerbabyy
    Options

no one even gets anything deadly ....................................til they do
    yep. but thats not going to change my mind. *shrug* not gonna get something i feel isnt necessary (FOR ME). if i end up dying from the flu some day, then thats my fault and my choice. my childrens dr doesnt believe my kids need a flu shot. i trust him. if my kids get the flu this year, maybe next year ill consider going against the drs recommendation. again. MY choice.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

wearing a helmet is a little different from putting something INTO your body that isnt always necessary

How do you feel about TB vaccinations? Or Polio? Or Hepatitis, or whooping cough or smallpox?
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My body responds poorly to flu shots-- it's worse than any flu I've ever had. I have a strong immune system, and I don't spend much time around children or the elderly, so I don't see the point of getting the shot and having to be home with flu-like symptoms for two weeks.