How Do You Feel About The Flu Shot?

Options

Replies

• katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Worst decision I ever made. I wasn't forced... but I was pressured by coworkers. I've never had the flu, I have asthma, and I'm exceptionally needle-phobic (like pass out, stop breathing, foam at the mouth type). The only flu I ever had was swine flu which was just awful (CDC confirmed case.) I opted for the nasal vaccine and, for the first time in my life, had flu like symptoms. It was awful.

Never again! I can't imagine being forced.
  • mamolinet
    Options
    LOL I have Hepatitis C and just got a flu shot. I'm on interferon and Ribavirin for the Hepatitis, and I got a skin reaction to the flu shot, but I didn't feel anything from anything, not the shot, not the medicine. Everyone is making a big deal out of nothing. The medication I'm on should make me feel like I want to die, but it does nothing. I think people freak themselves out over nothing and make themselves sick by believing that they are going to get sick or should be sick from something.

Flu shot--- nothing happened. My arm was a little itchy for a couple days. Now I won't get this year's flu (My boyfriend works for DHS in the airport and gets exposed to A LOT of people) or the swine flu, which I also got a shot for. So take THAT you BIRDS!
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm a health care worker. I never get it and would be upset if I was forced. My daughter is forced and gets sick from it every year. Of course since she is military she usually gets a live vaccine or a special version of what everyone else gets. Sometimes I get sick but not very often and not for very long. I cringe when people say "it's the responsible thing to do." I remember that being said on Good Morning America last year. I know many medical professionals who do not get them. Flu shots do not necessarily protect against the current strain and do not guarantee that you won't get sick. I say it should be everyone's choice.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Mine are indifferent really. I got it this year just because it was free from work but I haven't had it in years... :)
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have heard about it having mercury in it like someone else said. Even doctor Oz accidentally said it on one of his shows.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I have heard about it having mercury in it like someone else said. Even doctor Oz accidentally said it on one of his shows.

Dr Oz is a quack

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa071434

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/112/5/1039.full

As has been stated before, you ingest more mercury from a can of tuna than from a vaccine.
  • asaba1013
    Options
    i will NEVER get the flu shot.
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options

Dr Oz is a quack

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa071434

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/112/5/1039.full

As has been stated before, you ingest more mercury from a can of tuna than from a vaccine.

It's more like vaccines in general are quack science. You have approximately 2.7% chance of getting the flu in the first place. Open your eyes dude.:noway:
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    Mine are indifferent really. I got it this year just because it was free from work but I haven't had it in years... :)

I don't get this reply either. LOL. If they were giving diving lessons of the golden gate bridge for free, would you do that too, just because they are free.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

It's more like vaccines in general are quack science.

LULZ.

That's why polio disappeared. Coincidence? Or sauna suits?
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    Never had it, and unlikely to ever get it. As I don't have any sort of immune issues, I don't see the point.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options

LULZ.

Looks like somebody is still evolving from an ape. Gotta give that some time I guess. Like another 80 trillion years-RS66
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I don't get one because I got really sick 3 years in a row. My hubby and kids get 1 every year.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

LULZ.

Looks like somebody is still evolving from an ape. Gotta give that some time I guess. Like another 80 trillion years-RS66

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolved-primate/201006/when-ignorance-begets-confidence-the-classic-dunning-kruger-effect
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    Well I don't want to get a flushot because they are bad for you, unproven, and being forced onto people in which is violating our freedoms. When people continue to allow that kind of bullying, it becomes status quo. Next thing you know we will have no health freedoms. If you give them an inch they will take a mile. Stop giving them that inch, so we can continue to fight for our freedoms. Who wants bio engineered, body polluting, nonsense injected into their body. It's like the trojan horse of biological warfare. Below is a excerpt from an article on vran.org discussing some of the real statistics and info.

The biological ingredients intentionally included in vaccines are the lab-altered viruses and bacterial toxins or parts of viruses and bacteria which are meant to produce immunity to infectious diseases. Of particular concern are the live-virus vaccines (MMR, chickenpox vaccine, the combined MMR-chickenpox vaccine and the live-virus influenza nasal vaccine). Equally worrisome are ingredients which have been genetically engineered or otherwise manufactured into freakish man-mutilated entities. As for marketing genetically engineered foods, the long-term consequences of injecting humans with GMOs has been poorly considered. But animal and human tissues used in the manufacture of vaccines using the less technologically advanced culturing method are not without problems either. Currently, influenza vaccines and MMRII vaccine are cultured on chicken embryos, fragments of which remain in the vaccines. Chickenpox vaccine and Pediacel® vaccine (containing antigens of diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio and Hib) are cultured on and contaminated with remains of foetal calf tissue.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I get it every year since having a child 6 years ago, and so does my son and my husband. The real flu is absolutely horrible and the thought of not doing something so simple to prevent that is just ridiculous to me.
  • amilynnM
    amilynnM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone who's scared of mercury in vaccines doesn't eat fish! Thimerosal is not present in every vaccine and is used to prevent contamination by bacteria and fungi.

If you've never had the shot and still didn't get the flu, that's anecdotal (and very lucky for you!)
    If someone developed the flu shortly after getting the vaccine, they did not get it from the vaccine (possibly they didn't have the flu but another infection with similar symptoms)

http://www.flu.gov/individualfamily/about/myths.html
    http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/init/kids-enfants/immun/facts-fiction-realite/index-eng.php
    http://www.who.int/immunization_safety/aefi/immunization_misconceptions/en/
    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/med/misconception-eng.php#is
  • amilynnM
    amilynnM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Metal poisoning from mercury, lead, aluminum and who knows what other metals are linked to alzheimers, autism, etc.

No they aren't. Please stop with your conspiracy theories and spreading of misinformation.

Everyone should do their own research from a variety of sources and make a decision that is right for them. It's unfortunate that sensationalist news stories get accepted as fact even after they've been disputed. A story about how something is KILLING US ALL is much more interesting than a story about something that isn't.

eta: I'll give you lead, but the link between mercury and autism and between aluminum and alzheimers have weak evidence at best
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have never gotten it for two reasons: 1) I've heard horror stories from the people I know who HAVE gotten it, and 2) I have bad reactions to so many medications/medical things, that I don't care to add getting the flu shot to it. I also don't get the flu often, *knock on wood*, what I need to get is a pneumonia vaccine and if they have one for strep....because THOSE are what I get every year.
  • Jexebel
    Options
    I have never gotten it for two reasons: 1) I've heard horror stories from the people I know who HAVE gotten it, and 2) I have bad reactions to so many medications/medical things, that I don't care to add getting the flu shot to it. I also don't get the flu often, *knock on wood*, what I need to get is a pneumonia vaccine and if they have one for strep....because THOSE are what I get every year.

....you know pneumonia is a condition caused by different things including many viruses one of which is the influenza virus?