Options

Replies

• xhellokittycatx
    Options
    I never got one. I hate needles!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the flu shot twice in the last 15 years, and both times, I got the flu that year. Seriously. I've never taken it again. I've been told that its new and improved, but I'm not risking it.

On that same note, the year that my daughters got the flu mist drops in their nose, they BOTH caught the flu that season. (at different times.) The only time either one of them has ever gotten it.
  • i_belong_to_neil
    Options
    I have never gotten a flu shot. And I have never had the flu. Now that I have posted this though, I will get it tomorrow. I may never get one unless it gets really bad.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Both times I got the vaccine I got miserably sick afterwards...probably just a coincidence though. I will take it again next year though. I wasn't sick for a week like the years I didn't get it...just a few days of nastiness.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I know how u feel like ur being force, and push to a corner, and I hate that feeling... but ther flu shot is not bad, I too work in a hospital and I usually get it,but to force people!! I'm not with it. I know my first time getting it I was very sick,and every yr it got better.
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    People keep saying that they never have and they never will, but this affliction is slowly being forced systematically on groups of people slowly becoming a socially norm.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I mandate it for all employees.

We have heard all the arguments, and it hogwash. Take the shot or go home.
    I am tired of one employee spreading flu germs all over the building because he chooses vitamins over objective science.

Sorry, but we have lost too many hours over sicknesses and unproductive, sick workers, so no, take the shot or you're fired.
    Since mandating this standard 6 years ago, our flu season has improved 75%, so reality validated this decision.

That's just the way it is.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital, so it wouldn't be fair for me to give the flu to the patients, my 20 month old child has a smaller left lung due to CDH and my three year old and husband have severe asthma. If you do get the flu after getting the shot, it usually makes it less severe than if you didn't have the shot. So, I mainly get it to protect those around me, especially when I end up coming to work while still sick due to shortness of staff.
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I used to work in the medical field and our doctor always paid for us to get one since we were always around sick people, it was mandatory as well. After I left that job, I always got one on my own. Now I have a medical condition that makes me more susceptible to getting sick, so I really "have" to get it. I've never had any issues and I haven't gotten the flu since getting them. So my opinion is everyone should get one.
  • IsleOfThanet
    Options
    I've gotten a flu shot every year since the mid-80s.

I'm all for modern medicine and vaccinations.

We have flu shots available in the health room where I work ... no one is forced to take one.

Where are these people being forced to take flu shots or loose there jobs?
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I personally think they are worthless. . I don't take one and I havent had the flu since childhood. . My mom got hers this year faithfully and has been in bed this week for four days straight with the flu and has it terribly!!! So flu shots. . blah. .

As far as your job. . I don't think any job should be able to make you take one if you don't want one. .you should be able to sign a waiver. Just my thoughts.
  • chele76
    chele76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It is a medical FACT that one cannot get the flu from the flu shot. You may have already had it in your system, or have some other virus that resembles the flu.

It is irresponsible to not get the flu shot. You may be strong enough to fight it off or recover well, but children, elderly and the immunologically compromised do not.

Get the flu shot every year, its the right thing to do.
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer not to get them because I believe I could fight it off just fine at this point in my life, making myself stronger while not making the virus more resilient with the shot. However, if I were older or had a weak immune system then sure, I'd get the shot. I do believe it's a personal choice and that your work is violating ethics by forcing you to get one. It's not a law to get the shot, therefore they cannot force you to get one. But l jest...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I get one every year. My work offers them for free. I rarely get the flu. Maybe twice in the last 10 years.
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer not to get them because I believe I could fight it off just fine at this point in my life, making myself stronger while not making the virus more resilient with the shot. However, if I were older or had a weak immune system then sure, I'd get the shot. I do believe it's a personal choice and that your work is violating ethics by forcing you to get one. It's not a law to get the shot, therefore they cannot force you to get one. But l jest...

Sorry, maybe it's digress, not jest LOL.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and have never had the flu shot. My elderly mom gets one every year and seems to get the flu almost every year. Go figure. My son's pediatrician told me years ago (he's 24 now) that she got violently ill after having one and won't do it again. I guess you hear pro and con stories about it, either way. I certainly wouldn't want to be FORCED to have one, though. To me, that's crossing a line...
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about getting sick......

I am normally required to get the flu shot/mist because I am in the military. I normally do get sick, but this time I made a tincture that I drank before and after that was overloaded with vitamin c.

You take:

one orange
    couple slices of ginger
    half a lemon

cut them all up (DO NOT REMOVE PEEL) and boil in quite a bit of water. You may have to tweak it to fit your tastes a bit. Drink while hot. Once the pot has no more water, add more and continue to boil to get all the crazy nutrients out of the peels.

This work wonders for me. I drank 20oz the morning of the shot/mist, then 20 afterwards and I didn't get sick. At all. I felt great. Everyone else got sick around me. I also use it during the week if I just don't feel great. It's a great pick me up.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    I think that if people are afraid or paranoid or worried about catching the flu, then stay home. Don't go to school. Don't send your kids to school. You can home school them. If you want to get the flu shot to keep your job thats your choice, but it contributes to this system of zombie optimism. Being forced to get a flu shot no matter what job you have, whether it's a kindergarten teacher, a nurse, or an in-home health care worker is wrong. It's slowly becoming status quo and a social norm. I don't want my family to have to inherit a society with brain dead ideaology. There is still absolutely no evidence that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that these flu shots even work. Why should the population at large suffer systematically because a very small portion of the public, might get the flu. If your sick, be responsible and stay home. If you feel weak, as to your immune system, get healthier. Eat healthier. Live healthier. But quit trying to force on humanity the results of an irresponsible portion of society, that in which is apathetic at best. They're afflicting 97% of the population to supposedly help 3% of it's population. Your saying it's ok to force people to get a flu shot if they're in the medical profession. Wrong. It's not ok to even peer pressure these people. The reason being is next there will be another profession that should have the shot. Then another profession. Then these people should get the shot. Then those people should get the shot. Then everybody should get the shot. What should be is that people remain free like we were born to be. It's true Ron, that people are contagious before symptoms present themselves. But it's also true that a lot of people that buy into these ideas that vaccinations work as intended, live unhealthy lifestyles to begin with. This entails eating calories that are empty in nutrients, living in a way that lacks exercise, even thinking in ways that are unhealthy. Which all lead to a compromised immune system that complicates even a simple flu strain. Why should choices and decisions be forced on a groups of people that make healthy choices and choose to conduct themselves in a way that promotes a healthy immune system, in which can easily defend against simple flu strains, just because unhealthy people are setting themselves up for failure. Why should I be unrighteously afflicted because your apathetically addicted?

Getting the flu shot is not the right thing to do. If your job wants to fire you because of not taking the flu shot then get fired. It's a pathetic job and business to be in anyway. Being forced isn't right. And it is definitely not a fact that the flu shots even work.
  • amilynnM
    amilynnM Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Or they already had it when they got the shot, but hadn't yet presented symptoms. The incubation period is 2-5 days.

That's true! For whatever reason I didn't think of already being infected, but you're right. Also doesn't the flu shot take a couple of days to take full effect since your bodies are developing antibodies?
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options

Or they already had it when they got the shot, but hadn't yet presented symptoms. The incubation period is 2-5 days.

That's true! For whatever reason I didn't think of already being infected, but you're right. Also doesn't the flu shot take a couple of days to take full effect since your bodies are developing antibodies?

In theory???? It's scientific research not a law of physics.