*sigh*Partner losing weight?They are planning to leave

Options
1234568»

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    that article doesnt say anything specific about the study just some guys theory.

1) did they ask the subjects losing weight the direct "question what are your motives in losing weight?"
    2) did they notice a pattern of broken relationships after weight loss and make this assumption. (could be explained by the stress of the weight loss or other coincidences leading to the break up not the dieters intent).
    3) did they only ask married people of a short length of time are you chubby cause you're happy and secure, but not ask them later when that extra weight became detrimental to their health?...

I'd venture to say that very overweight and unhealthy people are the ones at greater risk to leave the relationship, by death.

I had a fat b/f leave me for another woman he didn't bother to lose weight for her, too selfish, just got contacts and ditched his glasses and he was good to go!
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/presse/news2011/pm20111111_partnerschaft_en.html

I got annoyed with the lack of logic from the article, so found the press release from the university.

The main point of the research seems to have been to disprove synchronicity (mentioned at the end of the OP's article as if it fitted with that very research), and to show that a high level of perceived competition affected how necessary singletons felt it to be slim. The part about weightloss and leaving your partner goes as follows:

These findings are substantiated by the fact that the weight of people in partnerships that have run into trouble is frequently lower than in smooth-running relationships. “It is conceivable that this may also have to do with the fact that there are fewer joint meals or that the problems have psychosomatic repercussions,” Thomas Klein concedes. “But one can also interpret weight loss as a kind of preparation for a return to the partnership market, a concern for physical attractiveness caused by an awareness that it may soon be necessary to go in search of a partner again.”

So, less 'planning to leave' than 'aware the end may be nigh'... But that doesn't make such good headlines...
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read the article. A study can be skewed to prove any point. My relationship is stable and I'm getting fit so that I can spend many more years with my boyfriend, not leave him.

I completely agree!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's true but if you have a secure relationship and there have not been any issues between you and your SO then no, it's not true.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Where do people think this stuff up? Just because one person in a relationship wants to lose weight doesn't mean they are doing so because they want to leave their partner.

I am trying to lose weight... not because I want to leave my husband. I am losing weight so I am in better shape, have more confidence and am healthier to be with my husband. I also want to be in better shape so we can do more things. We want to ski, we want to go on bike rides, go rollerblading, go on hikes when the weather gets better, etc... the healthier I am the better I will able to do all those things.

An article and a study means nothing in my opinion. Any research study, article, etc can be geared towards results in a certain direction. It doesn't prove it as fact.
  • Ahuerta77
    Options
    This is great just what I'm feeling .............