Any "Last Stubborn 20 pounders" out there?

Options

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I've gained....

I'm really at a loss. And frustrated.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've gained....

I'm really at a loss. And frustrated.

Bummer:grumble: , I know. Look at your nutrition and exercise closely- You may need to change up your exercise routine- do you do much resistance training? Or re-evaluate your diet. It IS possible to under-eat and over-train.

Good luck! Don't let this speed bump de-rail you!:flowerforyou:
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    SBS--VERY INTERESTING IDEA!!!! I love the idea of calorie cycling on a long term basis like you did...it makes sense.

12by311---I'd say don't get frustrated, but that is easier said than done. I just went through that for the last month, and it was depressing as all get out. But I let my body level out...and yes, I gained back a couple of pounds, but now I ready to recommit for the next round of this battle to become fit! Taking a break was the best thing I could do for myself. :happy: Now I think I'll try SBS's idea!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    SBS--VERY INTERESTING IDEA!!!! I love the idea of calorie cycling on a long term basis like you did...it makes sense.

12by311---I'd say don't get frustrated, but that is easier said than done. I just went through that for the last month, and it was depressing as all get out. But I let my body level out...and yes, I gained back a couple of pounds, but now I ready to recommit for the next round of this battle to become fit! Taking a break was the best thing I could do for myself. :happy: Now I think I'll try SBS's idea!!!

Oh, I should add that I DID initially gain when I went to maintenance, just under 2 lbs. However, after that I maintained, so don't assume that an inital gain means you're eating over maintenance. A quick increase is just indicative of filling up glycogen and the resulting water gain. You have to wait it out a bit and just monitor your lbs and inches. They shouldn't go up each week, and if they do, just drop back by 100 or so calories until you maintain. At that point you know two things: 1. That you're entering a more fat-loss friendly hormone level. 2. Your TRUE maintenance calories. It makes things much easier from there on out. Now that I'm losing again, I'll probably just stay where I am (1700-1800 cal/day) until I stop losing. Then I'll pop back up to maintenance for a few weeks again. It makes for great workouts! :smile:
  • 12by311
    Options
    I have had some major issues with being completely drained. I am exhausted. I know I need to get more sleep. I guess I should really start focusing on that. But it's like, I lay down and I can't seem to "wind down"....this has kind of been my pattern since my mom passed away in October. I try to just straight up wear myself out every day so I won't have time to think about anything when my head hits the pillow before I'm out.

But my energy level is so low. I keep hoping that this cycle of laying down and not being able to go to sleep with go away and I'll get into a good sleeping pattern again.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I have had some major issues with being completely drained. I am exhausted. I know I need to get more sleep. I guess I should really start focusing on that. But it's like, I lay down and I can't seem to "wind down"....this has kind of been my pattern since my mom passed away in October. I try to just straight up wear myself out every day so I won't have time to think about anything when my head hits the pillow before I'm out.

But my energy level is so low. I keep hoping that this cycle of laying down and not being able to go to sleep with go away and I'll get into a good sleeping pattern again.

I'm so sorry about your mom. :heart: Sometimes it takes so long to heal.

Sleeplessness is actually a sign of overtraining. Serious stress to your nervous system makes it hard to switch from 'fight or flight' (exercise mode) to 'safe' (sleep mode). At that point, extra training won't make you tired enough to sleep, it will just depress your immune system and make it harder to recover. I think you should take a week off of exercising--you can still be active, like walking to the store and cleaning, but nothing you would classify as exercise. Eat maintenance. Then when you start exercising again, keep eating maintenance (like with exercise cals added). I promise that after 3-4 weeks you'll feel much better. :flowerforyou:
  • SoccerMom24
    Options
    Yes, I feel the same way you do. It has taken me 3 years to lose 26lbs. but the good thing is that since I have made so many life changes I know I will never gain it back. I am stuck right now with 9lbs. left to go.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Long-term calorie cycling. A month on maintenance, 2 weeks in a 200 calorie deficit, 4 weeks in a 500 calorie deficit, then back up to maintenance for probably a week or so. It takes days for your body's hormone levels to change, so I really don't see a point in zig-zagging daily. You wouldn't have time to make any new physiological adaptations. I broke through my plateau of being stuck at 130 several weeks ago, and today I am down to 127.8. Less then 3 lbs to go!

SBS, you are an awesome resource!

I like this idea. I think zig-zagging makes sense, but agree that doing it daily is probably not confusing your body. I've been stuck at 132 for over a month, but know that it's most likely because of a few weekends of poor eating choices. Right now, I'm mostly thankful that I at least haven't gained. I'm shooting for 125 as well, and am stepping up my exercise this week, to see if it helps. Thanks for the great info!
  • 12by311
    Options
    Wow songbyrd. That's exactly how I feel...I actually told hubby that I was having a hard time chillin' out in the evenings before bed because I felt "hyped" from exercising from 3:30 to about 5:00 p.m. or so after work.

Thank you for your insight, for real!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Wow songbyrd. That's exactly how I feel...I actually told hubby that I was having a hard time chillin' out in the evenings before bed because I felt "hyped" from exercising from 3:30 to about 5:00 p.m. or so after work.

Thank you for your insight, for real!

Yea, I've been there. I've been so overtrained that it was hard just to stand up and support my own weight, but when my head hit the pillow, I could NOT fall asleep. I'd just toss and turn and feel a general sense of discomfort and being 'antsy'.

jljohnson, I actually started at 144 in August, so we have had the same goal and distance to go lol :smile: I also got stuck at 132, then again at 130, but I generally drop down a good chunk every couple weeks now. I haven't been in the 120's for years and it's very exciting! :happy:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I must be weird...I sleep soooooooooooo good if I work out before I go to bed. :yawn: :heart:
  • sb1712
    sb1712 Posts: 8
    Options
    YES - I work out often but I have been probably between 10-20 lbs overweight for 10 years, and as I get older it's getting harder. I've just started "Making the Cut" Jillian says its specifically designed for me ! Lets hope !! I think the giving up of the alcohol will be the most difficult, not that I drink a lot, but I do enjoy a glass of wine at the weekend. I'm about the same as songbyrdsweet, so I would love to know how you are achieving your goal....
    154936.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • aprilvet
    Options
    Very good food for thought, sbs!!:flowerforyou:
  • aprilvet
    Options
    YES - I work out often but I have been probably between 10-20 lbs overweight for 10 years, and as I get older it's getting harder. I've just started "Making the Cut" Jillian says its specifically designed for me ! Lets hope !! I think the giving up of the alcohol will be the most difficult, not that I drink a lot, but I do enjoy a glass of wine at the weekend. I'm about the same as songbyrdsweet, so I would love to know how you are achieving your goal....
    154936.png

sb1712- you're still a baby!!!LOL:laugh: I'm sure that concentrating on your nutrition and doing a consistent exercise program will help you! I switched from Making the Cut to P90X last month. Although I didn't lose much weight with MTC, it did prepare me for the rigors of P90X!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    154936.png

As you get older--you might not even be done growing! :laugh: :wink:
    When I was your age 4 years ago, I was 154 and over 30% body fat. It has taken a long time to get where I am now and my body doesn't look anything like it did then. It has just taken a lot of trial and error, a ton of hard work, and a lot of patience. I haven't done anything drastically different from what you see here--counting calories and exercising. I just don't give up when I get stuck and I keep track of what does and doesn't work so I can avoid my wheels spinning in the mud. I also don't kid myself into thinking I'm working when I'm not...my workouts are really intense. That stopped me from just looking like a smaller version of my flabby self. :laugh:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    [/quote]
    I also don't kid myself into thinking I'm working when I'm not...my workouts are really intense. That stopped me from just looking like a smaller version of my flabby self. :laugh:
    [/quote]

You know, I was remembering what you said this morning when I was on my spin bike...and it made me crank the dial up a few extra turns!:happy:
  • aprilvet
    Options
    I also don't kid myself into thinking I'm working when I'm not...my workouts are really intense. That stopped me from just looking like a smaller version of my flabby self. :laugh:

So true!!! I think this is really the key. I am finally seeing real changes in my body since starting the intense P90X workouts!!!
  • Mickie17
    Options
    April---You are going to have to post your before and after photos before long!!!! :wink:

OMGosh...I saw a photos of me recently from the Winter Holidays of '07...I was floored at how bad I really looked. It made me realize how far I've come with just losing about 10 pounds. I'm petite, so every pound counts a LOT as far as showing whether it's for better or worse!
  • applepie
    applepie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    me, me, me!! I have about 15 more to go and it's been that way for months. ARGH!!! However, after reading these responses, I feel remotivated and excited to keep trying. :D Thanks for all the tips and advice. :D
  • Mickie17
    Options
    me, me, me!! I have about 15 more to go and it's been that way for months. ARGH!!! However, after reading these responses, I feel remotivated and excited to keep trying. :D Thanks for all the tips and advice. :D

Holy cow WOWWWWW applepie...you look fabulous!!! Keep up the great work!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!