Clean Eating Club ~ February 2009

Options

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Jess, you look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How does almond butter taste like? Where do you find it?

What is the difference between Chalean and P90X?

I am trying to eat as clean as possible but I am not quite there yet...but I love it when my nutrition is at least 85% clean in one day. It just makes me feel soooooooo good!!!! :flowerforyou:

Thanks, girl! Almond butter is soooo good!! I found it in the natural food section of Kroger (I bought the Maranatha brand because it was on sale), but you can find it with the peanut butters at some stores. I got the crunchy kind w/ real bits of almonds. It's similar to PB and really good! :bigsmile:

ChaLean is different than P90X. The workouts are a little shorter (about 35-45 min instead of around 60 min), but intense. More compound movements (upper and lower body at the same time so a bicep curl with a sumo squat, shoulder press with a lunge, etc.). Plus really great interval cardio workouts and abs. I love P90X also, but this has been a great change for me! 85% clean is still awesome and about 50% better than most people! :bigsmile: Let me know if you have more questions about ChaLean, you know my email! :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Had a great day! Im back on track and that feels good! The weekend was a bit rough with V day!Hubby bought me a big box of chocolates. I couldnt resist. I ate more than I should have! So now im back on track! Started Chalean extreme on Monday and I like!

Thanks Jess! Im keeping an open mind with this program! I am definately going to be lifiting heavy with this program!

Steph

Back on track, girl! WTG! Yes, lift heavy! I know with doing P90X that you know what heavy weights are! :bigsmile:
  • Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Jess. im gonna get the job done!!! Im planning on getting back into running once the weather breaks. I am a spring, summer and Fall type of runner!:smile: Thanks for all the information and support!

Steph
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hello Clean Eaters! I just ate an apple, and am off to do my workout! (had to eat something to get through it today!)
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Pre-workout:
    Fuji Apple (80)

Workout:
    ChaLean Extreme: Lean Circuit #2, then 20 min kickboxing

Meal #1:
    1/4 c. Multi grain hot cereal, 1/4 c. old fashioned oatmeal, 1/4 c. Fiber one
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder, 1 T. NM PB
    1/2 c. cottage cheese = (395)
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Welcome! About how many carbs do you eat a day, just curious? I set my MFP guidelines at 50% carb/ 25% protein and 25% fat. That works well for me, I work out a lot (and run) so I need my good carb! :bigsmile:

The carbs I get are from the veggies, fruits and nuts.................I have had to cut out all wheat products because I am gluten and wheat intolerant...............

As I move up the Atkins carb ladder, I will be adding in steel cut oatmeal, brown rice and sweet potatos into my eating plan on occasion...............

I am enjoying eating a fairly organic eating plan right now. It gives me energy and I feel great!!

Breakfast
    3 oz Nitrate free smoked turkey
    2 oz extra sharp white cheddar cheese
    16 oz black coffee

Lunch:
    Fresh cut veggies (1/2 cucumber sliced, handful of baby carrots, 10 radishes)
    3 stalks of celery and 1 cup home made chicken salad
    Water

Snack:
    Tangerine
    Water

Supper:
    Italian Sausage, onion, pepper medley with fresh grated parmesan cheese
    Caesar Salad
    Water

Snack:
    1/2 cup grapes
    1 ounce sharp cheddar cheese
    Water

Exercise:
    Elliptic machine at the gym, 20 minutes
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I use Stevai...............I have like all brands out there. You have to watch how much you use, a little goes a long way and too much will make whatever you are eating or drinking bitter!!

I stopped getting sick when I got rid of the splenda.........................I still buy it for my DH, but I no longer use it.

Lioness, Splenda made me sick too. I avoid anything made with it. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I have never tried Stevia.

I have the coffee dilemma too... I don't like it black, and sometimes I use regular sugar and milk, but my favorite is flavored coffeemate creamers. I sometimes I think I like the creamer more than the coffee! :laugh: But I like the coffee for the caffeine and smell and warmth and habit and the creamer for the flavor.

I completely gave up coffee for awhile and to be honest I felt a lot better. I occasionally slip back into drinking it out of habit/ being exhausted at work after staying up too late etc.

I need to re-grow my willpower and go back to just tea and honey and lemon... all natural and no (or little) caffeine as well.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Along the lines of sugar... I think I may have had a sugar addiction. I am much better at avoiding it now but I realize there are many products I have come to rely on that are made with too much sugar.

Yesterday I was going to buy my staple South Beach bars or Fiber One bars, and I just couldn't do it. Sugar, carbs, preservatives... and nothing really to show for it because the protein is only 5 - 10 grams. Well, I could get that out of a piece of pizza LOL.

I am trying to think of easy-to-bring-with-me snacks because I am so, so busy. I could do toast and tuna, I could try to make my own protein bars, I could do nuts, I could chop up veggies and fruits. I could also pre-cook some chicken and use that for sandwiches, wraps, or even alone... a few bites of chicken would do the same for me hunger and energy-wise what a South Beach bar would do, don't you think? Or am I wrong?

The more I try to figure out all of this stuff, the less I realize I know about nutrition. Even healthy cereal like Kashi and flaxseed has a lot of carbs... should I be eating that many carbs? Nuts have good protein but lots of fat. I know there are good fats and bad fats but I just can't believe the 14g of fat... it doesn't seem good for me.

*********Does anyone have any recommendations of a good basic nutrition book? I don't want a diet fad book or low carb etc... I just want one that is based on healthy, natural eating and how to know what exactly I should be eating each day, instead of South Beach bars!! Something to explains to me good ratios of protein versus carbs versus fats, and how sugar and fiber and all of that fits in to the mix. I really too feel quite dense when it comes to this stuff!*******************

And I was wondering about ya'lls calorie intake because I've really been thinking that if I only eat clean, it doesn't matter as much how much I eat calorie-wise. It seems to take care of itself. At least for me, because most of the calories I used to consume before came from bad sources, like sugary and processed foods. So if I avoid that stuff, I should be good, I'm thinking. (Not that I don't count my calories. I'm just saying... it wouldn't feel like as much of a chore if I could just enjoy guiltlessly eating good healthy stuff.)
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Jess, where do you grocery shop? You eat some very interesting foods that I have never even thought of purchasing (some of which I've never even seen, I don't think!)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    This an example of what I am eating today. I logged everything this morning...As I said earlier, I do not eat clean 100% but working on it...:laugh:

Breakfast
    Folgers - Classic Decaf Instant Coffee Crystals, 1 teaspoon in 6 oz water 4 1 0 0 0 0 remove
    Great Value - Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer, 1 tsp. 10 1 0 1 0 0 remove
    Blueberries - Raw, 25 g 14 4 0 0 1 0 remove
    Planters - Walnuts, 0.5 oz 89 3 2 8 1 0 remove
    Ralston Foods - Old Fashioned Oats 100% Whole Grain, 1/3 cup dry 100 18 3 2 3 0 remove
    Heb - Fat Free Milk, 0.5 cup 40 6 4 0 0 53 remove
    Bananas - Raw, 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) 90 23 1 0 3 1 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 347 56 10 11 8 54
    AM Snacks
    Nuts - Almonds, 7 almond 49 2 2 4 1 0 remove
    Dannon Light and Fit 4 oz. - Strawberry Banana, 1 container 60 11 3 0 0 50 remove
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz) 5 0 1 0 0 9 remove
    Great Value - Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer, 2 tsp. 20 2 0 1 0 0 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 134 15 6 5 1 59
    Lunch
    Homemade - Annette's Korean Soup, 1 cup 168 32 5 3 4 131 remove
    Busy Baker - Baked Wheat Snack Crackers, 16 crackers 130 19 3 5 1 290 remove
    Mangos - Raw, 0.5 cup, sliced 54 14 0 0 1 2 remove
    Pineapple - Raw, all varieties, 0.5 cup, diced 37 10 0 0 1 1 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 389 75 8 8 7 424
    PM Snacks
    Kraft - 2% Mozzarella Cheese Stick, 1 stick (28 grams) 70 0 8 4 0 220 remove
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 small (2-1/2" dia) (approx 4 per lb) 55 15 0 0 3 1 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 125 15 8 4 3 221
    Dinner
    Sweet potato - Cooked, baked in skin, without salt (Sweetpotato), 0.5 cup 90 21 2 0 3 36 remove
    Generic - Grilled Skinless Chicken Breast, 4 oz. 189 0 36 4 0 85 remove
    Broccoli - Raw, 0.25 cup, chopped 7 1 1 0 1 7 remove
    Carrots - Raw, 0.25 cup, strips or slices 13 3 0 0 1 21 remove
    Tomatoes - Red, ripe, raw, June thru October average, 0.25 cup, chopped 9 2 0 0 0 4 remove
    Lettuce - Cos or romaine, raw, 0.5 cup shredded 4 1 0 0 0 2 remove
    Wish-Bone - Salad Spritzers, Caesar Delight Vinaigrette, 10 sprays for 1 cup salad 10 1 0 1 0 85 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 322 29 39 5 5 240
    bedtime snack
    Skinny Cow - Chocolate With Fudge Ice Cream Cone, 1 cone 150 28 4 3 3 95 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 150 28 4 3 3 95
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Lioness, Splenda made me sick too. I avoid anything made with it. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I have never tried Stevia.

I have the coffee dilemma too... I don't like it black, and sometimes I use regular sugar and milk, but my favorite is flavored coffeemate creamers. I sometimes I think I like the creamer more than the coffee! :laugh: But I like the coffee for the caffeine and smell and warmth and habit and the creamer for the flavor.

I completely gave up coffee for awhile and to be honest I felt a lot better. I occasionally slip back into drinking it out of habit/ being exhausted at work after staying up too late etc.

I need to re-grow my willpower and go back to just tea and honey and lemon... all natural and no (or little) caffeine as well.

I will admit that I still use some splenda. I used to use a LOT though, about 3 years ago and really cut back. The thing that I can't handle is aspartame. I gave up Diet Coke 3 years ago and was amazed at how much my migraines diminished. I will never give up my coffee, I have 3 mugs a day (usually 2 in the morning and one in the early afternoon). I do drink teas in the evening though, decaffeinated. I love decaf green tea, and found another one that is really good- honey vanilla chamomile.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Jess, where do you grocery shop? You eat some very interesting foods that I have never even thought of purchasing (some of which I've never even seen, I don't think!)

I shop so many different places for different things! :laugh: I buy bulk items and a lot of fresh fruits/ veggies at Sam's Club, whole grain tortillas & bread.
    I buy my Naturally More Peanut Butter and Joseph's Flax and Oatbran pitas at Super Wal*mart along w/ other canned goods, cereals, pastas, brown rice, and things that are cheaper there.
    I shop Meijer for some of their organic store brands (Meijer brand plain yogurt, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, organic ketchup, tomato sauces, etc) and usually their chicken & pork are cheaper.
    And also Kroger, I like their natural food selection, dairy, and their meats also.

It's taken me a good 3-4 years to really get my diet to where it is now. When I was way overweight (I've lost 70# since I had my dd, but was about 45# heavier most of my adult life), I lived on bagels (thought they were health food), junk like cinnamon rolls (the kind from the can), muffins, pretzels (not terrible, but high in carb), lots of cereals (and not the healthy kind), potatoes, large portions of other foods, and of course sweets- brownies, cookies, cheesecake, etc. It was all about making smaller changes for me. The book that really got me started on realizing how badly I was eating was the South Beach Diet. I realized how much my diet was pretty much ALL carb, low in protein, and no healthy fat! That was 5 years ago now!!! (I remember because my almost 8 yr old was 3, and it was her bday party that really pushed me over the edge, binging on pizza, cake, ice cream, etc). Anyway... I will NEVER go back to that Jess! :noway:

Some good books that are good to get a handle on cleaner eating are The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno, the Abs Diet by (I can't remember, will have to check back!), and I read a lot of online articles. (prevention.com has some good stuff) Just make small changes as you get used to eating cleaner. Pick a whole grain bread instead of white, go for the lower-sugar cereals (Kashi might be higher in carb, but also fiber & protein so it's much better for you), brown rice and whole wheat pasta instead of white, lower fat cheeses, etc. And especially watch for high fructose corn syrup in things (it's in a LOT of things such as ketchup, BBQ sauce, yogurt, crackers, and of course soda & a lot of juices).

Hope that helps some, please ask if you have questions!
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Thanks Jess, that's a lot of great information. I'm checking out the Eat Clean Diet book, which I've never heard of, as well as Jane Brody's Nutrition Book, which I found on Amazon and which looks helpful.

I guess in some ways I'm already good, like I always choose 100% whole grain over white... but I really have to avoid the sugar.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Meal #2:
    Greek yogurt (120)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/2 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (140)
    Fuji Apple (80) = 425

Meal #3:
    Whole grain tortilla (100)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    Large Banana (121)
    1/2 c. cottage cheese (80) = 386

Meal #4:
    Will be leftovers from last night- chicken breast & whole wheat noodles, peas & veggies
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Meal #4:
    4oz chicken breast
    Whole wheat rotini w/ chicken broth & 98% FF cream of chicken
    1/2 c. peas = 412

SF hot cocoa = 139

1,837 cals

Have a great night, everyone!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I guess everyone else had a busy day today too! I've got to log my food now, crazy day here! :laugh:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone! It's great to see that the list has been so busy. I've been giving my body a couple weeks of recovery! :wink: I'm finally beginning to get the urge to work out again after being sick. What I've needed most of all was sleep! I'll be back into it again soon, but the clean eating continues.

Meal #1 3AM to 9AM
    Tea - Brewed, prepared with tap water (black tea), 1 cup (8 fl oz)
    Half & Half, 1 Tbsp
    Oatmeal with apple, flax, protein powder, 1 meal

Meal #2 9AM to 12PM
    Cashews - Halves With Pieces, 1/8 cup
    Lowfat Cottage Cheese, 1/2 cup
    Stonyfield Farm - Plain Lowfat Yogurt, 0.5

Meal #3 12PM to 3PM
    HomeMade - Chocolate Banana Protein Bars, 1 bar
    Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)
    Lance - Salted Peanuts on-the-Go 6-Pack, 25.5 g

Meal #4 3PM to 6PM
    Panera Bread - Half Smoked Turkey Breast on Country , 1/2 sandwich
    Panera Bread - Orchard Harvest Salad - Half Portion, 4.75 ounces

Meal #5 6PM to 9PM
    Coffee and cream, 1 meal

Calories: About 1650.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hey, everyone! It's great to see that the list has been so busy. I've been giving my body a couple weeks of recovery! :wink: I'm finally beginning to get the urge to work out again after being sick. What I've needed most of all was sleep! I'll be back into it again soon, but the clean eating continues.

Welcome back, Cheryl!! I'm glad you posted again!

And too funny, I ate at Panera today for lunch w/ a friend! Yummy! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Ok, finally posting my meals for the day!

Pre-workout:
    1/2 large banana (60)
    Mela Access bar (110) = 170

Workout:
    5 mile tempo run

Post-workout: (packed with me to take to the gym, should have packed more!)
    Fuji Apple (80)
    1/2 c. cottage cheese (80) = 160

Lunch at Panera:
    Cup of black bean soup (150)
    1/2 Fuji Apple chicken salad (260)
    Whole grain baguette (140) = 550

Snack:
    1/2 c. Chobani Greek yogurt (75)
    1/2 c. triple berries (35)
    1/4 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (70)
    .5 oz mixed nuts (85) = 326

Dinner:
    4oz chicken breast (120)
    Very veggie salad, tri colored peppers, broccoli, cauliflower (149)
    2oz whole grain rotini & sauce (240) = 509

SF hot cocoa = 139

Total: 1,875
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    I just wanted to pop in here and say that I really enjoy reading this thread! I enjoy getting idea's on my meals from here! Its been three years since ive discovered clean eating and im still not 100% clean yet....still working on it!

Thanks for the inspiration:flowerforyou: