Replies

• 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    Here is my food for today! :wink:

Pre-Workout:
    Banana + 1/2 WW Eng Muffin Organic PB

#2: (Brkfst)
    Chalean Extreme Burn Breakfast - Egg Sandwich W/ Canadian Bacon (243)

#3: (snack)
    Grapefruit, Almonds + 1/2 Pure Protein Bar

#4 (Lunch)
    Chicken Breast (boneless/skinless)
    2 Hard Boiled Eggs (whites only)
    Quinoa Tabbouleh (from Tosca's Eat Clean Diet)

#5 (snack): Cottage Cheese + 4 Strawberries

#6 (dinner):
    Chicken Breast, Green salad w/ fresh veggies
    Asparagus, 1/2 Sweet potatoe + cottage cheese

Hope everyone is doing good!? :flowerforyou:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Cheryl - I think your concerns and frustration are very understandable! :wink: I’ve been there myself and have sometimes wondered why I am so consumed when I don’t see the results I want to see. First as an outsider not knowing you I would absolutely say that your knowledge and efforts just from what I have read is great ~ that in itself is a huge accomplishment that you would acquire and put forth the effort. Also, being a runner and Cathe STS (I’m familiar with but haven’t tried that one .. yet!) is a great physical accomplishment. My thoughts go to my own personal experience of being maybe a little burned out on whatever program I am doing. There have been times where I wonder if it is worth all the efforts and I just exercise and go through the motions but not really excited about it, hence potentially sabotage myself with my attitude at that time. Through those times I continue to keep on keeping on and try to eat right so that everything doesn’t feel like a struggle all at once. Maybe you are simply feeling a bit burned out? Trying something completely different – even if it is one day or one piece of your workout to change things up a bit?!? I am not sure but I understand your feeling absolutely. How I stay focused is minimizing it or breaking it down to day-by-day and knowing I will feel WAY worse if I go off course and too far off course could be really hard to start again. I don’t know if this helps at all but I commend you on reaching out and your efforts day-to-day! :flowerforyou:

You are so right -- "burned out" is exactly where I am. Suddenly exercise just isn't fun anymore. I've been so consumed with it for so long and It's become drudgery, and I'm trying to figure out why. I think I feel like there's nowhere else to go and nothing else to do. I'm going to be doing the same workouts now indefinitely -- BFFM weighlifting, the occasional weight training and step video, elliptical, and as much running as my body will allow me to do. I vary things a lot. My workouts are never the same, and I've worked really heard at keeping things interesting and keeping myself from plateauing by varying things as much as possible. Two and a half years is the longest I've ever gone with a fitness program before burning out.

The problem now is that I'm mentally plateauing. After Tom Venuto and Tosca Reno, I feel like there's nothing else to learn. There's almost nothing that the two of them don't cover. I know "everything" now! :tongue: :laugh: (Of course, I DON'T know everything, or I wouldn't be going through this.) So how do I keep fitness mentally challenging as well as physically challenging? To go any further with it, I'll need to become REALLY OCD about diet and fitness :laugh: , and I just don't have the energy or desire to be such a perfectionist. And if something's not mentally challenging, I grow bored.

I just spent $250 on an exercise program that when it finally got here, after months and months of waiting, I had moved on to other things. I have no interest in doing Cathe's STS anymore. I'm interested in trying the Beachbody program, but that would require another major investment, and I don't really want to do videos anymore, in general, anyway.

I may just have to let myself get out of shape again until I get motivated by how awful I feel. :huh: It's terrible, but I don't know what else to do to kick myself in the butt. I'll keep eating clean. I'll probably stay thin, even without calorie counting (I'm not doing that now, either) but I'll slowly grow flabby and start hating myself :frown: :grumble: , and then maybe I'll wake up and get moving again.

I don't know. I'm just lost. Thanks, guys, for listening and supporting me through this.
  • cherapple
    Options
    Thanks a lot cherapple. I don't mean to sound stupid but can people really "gain" muscle weight? I thought muscle and fat weighed the same, it was just a matter of muscle distributing itself better than fat and the body burning calories better when it had more muscle.

But I could see how, in doing this Making the Cut exercise for the past almost month, I would have "gained" some muscle and thus some weight. If that's possible then I think that *would* be the issue -- and I think I can balance it by adding back in more cardio.

The strange thing is, my scale measures body fat too and it says mine went *up* by a percentage and a half. I would think that if I was gaining muscle and eating well, I'd be losing fat, not gaining. It boggles my mind! Thanks for the support.

You don't sound stupid. :smile: You can gain muscle weight. A pound of muscle does way the same as a pound of fat (a pound, of course :tongue: ), but the muscle will take up less space. So a cubic inch of muscle will weigh more than a cubic inch of fat, and it will look much nicer on you, too. :laugh: Does that make sense? If you're trying to gain muscle, you *do* want to gain weight. You don't want to just "lose weight" (that's a very vague concept by itself). What you want to lose is *body fat.* They are two completely different things.

As for your body fat scale, they are not always accurate. Does your scale also measure water weight and bone mass? If it doesn't, these things will be included in your "lean body mass." You say your body fat went up, though, and that is puzzling. :huh: See what it says next week because one week doesn't make a trend. I think if you're doing all the right things, then all that's left is patience! :flowerforyou: :smile:

(If feel a little funny giving advice right now since I'm floundering myself! :ohwell: But I hope that helps.)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

I may just have to let myself get out of shape again until I get motivated by how awful I feel. :huh: It's terrible, but I don't know what else to do to kick myself in the butt. I'll keep eating clean. I'll probably stay thin, even without calorie counting (I'm not doing that now, either) but I'll slowly grow flabby and start hating myself :frown: :grumble: , and then maybe I'll wake up and get moving again.

I don't know. I'm just lost. Thanks, guys, for listening and supporting me through this.

It does sound like you are burning out, girl. I think maybe the rest is what you need. At least you're lucky in that you won't gain a lot of weight while taking some time off. I would definitely gain and I don't want to go back to the old me! Sorry you are feeling lost. You have STS... are you using the workouts? I'm sure that is a new challenge that you haven't done before. Have you thought about becoming a Personal Trainer or something with your knowledge? Studying to be a nutritionist?? Just a couple thoughts!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Wednesday the 25th... the month is coming to an end!

Pre-workout:
    Small banana (90)

Workout:
    ChaLean Extreme Lean Circuit #2

Breakfast:
    1/4 c. multi grain cereal, 1/4 c. old fashioned oatmeal, 1/4 c. Fiber one
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder, 1 T. NM PB, 1/4 c. cottage cheese = (355)
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot cherapple. I don't mean to sound stupid but can people really "gain" muscle weight? I thought muscle and fat weighed the same, it was just a matter of muscle distributing itself better than fat and the body burning calories better when it had more muscle.

But I could see how, in doing this Making the Cut exercise for the past almost month, I would have "gained" some muscle and thus some weight. If that's possible then I think that *would* be the issue -- and I think I can balance it by adding back in more cardio.

The strange thing is, my scale measures body fat too and it says mine went *up* by a percentage and a half. I would think that if I was gaining muscle and eating well, I'd be losing fat, not gaining. It boggles my mind! Thanks for the support.

You don't sound stupid. :smile: You can gain muscle weight. A pound of muscle does way the same as a pound of fat (a pound, of course :tongue: ), but the muscle will take up less space. So a cubic inch of muscle will weigh more than a cubic inch of fat, and it will look much nicer on you, too. :laugh: Does that make sense? If you're trying to gain muscle, you *do* want to gain weight. You don't want to just "lose weight" (that's a very vague concept by itself). What you want to lose is *body fat.* They are two completely different things.

As for your body fat scale, they are not always accurate. Does your scale also measure water weight and bone mass? If it doesn't, these things will be included in your "lean body mass." You say your body fat went up, though, and that is puzzling. :huh: See what it says next week because one week doesn't make a trend. I think if you're doing all the right things, then all that's left is patience! :flowerforyou: :smile:

(If feel a little funny giving advice right now since I'm floundering myself! :ohwell: But I hope that helps.)

Thanks for the help and advice, Cheryl. Your posts have been a big inspiration to me so I hope you don't give up!!! Perhaps take up a brand new hobby like rock climbing (I don't know if you have a mountain or indoor gym by you but it's really, really fun and builds your upper body so well!), a dance class, kayaking, etc... maybe something wild and crazy to re-jump start your energy!
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Cheryl -- here is an update...

No, my scale doesn't tell me where the body fat comes from, it is just a healthometer scale with a "body fat" percentage in the bottom corner. So I see what you mean about it not being too helpful.

Today I was back down 2 pounds or so (still about 2.5 more than I weighed a week and a half ago) AND my body fat percentage is lower. !!!!! Yay. I have lost about 4% body fat in the couple of months since I've been working out and especially since I've been eating clean. I still plan to drop quite a bit more body fat.

I think you're right that I'm gaining muscle and that makes me feel much better. I also think that my body is adjusting to eating this way -- I feel like fruits make my stomach bloated, does this happen to anyone else, at least at first? I used to eat maybe one piece of fruit a day, like a banana in my cereal or something, and now I eat 3 - 4 servings a day as well as a lot of salad and I feel like my stomach retains water because of that. ? I am hoping it just needs to adjust and after it gets used to it, I will go back to being normal LOL.
  • jessmomof3
    Options

No, my scale doesn't tell me where the body fat comes from, it is just a healthometer scale with a "body fat" percentage in the bottom corner. So I see what you mean about it not being too helpful.

Today I was back down 2 pounds or so (still about 2.5 more than I weighed a week and a half ago) AND my body fat percentage is lower. !!!!! Yay. I have lost about 4% body fat in the couple of months since I've been working out and especially since I've been eating clean. I still plan to drop quite a bit more body fat.

I think you're right that I'm gaining muscle and that makes me feel much better. I also think that my body is adjusting to eating this way -- I feel like fruits make my stomach bloated, does this happen to anyone else, at least at first? I used to eat maybe one piece of fruit a day, like a banana in my cereal or something, and now I eat 3 - 4 servings a day as well as a lot of salad and I feel like my stomach retains water because of that. ? I am hoping it just needs to adjust and after it gets used to it, I will go back to being normal LOL.

Good for you! Sometimes it's just staying the course and being consistent. Weight can fluctuate (mine fluctuates between a few pounds) but it comes off. :bigsmile: Do you eat your fruit plain or with something? I hear differing opinions... some say eat fruit alone and others say eat it with protein. Maybe experiment and see what works better for you? Keep it up, girl!!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi Clean Eaters! I'm still here, it's just taking more time to post my meals. I'm obviously keeping track here at MFP and feeling great! :bigsmile:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

Good for you! Sometimes it's just staying the course and being consistent. Weight can fluctuate (mine fluctuates between a few pounds) but it comes off. :bigsmile: Do you eat your fruit plain or with something? I hear differing opinions... some say eat fruit alone and others say eat it with protein. Maybe experiment and see what works better for you? Keep it up, girl!!

Thanks so much for the encouragement Jess!!

I usually eat my bananas and blueberries in my cereal or oatmeal, usually with protein powder, so hopefully that counts as with protein. I eat all my other fruit alone unless it's like apples or berries in a salad. I will have to try pairing it with protein and see it that makes a difference. I could really go for some peanut butter and banana! ;)
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Hi Clean Eaters! I'm still here, it's just taking more time to post my meals. I'm obviously keeping track here at MFP and feeling great! :bigsmile:

Good for you. I don't usually get time to post what I eat here but I always log it.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement Jess!!

I usually eat my bananas and blueberries in my cereal or oatmeal, usually with protein powder, so hopefully that counts as with protein. I eat all my other fruit alone unless it's like apples or berries in a salad. I will have to try pairing it with protein and see it that makes a difference. I could really go for some peanut butter and banana! ;)

No problem! Yeah, I love fruit in my oatmeal, but lately have been eating my banana first thing in the morning (before workout) and then oatmeal after. I LOVE PB and banana wrapped in a whole grain tortilla. YUM! :bigsmile:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    No problem! Yeah, I love fruit in my oatmeal, but lately have been eating my banana first thing in the morning (before workout) and then oatmeal after. I LOVE PB and banana wrapped in a whole grain tortilla. YUM! :bigsmile:

It's really funny that you said that because I have been wondering about a favorite "treat" of mine. The deli/bakery across the street from my office sells this thing called a Breakfast Wrap for only $2.75. It is a tortilla (don't think whole wheat but also not a cheap preservative-filled kind... looks like a pretty decent tortilla) filled with peanut butter, banana, granola and honey. I absolutely *love* this thing but I try to make it an occasional treat because I realize it is probably loaded with calories. It's pretty big -- looks like a burrito! -- and I have no way to tell how many tablespoons of peanut butter they put in it, or honey.

The good thing is that when I get it it keeps me full for most of the day... I'll buy it at like 8:30 and then I won't get hungry again until about 2:30! So I'll try to eat a small meal then and hold out for dinner to make up the calories.

I have thought of three solutions to solve my problem with my love for this thing and my desire to limit my calories:

1) Eat half one day and save half for the next day -- not sure how the bananas would keep in the fridge but I think it might be okay.

2) Ask them at the deli exactly how much of each ingredient they put in, so I can log it and get an accurate calorie count. At the moment I guess and it's 600 calories!! So it would be nice to know if that's anywhere close.

3) (I think I am going to go with this option, especially after reading your post): make my own at home! Then I can control the portions and it can be just a breakfast, not a huge-calorie meal. I could make it with a whole grain tortilla, a little bit of granola, two tablespoons of PB and a tablespoon of honey. I could even make that part ahead of time and wrap them up in the fridge and then add the chopped banana for an on-the-go breakfast. What do you think? :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea and really yummy!

Here is mine.

Santa Fe Whole grain tortilla (buy in bulk at Sam's club)
    - 100 cals
    Medium banana- 105
    1 T. NM PB - 85 = 290 cals

Have you tried Agave Nectar?? It's similar to honey but has a lower glyemic index (less sugar spike). It would be good on there too! I think I know what I'm having for my afternoon snack now! :laugh:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea and really yummy!

Here is mine.

Santa Fe Whole grain tortilla (buy in bulk at Sam's club)
    - 100 cals
    Medium banana- 105
    1 T. NM PB - 85 = 290 cals

Have you tried Agave Nectar?? It's similar to honey but has a lower glyemic index (less sugar spike). It would be good on there too! I think I know what I'm having for my afternoon snack now! :laugh:

That sounds delicious. I am going to have to join Sam's Club and also look into Agave Nectar... I've never tried it. I don't mean to be stupid what is "NM" peanut butter? I live in New Mexico so I thought of that HA HA HA, but I know that's not right. :wink:

If I added a bit of granola to that I could still be at 400 calories which is fine for me... I like to load up on breakfast and then taper off throughout the day. I'm not sure how 1 tablespoon of peanut butter spreads out over that whole tortilla LOL but I will try it.

I've just realized in another thread I may be eating *too many* calories... I am going to try to stick to around 1400 which isn't eating *all* of my exercise calories but I think it may help. So I'm going to find more recipes like this that are low calorie that fill me up. Thanks!!! You've totally inspired me to make my own "Breakfast Wraps" LOL.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Sorry, that's my abbreviation! It's Naturally More PB (http://www.peanutsnack.com) I buy it at Super Wal*mart. It's made w/ flaxseed oil and has less fat than normal PB. It's also a little runnier, but I love it because I love to mix it in my oatmeal, yogurt, etc.

I set mine between 1500-1600 cals and then add in my exercise cals. I'm not looking to lose a lot of weight now though, just those last few pounds before summer. :bigsmile: And I work out intensely. No way could I go down to 1,200... (BTW, I'm also 5'7" tall so not sure if that matters)

I just had my tortilla/ PB/ banana snack, but right now only have small bananas, so my snack was 275 cals. :bigsmile:

You can find Agave Nectar in the health section at some stores (Kroger or Meijer carries it around here). Hope that helps!
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Sorry, that's my abbreviation! It's Naturally More PB (http://www.peanutsnack.com) I buy it at Super Wal*mart. It's made w/ flaxseed oil and has less fat than normal PB. It's also a little runnier, but I love it because I love to mix it in my oatmeal, yogurt, etc.

I set mine between 1500-1600 cals and then add in my exercise cals. I'm not looking to lose a lot of weight now though, just those last few pounds before summer. :bigsmile: And I work out intensely. No way could I go down to 1,200... (BTW, I'm also 5'7" tall so not sure if that matters)

I just had my tortilla/ PB/ banana snack, but right now only have small bananas, so my snack was 275 cals. :bigsmile:

You can find Agave Nectar in the health section at some stores (Kroger or Meijer carries it around here). Hope that helps!

Oh cool, I'll have to check it out. All of these new foods LOL. Yeah, I think we have some differences because I am trying to lose at least 10 pounds and I am short... not even 5'2". I am very active too and work out intensely so it's hard for me to not take in a lot of calories... I feel hungry just about every 2 hours! So I'm trying to fit in smaller things with less calories because I realize it doesn't take much to fill me up and I'll be just as hungry again anyway in another two hours!
  • 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone - I'm still here too. Just didn't post yesterday ... although still ate good & recorded here in MFP! :wink: p.s. I love Agave Nectar too - i put a dab on my Greek Yogurt; yum! It's a treat.

So today was Burn Intervals - love it! Food so far for today:

Pre-Workout:
    Small Banana + 1/2 WW Eng Muffin w/ Organic PB

Snack in a.m.
    Grapefruit
    ½ C. Cottage Cheese
    Almonds

Lunch:
    Tuna Fish
    Romaine/Spinach Salad w/ Cherry Tomatoes & red peppers
    1 HB Egg (white only)

Snack:
    Ricotta (1/2 c.) w/ agave nectar for sweetener
    ½ Apple

Dinner:
    BBQ Boneless Skinless Chx Brst
    ½ Sw Potatoe + Cottage Cheese
    Toscas Eat Clean Quinoa Tabbouleh (1/2 c) yum!

Hope everyone is doing good this week! :flowerforyou: Jess, I want the stores you have. I live in a smaller community and all those fun foods are harder to find.
    Thanks for being here everyone!
  • cherapple
    Options
    Thanks for the help and advice, Cheryl. Your posts have been a big inspiration to me so I hope you don't give up!!! Perhaps take up a brand new hobby like rock climbing (I don't know if you have a mountain or indoor gym by you but it's really, really fun and builds your upper body so well!), a dance class, kayaking, etc... maybe something wild and crazy to re-jump start your energy!

Thanks. I'm still here, but I'm not feeling very inspirational lately!

I love rock climbing. We go a couple times a year, but it's expensive to do it a lot. I could use a new sport, I just don't know what. What is as cheap and convenient as running? I think if I could run without problem, I'd be happy no matter what. :smile: :ohwell: It's the only thing I never tire of, and yet for more than a year I've been having problems with it.

Today I'm going to the gym, period. My blood is beginning to feel like goo because I haven't been getting it flowing on a daily basis. It needs a good burst of oxygen. Even if I don't lift weights, I'm going for a good stint on the elliptical.

Off to start the March thread.... Spring is almost here. Next week is daylight savings. Maybe I'm just having a case of the end-of-winter blahs. :frown: The warmer weather is going to perk me up, I just know it. :happy: :laugh:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

Thanks. I'm still here, but I'm not feeling very inspirational lately!

I love rock climbing. We go a couple times a year, but it's expensive to do it a lot. I could use a new sport, I just don't know what. What is as cheap and convenient as running? I think if I could run without problem, I'd be happy no matter what. :smile: :ohwell: It's the only thing I never tire of, and yet for more than a year I've been having problems with it.

Today I'm going to the gym, period. My blood is beginning to feel like goo because I haven't been getting it flowing on a daily basis. It needs a good burst of oxygen. Even if I don't lift weights, I'm going for a good stint on the elliptical.

Off to start the March thread.... Spring is almost here. Next week is daylight savings. Maybe I'm just having a case of the end-of-winter blahs. :frown: The warmer weather is going to perk me up, I just know it. :happy: :laugh:

That is such a shame that you're having problems with running. I don't know what I'd do if that happened to me!!! :cry:

Does the gym you belong to have a pool? I think swimming is a pretty convenient and cheap (if you already belong to the gym anyway, and it has a pool) way to exercise, also with less injuries.

I know what you mean though... nothing beats running, nothing!!!