Clean Eating Club ~ February 2009

Options

Replies

• neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    That is so great!! That has been my struggle too. To really *see* myself as other people see me. I guess losing 70# it took me a long time to see myself as thin. I used to go shopping and grab clothes to try on in a bigger size thinking they wouldn't fit and they wouldn't... but because they were way too big! :laugh:

It's hard going out to eat. I always check chain restaurants for their nutritional info, but it varies from each location also! We don't eat out too often though, expensive w/ a family of 5!! :grumble:

I know. This is the first time I have *ever* felt thin but it's not even about thin, it's more about feeling like I am in good shape and I take good care of myself. I have only been doing this clean eating thing for a few days but I think just the mindset of it helps me so much. I never realized all the junk I put in my body (and I really didn't eat that bad... not since college anyway). I just realize there are good choices and bad choices and I am so proud of myself for making the good choices. It makes me not even want to eat badly, whereas before, I obsessed about my body/ food and I had to tell myself to resist temptations and then I would cave etc. Now I'm like, I can eat it if I want to, but do I really want to? I've been working out for about a month straight, very consistently, so I think I am finally starting to see results from that, and combined with how I've been eating well it's just like, woah, a whole new Me. When I look in the mirror, I think two things: "Thanks Jillan" (because I've been doing her workout book and it really works!) and then "Thanks Neeterskeeter" :laugh: Today I was thinking, I wish I had a shirt that says Body By Neeterskeeter... because that's why I think I"ve been feeling so good about my body... it's mine and I've been shaping it and that is a new feeling for me!

Anyway. I'm glad we've got these good feelings going on LOL!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I know. This is the first time I have *ever* felt thin but it's not even about thin, it's more about feeling like I am in good shape and I take good care of myself. I have only been doing this clean eating thing for a few days but I think just the mindset of it helps me so much. I never realized all the junk I put in my body (and I really didn't eat that bad... not since college anyway). I just realize there are good choices and bad choices and I am so proud of myself for making the good choices. It makes me not even want to eat badly, whereas before, I obsessed about my body/ food and I had to tell myself to resist temptations and then I would cave etc. Now I'm like, I can eat it if I want to, but do I really want to? I've been working out for about a month straight, very consistently, so I think I am finally starting to see results from that, and combined with how I've been eating well it's just like, woah, a whole new Me. When I look in the mirror, I think two things: "Thanks Jillan" (because I've been doing her workout book and it really works!) and then "Thanks Neeterskeeter" :laugh: Today I was thinking, I wish I had a shirt that says Body By Neeterskeeter... because that's why I think I"ve been feeling so good about my body... it's mine and I've been shaping it and that is a new feeling for me!

Anyway. I'm glad we've got these good feelings going on LOL!

Feel the love, man! :heart: That's great! It does make a huge difference in how you feel and your whole outlook! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I think I'm going to go w/ Cheryl's (and the BFFM thing) and call my food meals instead of meals and snacks because most of them are pretty evenly spaced.

Meal #1:
    Banana (105- but ate it before working out)
    1/2 c. multi grain hot cereal (130)
    1/4 c. Fiber one (30)
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder (60)
    1 T. NM PB (85) , 1 T. flax (30)
    1/4 c. cottage cheese (40) = 480

Meal #2:
    2% Fage Total Greek yogurt (130)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/2 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (140)
    Fuji apple (80) = 435

Meal #3:
    Broccoli & cauliflower (100)
    Vanilla yogurt (80)
    1 T. Better n Peanut Butter (50)
    Cheddar Soy crisps (120) = 350

Meal #4:
    8oz Tofu Shiritaki Fettuccini noodles (40)
    1/4 c. Light Parmesan sauce (70)
    4oz chicken breast (120)
    1/2 c. diced red pepper (19)
    1 T. parmesan cheese (25) = 274

Meal #5:
    SF hot cocoa (139) <side note, it seems that everything on this week has been about the health benefits of cocoa powder and dark chocolate, so I'm sticking w/ my evening treat! :bigsmile: >

Total: 1,678 (have 51 cals left but not much to snack on for that! :wink: )
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Happy Valentine's Day!

Workout:
    ChaLean Extreme Burn It Off!

Meal #1:
    Multi grain hot cereal breakfast (375) <easier than typing it out again>

Helping out w/ my dd's Brownie troop and then we're taking the girls out to lunch at our fav Chinese buffet. Lots of veggies, fruit, and lean proteins for me! (hard to figure out the cal counts though!)

Have a super day! I am loving my new HRM that my hubby got me for V-day! :heart:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    OK, I'm going to have to try to fix my picture. Click and you can see the full length shot, my hubby took some new pics for me today! And I fixed my ticker... I'm officially down 8# since starting at MFP!!

Went for lunch at Chinese buffet:
    I had a piece of salmon, some shrimp, chicken, and lots of broccoli, snow peas, zucchini, mushrooms, green peppers, grape tomatoes. I was going to get some fruit for dessert, but felt satisfied and knew I would feel stuffed if I went for the fruit.

Dinner:
    Making lean hamburgers & probably a baked sweet potato.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Jess, look at you!!! You look great! :happy: And *zero* pounds to go! Wow! Congrats for reaching your goal! :heart:

I need a new pic. Mine is a year and a half old and I think I look better now. At least I did before this week. :huh: :grumble: I've been so tired, and when I'm tired I crave sugar, and I eat it. Somehow I think it's going to give me energy, but of course it has the opposite effect and makes me crash even more. I'm still exhausted today and don't feel like I am ready to exercise. I haven't had any sugar today, though, so that part's good! Yesterday was another disaster. :frown: We had a Valentine's Day party with our group, and I ate cake and cookies. (I hadn't had either one in quite a while.) Ugh, why is a measly cold sapping the energy out of me? My body is telling me it needs to rest, I guess, and I'm listening. :ohwell: :smile:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Have a super day! I am loving my new HRM that my hubby got me for V-day! :heart:

Lucky you! Is it one with the strap, or a wrist monitor? I've been thinking of buying one, but can't decide which one to buy.
  • cherapple
    Options
    My muscles are sore so I'm just going to get through my workout this morning and taking my rest day tomorrow! (it's been a little while since I've taken a day off!).

You don't take a rest day every week? I didn't used to, but now I do. Ideally, I'd work out every day, if I had my way. I don't like to get used to taking days off because it would be too easy to just keep taking every day off! I get afraid of overworking myself, though, and getting injured or sick (like this week).
  • cherapple
    Options
    Cherapple and Phoenixflame,
    I also am an avid Tom Venuto fan. I bought BFFM about 4 years ago. I recently wiped the dust off the harddrive where it is stored and read it again (and again). Tom's info is really awesome, and every time I read BFFM I walk away feeling motivated.

The thing I was wondering about: I have only eaten meals 1 and 2 today and I only have 3 grams of fat left for the rest of the day. Now, I could understand if I had bacon and fried eggs for breakfast and fried pork chops for meal 2, but I didn't. I was wondering if I could list meals 1 and 2 to see if you guys see anything wrong with them.
    Meal 1) 3/4 cup oatmeal; 1 egg and 2 egg whites; 1 whole wheat toast; and 1 T. peanut butter.

Meal 2) Homemade protein bar; Fruit (18 grapes, 1 large strawberry), 2 water crackers.

I really didn't think I was doing bad, but maybe there's something I'm not seeing.

It depends on how much fat you're trying to eat. You could ditch the full egg and the peanut butter. I don't know how much fat is in the protein bar. Personally, I like to eat fat, and Tom even says that he really started getting "cut" when he gave up on the 80s low-fat craze and added more fat to his diet. Your meals look great to me. :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options

You don't take a rest day every week? I didn't used to, but now I do. Ideally, I'd work out every day, if I had my way. I don't like to get used to taking days off because it would be too easy to just keep taking every day off! I get afraid of overworking myself, though, and getting injured or sick (like this week).

Yeah, I used to take Sundays off, but now that I'm doing the half marathon training my long runs will probably be on Sundays. I just did a 25 min workout this morning, felt like I needed to w/ V-Day. :heart: I know when I need to rest, so I just try to rest on those days. Finding what works for each person can be such a balancing act! I hope you feel better soon. Cookies & cake help?? :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Lucky you! Is it one with the strap, or a wrist monitor? I've been thinking of buying one, but can't decide which one to buy.

It has the chest strap and it shows the display on the wrist watch. It's really great, I love it! :heart:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Jess, look at you!!! You look great! :happy: And *zero* pounds to go! Wow! Congrats for reaching your goal! :heart:

I need a new pic. Mine is a year and a half old and I think I look better now. At least I did before this week. :huh: :grumble: I've been so tired, and when I'm tired I crave sugar, and I eat it. Somehow I think it's going to give me energy, but of course it has the opposite effect and makes me crash even more. I'm still exhausted today and don't feel like I am ready to exercise. I haven't had any sugar today, though, so that part's good! Yesterday was another disaster. :frown: We had a Valentine's Day party with our group, and I ate cake and cookies. (I hadn't had either one in quite a while.) Ugh, why is a measly cold sapping the energy out of me? My body is telling me it needs to rest, I guess, and I'm listening. :ohwell: :smile:

Thanks! I am actually going to change it to 5 more pounds, but that was my goal by V-day that I hit! Woohoo! :bigsmile: Yes, you need a new pic so we can see the new *cleaner* you! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Meal #3:
    1 c. NF yogurt, 1 T. NM PB, 1/4 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (70) = 295

Meal #4:
    Lean hamburger, slice of swiss cheese, whole grain bun, mushrooms & onions
    1 small square Lindt 70% dark chocolate = 397

Meal #5:
    Small Fuji apple, 1 T. almond butter
    SF hot cocoa = 333

Not sure of total for the day because of lunch out, but feel like I did very well for V-day! :bigsmile:
  • cherapple
    Options
    I'm still feeling woozy today - sick to my stomach and weak. Another day of no exercise, but I'm trying to eat well, at least. I can't believe how much this little cold has knocked me down!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm still feeling woozy today - sick to my stomach and weak. Another day of no exercise, but I'm trying to eat well, at least. I can't believe how much this little cold has knocked me down!

Sorry you're still not feeling well! Take it easy and let your body heal up! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Monday, Feb 16th. Starting a new challenge since hitting my goal, 5# by Easter. :bigsmile:

Workout:
    ChaLean Lean Circuit #1

Breakfast:
    1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal (150)
    1/4 c. Fiber one (30)
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder (60)
    1 T. NM PB (85), 1 T. Flax (30)
    1/4 c. cottage cheese (40) = 395

Kiddos out of school today for President's Day so gotta run! :wink:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Monday, Feb 16th. Starting a new challenge since hitting my goal, 5# by Easter. :bigsmile:

Jess, you're a pro at goal setting! :happy:

I need to get stronger on my goals. The BFFM program is all about goal setting and *writing them down.* It's so important to have strong, well-defined goals, if you ever want to meet them. So that's my next goal -- to get a date book just for goal setting -- and that way the next time I feel tired or stressed, or I have a cold like this, it won't be so easy to succumb to eating poorly and not exercising! I'll have a goal written in stone that I HAVE to meet. :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Jess, you're a pro at goal setting! :happy:

I need to get stronger on my goals. The BFFM program is all about goal setting and *writing them down.* It's so important to have strong, well-defined goals, if you ever want to meet them. So that's my next goal -- to get a date book just for goal setting -- and that way the next time I feel tired or stressed, or I have a cold like this, it won't be so easy to succumb to eating poorly and not exercising! I'll have a goal written in stone that I HAVE to meet. :bigsmile:

Thanks, Cheryl! I have found that setting smaller goals works well for me. Yep, you must have something to shoot for!! So your goal now is to have a goal! :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Meal #2:
    3/4 c. NF yogurt (105)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/2 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (140)
    Fuji Apple (80) = 410
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Wow Jess you look amazing. I am very impressed!!!

I've done pretty well... on Valentine's Day I splurged a little by sharing a hot fudge sundae with my boyfriend for dessert and having some jack and diet coke. But it's still much better than I usually eat and I feel healthy and happy. :smile: I have been continuing to work out.