Clean Eating Club ~ February 2009

Options

Replies

• cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello, Cheryl! Sorry I've been scarce, just haven't had a free minute it seems!! I'm feeling really good w/ my eating and saw a friend that I haven't seen in about a month. The first thing out of her mouth was... have you lost weight?? Your face looks thinner and you look even slimmer! Woohoo, yeah she's a good friend! :bigsmile:

That's great, Jess! I love it when people acknowledge physical improvements! :happy: A friend of mine recently said she notices the difference in my features, too, since I started clean eating, so she's been asking me about it and working on incorporating more clean eating habits into her life. She's not as dedicated as I am, but she's enjoying a few dietary changes and appreciating healthier foods.
  • cherapple
    Options
    I didn't have a great day yesterday. I never got in my workout, I lost track of my calories, and then I went overboard at dinner. :grumble: Grrr. I give myself an inch, and I take a mile. :laugh:

The rest of my meals:
    3) Salad with tuna and vinegar and oil dressing, homemade protein bar. Cals: 343. Protein: 30

And then I lost track:

4) 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, banana, black coffee
    5) Flatbread with peanut butter, my protein hot cocoa
    6) 1/2 baked potato with turkey taco meat, veggie bacon, salsa, cheese, sour cream, and way too many tortilla chips :noway: :blushing:

7) Popcorn with butter spray and white cheddar powder :noway: :blushing:

Not a good eating or exercise day, but there it is! :laugh: Today we're going to a winterfest, where I will get some exercise of some kind -- sledding and/or snowshoeing -- and hopefully *make it to the gym* before the day is out (because I didn't make it this morning -- I stayed up too late last night)! :heart:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Pre-morning workout: Yoplait - Yoplus Strawberry, 4 oz

AFter workout: Darigold - Fat Free Cottage Cheese, 1/2 cup
    Strawberries - Raw, 0.25 cup, halves
    Generic - Hard Boiled Egg White, 0.5 egg
    Kraft - Spicy Brown Mustard, 0.5 tsp
    Starkist - Chunk Light Tuna In Water, 2 oz drained
    Spices - Pepper, black, 0.25 tbsp

Pre-afternoon workout: Pink Lady Apple, 1 apple

Dinner is going to be grilled chicken breast and salad. I know the mustard is not too clean. How is everything else? I had bought that Eat-Clean Diet by Tosco Reno way back in September. I went shopping the other day after reading it again. I want to make sure I am doing it right! I did get off to a late start this morning so I haven't had as much time to eat. I am headed to do the ellipitical now though. Already 1 hour of cardio and 1/2 hour of strength training down today. Have a great Friday!

I think mustard is fine! And Pink Lady apples are my favorite -- so sweet and crunchy! Don't worry about doing everything right all at once. It can be overwhelming to change your diet overnight. Also, you may decide that there are certain clean eating principles that you want to deviate from, just because you like a certain food and don't want to give it up! :bigsmile: (One thing for me is sometimes having cream and maple syrup in my coffee. I also prefer lowfat foods to no fat foods.) As long as you are eating within your calorie range most of the time and eating clean 80-90% of the time, you will notice a difference and feel great. Unless you are very motivated to do so (some people are!), you don't have to do it perfectly.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is the way
  • cherapple
    Options
    Clean eating is the way

Hi, Ben! Of course, I agree completely! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    That's great, Jess! I love it when people acknowledge physical improvements! :happy: A friend of mine recently said she notices the difference in my features, too, since I started clean eating, so she's been asking me about it and working on incorporating more clean eating habits into her life. She's not as dedicated as I am, but she's enjoying a few dietary changes and appreciating healthier foods.

I know, it really did make my day y'day! Yeah for you too, spread the clean eating word! :bigsmile:

Oh, and I love butter spray & white cheddar on my popcorn too! Yummy! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I just haven't had time to log everything lately but still feel on track so I'm sticking with it! Busy busy!

Workout:
    ChaLean Extreme Burn Intervals and P90X Ab Ripper X

Breakfast:
    1/2 c. multi grain hot cereal (130)
    1/4 c. Fiber one (30)
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder (60)
    1 T. NM PB (85), 1 T. flax (30)
    1/4 c. cottage cheese (40)

Lunch:
    2% Fage Total yogurt (130) - half off at Kroger today! Woohoo, I stocked up and got the last 6 of them! :bigsmile:
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/2 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (150)
    Fuji Apple (80), Clementine (40)

Tonight we were invited to a friend's house for dinner and I know she is making a lasagna. So I am taking a veggie tray and will hopefully find something else healthy to eat! :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    OK, I'm so glad that I took a veggie tray to dinner last night!! I did eat a small piece of lasagna (you should have seen the pieces served out! :noway: ) and a piece of Whole wheat garlic bread that I took also.

I have been paying for that lasagna today, my IBS is in over-drive which is NOT fun. Good reminder of why I don't usually go for the full fat cheeses and meat! (I'm sure that's what was in there! :huh: ) It was fun though, nice to be w/ friends.

So.... today....

Breakfast:
    1/2 c. Multi grain hot cereal (130)
    1/4 c. Fiber one (30)
    1 T. NM PB (85), 1 T. flax (30)
    1/4 c. cottage cheese (40)
    8 strawberries (40)

Lunch:
    2% Fage Total Yogurt (130)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/2 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (150)
    8 strawberries (40)
    Fuji Apple (80)
    1/2 orange (40)

Went and did my 6 mile run on the TM (running buddies ditched out on me!)

Post-run:
    Same as breakfast minus the strawberries

And still have 900 cals to eat up!!!!!!! Not gonna happen but I'll eat something else soon! :noway:
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a while now, but am just coming across this post. I think it's WONDERFUL that you all are talking about and living clean. I didn't know there was an official term for "clean eating" (where have I been...huh? :laugh: ), but it's something I've been trying to do for a while now. Not necessarily everything organic, just natural food. That's what it's all about. That's what our bodies were designed to run on.

Right on ladies! :drinker:

Looking forward to continue reading your posts and get more motivation! :flowerforyou:
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Cheese is okay...right?
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Cheese is okay...right?

Cheese is definitely ok! :bigsmile: I try to stick to the lower fat cheese and LOVE the Fat free feta cheese! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a while now, but am just coming across this post. I think it's WONDERFUL that you all are talking about and living clean. I didn't know there was an official term for "clean eating" (where have I been...huh? :laugh: ), but it's something I've been trying to do for a while now. Not necessarily everything organic, just natural food. That's what it's all about. That's what our bodies were designed to run on.

Looking forward to continue reading your posts and get more motivation! :flowerforyou:

Welcome and look forward to reading more posts fromo you! I don't do everything organic either, but try to go for the less processed options and really watch for High fructose corn syrup, MSG, and other additives.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Pre-workout:
    Banana (105)

Workout:
    ChaLean Extreme Lean Circuit #1

Breakfast:
    1/2 c. multi grain hot cereal (130)
    1/4 c. Fiber one (30)
    1 T. NM PB (85), 1 T. Flax (30)
    1/4 c. cottage cheese (40) = 375

Have a sick dd home today from school, I'm thinking strep throat. (fever, streaky red throat, etc) :sick: Off to the Dr.'s office soon!
  • cherapple
    Options
    Have a sick dd home today from school, I'm thinking strep throat. (fever, streaky red throat, etc) :sick: Off to the Dr.'s office soon!

Aww, that's no fun! I hope she feels better soon!
  • cherapple
    Options
    I was very happy this morning when the scale told me that both my weight and my bodyfat percentage went down for the second week in a row. Then I did the calculations, and I lost lean body mass! :noway: You would think with all the heavy weights, I'd be putting on some muscle. Maybe I'm not eating enough? A one- or two-week change really doesn't tell you much (and BF scales aren't entirely accurate), but I'm wondering whether I need to eat even more? BFFM has some good suggestions for what to do when you lose LBM, so I'll have to see what the books says, and double check my calorie calculations. This is a problem I'm not used to dealing with! :happy:
  • cherapple
    Options

Welcome, lmr! :flowerforyou: Come back and tell us how things are going for you with clean eating! I'd love to here your success story. :smile:
  • jawaria
    Options
    Hi everyone! How is everyone doing? I have been super sickl and i have been eating junk for the most part since i was too tired to cook! But it's a new start! I have a doctor's appt in about 3 weeks and i'll find out exactly what's wrong with me! so wish me luck and pls continue to inspire me!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I was very happy this morning when the scale told me that both my weight and my bodyfat percentage went down for the second week in a row. Then I did the calculations, and I lost lean body mass! :noway: You would think with all the heavy weights, I'd be putting on some muscle. Maybe I'm not eating enough? A one- or two-week change really doesn't tell you much (and BF scales aren't entirely accurate), but I'm wondering whether I need to eat even more? BFFM has some good suggestions for what to do when you lose LBM, so I'll have to see what the books says, and double check my calorie calculations. This is a problem I'm not used to dealing with! :happy:

It could be that you're not eating enough. But I'm confused that your bf went down too? How can you lose bodyfat AND lean mass? Definitely check your cals and see if you need to up them a bit!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi everyone! How is everyone doing? I have been super sickl and i have been eating junk for the most part since i was too tired to cook! But it's a new start! I have a doctor's appt in about 3 weeks and i'll find out exactly what's wrong with me! so wish me luck and pls continue to inspire me!

Welcome back and good luck getting back on track! You can do it! Hope you get some good news from the Dr. on what could be wrong.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new to clean eating (didn't even know there was a name for it :laugh:) and was recently referred here by jessmomof3, thanks!

I just want to introduce myself. I am 28 and an associate attorney at a law firm. I work a lot and am really busy, so I have the bad habit of scarfing down whatever free food they offer me at work (often pizza, cake, donuts, etc.) or grabbing something on the go. Lately I have realized that I need to eat healthier. I am a runner and I work out consistently -- usually at least 45 minutes a day, 6 days a week. That helps me feel good physically and I would like to apply that same kind of dedication into my diet and make healthy food choices. It's been a struggle to lose the last 7 or so pounds I have to lose, and I aloso know I will feel better if I eat better.

So I just made the decision to eat as healthy as possible and to avoid processed, fatty, fast foods. This will be hard because of my busy lifestyle but I am committed. I'm glad to find a community like this that will inspire and support me! And I hope to contribute too.