Clean Eating Club ~ February 2009

Options

Replies

• neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to realize I am not smart about this clean eating stuff at all. :cry: What about lunchmeat, like sliced turkey breast? I usually eat this for lunch when I have time to make/ bring it -- on 100% whole wheat bread, with one Kraft cheese slice and some toppings like lettuce, tomatos, onion. And fat free ranch dressing.

The lunchmeat in this sandwich is probably processed and full of sodium and not the healthiest thing for me to be eating, right? Same as for the Kraft cheese slice? What is a good alternative? Should I cook real turkey at home and use that for sandwiches? Is there any "convenient"/ fast lunch meat for sandwiches that is healthy to eat?
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    LMR, you had a really healthy day yesterday! That's what I'm aiming for. Keep it up! :smile:

Thanks! It was a good day for me - I felt great. Not everyday is that good, but that's what I'm shooting for. And, I weighed myself this morning and I was down another 2 pounds! I'm so excited and motivated right now...I just hope it keeps up! Here's to us!! :flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm looking at it on Amazon and it says to cut out meat for 8 weeks first. I don't think I could do that -- I love me some chicken!!! Does it mean just red meat?

I couldn't give up meat either but we have incorporated a significant amount of what she says.

My husband who is a carnivore has been amazed at how his diet has changed and it shows on him. He is down 25 lbs. He is satisfied with what he is eating too
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I used to list it every day but I figured since I eat pretty much the same thing I wouldn't list it all out. I don't usually eat a morning snack because it fills me up, it just depends on when I eat breakfast.

My favorite oatmeal:
    1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal (150)
    1/4 c. Fiber One cereal (30) <cook the oatmeal & cereal w/ 1 1/4 c. water in micro for 2 min, make sure it doesn't boil over>
    Add: 1 T. NM PB (85), 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder (60), 1 T. flax (30), 1 T. wheat germ (25),
    1/2 c. cottage cheese (80)

460 cals/ 62g carb/ 18g fiber/ 16g fat/ 32g protein

So yes, a bigger breakfast but it's usually after a workout and it keeps me going all day long! When I don't eat it, I can tell a big difference. I just can't start my day off w/ 200 cals or I'll *bonk*. I tried doing only egg whites and no carbs for breakfast and I passed out! Literally, passed out in my kitchen. :sick: Anyway, it works for me! :bigsmile:

Yes, you've listed it several times. I just never noticed the calorie total before! Wow, never heard of anyone literally passing out from not eating enough, unless they were anorexic. No wonder you make sure to feed yourself well. I think the low carb idea is bad news, especially in the morning. Peanut butter and chocolate - yum. Wow, that's one packed bowl of oatmeal. It gives me some ideas, but I'm always afraid that if I eat too big a breakfast, I won't have enough calories left later in the day, when I'm usually the most hungry. So I try to spread my meals out pretty evenly.

I think I'm going to stop trying to be a perfect clean eater -- or a perfect anything, for the matter (perfectly lean, perfectly strong, etc.) -- and just eat when I'm hungry, as long as it's good food in reasonable amounts!

You say that eating low carb, especially in the morning is bad news????

You obviously know nothing about low carb lifestyle...............

On a low carb board I belong to, we have a clean eating club over there and much of what everyone here is eating, we are eating over there too..............

Clean eating (mostly coming from natual, unprocessed sources) is pretty low carb..............
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Wow, great to see so many posts today!

I'll repost my day so far...

Pre-run:
    Mela Access bar (110)

Workout:
    4 mile run, 600 yd swim

Post-workout:
    Banana (105)

Late breakfast:
    1/2 c. multi grain hot cereal (130)
    1/4 c. Fiber one (30)
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder (60)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    Fuji apple (80) = 465

Lunch:
    Fage 2% yogurt (130)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/2 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (140) = 355

Snack:
    Not sure yet

Dinner:
    Leftover chicken stir fry (grilled chicken, brown rice, and lots of stir fry veggies)
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I used to list it every day but I figured since I eat pretty much the same thing I wouldn't list it all out. I don't usually eat a morning snack because it fills me up, it just depends on when I eat breakfast.

My favorite oatmeal:
    1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal (150)
    1/4 c. Fiber One cereal (30) <cook the oatmeal & cereal w/ 1 1/4 c. water in micro for 2 min, make sure it doesn't boil over>
    Add: 1 T. NM PB (85), 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder (60), 1 T. flax (30), 1 T. wheat germ (25),

460 cals/ 62g carb/ 18g fiber/ 16g fat/ 32g protein

So yes, a bigger breakfast but it's usually after a workout and it keeps me going all day long! When I don't eat it, I can tell a big difference. I just can't start my day off w/ 200 cals or I'll *bonk*. I tried doing only egg whites and no carbs for breakfast and I passed out! Literally, passed out in my kitchen. :sick: Anyway, it works for me! :bigsmile:

Yes, you've listed it several times. I just never noticed the calorie total before! Wow, never heard of anyone literally passing out from not eating enough, unless they were anorexic. No wonder you make sure to feed yourself well. I think the low carb idea is bad news, especially in the morning. Peanut butter and chocolate - yum. Wow, that's one packed bowl of oatmeal. It gives me some ideas, but I'm always afraid that if I eat too big a breakfast, I won't have enough calories left later in the day, when I'm usually the most hungry. So I try to spread my meals out pretty evenly.

I think I'm going to stop trying to be a perfect clean eater -- or a perfect anything, for the matter (perfectly lean, perfectly strong, etc.) -- and just eat when I'm hungry, as long as it's good food in reasonable amounts!

On a low carb board I belong to, we have a clean eating club over there and much of what everyone here is eating, we are eating over there too..............

Clean eating (mostly coming from natual, unprocessed sources) is pretty low carb..............
    I believe that I said for ME, low-carb first thing in the morning is bad news. I will pass out. To each their own. I do think clean eating is lower carb than the typical American diet because it limits the white flours & sugars. If you can start your day out with only egg whites and feel great, then good for you! :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    LMR, you had a really healthy day yesterday! That's what I'm aiming for. Keep it up! :smile:

Thanks! It was a good day for me - I felt great. Not everyday is that good, but that's what I'm shooting for. And, I weighed myself this morning and I was down another 2 pounds! I'm so excited and motivated right now...I just hope it keeps up! Here's to us!! :flowerforyou:

Great! Good for you! Feeling great is definitely the goal! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm beginning to realize I am not smart about this clean eating stuff at all. :cry: What about lunchmeat, like sliced turkey breast? I usually eat this for lunch when I have time to make/ bring it -- on 100% whole wheat bread, with one Kraft cheese slice and some toppings like lettuce, tomatos, onion. And fat free ranch dressing.

The lunchmeat in this sandwich is probably processed and full of sodium and not the healthiest thing for me to be eating, right? Same as for the Kraft cheese slice? What is a good alternative? Should I cook real turkey at home and use that for sandwiches? Is there any "convenient"/ fast lunch meat for sandwiches that is healthy to eat?

I do eat lunchmeat on occasion, it is higher in sodium. I'm sure it would be better to cook your own turkey and chicken for sandwiches. Also, I like the tuna packed in water for a sandwich. I use a little balsamic instead of mayo (just because I hate mayo!) and some boiled egg whites. Yummy!
    I also stay away from bottled salad dressing, but most of it has HFCS or MSG which I avoid. It's all in finding what works for you, don't feel like you must have every meal *perfect*. Just make better choices when you can!
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Thanks jess. I use a light vinagrette salad dressing that has no artificial preservatives. So that with tuna is a great idea for lunch sandwiches. Also chicken and turkey when I have time to make them! :smile:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Thanks jess. I use a light vinagrette salad dressing that has no artificial preservatives. So that with tuna is a great idea for lunch sandwiches. Also chicken and turkey when I have time to make them! :smile:

I use EVOO and basalmic vinagrette for salad dressing - even my 4-year old loves this.

I also avoid processed lunch meat. I usually make stews in the crockpot and freeze in batches to bring to work. If you want "clean" lunch meat - you can bake a whole organic chicken or turkey on the weekend, slice and freeze some and put some in baggies to use for the week. (Then keep the bird carcass to make broth in the crockpot.)
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Wow Molly that sounds like a lot of work... I will have to get better at cooking, and find the time to make the turkey and chicken. I also have to buy a crockpot! It really sounds daunting to me... I work a lot and I have been so proud to squeeze in workouts almost every day... I don't know what I'll take out to fit in cooking healthy foods. But my diet has become a priority too so I will just have to find a way to do it. I guess part of my problem is that I'm so busy I have just been grabbing whatever, and now I have to stop and pay more attention and prepare.

What is EVOO?
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch meat, too, although I realize it's not the best. I eat mostly turkey because it's leaner, and I look for brands without added sugar. I love the idea of cooking a whole bird in the crock pot and putting it in baggies for later, though! :smile:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options

I don't know what the recommendations are for low-carb diets, but for clean eating the ratios are generally 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. I don't consider 50% to be low. Carbs are important for energy and brain function. Clean eating is more about the types of carbs that are best to eat, but it's definitely recommended that you get plenty of them. Periods of low-carb eating are used for the short term (two weeks at a time) -- for example, for someone who is preparing for a body building competition -- but it is recognized as not healthy for the long term. After a competition, even body builders return to their regular diet of higher carbs. Personally, I have no desire to eat like a body builder going into competition. I'll stick with my 50% (or more) carb ratios. :happy:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Pre-workout:
    Banana (105)
    1/2 c. Kashi GoLean (70) = 175

Then made 4 dozen cupcakes (not clean eating!) for my dd's school party. (no licking the batter either! :wink: )

Breakfast:
    1/2 c. multi grain hot cereal (130)
    1/4 c. Fiber one (30)
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder (60)
    1 T. NM PB (85), 1 T. flax (30)
    1/2 c. cottage cheese (80) = 415
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I eat lunch meat, too, although I realize it's not the best. I eat mostly turkey because it's leaner, and I look for brands without added sugar. I love the idea of cooking a whole bird in the crock pot and putting it in baggies for later, though! :smile:

Yeah, I do the same thing. I like the turkey breast or chicken breast. :bigsmile:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Okay, good to see I'm not the only one eating turkey lunchmeat. But I do look forward to trying the real thing... last night I asked my boyfriend to help me roast a turkey this weekend. (HE is the cook in our relationship LOL).

jess, that's some willpower not to lick the cupcake batter!!! I would have crumbled.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Okay, good to see I'm not the only one eating turkey lunchmeat. But I do look forward to trying the real thing... last night I asked my boyfriend to help me roast a turkey this weekend. (HE is the cook in our relationship LOL).

jess, that's some willpower not to lick the cupcake batter!!! I would have crumbled.

I love leftover turkey sandwiches!! Good idea, I might make one soon also!

I know, I have to say no to licking batter or little tastes, it's so easy to do and then pay for it later! Usually when my kiddos are home they are happy to help out w/ the batter! :wink:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    I don't have kids but my boyfriend is good at that ha ha, also my dogs like to lick up anything that falls on the floor... they're great vacuum cleaners. ;)
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Lunch:
    4oz chicken breast (cooked w/ some garlic- 120)
    2 cups spinach (40)
    Broccoli & cauliflower (75)
    1/2 c. cottage cheese (80) = 315

Snack:
    1 c. NF yogurt (140)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/4 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (70)
    1/4 c. Kashi GoLean Crunch! (48)
    Fuji Apple (80) = 423
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Wow Molly that sounds like a lot of work... I will have to get better at cooking, and find the time to make the turkey and chicken. I also have to buy a crockpot! It really sounds daunting to me... I work a lot and I have been so proud to squeeze in workouts almost every day... I don't know what I'll take out to fit in cooking healthy foods. But my diet has become a priority too so I will just have to find a way to do it. I guess part of my problem is that I'm so busy I have just been grabbing whatever, and now I have to stop and pay more attention and prepare.

What is EVOO?

EVOO is extra virgin olive oil - it's just easier to use acronyms than to spell it out all the time, lol.

The crockpot is the BEST timesaver - EVER, hands down! Take from me as a FT working mother of three kiddos (4 if you count hubby). CP are not expensive - I got mine from costco for $40 and it is NICE. You can find them at thrift stores for cheaper. The best thing is you can throw just about anything in there, make your own soups, stews - whatever - and you have total control over sodium, etc. The night before I'll throw in a bunch of stuff, start it before leaving for work, and ta-da - dinner is ready when we get home.

As for baking turkey/chicken - just cover it with EVOO and aluminum foil, bake 20 minutes per pound on the weekend and you will have enough meat for lunches and soups for a long time. I do this maybe once a month. After you rip off the meat you want - put the carcass in the CP, fill with water and crock it for 6-8 hours, strain the water and toss the carcass, and pour the broth into a plastic baggie and let it sit for 10 minutes. You should see the fat rise to the top. Snip the bottom corner of the bag and drain the broth into a container, stopping when you get to the fat layer - toss the fat and you have your broth. You can put it back in the crockpot and make soup or freeze it for later use.