Clean Eating Club ~ February 2009

Options

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    The crockpot is the BEST timesaver - EVER, hands down! Take from me as a FT working mother of three kiddos (4 if you count hubby). CP are not expensive - I got mine from costco for $40 and it is NICE. You can find them at thrift stores for cheaper. The best thing is you can throw just about anything in there, make your own soups, stews - whatever - and you have total control over sodium, etc. The night before I'll throw in a bunch of stuff, start it before leaving for work, and ta-da - dinner is ready when we get home.

As for baking turkey/chicken - just cover it with EVOO and aluminum foil, bake 20 minutes per pound on the weekend and you will have enough meat for lunches and soups for a long time. I do this maybe once a month. After you rip off the meat you want - put the carcass in the CP, fill with water and crock it for 6-8 hours, strain the water and toss the carcass, and pour the broth into a plastic baggie and let it sit for 10 minutes. You should see the fat rise to the top. Snip the bottom corner of the bag and drain the broth into a container, stopping when you get to the fat layer - toss the fat and you have your broth. You can put it back in the crockpot and make soup or freeze it for later use.

I love the CP too! I do a lot of recipes in there. I use the oven bags for cooking turkey/ chicken. I tend to forget to make turkeys except around holidays! :ohwell: Thanks for the reminder!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Dinner:
    Joseph's Flax and Oatbran pita (60)
    1/4 c. FF refried beans (55)
    2 oz chicken breast (60)
    1/4 c. FF cheddar (45)
    1 T. guacamole dip (45) <I put all of the toppings on the pita and toasted it in a pan sprayed w/ Pam kind of like an open faced quesadilla- YUMMY!>
    1/2 c. cooked brown rice (75) = 345

Snack later:
    SF hot cocoa = 139

Total: 1,812 (73 cals left according to my settings - my workout for the day)
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Molly K thanks for the crockpot tips and now I know what EVOO means ha ha. :laugh:

I have been doing really well at eating healthy. Last night I went to play poker with my friends like I do most Wednesday nights, but I skipped the customary beer and chips. I didn't even feel interested.

I've also been keeping up my strength training schedule and finally able to squeeze in some runs -- it always seems like I can fit in strength or cardio but not both! So I am working to fit both in and I actually lost a pound. Funny enough, I don't care so much about the number anymore because I really feel like the weight will take care of itself and come off, if I continue being healthy. I just feel so much better and lighter that I think, how could I not lose weight?!
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I actually lost a pound. Funny enough, I don't care so much about the number anymore because I really feel like the weight will take care of itself and come off, if I continue being healthy. I just feel so much better and lighter that I think, how could I not lose weight?!

YES!!! You got it :flowerforyou: -- that's exactly how I feel!

... Well, most days.... Today I feel like crap. :sick: :laugh: I got maybe three hours of sleep last night. Woke up with a terrible sore throat and then couldn't get back to sleep. Needless to say, diet and exercise are out the window! I'm eating whatever and whenever because I'm too tired and yucky feeling to care. :ohwell: What I most need right now is sleep. :yawn: :smile:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've been eating "healthier" for a long while, but I recently read Tom Venuto's "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle," and he makes such good arguments.

So I'm stepping things up a notch and slowly phasing most processed stuff out of my diet.

Is cottage cheese considered a clean food? 'Cuz I don't care how unclean it is, it stays!

BREAKFAST:
    - 1/2 c oats (150)
    - 1/2 c cottage cheese (100)
    - 1/2 fuji apple (55)
    - Green tea (0)
    Total: 305
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm here! I went to the Y for my run this morning and then ran errands! But... I knew that I was going to be gone, so I made my oatmeal ahead of time and put it in a thermos! :bigsmile: I feel like a genius now! :wink:

Pre-run:
    Banana (105)
    Mela Access bar (110) = 215

Workout:
    4 mile tempo run

Breakfast:
    1/2 c. multi grain hot cereal (130)
    1/4 c. Fiber one (30)
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder (60)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/4 c. cottage cheese (40) = 345

Lunch:
    Fage 2% Total Greek yogurt (130)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/2 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola cereal (140)
    1/2 c. dark pitted cherries (100) = 455

Gotta plan something for dinner!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I've been eating "healthier" for a long while, but I recently read Tom Venuto's "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle," and he makes such good arguments.

So I'm stepping things up a notch and slowly phasing most processed stuff out of my diet.

Is cottage cheese considered a clean food? 'Cuz I don't care how unclean it is, it stays!

BREAKFAST:
    - 1/2 c oats (150)
    - 1/2 c cottage cheese (100)
    - 1/2 fuji apple (55)
    - Green tea (0)
    Total: 305

Welcome!! I consider cottage cheese a clean food, so you're in good company here! :bigsmile: Cheryl here is doing BFFM also, I really would love to read it but don't have a printer so I haven't downloaded it. I've read a lot about it though! I'm also addicted to Fuji apples!!! :bigsmile:
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    Ah! I'll have to talk with her about it. It's weird eating 5 meals a day instead of 3 meals + 2 snacks. I feel like I'm eating soo much, even when I'm not!

DEJEUNER:
    - 4 oz roasted turkey breast (120)
    - 1/2 fuji apple (55)
    - 1.5 c steamed broccoli (45)
    Total: 220
  • cherapple
    Options
    Ah! I'll have to talk with her about it. It's weird eating 5 meals a day instead of 3 meals + 2 snacks. I feel like I'm eating soo much, even when I'm not!

Yes, cottage cheese is a clean food, if it's non-fat or low fat (I like a little fat), because it's a great source of protein. I prefer the low salt version, if I can ever find it again. I found it once at an area grocery store and have never seen it since. :ohwell:

I love BFFM! It's so full of information. I don't feel like I'm eating too much at all, even after upping my calories several times. I finally feel like I know what I'm doing in regards to the amount of calories I need, and I'm happy to be eating so much and to have the go ahead to basically eat any time I'm hungry. No more feeling like I "have to wait for mealtime" to eat. It's almost always mealtime! :bigsmile: I stay in much better spirits that way. No more hungry grouch, LOL. I'll never go back to three meals a day. Over time, you will see that it won't make you gain weight and eating so often will come to feel like second nature.

Jess, I printed my copy of BFFM for $15 through the copy service that my office uses. (It was about half the price of Office Max.) I think you can find free downloads of the book online, too, although I paid for mine, and wouldn't feel right not doing so. I want to support everything Tom Venuto does. His book is definitely worth its price.

We can talk about it more, Phoenixflame, when I'm feeling better and I'm more awake. :yawn: :sick: :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Snack:
    Fuji Apple (80)
    1 slice whole wheat bread (90)
    1 T. Maranatha crunchy almond butter (95) <ok, never tried almond butter before and it is GOOD!!!! :love: )
    Hard boiled egg (70) = 335

Dinner:
    Joseph's Flax & Oatbran Pita (60)
    Laughing Cow Light cheese (35)
    Canadian bacon (60)
    1/2 c. NF yogurt (70)
    1/2 c. dark pitted cherries (100) = 325

Snack:
    SF hot cocoa (139)
    1 T. almond butter (95) = 234

Total: 1,909 (burned 439 on my run this morning according to my HRM)
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Jess, I printed my copy of BFFM for $15 through the copy service that my office uses. (It was about half the price of Office Max.) I think you can find free downloads of the book online, too, although I paid for mine, and wouldn't feel right not doing so. I want to support everything Tom Venuto does. His book is definitely worth its price.

Yeah, I have seen that you can get it printed off at Kinko's or other places and I would definitely pay for the book first! I hope you feel better soon!

Jess
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    We can talk about it more, Phoenixflame, when I'm feeling better and I'm more awake.

Yes, definitely! I have a few questions. When you're a wee bit more awake, can you answer this for me:

- Do you evenly divide your calories, or front-load and taper?
    - Do you eat your once a week cheat meal that he recommends?

Oh, forgot to mention my lunch!

LUNCH:
    - 1 c yellow squash and zucchini (33)
    - .3 c brown and wild rice mix (90)
    - 3 oz lamb (173)
    Total: (296)
  • cherapple
    Options
    I need to come up with a plan for when I get sick. My inner logic is always that I already feel awful, so I may as well eat awful, too (and once again I've been eating stuff I wouldn't normally even think to put in my mouth :embarassed: ). :grumble: Does anyone have any suggestions for finding the energy to keep it healthy when you're sick? Next time I want to be prepared for this so that I don't set myself back a week or a month! :huh:
  • cherapple
    Options
    It only takes a day or two before I'm craving the healthy foods again. I really don't crave the junk anymore, but eat it mostly when I'm tired or stressed. I am still tired today, but I'm going on about six hours of sleep, rather than three! I'm getting back to my routine, minus the exercise. :ohwell: Hopefully I'll feel good enough to have a couple of really strong workouts this weekend.

On a positive note, my 9yo daughter told me I'm "skinny" last night after I lifted my shirt and exposed my abs (not on purpose, lol), and she said, "Don't lose anymore weight. You look good like you are." :smile: :flowerforyou: Very sweet. :happy: But she won't want to hear that I'm trying to put on more muscle, either, because she thinks that's gross. :laugh:

I hope everyone has a good day!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    It only takes a day or two before I'm craving the healthy foods again. I really don't crave the junk anymore, but eat it mostly when I'm tired or stressed. I am still tired today, but I'm going on about six hours of sleep, rather than three! I'm getting back to my routine, minus the exercise. :ohwell: Hopefully I'll feel good enough to have a couple of really strong workouts this weekend.

On a positive note, my 9yo daughter told me I'm "skinny" last night after I lifted my shirt and exposed my abs (not on purpose, lol), and she said, "Don't lose anymore weight. You look good like you are." :smile: :flowerforyou: Very sweet. :happy: But she won't want to hear that I'm trying to put on more muscle, either, because she thinks that's gross. :laugh:

I hope everyone has a good day!

I'm glad that you're feeling better, Cheryl! As you can tell with me, I'm kind of an OCD type person, so I don't like to deviate from schedule. :laugh: Being sick makes it harder, I might eat something like canned soup or something higher in sodium, but I don't let it derail me. Thankfully I don't get sick often!!

YEAH for the comment from your dd. Very cute! My kiddos think muscle is awesome, they love having a strong Mom and do pushups and pullups with my dh & I. :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    OK, I am tired today!!! I was completely wiped out by 9PM last night. I slept great but still feeling a little tired this morning. My muscles are sore so I'm just going to get through my workout this morning and taking my rest day tomorrow! (it's been a little while since I've taken a day off!).

Pre-workout:
    Banana (105)

Workout:
    ChaLean Extreme Lean Circuit #3
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Cherapple, that's great that your daughter said you're skinny. :smile: How cute.

I have surprised myself lately by looking in the mirror and thinking, "you're skinny." I never used to do that. I also *feel* skinny... like when I'm driving in my car and I rest my arms near my rib cage, I'm like, woah, is this me?!

I'm not trying to brag, I have a long way to go, but it is just a rare sensation for me to feel this way. I always used to feel fat/bloated/discouraged. I think that the combination of my circuit training and my healthy eating is totally re-shaping me. The weird thing is, from running more than usual, my calves look *bigger* to me... it is harder to zip up my boots and I look down and think, "woah, big calves." I really don't want to get them too big but that just seems to be happening... at least they're the only things getting bigger. :laugh:

Last night I met some friends for dinner and we shared bruschetta and then I ate chili salmon, rice patty, and snow peas. I think I did pretty good but it's hard to know how many calories are in things made at a restaurant. I also ordered two glasses of white wine which is rare for me lately but I thought I deserved a splurge...
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Cherapple, that's great that your daughter said you're skinny. :smile: How cute.

I have surprised myself lately by looking in the mirror and thinking, "you're skinny." I never used to do that. I also *feel* skinny... like when I'm driving in my car and I rest my arms near my rib cage, I'm like, woah, is this me?!

I'm not trying to brag, I have a long way to go, but it is just a rare sensation for me to feel this way. I always used to feel fat/bloated/discouraged. I think that the combination of my circuit training and my healthy eating is totally re-shaping me. The weird thing is, from running more than usual, my calves look *bigger* to me... it is harder to zip up my boots and I look down and think, "woah, big calves." I really don't want to get them too big but that just seems to be happening... at least they're the only things getting bigger. :laugh:

Last night I met some friends for dinner and we shared bruschetta and then I ate chili salmon, rice patty, and snow peas. I think I did pretty good but it's hard to know how many calories are in things made at a restaurant. I also ordered two glasses of white wine which is rare for me lately but I thought I deserved a splurge...

That is so great!! That has been my struggle too. To really *see* myself as other people see me. I guess losing 70# it took me a long time to see myself as thin. I used to go shopping and grab clothes to try on in a bigger size thinking they wouldn't fit and they wouldn't... but because they were way too big! :laugh:

It's hard going out to eat. I always check chain restaurants for their nutritional info, but it varies from each location also! We don't eat out too often though, expensive w/ a family of 5!! :grumble:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Workout done!

Breakfast:
    1/2 c. multi grain hot cereal (130)
    1/4 c. Fiber one (30)
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder (60)
    1 T. NM PB (85) , 1 T. flax (30)
    1/4 c. cottage cheese (40) = 375
  • frankmmafreak
    frankmmafreak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cherapple and Phoenixflame,
    I also am an avid Tom Venuto fan. I bought BFFM about 4 years ago. I recently wiped the dust off the harddrive where it is stored and read it again (and again). Tom's info is really awesome, and every time I read BFFM I walk away feeling motivated.

The thing I was wondering about: I have only eaten meals 1 and 2 today and I only have 3 grams of fat left for the rest of the day. Now, I could understand if I had bacon and fried eggs for breakfast and fried pork chops for meal 2, but I didn't. I was wondering if I could list meals 1 and 2 to see if you guys see anything wrong with them.
    Meal 1) 3/4 cup oatmeal; 1 egg and 2 egg whites; 1 whole wheat toast; and 1 T. peanut butter.

Meal 2) Homemade protein bar; Fruit (18 grapes, 1 large strawberry), 2 water crackers.

I really didn't think I was doing bad, but maybe there's something I'm not seeing.