I don't understand! 1200 calories a day and gaining weight!

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Any tips? Advice? I do exercise too!

HELP!

Yes, read this study: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199212313272701

To save you a little time here is the conclusion: "The failure of some obese subjects to lose weight while eating a diet they report as low in calories is due to an energy intake substantially higher than reported and an overestimation of physical activity, not to an abnormality in thermogenesis. (N Engl J Med 1992; 327:1893–8.)"

^^^^^ Is the reason for most weight loss plateaus or difficulty in losing weight, obese or not. Most people (I include myself) are simply woeful at accurately estimating calories consumed by eyeballing portions or estimating it in their heads.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

It took you a year to lose 29 lbs! I am not saying it's impossible to lose weight after eating a daily banana but results will be impeded. Ok, I see gang up on the new guy....nice!

Just want to say what is wrong with losing 29 pounds in a year? A lot of people sit around on their fat arses and do NOTHING for a year, or GAIN 29 lbs or 50 lbs or more in a year. That is more than 1/2 pound a week loss and it is VERY GOOD.

Just the fact that someone is still working a program for a year is FANTASTIC! How many of you people have lost quickly and then gained it all back? How many times?

29 lbs. in a year is an excellent accomplishment and this is the way to long term success.

Think, people, think.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me so happy :)

So that ISN'T a banana in your pocket???

:blushing: I was wondering if you'd notice :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    sleep 6-7 hours per day or less

WTF? This is really, really stupid advice. No offense.

why? it's no secret that your body burns more when awake and vertical than when sleeping. Who NEEDS more than 6-7 hours of sleep? What's the harm in increasing your BMR by 100-300 calories simply by waking earlier and starting your day? Further, why say no offense after using a word like "Stupid" All my advice is what I do and I am having great results with very little effort. So if doesn't work for you, don't do it. There's no reason to slam other people's suggestions especially if you have not tried it yourself. Just move along without dropping your negative judgmental opinion. Thank you.

Actually, the less sleep you get, the more cortisol your body makes. Therefore, you're hungrier, eat more and store visceral fat.
  • rml_16
    Options
    This thread makes me so happy :)

So that ISN'T a banana in your pocket???

:blushing: I was wondering if you'd notice :)

Always, snookums.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

It took you a year to lose 29 lbs! I am not saying it's impossible to lose weight after eating a daily banana but results will be impeded. Ok, I see gang up on the new guy....nice!

Just want to say what is wrong with losing 29 pounds in a year? A lot of people sit around on their fat arses and do NOTHING for a year, or GAIN 29 lbs or 50 lbs or more in a year. That is more than 1/2 pound a week loss and it is VERY GOOD.

Just the fact that someone is still working a program for a year is FANTASTIC! How many of you people have lost quickly and then gained it all back? How many times?

29 lbs. in a year is an excellent accomplishment and this is the way to long term success.

Think, people, think.

Thank you! It didn't actually take me a year. I joined MFP a year ago but I didn't really start using the site until the end of July. Regardless, the bananas didn't slow me down. :laugh:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

Think, people, think.

Thank you! It didn't actually take me a year. I joined MFP a year ago but I didn't really start using the site until the end of July. Regardless, the bananas didn't slow me down. :laugh:

props to you! You are doing it right, friend!!

BTW -- I have a banana tree in my yard that yields bunches of 100 at a time. I eat at least 1 every day, use them in everything and I'm not dead or fat yet . . .
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    sleep 6-7 hours per day or less

WTF? This is really, really stupid advice. No offense.

why? it's no secret that your body burns more when awake and vertical than when sleeping. Who NEEDS more than 6-7 hours of sleep? What's the harm in increasing your BMR by 100-300 calories simply by waking earlier and starting your day? Further, why say no offense after using a word like "Stupid" All my advice is what I do and I am having great results with very little effort. So if doesn't work for you, don't do it. There's no reason to slam other people's suggestions especially if you have not tried it yourself. Just move along without dropping your negative judgmental opinion. Thank you.
    I wouldn't say it's stupid at all. I would call it bro-science. :drinker:
  • vittix
    vittix Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing 1200 cals for about 5 months, i lose 1-2 1/2 lbs a week. I have issues with my hip and heel so doing lots of walking is just not in the cards for me. Im gona tell you the same thing alot of others have its what you eat that matters most. Lots of water and less bad carbs. Good luck :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Eat better food, and eat more of it. I upped my intake from 1200 to 1500 and kept doing the same exercises, and the weight is dropping off like it did when I first started, now. It seems to work for a lot of people, so it's worth a shot.

^^^
    THIS! I exercise 6 days/week and have started losing more since I upped my calorie intake. Mind you, those extra calories are what I call "quality calories," ie, I am not eating potato chips or some other crappy food to fill the gap. I might have a serving of nuts for 140 calories and an 8-oz glass of 1% milk for 100 calories.

Best wishes!
  • Jmayhem69
    Options
    "bro-science" a new term seen only on MFP most often applied to any advice that differs from a poster's opinion if the differing opinion comes from someone other than a Doctor. Please note, many Doctors are "Bros" and/or "Scientists"
    I'm done with this site besides logging my own intake. Like my Dad said, "We all got one. Just like opinions!" or sumthin like that.

BTW, I never said bananas make you fat or will kill you~ ! sheesh, fly off the richter much?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    "bro-science" a new term seen only on MFP most often applied to any advice that differs from a poster's opinion if the differing opinion comes from someone other than a Doctor. Please note, many Doctors are "Bros" and/or "Scientists"
    I'm done with this site besides logging my own intake. Like my Dad said, "We all got one. Just like opinions!" or sumthin like that.

BTW, I never said bananas make you fat or will kill you~ ! sheesh, fly off the richter much?

Why don't you post some of the studies you have seen to back your claim? I have done this several times and it tends to shut people up quickly.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Actually you said bananas will "impede" your progress. As far as bro-science? This is not an MFP term, bro.

Per the Urban Dictionary:
    Broscience
    Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.

And yes, please do post links to the research showing me that your bro-science isn't so 'bro'-ish. Although if you're done except for logging, I thank you in advance for stopping the propagation of bad information.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Holy smokes! It's really not that hard.. just log your damn food, get some excersize, and be mindful of the deficit. We ain't building rocket ships here..

Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Ha I needed this thread =)

I have lost 24lbs since January (yup almost a year but I started at 138 and am now 114) I didnt discover MFP until July so really not a year! I eat bananas EVERY day.......guess they didnt make me fat!
  • rml_16
    Options

Actually you said bananas will "impede" your progress. As far as bro-science? This is not an MFP term, bro.

Per the Urban Dictionary:
    Broscience
    Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.

And yes, please do post links to the research showing me that your bro-science isn't so 'bro'-ish. Although if you're done except for logging, I thank you in advance for stopping the propagation of bad information.

I believe he said bananas are "the worst possible thing you can eat" when trying to lose weight.

Those pesky bananas ...
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Stop eating fruit, carbs, sugar, fructose, fat, fiber, white foods, starches, green foods, artificial flavors, artificial coloring, artificial sweeteners, GMOs, brown foods, vegetables, red foods, protein, and labeled "fat free" or "all natural" and you'll be fine. Oh, and eggs. NEVER EAT EGGS!!!!

I have a old pair of leather shoes you can chew on. Not much else left from the list!

lol. :drinker:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    What I learned from 5 pages of this thread:

Stock in Banana is not likely to drop anytime soon.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    What I learned from 5 pages of this thread:

Stock in Banana is not likely to drop anytime soon.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Sorry - didn't notice how long this thread already was!