Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Don't mind it - don't mind being called wifey... don't really mind any of the terms my husband uses when they are used in affection. I've heard witchy women snarl "Sweetie, Honey, Jim, John" and other given names.... and I think it all has to do with the tone, not the word. As far as I'm concerned, he can refer to me as Funny Pants Freckle Face as long as he says it with a smile and *that* look in his eye.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    omg i HATE the word hubby, hate it!!!! I feel like a douche if I say it and it is kinda condescending imho. Or hubs. "The Hubs" = me wanting to punch you.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    But either way, I find "hubby" to be a touch condescending as a man. I have a feeling most women would feel the same way if all of them were referred to as "wifey" in each instance.

Agreed!!
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    That has always drove me nuts and I don't know why! I hate the word "Hubby"
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My husband is my husband. He really would NOT like being called a "hubby" and I don't think it would apply to him anyway. If he called me "wifey" I would fall out of my chair, it would be so out of character for him.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I use the term hubby quite a bit. i dont mean anything by it . Me and my husband have been married almost 21 yrs together 25 yrs so I guess it hasnt hurt our relationship.I didnt realize that it really mattered to others what I call my husband as long as he is ok with what I call him, but maybe now I will be more mindful of it.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything I care less about right now that how other people are referring to their spouses. I've got bigger *kitten* on my mind; like how can I get a better parking spot at work.

Now that's funny:)
  • lauradupree
    Options
    I loved this
    I live in the UK - specifically Wales. In Wales, they shorten every name. So, if your name is Caroline - you get called Ca, David is Dai, Andrew is And, Julia is Ju etc.,

As a wife I am known as; The other Half (OH), The Wife, Wifey, Her Indoors, The Mrs and rather affectionately Woman. In conversation my husband calls me by my name - he's tried calling me by other women's names but really, that just doesn't work for me!

As a husband, I call him; By his name or refer about him in conversation as my husband. However, on forums he may get called hubster, hubby or OH.

All done with the affection and understanding and the formation of idiosyncratic ways of being together for 30 years.

Oh, We are kindred spirits.

I have been married nearly twenty-two years. I give my friends and family nicknames which are generally shortened versions of their given names because I love them. I am a sixth generation Californian on my father's side, and his mom was Canadian. Perhaps, it is not only the Welsh who shorten names. By the way, my husband calls me his "wiff" which is considered an endearing term. But to those we don't know well, we properly introduce one another by saying, "I would like to introduce you to my husband/wife, Mike..."

At any rate, it had not occurred to me that it might be offensive as it had never been voiced as a put-down. .
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I only ever viewed it (and heard it) as a term of endearment when i was married or when I've heard my female friends refer to their spouse. It's just a word. There are worse things that a person can be called. I don't see the big deal.

I agree!!!!
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Dont you have anything better to complain about? I will call my HUBBY whatever the hell I want!

THIS IS THE INTERWEBS !

The virtual complaint box for the entire world !

Letting people complain about trivial things since... when did Al Gore invent this thing?

Someone should slap him.

^^I agree with you both!
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hm. I don't like that word just because it sounds ugly. It just doesn't roll off the tongue with grace.

At the same time, I don't think "husband" rolls off the tongue with grace either...

I have to say though, anything is better than "babe". I cringe when people call each other "babe".
    Babe is the pig in the city, not your lovely significant other.
    babe.jpg
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I dislike the name Bob as a shortened form of Robert. Therefore from now on anyone who knows anyone named Robert may refer to them as Rob or Robert. Since I also dislike adding a 'y' on the end of a shortened name Robby and Bobby are also out. However, Hubby is OK since it's not the person's name.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I dislike the name Bob as a shortened form of Robert. Therefore from now on anyone who knows anyone named Robert may refer to them as Rob or Robert. Since I also dislike adding a 'y' on the end of a shortened name Robby and Bobby are also out. However, Hubby is OK since it's not the person's name.

What about bobbie or robbie? I always spell hubbie with the "ie" not the "y", I believe it shows a level of sophistication otherwise missing...
  • kvf323
    kvf323 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I always swore i would never use the word "hubby" but then i got married and i have used it lol. although when talking to other people and talking about my husband, for the most part, i call him husband or "the man"
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    All right Jacksie... we won't call you hubby :-p
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    Hubby! Hubby!! HUBBY HUBBY HUBBY!!! lol

You know what? Its just easier to type out hubby than husband. Or the Hubs...but I try to avoid that one if I can. lol
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    It's even more annoying when they're not even married but yet the woman still refers to her boyfriend as "hubby". I call it being "Puerto Ricanly married". I'm Hispanic and of Puerto Rican heritage so i can say that ;)
  • ProudArmyWifey8
    Options
    Husband sounds so serious. Hubby is in a cute short way Who gives a crap...marriage is between 2 ppl so if i wanna call my husband hubby who gives a shi* :)))
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    First world problem. :-)
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Hubby, hubs, hubster, hubbykins, love, lovey, loveykins, shmoopsiepoo, wifey, wifeykins, honey, baby, and babe are foremost amongst others in our household.

We love having pet names for each other. :drinker: