Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• neutralize
    neutralize Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    "DH" Is more annoying and silly than hubby to me. And all the lame, desperate, "d" acronyms....like fingernails on a chalkboard. Just use real words, it's not all that difficult.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Dont you have anything better to complain about? I will call my HUBBY whatever the hell I want!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Dont you have anything better to complain about? I will call my HUBBY whatever the hell I want!

THIS IS THE INTERWEBS !

The virtual complaint box for the entire world !

Letting people complain about trivial things since... when did Al Gore invent this thing?

Someone should slap him.
  • DayumStraightIAmEllie
    DayumStraightIAmEllie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Lol my boyfriend and i were just talking about this the other day. I HATE!! when people say hubby. I said its just as dumb as guys saying wifey. Which nobody says. I feel the same way.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I have never used that term
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    For us, it's either "my husband" or "my wife" with the occasional "ol' lady" or "ol' man" thrown in. I don't care for "hubs" and especially don't like when women call their boyfriends "hubby" or refer to them as a spouse.

I usually address my husband as either "mi rey" (my king) or "baby." He calls me "little chon," which is a diminuative of corazon (Spanish for heart). :smile:
  • mandi_2007_b
    Options
    In public he's my husband, close friends or family he's Hubby. To him in any situation I'm "the old lady", I don't mind, doesn't bother me at all. Why u ask...well we've been married for 12yrs (since we was 18) and well as long as I love him and he I, I don't care what he calls me as long as its not bad words (we r both Christians) :-). But everybody dislikes words one way or another, i dislike "tits, wetness, creds, etc"
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    "Hubby" doesn't bother me, but maybe that's because I'm not a husband. What I don't like to hear is "my old man" or "my old lady." For some reason, that's pretty common in my area. I refer to my husband as "my husband," and he refers to me as "my wife" or "my honey bunny," which I think is sweet.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I say husband. Just because I prefer to speak properly. I'm not a big abbreviator. But to use "hubby" is not an insult.

Besides what I call my dear husband should be of no concern to you. Are you one of those men whose issue is the fictional demasculinization of men?
  • musicmom81
    musicmom81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow what a hot topic! Here's my unpopular opinion that no one asked for :) It sounds like your wife should not call you hubby. As for the rest of the world, it's up to them!

Quick cute story, my husband Matt is saved in my phone as Hubby bc I have SO many M listings it was a pain to find him. Once when my phone was ringing silently during a piano lesson I was teaching, the young student noticed, leaned over and read the screen and said "you can answer it, your hoo-bie is calling!" My brain says hoo-bie whenever he calls :)
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I love my husband! I call him hubby sometimes when I talk to other women because I want them to know that he is dear to me and husband or just calling him by his name seems stiff. If it bugged him I would stop but he knows it is a term of endearment and I think he likes that I want to show other people I am thrilled with him. :-)
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    HUBBYHUBBYHUBBYHUBBYHUBBYHUBBYHUBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue me:tongue:
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    For the record I often call him Hunny bunny to his face so I think if he was worried about being demasculenized by a nickname he would start with that one. Fortunately for me he is very secure.
  • new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree, no big deal here, it is a term of endearment in conversation. I use the word husband in a more professional situation or formal manner when around a serious surrounding. I am going to ask him if he likes it or not. I never wondered about it.

Now, I HATE when a man refers to his wife or girl friends as "HIS OLD LADY" uggh! Makes my blood boil to hear that one.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I only use the word "hubby" on this site when referring to him as my hubby/trainer since my husband is also my personal trainer. I only do it because I'm lazy and hubby is shorter to type than husband. In real life, I don't refer to him as my hubby, but he wouldn't mind if I did.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Can't believe this made it to 14 pages....no way I am reading all that....Hubby......Husband.....who cares. At least she's not calling you dumba$$.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I mostly refer to mine by his name, Brian... or "my husband" or "husband". I'm not fond of hubby. It sounds like boobies or bewbies instead of tits or titties. :P

ETA: I do however want to barf and hit things when guys refer to their wives or gf's as "my old lady"... I personally feel "hubby" is MUCH less offensive.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    With you. Hate it!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    When I was in a college fraternity, the old joke was it was a "fraternity" not a "frat" because you would never shorten the word "country." (Maybe I have the joke wrong...that's what college partying will do!)

Anyway, as a man, I do not like it when women refer to their spouse as their "hubby." I'm sure in most cases it's meant well, but in many it's not. I'm talking about the women who don't particular like their husbands (and I've talked to some of you so I know you're out there!)

But either way, I find "hubby" to be a touch condescending as a man. I have a feeling most women would feel the same way if all of them were referred to as "wifey" in each instance.

I realize most of you mean it as a term of endearment and it's shorter, but that doesn't mean it can't be nails on a chalkboard to me. Could I be the ONLY person that feels this way?

(Let the flaming begin.....)

I call my man "my old man" hee hee.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    "DH" Is more annoying and silly than hubby to me. And all the lame, desperate, "d" acronyms....like fingernails on a chalkboard. Just use real words, it's not all that difficult.

This.

THIS.