Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I've known plenty of smug people, married and otherwise. I'm going to step away from this topic because I can see it developing into a flame war....

............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    My husband and I refer to each other as "babe". And if I'm referring to him in conversation, its "my husband".
  • re08scue
    re08scue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I dislike 'Hun' more.
    But I always use my husbands name with friends, or refer to 'my husband' in business or more formal dealings.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

Awesome facepalm :laugh:

As far as the whole "hubby" thing, I couldn't care less. People have so many different pet names for each other and some are adorable and some make me want to hurl but in the end the cuteness is in the eye of the beholder no? I haven't been married but I doubt I would call my boyfriend hubby if we did get married. I tend to just call him babe lol
  • jlwright75
    Options
    If I am with a group of people who don't know my husband personally, I will often refer to him as Husband, Hubby or The Hubs because if they don't know him and I just talk randomly about some guy named Dave, they're not going to know who the hell I'm talking about. I don't think I've ever called him any of these things to his face but if I did happen to do so, he wouldn't bat an eye. Honestly, I can't imagine what others call their significant others as being a big deal to other people. :) I may hear someone else use a pet name for their 'other half' that I find annoying, but if they are good with it, it's nothing for me to concern myself with.

Jessica
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it is condescending.......

but is it annoying (to the 3rd party)? YES!!!!

But what is more annoying is the couple nick names!! lovey-pooo, booobooo, jiggly-doodo, cupsickles (two of them are real ....lol)

I call my man by his real name (shortened version that everyone uses!) ....
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I call my husband "hubby" sometimes and he donesn't mind. I don't care if he calls me wifey either.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    When I was in a college fraternity, the old joke was it was a "fraternity" not a "frat" because you would never shorten the word "country." (Maybe I have the joke wrong...that's what college partying will do!)

Anyway, as a man, I do not like it when women refer to their spouse as their "hubby." I'm sure in most cases it's meant well, but in many it's not. I'm talking about the women who don't particular like their husbands (and I've talked to some of you so I know you're out there!)

But either way, I find "hubby" to be a touch condescending as a man. I have a feeling most women would feel the same way if all of them were referred to as "wifey" in each instance.

I realize most of you mean it as a term of endearment and it's shorter, but that doesn't mean it can't be nails on a chalkboard to me. Could I be the ONLY person that feels this way?

(Let the flaming begin.....)

I would say it is better than calling you nothing at all:smile:
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    After 20 years I am happy my wife calls me anything.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    After 20 years I am happy my wife calls me anything.

I wanna hug you:love: but go hug your wifey instead:laugh:
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I only use "hubby" as an abbreviation on MFP because most people on here do not personally know my husband. Most times I will use his name. When I talk about him I will call him by his name or refer to him as my husband. I call him honey or babe when I speak to him and of course when I am mad at him.....well that is a whole different topic! :smile: I did just ask him and he says don't ever call him hubby.....just use his name! He has never called me wifey.

I TOTALLY HATE when people call their spouse "my old lady" or "old man" grrr! That makes me sooo mad. He used to call me his old lady for about 2 conversations that I overheard and that was the end of that!
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    nowhere near as bad as being referred to as "the old lady" or "my old lady". I would much rather be referred to as Wifey.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I detest pronouns.......

EX: She said to ask you a question.

Did you talk to her today?

She who?? And I spoke to several females today, which one? This is something I complain about to my kiddos and my hubby.

However, this (original comment) is a silly thing to get mad about. I hate to be called Mother, my grandma thought Granny was rude. However in other families these words are just fine. My hubby does call me his wifey and I am fine with that.

The real problem here seems to be this; some people are just happy when they find anything wrong with someone. My hubby and I are happier now after 12 years then we were after 5 years.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything I care less about right now that how other people are referring to their spouses. I've got bigger *kitten* on my mind; like how can I get a better parking spot at work.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of women posting here, when they should be making sammiches

Get in the kitchen and make me some PIE!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I never thought about it. I've never actually said the word hubby but when I'm typing, it is quicker to type than husband.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I just asked my Hubby. He laughed at this topic.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    WOW !!! who the fu*k cares ? what it's called..don't hassle people for their preference of words..get over it and stfu

You, apparently, since you're taking the time to reply to this.
  • BloomingLily
    BloomingLily Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the word "hubby" but for some odd reason "wifey" makes me want to hurl. LOL
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I'm not married, and I don't find it condescending...I just don't like the word "hubby", just as I cannot stand the word "preggo".