Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When I hear the word "hubby" I get the mental image of a tugboat mixed with a bumper car in my mind. And bath toys. I am not sure why. I mean, the sound of the word could be related to tubs, hub caps, sub(marines)... if someone was actually named Hubby I imagine he'd be very round and make beeping noises.
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    9 pages of posts on the word "hubby". I find it kind of endearing when my wife calls me hubby.....I get called different things when she's mad at me....not that that ever happens!
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of women posting here, when they should be making sammiches

OOOOO! that'll get you a bunch of punches in the arm!! LOL! Very cute! Thanks for the laugh!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    If people on MFP were a little more "with it" we could all say DH which is much easier but god forbid we start that then we'll have 10 threads a day asking what's DH stand for? just like the people who constantly ask what bump is, UGH!
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    its actually HUBS MCGUBS
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I can not believe this is still going on
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    If people on MFP were a little more "with it" we could all say DH which is much easier but god forbid we start that then we'll have 10 threads a day asking what's DH stand for? just like the people who constantly ask what bump is, UGH!

dumb husband?
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I just asked DH - "Dear Hubby" what he thinks. He says he kinda likes it.

I used to refer to my ex as "AH"... and the "H" did NOT stand for "hubby"...

To him, I tend to call my DH by his name. I refer to him as DH on discussion boards because I love him, and because he doesn't need his given name thrown out there for everyone (on here, he is JavaJunki).

He usually calls me "my wife"...
  • ProudDaddy
    ProudDaddy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I call my wife..wifey and she calls me hubby all the time. Neither I nor she think its demeaning in any way.. I guess your intitled to your opinion but just saying not everyone will agree with you..
  • ProudDaddy
    ProudDaddy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ARE YOU PEOPLE REALLY ARGUING WITH A FRAT BOY?

Shouldnt the 'frat' quip have been enough to know he wasnt worth arguing with?
    LOL I know right?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Hubby says you need to chill out and go give your wifey a huggy (not to be confused with Huggies, of course).
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    who cares really, as long as your wife doesn't call you it, no other man really cares i'm sure.

i'm sure alot of men would prefer hubby over "ol' boy", or "other half".
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    LMAO! Hahahahaha! Good one!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Someone also mentioned the smugness that the marrieds pull with the hubby word. I agree. Like seriously biotch get over it. I see your big ol ring...who cares. I'd rather get a video game system or a big ol flat screen TV with the money spent on a rock, yo.

Is this seriously how some people think? Like there is a huge group of married people out there that want to flash their bling? Yeah...I'll strap my plasma to my back and carry around my geeky husbands gaming systems as well to prove some sort of point. (not....as we worked damn hard to have what we have AND be able to celebrate our commitment to eachother with a wedding.)

Oh man...such a simple original post trailing right off the tracks...

I can't agree more! "Smug marrieds?" .. Really? I can only assume that poster was not referring to all married folk. I am an OLD broad .. and been married for over 35 years .. I don't EVER recall flashin the bling .. Not back then, not now .. Somehow, I picture ol granny and grampa getting all up in their stuff, flash'n the bling .. LOL .. What a visual .. That's just comical.
    Thank you! When I look at my ring, I think of 18 yrs of love, laughter, children, good times, tears.... not some how I may be sticking it to some bitter, unknown single person.

I'm not single nor bitter, and I was merely pointing out someone else's post regarding "smug marrieds". I was also pointing out that my partner and I don't need a ring to remind of us what we both share with each other.
    :laugh:
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of pet names in general. I tolerate being called them but don't see myself ever calling anyone by anything other than their name. I like hubby better than honey, and wifey is kind of cute. I guess. I'm just kind of averse to cheesiness.
  • Melaniemarie86
    Melaniemarie86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's funny that you mention this, because my boyfriend and I just talked about this a few days ago when I was back home in Wisconsin for my sister's wedding. I was having fun and called her soon-to-be-husband her "hubby" and my boyfriend proceeded to exclaim how much he hates the term "hubby". It's not like I mean anything bad by saying it, and it's not like I'd use it on a daily basis or anything, but if I marry my current boyfriend, I guess I should use it never... haha. But no biggie. I love the term "husband". :smile:
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    i call mine "daddy"

*shrug*

edited to read: sadly, he is not my sugar daddy tho. :)

Hubby for husband doesn't bug me, but I hate daddy! He's my spouse, my husband, my hubby but NOT my daddy! I know it's silly but it just gets to me.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I really don't get the big deal is with either hubby or wifey. Way too much thought put into something so petty and unimportant. Now if I walked around calling my husband my "Dinky" that'd be a different story. I rate this topic lame-o.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I hate when women refer to them only as husband or boyfriend. They are not objects! When did they lose their names!! Are you so proud of having a man that you need to force it into every possible instance?! (And I feel the same way about 'wife' and 'girlfriend')

Do you call your parents by their first name, or do you treat them as objects?

Nope. I call 'em Mom and Dad, as they taught me to call them. If I did call them by their given names, it would be really disrespectful.

I also realized that some of us are talking about different things. On sites like this, message boards, etc DH, or hubby, or hubs, doesn't bother me. I just read over it and understand who they are talking about. Those same terms stick out so much (to me) in face-to-face conversation. That's when it irks me. And, I realized that it bothers me the most when close friends/siblings do it because then I know exactly who their boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/wife is and there is no real reason to not call them by their names.
  • bec_a
    bec_a Posts: 4 Member
    Options

lol. You nerd.