Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Its annoying! I llike wiffle though for wife!! It makes me chuckle!! Whats more annoying than Hubby is Hubs!!

You must hate all my posts then. :tongue: Husband sounds like super official or something to me. Hubs is a lot shorter and more causal. I really don't think he'd care either way. Oh and also pretty much all my posts that reference him are about how awesome he is, so not sure why that would be seen as derogetory? *shrug* whatever.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    There was something like this on the radio..........

So you dont say girlfriend or boyfriend you say Hubby or The Mrs's, just what I heard on the radio....

As for me, I honestly dont care as long as two people are happy..........

But I did laugh at the shortening of country.... :laugh:
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am not married, but I generally dislike terms like "hubby" or "baby", but also leetspeak, textese and internet slang. I find hypocorism irritating in general, but am guilty of having used terms like "lol" on facebook because 99% of the people who I know on-line find baby-talk amusing and sign of friendship, so in certain cases I will use terms that generally irritate me personally to get an emotion or sentiment across.

It would be interesting to find out if certain MBTI types are more likely to use internet slang and baby talk than other types? My guess is that the ExFJ and ExFP types are more likely to than other types. Not sure though.

Generally, though, I just ignore baby talk because if I let something that insignificant bother me, I would be much more "messed up" than I already am. I can't speak to people who use terms like that in a condescending manner, because the people I know who speak baby-talk generally use it to convey endearment and "love".
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed with the staying power of this thread and people's interest in it...
  • bexominglex
    Options
    My "boyfriend" (which is in itself an irritating label- does anyone have a better one? We are more than simple platonic friends, but not married- I am 29 year old female and he is 20.5 years older than I am so "boyfriend" sounds dumb to me for a few reasons)... he sometimes calls me "cutie" or "sweetie". At first I just rolled my eyes, and now I take it as a sign that he is having a good day. He is a much more emotional and affectionate person than I am and assumes that if you don't reciprocate to some degree, it means you are "cold" or "don't care" (intellectually he knows this is not the case, but doesn't seem to understand on a visceral gut level since we have had a discussion about his emotions and me being "distant" more than a few times now). Now, sometimes, to let him know I care about to also highlight the fact that I find baby-talk annoying I will call him "snookums" in a syrupy tone of voice (obviously meant as a joke), which makes him laugh and feel like he is being acknowledged, but also doesn't allow him to forget that the "love of his life" (his phrase, not mine) as a bleepin' robot. ;)

Has anyone noticed (I haven't read any studies about this) that people who tend to be more overly affectionate (both verbally and physically, as in hugging excessively) also tend to be people who feel "missed" or "lonely" more often. 99% of the time I talk to my "buddy" (what I call him for lack of a better word), he initiated the phone call. He'll ask me straight up if I miss him, to which I usually respond "No. I just spoke/saw you 1/2/3/4 days ago."

What some people think of as affection, others view as patronization, Likewise, many people who I think are overly affectionate and sentimental assume I am cold and uncaring. Finding a balance (if you care about the other person, and they, you) is important.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the term "Significant other", it's as if you are saying you aren't significant your self. The same with "other half" how can someone be your other half when you are presumably a whole person already? It doesn't bother me when people use them but I just don't actually understand the terms myself. :smile:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I really only find it annoying when people do that when they're not married. I'm like, wait...you're calling your boyfriend your Hubby? Don't you...need...to...marry him first? hehe! Besides that, just don't tell me your "preggers" because THAT one annoys the crap out of me.

Two people who are not legally bound by marriage can be legally bound together by law in some areas of the world. Living together can offer some of the very same 'rights' and 'benefits' as if they were married. Laws that govern this relationship are typically provincial (in Canada) or governed by the state (in the USA) This is referred to as living "common law" or a "domestic partnership". That is not girlfriend/boyfriend. So, in reality the terms "Husband' or "Wife" .. or any derivative thereof, CAN legitimately be used when two people are not married., as long as they are living together as a family.

No such law exists here, and there are no rights for cohabiting people, there is no legal status for 'common law partners' in England
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    My "boyfriend" (which is in itself an irritating label- does anyone have a better one? We are more than simple platonic friends, but not married- I am 29 year old female and he is 20.5 years older than I am so "boyfriend" sounds dumb to me for a few reasons)...

how about man friend a la sex & the city or maybe gentleman caller ( a personal favorite when I was dating an older man, just for the fun factor) :tongue:
  • boopiejones
    Options
    all that matters is two things: 1) the intent, and 2) whether or not the person it is directed to is OK with it.

my dad is michael, but don't call him mike. it's not his name, and it offends him even if the name mike isn't offensive on a stand alone basis.

it doesn't matter what my wife and i call each other, as long as WE are ok with it. it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
    Interesting. Care to comment in this thread? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395377-the-n-word

i was gearing my answer toward "hubby" but i suppose i should have added a #3: foul language is not OK in public. if you want to call someone the n word, keep it to a private setting (even if the recipient is OK with it). i have three young kids, and i don't want them learning any foul or LEGITIMATELY derogatory terms. hubby, wifey, etc. aren't foul language.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't really care one way or the other but to put this out here... I call my husband "hubby" and that's what's in my cell phone. He calls me "wifey" and that's what's in his cell phone. As long as I'm not being called a b**** call me whatever you like =)
  • bexominglex
    Options
    Agreed. The terms "significant other" and "better half" are strange to me. Maybe they mean "significant other (person in one's life)" as opposed to all of the other, apparently insignificant people? Everyone in my life is significant to some degree as far as I am concerned (without getting overly philosophical about it).

When I break it down, the questions that sort of seems to best identify how I feel about someone is "how much would my life be disrupted if said person was to up and die?" If I'd spend longer than a few hours or days grieving, the person is somewhat significant. :) But by that standard, my pet cat is more "significant" to me than most people I know, including most of my "blood" family.

Ah, life. It's so strange.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    My husband prefers that I call him my "hubby" most of the time because husband is more formal, whereas "hubby" is more intimate.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    When I was in a college fraternity, the old joke was it was a "fraternity" not a "frat" because you would never shorten the word "country." (Maybe I have the joke wrong...that's what college partying will do!)

Anyway, as a man, I do not like it when women refer to their spouse as their "hubby." I'm sure in most cases it's meant well, but in many it's not. I'm talking about the women who don't particular like their husbands (and I've talked to some of you so I know you're out there!)

But either way, I find "hubby" to be a touch condescending as a man. I have a feeling most women would feel the same way if all of them were referred to as "wifey" in each instance.

I realize most of you mean it as a term of endearment and it's shorter, but that doesn't mean it can't be nails on a chalkboard to me. Could I be the ONLY person that feels this way?

(Let the flaming begin.....)

i use it online to refer to my husband instead of using his name. Another forum I used to frequent referred to loved ones as DH (dear husband) or DD (dear daughter) etc. Since I don't see that used here I use hubby or hubs...just to shorten it up a big ol 2 letters. In real life I do an even more annoying thing and call him by our family nickname instead of his first name.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed with the staying power of this thread and people's interest in it...
    I'm impressed with "hypocorism" - had to look that up. Very cool word. Thank you, bexominglex!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed with "hypocorism" - had to look that up. Very cool word. Thank you, bexominglex!

OOOH! I like it!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i only call him hubby when talking online with people that dont know us.. (ie: forums, chat rooms, etc). i dont see what the big deal is - it doesnt bother him and yes, im a lazy typist. i also dont like it when other people tell me what to call my own hubby ;)
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    when i get married, i'm gonna say hubby. its funny.
  • Being2befit
    Being2befit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i think hubby is a cute little pet name..just like sweetie or baby for his wife..i like hubby!!!
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I refer to my husband as hubby in texts and forums etc, but to his face I call him Handsome Man or Babes and he calls me Gorgeous or Babes; we call each other this every day without fail...it now sounds odd if he does call me by my real name!! Just thought I'd throw that one out there, I'm sure some of you will be sticking your fingers down your throats now but it works perfectly for us :smile:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    i only call him hubby when talking online with people that dont know us.. (ie: forums, chat rooms, etc). i dont see what the big deal is - it doesnt bother him and yes, im a lazy typist. i also dont like it when other people tell me what to call my own hubby ;)
    Yes this! He MY "hubby" and I'll call him what I like. My mom used that term a lot so its probably where I picked it up.