Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Even more annoying... people call their friends "besties" now. Eww. Drives me insane. It would be cute for a 16 year old (I guess) but people in their mid twenties.. it just sounds dumb. Also, I hated when people called me "prego" when I was pregnant. I have a baby growing inside me, I am not a spaghetti sauce.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I really only find it annoying when people do that when they're not married. I'm like, wait...you're calling your boyfriend your Hubby? Don't you...need...to...marry him first? hehe! Besides that, just don't tell me your "preggers" because THAT one annoys the crap out of me.

YES! ^ this!!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I hate when women refer to them only as husband or boyfriend. They are not objects! When did they lose their names!! Are you so proud of having a man that you need to force it into every possible instance?! (And I feel the same way about 'wife' and 'girlfriend')

FYI: I am a woman. I have a boyfriend. I call him by his name. Not "Let me ask the boyfriend". It's "Let me ask {name}"

But, back to your original question. Yes, it annoys me when I hear people use 'hubby' all the time.

I think most people use the terms "Hubby" "Husband" "Wife" "Girlfriend" blah blah blah because we are on a site where we don't know each other personally. If i said "Laz and i went to the gym last night" would you know who i was talking about?! No. So saying the relationship allows others understand your life a little more. True?!

I agree with this... nothing wrong with saying husband to those who don't even know your husbands name.
    I think people who view this as bragging or showing off have other issues. My husband would agree with me :)
    Lighten up.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I only ever viewed it (and heard it) as a term of endearment when i was married or when I've heard my female friends refer to their spouse. It's just a word. There are worse things that a person can be called. I don't see the big deal.

Agreed....we say both. :)
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    there are a lot of women posting here, when they should be making sammiches
    :wink:
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    In case you haven't noticed this is an estrogen soaked website so you pretty much have to get used to the local dialects(TOM, etc..).
    Since its a fitness site, any day you aren't a 'Chubby Hubby" is a victory.

LOL!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it to be a term of enderment. You would never hear a women who hates and disrespects their husband as "That stupid, fat, lazy hubby of mine". I get why people dont like it, personally I dont mind
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it to be a term of enderment. You would never hear a women who hates and disrespects their husband as "That stupid, fat, lazy hubby of mine". I get why people dont like it, personally I dont mind

What about Roxy Hart?

I guess she didn't hate her husband. She just didn't respect him.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    5 pages of responses...not going to read

But my husband and I are very much in love. I refer to him as the husband, hubby, and hubs. He doesn't mind one bit.

Don't like it? I don't care.

When I want to insult him I just call him **** head
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Husband... or DH (dear husband) if I want to shorten in a crowd that knows the acronym.

Hubs - no.
    Hubby - no.
    Sweetums, snookums, etc - no.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    WHERE IS MY SANDWHICH, WOMAN!!!!
  • baisleac
    Options

The bread is there. *points* The knife is in that drawer there. *points* Everything else is in the fridge.

Go get 'em, tiger.... oh, and make me one while you're at it? :drinker:
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I "hella" hate that word too, "hubby", ick.
    But then again, I don't like "relationship", "boyfriend/girlfriend", etc. I'm a weirdo. My bf....oh God just typing it gives me the heebie jeebies, is my partner. My FB says I'm in a domestic partnership and I refer to him as my partner. People think I'm gay. Oh well.

Someone also mentioned the smugness that the marrieds pull with the hubby word. I agree. Like seriously biotch get over it. I see your big ol ring...who cares. I'd rather get a video game system or a big ol flat screen TV with the money spent on a rock, yo.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

The bread is there. *points* The knife is in that drawer there. *points* Everything else is in the fridge.

Were are you getting the time to post so much, don't you have babies or kitchens to be in or making?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Oh <burp> was that yours? It was delicious.
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that a marriage is a pretty personal relationship, so the terms people choose to use regarding their own personal relationships are their own personal business.

But I prefer to call my own hubby "Boo-boo Kitty-*kitten*".
  • baisleac
    Options

Were are you getting the time to post so much, don't you have babies or kitchens to be in or making?

*snort* Babies are for husbands to care for, after the birth, of course. The kitchen shall be utilized this evening, after work... that IS where the ice cream is kept, after all.
  • twistofcain
    Options
    Doesn't really bother me; Ashley usually only says it when making posts to facebook, etc. What irks the living **** out of me are pet names along the lines of the McDondald's commercials involving "Chipmunk and "Sweet Tea" Pie.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    On here, I refer to my husband as "hubs" simply because I'm lazy.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I think that "Hubby" sounds like baby talk.