Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yeah I never say hubby, and he would never call me wifey, lol.......husband and wife is just fine!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm pretty sure no one here cares whether you like it or not, myself included. I don't imagine anyone here is going to call you hubby so wtf would any of us care?
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    And men call their wives plenty of names that the women would not like I'm sure. :laugh:

Personally I couldn't call my future husband that just because it would sound ridiculous. I don't even use terms of endearment. I can't call a guy hun, dear, or whatever without feeling weird about it so my husband would most certainly be my 'husband'. But I don't really see how 'hubby' could be insulting unless the woman knew you didn't like the word.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    meh-I say hubby or even, gasp, hubster! He calls me the wife. It's no biggie here!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I refer to my husband as hubbie on forums, but not in real life... I have no idea why. Sorry if this ruins your day :eyeroll:
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I use hubby all the time - just as he uses wifey. We both see it as a term of endearment - after 17 years we have several!

That said if I'm talking to people I don't know well then its husband but within our close circle he's hubby and I'm wifey.

Exactly this (although we're 6 years shy of our 17th anniversary!)

I guess I should start correcting my husband when he calls me "Punkin" as he has since we were dating ... it's PUMPKIN, thank you very much. :wink:

However, we usually only use those to address each other, as pet names. When we're talking to other people we probably say "husband" and "wife" ... I never really paid attention.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    My husband and I actually DO refer to one another as "hubby" and "wifey."

So what's it to ya? *rollseyes*
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My wife calls me by my name.... followed by "come hither", followed by a finger snap. Yep, she loves me!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    FWIW, my husband does indeed call me wifey. "Wifey, come hereeeeee!" I rarely say hubby, but in the few times I've done so it's been to someone who doesn't know him, typically online so they don't really care to know much about him if that makes sense. To our friends he's Keith, to someone who don't know him he's my husband (or very rarely hubby) because it's a shorthand/lazy way of indicating my relationship and why I might have asked his opinion or be looiking something up, etc. Hubby is just a cutesy way of saying it, so I don't really see it as demeaning nor would I use it as a pejorative term. That said my response to him calling me wifey is to say "Yes, husband-y?" so maybe I should use hubby in that case :flowerforyou:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I prefer my wife calling me "pay day"

Although I am not fond of all the attempts on my life... Paying that guy with the car that was one thing but seriously the guy with the gun was a bit overkill
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Stud muffin is an acceptable substitute. :happy:
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    We have a lot of different pet names for each other, Papa Bear, Mama Bear, Big Daddy, the Missus (he's from Ireland), and really don't think twice about it. Yes, I've called him hubby to others in and out of his company. He's the type who would say something if it offended him. Neither one of us get our knickers in a wad for little things such as pet names. We don't take ourselves too seriously, and we've had to deal with a lot of challenges in our short 10 year marriage. We've had to go to Hell and back, and to get so upset over something so trivial wouldn't make much sense to either of us.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me a bit. I would actually be more offended if he called me by my real name b/c I;m never called my real name unless in trouble for something lol.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Could I be the ONLY person that feels this way?

[/quote]

Yes you are. But regardless, I don't actually call him "hubby", but if I'm speaking about him on my status or on my FB page, than yes I refer to him as hubby. OH well! I guess you'll have to get over it! :wink:
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    He is my husband, hubs, hubby, hubba hubba, honeypot and, when the occasion warrants, my hubtard.

I haven't called him his name in months. I literally call him Husband.

He doesn't call me Wifey, though, way too ghetto. He calls me wife, babe, woman...
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I only ever viewed it (and heard it) as a term of endearment when i was married or when I've heard my female friends refer to their spouse. It's just a word. There are worse things that a person can be called. I don't see the big deal.

Agree with this quote. It seems to me that the OP may have some other underlying issues that was not disclosed. What is the big deal about "HUBBY" OR "WIFEY"??!!?? It is used in a loving and a term of endearment! Simple as that! What is really the issue that you have with "Hubby" or "Wifey". I do not see, hear or understand what is offensive or demeaning! I guess it is not what you say but how you say it....is what matters. What kind of tone of voice does the person use when saying the word/name.
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it is such a big deal. It is just an abbreviation. As a woman, being called 'the ball and chain', my 'bird' and my 'missus' is however offensive (not saying that you do this)
    That and 'my old lady'. That makes my blood boil. But Hubby, Wifey - neither bother me but don't ever remember my Darling Husband every calling each other either of those names. We were Momma & Daddy or Nana & Papa which I know drives some nuts. Of course my DH passed away 2 1/2 yr ago so I'd even love to hear him call me his 'old lady.'
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    He is my husband, hubs, hubby, hubba hubba and, when the occasion warrants, my hubtard.

I haven't called him his name in months.

Haha! Hubtard, I love it!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I am married, I am male, and my wife occasionally refers to be as her "hubby". No problem with it here. Different strokes for different folks...
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of hubby, but I am an even bigger non-fan of HUBBINS. Worst. Petname. Ever. -gag-

GRRRR....I TOTALLY agree with you on that. It just sounds weird, creepy, and gross.