Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• mdjoubert03
    Options
    when i think of the word hubby i think of a woman bragging about her husband to her not-so-married/not-so-happily-maried friends, when i think of wifey, i think of gansta rap / hip hopper talking about the girl their dating- so i guess i wont be using hubby (bragging is stupid) and i definatly dont want to be called wifey,
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I only ever use hubby when referring to him in an online arena...in real life he is "his name" my husband. it is shorter to type hub or hubby than husband.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    get over it. there are bigger problems in the world. :)
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Not at all!! I HATE it when my husband calls me his "Wifey" and he knows it! Thankfully, he's an awesome man and stopped doing it (he thought it was cute) when I told him how it irritated me. :) I've never called him my "hubby", btw.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    To ea his own peeps :) I use hubby dude /husband dude and he calls me wifey/my better half we don't mind ^-^
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    get over it. there are bigger problems in the world. :)

This is the answer to every single issue on MFP.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice. I refer to my husband mostly as my husband, but in blogs and online he's often referenced as the hubster and I'm his husbear. I'm not sure that I've never referred to him as my hubby, but if I did, it was certainly never meant in a condescending way.

You may not always agree with another person's use of a term, but that doesn't make it wrong (or right).
  • moonglo82
    moonglo82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The only reason I ever use the term "hubby" is if I'm typing something about him from my phone, which is a pain in the butt. I never call him that in person or to his face, nor do I type that way if I'm sitting in front of an actual keyboard. It's an abbreviation, nothing more.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Aww, is calorie restriction making you cranky? :wink:

Just kidding :happy:
  • chelley_79
    chelley_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've only ever called him that as a term of endearment... I personally don't see what upsets you so... and I have a cousin who calls his wife "wifey" daily... and he is not condescending either. I think it's up to the person... I think you'd rather me refer to my husband as "hubby" rather than the 1000 other nicknames I have for him... like "Squishy Bear".. ya...see...gag reflex. LOL

To each their own. Happy Losing!! :-)
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I only ever viewed it (and heard it) as a term of endearment when i was married or when I've heard my female friends refer to their spouse. It's just a word. There are worse things that a person can be called. I don't see the big deal.

I agree. I'm not married but to me "hubby" is when you DO like your husband............suppose if I marry again, I'll have to ask what they prefer being called. lol
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options

I really don't like it when people refer to their husband/wife/boyfriend etc as "their other half" ....you're still a whole person even if you have a husband.

I think that annoys me more than "hubby"

Yes, but you are both exactly one half of a whole couple.... In a good marriage, your world view might be such that you consider everything from the viewpoint of that couple, thus identifying yourself as half of that, and your spouse as the other half.... Just a thought that might make it less annoying for you.. :)
  • chelley_79
    chelley_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Aww, is calorie restriction making you cranky? :wink:

Just kidding :happy:

ha!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Can't say I'd be offended either way. Hubby seems like a term of endearment to me. Husband seems more formal.
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of hubby, but I am an even bigger non-fan of HUBBINS. Worst. Petname. Ever. -gag-

HAHAHAH. that sounds like "nubbins" which reminds me of chandler on friends...which was the term for his third nipple. that is awful.
  • magerz18
    magerz18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Im getting married in a few months and mark my words I WIL NEVER EVER EVER refer to my husband as "hubby" I am with you 100%!!!!
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate a husband not wanting to be called hubby. i know it's a term of endearment, but i don't like it myself (being the wife LOL). i usually refer to my husband with his first name to most everyone. we call each other mommy and daddy since we are the pet parents to 2 dogs and they are our fur kids. otherwise, it's some other nickname that neither of us are offended by.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I think we should call our mates whatever pet names we want. Who cares.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    But either way, I find "hubby" to be a touch condescending as a man. I have a feeling most women would feel the same way if all of them were referred to as "wifey" in each instance.

I call my husband "hubby" or "the hubs" some times and he calls me "wifey". In fact that's how I'm listed in his phone: Wifey. Doesn't bother me one bit.
  • aleham
    aleham Posts: 44
    Options
    I assume that if the actual husband doesn't like to be called "hubby" the wife won't call him that, and the ones that don't mind don't mind.

I don't see what the big deal is.