Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• chickabee5
    chickabee5 Posts: 90
    Options
    Well I'm a single girl so I guess I can't really say much but I think that "The Mrs" or "The Wife" is more offensive than "Hubby"
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I am finding the irate replies HIGHLY amusing. Some random lumberjack guy starts a silly thread to get a rise out of people, and the people that are most annoyed by this are actually taking the time to write how annoyed they are. LMAO!!! I mean that is seriously HI-larious. If it bothers you so much folks juuuuuuust
    ................................................click
    ..........................................................the
    ....................................................................next
    ..............................................................................forum
    ...........................................................................................topic

I love this one! Seems the ones most annoyed with this thread are the most annoying.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I call mine my partner, and everyone assumes I'm in a relationship with another woman. I'm not. I just like the equality of "partner". Hubby don't bug me none, but I don't use it.
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I only ever use hubby when referring to him in an online arena...in real life he is "his name" my husband. it is shorter to type hub or hubby than husband.

yup, that is what I do, I never refer to my husband as hubby anywhere but online, it's shorter and does not seem so formal and cold., and besides I love and adore my hubby, he has been my honey for more than 30 years, hmmmm maybe I will call him honey instead of hubby which is what I do at home, (I'm sweetie, or darling by the way, kinda makes you want to throw up a little, :wink: :tongue: :tongue: :wink: :blushing: )
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I think of hubby as a pet name, but it does sound a bit condescending. I don't have a hubby, I have a husband, an equal partner, not a pet. So yes, I agree. I've never seen hubby as a term of endearment, but instead a term of lower status.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i often refer to my husband as "the husband" or "the man". if i use hubby i'm not aware of it. LOL
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Would y'all prefer 'schnookems'? c:

Either way, I call mine hubs or the Mr.
  • marie_cressman
    Options
    I am finding the irate replies HIGHLY amusing. Some random lumberjack guy starts a silly thread to get a rise out of people, and the people that are most annoyed by this are actually taking the time to write how annoyed they are. LMAO!!! I mean that is seriously HI-larious. If it bothers you so much folks juuuuuuust
    ................................................click
    ..........................................................the
    ....................................................................next
    ..............................................................................forum
    ...........................................................................................topic

^^LOL love

i wasn't patient enough to read more than the first few posts and a few on this page... haha!
  • _Punjab
    _Punjab Posts: 67
    Options
    I CANNOT STAND when women call their significant other "Boyfriend" instead of using their actual name. (e.g. "I'm going out to dinner with Boyfriend tonight.")

I think that it is annoying and disrespectful and condescending and makes it seem like the only reason you're even dating him is so that you're dating someone. Why is it okay to be offended when a man calls you "woman" but it is okay to call him "boyfriend"? He is not a possession.
  • marie_cressman
    Options
    I CANNOT STAND when women call their significant other "Boyfriend" instead of using their actual name. (e.g. "I'm going out to dinner with Boyfriend tonight.")

I think that it is annoying and disrespectful and condescending and makes it seem like the only reason you're even dating him is so that you're dating someone. Why is it okay to be offended when a man calls you "woman" but it is okay to call him "boyfriend"? He is not a possession.

it doesn't offend me to be called woman... i don't think. i'm not sure if my husband has ever referred me as "woman" though unless jokingly saying "make me a sammich woman" or "you heard me woman". LOL we often are inappropriately rude to each other... we have a strange kind of love. :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I had never heard anyone say hubby IRL. I sometimes forget that my coworkers know my husband's name, and would say my husband. With friends, I just use his name. But it doesn't bother me if people call their husband hubby or their boyfriend boyfriend. I don't really care.
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people just use it online because it is shorter to type out just like they use OH, DH, DW, SO, DD, DS etc. That's why I use it when I type forum posts because I don't like the 2 letter abbreviations most of the time.

IRL we call each other hon. When I speak about him at work, or my kid's school, or to any of my family/friends on the phone he is Patrick, although sometimes that gets confusing to people because our son is Patrick also. Like "oh yeah mom, Patrick was sick a few days ago" and they respond "oh my gosh did he get his sister sick too", then I have to respond (sigh) "No mom Patrick not little Pat" They don't seem to get that if I am talking about our son I say Pat or Pat jr. Jeesh. If we are referring to the other of us with the children then we are mommy or daddy.
  • Shinemaria
    Shinemaria Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think it is a matter of preference. I will call my husband my hubby. It is out of love. He actually likes it. I get that you don't like it and I promise I will never call you hubby. Maybe you should tell your wife this if it bothers you so much.

^this is correct. It's everyone's own choice. Quit yer b*tchin.
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of women posting here, when they should be making sammiches
    ^^OUCH!^^:tongue:
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I say hubby when I type because it's shorter, I barely ever speak the word tho.
    and I wouldn't care if he called me wifey either.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    agree
  • kbairdphillips
    kbairdphillips Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Now that we are parents, we probably call each other "mama" and "daddy" more than our names, too!

YES!! If my son is around, I almost always say "Hey, daddy, can you pass me the remote?" instead of "honey" or some other term. I'm sure when my son's older (he's 2), we'll stop saying momma & daddy for everything though and go back to more of the "sweetie, honey, baby" stuff. LOL

I think I mostly call my husband daddy, and my kids are several years older. But, if the kids aren't around, which is rare, I call him by his name or baby.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I like "hubby" and will likely use it when I marry. My boyfriend and I have so many nicknames for eachother and he told me straight up he looked forward to the day we get those terms of endearment. To each their own. :laugh:
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    I don't call my husband Hubby... Of course that would be obnoxious.

I call him Bubby. Or Bub, Bubs, Bubba...

And to be extra unobnoxious... I incorporate his name with the names of household items, like the microwave is the Michael-wave or Mikey-wave. Or his motorcycle is the Michaelcycle or Mikebike.

But for sure, he's my husband, not my Hubby.
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    Been called worse ... Just saying