Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• sashaeverett
    sashaeverett Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use hubby all the time - just as he uses wifey. We both see it as a term of endearment - after 17 years we have several!

That said if I'm talking to people I don't know well then its husband but within our close circle he's hubby and I'm wifey.
    I'm the exact same. I do not see it as a big deal. We love eachother, and silly names do not bother us.
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    I think there is worse. I have used it a few times. The ones that touch a nerve for me is "my old lady" and "my old man". I think that is more disrespectful and I cringe every time I hear it.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I personally like the word "hubby" and I usually HATE unnecessary abbreviations ("totes"? seriously?) But if my husband did not like it I certainly would not use it!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    More annoying than someone making a big deal about the term of endearment (or term of annoyance) that other people use is the dip**** that rekindled this stupid thread from last November. Seriously. Every thread ever known to MFP not only has been done before, it has been done eleventy billion times since last November. Why, for the love of daisies are we re-warming this stupid thing.

I call my husband "hubs" on here because I won't use his name except in one very specific instance in which it was material. So, not using his name respects his privacy. Secondly, I use "hubs" precisely because it is an informal term of endearment which conveys the feelings I have when I am relating a story based on him.

I truly don't give a flip if you do or do not like how I refer to a person whose relationship is far more important than is the one I have with you, stranger (stranges?).

What I don't like is this unending need of people to wade in and save us from the terrible fate of not knowing what their opinion is on something they really have no standing to give their opinion on. BTW, I also don't care if anyone is attracted to "that" kind of body type. So let yourself off the hook of saving us from that uncertainty, too if you would.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I do hate the term 'wifey'....it is right up there with 'old lady'...'ball and chain'...etc...lol
    I rarely say hubby...mainly beause I am not married yet. Heck, I can barely imagine saying the word 'husband'...it will be really weird in two weeks when I get married and he moves from 'fiance' to 'husband'....lol
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I love my HUBBY
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I think it is a matter of preference. I will call my husband my hubby. It is out of love. He actually likes it. I get that you don't like it and I promise I will never call you hubby. Maybe you should tell your wife this if it bothers you so much.
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    honestly, it has become rare for my husband to call me by my first name. It sounds strange when he does. lol. I call him hubby along with a string of other pet names, but nothing too cutesy or discusting. (Like Danny bear..lol YUCK!!!) He calls me wifey on occasion, but usually babe or sweety, or whatever. I like it personally, and hubby comes out ALL the time. To each their own :flowerforyou:
  • khaleesinoodlebelly
    khaleesinoodlebelly Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    So completely agree-nails on chalk board or rubbing styrofoam together kinda thing. But then again I have my own liking of names for my significant other, that I am sure most women would not use for their husbands soo.. 'tis all.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't use the word hubby because I just don't like it.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    More annoying than someone making a big deal about the term of endearment (or term of annoyance) that other people use is the dip**** that rekindled this stupid thread from last November. Seriously. Every thread ever known to MFP not only has been done before, it has been done eleventy billion times since last November. Why, for the love of daisies are we re-warming this stupid thing.

I call my husband "hubs" on here because I won't use his name except in one very specific instance in which it was material. So, not using his name respects his privacy. Secondly, I use "hubs" precisely because it is an informal term of endearment which conveys the feelings I have when I am relating a story based on him.

I truly don't give a flip if you do or do not like how I refer to a person whose relationship is far more important than is the one I have with you, stranger (stranges?).

What I don't like is this unending need of people to wade in and save us from the terrible fate of not knowing what their opinion is on something they really have no standing to give their opinion on. BTW, I also don't care if anyone is attracted to "that" kind of body type. So let yourself off the hook of saving us from that uncertainty, too if you would.

You should probably stay off the forums for awhile. It's clearly not good for you.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's offensive I just think it's a stupid word. I'm not married yet but I would never call my husband a "hubby." It sounds like a big ball of chubby rolly polly fat and it's very peeving to me. I'd never say anything to anyone who says it but I'm glad someone agrees with me! It's just such an ugly word.
  • This is funny hehe
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

You should probably stay off the forums for awhile. It's clearly not good for you.

Thank you ever so much for your opinion.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    There are worse things to be called than "hubby"..... and a few I used with the first one!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Personally, I just think we should be calling people by their REAL name instead of labels, like "hubby" and "wifey."

^^THIS

Yeah, but on message boards, if you don't want to give out personal info, you wouldn't call your husband "Jeff" or something.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I call my husband A LOT of things....but hubby isn't one of them! ;)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Its annoying! I llike wiffle though for wife!! It makes me chuckle!! Whats more annoying than Hubby is Hubs!!

^this!!

I type 'hubby' in-game, on MFP, other sites, email, etc. but i dont call him hubby. but he'll call me wifey once in a while and it makes me giggle.
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am finding the irate replies HIGHLY amusing. Some random lumberjack guy starts a silly thread to get a rise out of people, and the people that are most annoyed by this are actually taking the time to write how annoyed they are. LMAO!!! I mean that is seriously HI-larious. If it bothers you so much folks juuuuuuust
    ................................................click
    ..........................................................the
    ....................................................................next
    ..............................................................................forum
    ...........................................................................................topic