Burger King ... you are kidding me..

Options
So after my workout lastnight, on my drive home, I heard a super funny commercial on the radio!
Burger King was offering a "FAMILY" meal for $9.99!
This included a whopper, fries, and a soda, a whopper junior, fries and a soda, and a kids meal with soda!
A MEAL FOR A FAMILY OF 3 OF NUTRITIONALLY VOID FOOD???!!! For $10??!!

I laughed because I can feed my family of 6 a nutritionally sound meal with a protein (usually meat), 2 veggies/fruit, a starch (brown rice, WW noodles, corn, legumes,potatoes, etc..), and milk. ALL FOR $10!!! OR LESS!!!!

I am NOT SURE who ever thought that feeding a family FAST FOOD was cheaper than feeding them at home!

EX: Chicken breast baked, with salsa, and black beans. Served with carrots sticks, and green beans on the side. CHEAP AND GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

Even if BK was cheaper to feed your family... in the long run, the health costs would not be!

Replies

• bwalters82
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • juliejem
    juliejem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are so right! Thanks for sharing. :)
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Lack of nutritional education makes familys on a tight budget see the positive to that. I agree with you though.. Chicken, veggies and rice.. Cheap Cheap Cheap!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    What would be the "health costs" of feeding a child a moderate amount of Burger King, i.e. 1-2 times per month?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    It's a long- and commonly-held misconception that fast food is cheaper, and to blame for obesity, in the US. Once one does the math, it's easy to see that one can certainly eat healthier for the same price, or even less, than fast food.

The fast food joints aren't to blame for obesity -- it's individuals lifestyle choices that lead to obesity. Income is not a factor, as the facts prove that it's cheaper to eat healthy food at home.

There was a great discussion about this a while back (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/358863-is-junk-food-really-cheaper), which highlighted a great article on the subject: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/opinion/sunday/is-junk-food-really-cheaper.html?pagewanted=2&_r=3&ref=opinion

Nothing wrong with eating out, and indulging once in a while.

:drinker:
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I don't think it's cheaper. Faster and sometimes more convenient yes. However, my husband is the cook in my house so I don't care about those factors, lol.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yum, whopper jr with their new fries is soooo good. :)
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I laugh to myself every time I hear that commercial. It's so stupid! And isn't it like a Whopper, a Whopper Jr, and a kid's meal or something? Is that supposed to be Daddy gets the Whopper and Mommy gets the Whopper Jr? Doesn't make any sense to me.
  • strangewebby
    Options
    It's laziness and addiction to fats that makes this a good idea for anyone. It really is disgusting what some people do to their bodies (sometimes me included).
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I would imagine you are preaching to the choir here.

Sooo...I guess I don't understand what the point of posting this is, when most of us are just going to nod our heads in agreement.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    So after my workout lastnight, on my drive home, I heard a super funny commercial on the radio!
    Burger King was offering a "FAMILY" meal for $9.99!
    This included a whopper, fries, and a soda, a whopper junior, fries and a soda, and a kids meal with soda!
    A MEAL FOR A FAMILY OF 3 OF NUTRITIONALLY VOID FOOD???!!! For $10??!!

I laughed because I can feed my family of 6 a nutritionally sound meal with a protein (usually meat), 2 veggies/fruit, a starch (brown rice, WW noodles, corn, legumes,potatoes, etc..), and milk. ALL FOR $10!!! OR LESS!!!!

I am NOT SURE who ever thought that feeding a family FAST FOOD was cheaper than feeding them at home!

EX: Chicken breast baked, with salsa, and black beans. Served with carrots sticks, and green beans on the side. CHEAP AND GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

Even if BK was cheaper to feed your family... in the long run, the health costs would not be!

That sounds like a great deal to me. All that for roundly £7.50?! Bargain!

Why are you so against it? It sounds like a great once a week treat! No one is saying do it every night.

Why do you only consider price and nutrients? What about taste and convenience?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    lettig your family have fast food once in awile is not unhealthy
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You must buy chicken breasts w/ rib meat.... I don't and it is a lot more expensive. I pretty much stick to chicken breast tenderloins for $5/lb. But even w/ that, I am sure I could cook a healthy meal for my family of 6 for under $10 but the 4 kids won't eat it anyways
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Besides trying to position themselves as "cheaper", they are very successful at convincing people to buy into the ease of fast food. Yes, it takes a lot more time for me to cook a "real" meal for my family, but the tradeoff for me to save that time by buying frankenfood is unthinkable. They more I learn about the processing of food in this country, the more I am trying to eat clean and organic when I can. Ick.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like Burger King. The fake smoky taste of their burgers makes me happy.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, did the commercial say anything about it being healthy? Or that it would cost less than a home-cooked meal?
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that the fast food corporations ARE seeing families who eat this stuff ALL THE TIME. I remember as a kid working the drive-thru at an Arbys that we had "regular" customers. I agree that as a fun thing for the kids sometimes, it's not the end of the world. But we have obese, unhealthy families around here for whom that is an absolute staple of their diet. They tend to look down on people like me for "slaving away in the kitchen", but I wouldn't trade them.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I like Burger King. The fake smoky taste of their burgers makes me happy.

It's much better than Wendy's, esp. now that they changed their burger to their Hot'N'Juicy.

Who am I kidding? It's Cook-Out, Taco Bell, or bust for me when it comes to fast food.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    You must buy chicken breasts w/ rib meat.... I don't and it is a lot more expensive. I pretty much stick to chicken breast tenderloins for $5/lb. But even w/ that, I am sure I could cook a healthy meal for my family of 6 for under $10 but the 4 kids won't eat it anyways

I think kids are picky cause you let them be...if you make ONE dinner and tell them eat or go hungry..eventually theyll learn...

I also think there some of us that used to be able to eat that "family meal" at BK by themselves....
  • longoverdue
    longoverdue Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Someone asked me once how I could afford to feed my family of 6 healthier with the higher cost of fruit and veggies. I just looked at them and said I dont buy the junk so it dosent really cost me any more. It really is cheaper to make things from scratch and buying from the local amish veggie stand really helps, but now it is closed for the season.