Senior Golden Sneakers............November

Options

Replies

• pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Kat, I am not an expert. I'm not even losing weight at this point.
    this is what sneakers have advised in the past. First, be careful about keeping your calories too low. Your body will do what it takes to survive, and it percieves the low amount of calories as starvation and will slow your metabolism accordingly. It might be better to try to give yourself more calories some days and less some days. The same with exercise. Change it up a bit. Also, keep in mind that 10,000 steps or more is excellent, but all steps dont burn as many calories as others. Walking thru the house is not as aerobic as walking a dog, even though you may use the same number of steps. Also, you may be at a plateau, and they often will pass, even after a month, with no changes at all, just keeping at it.

Marie, sorry you lost your long post, I miss you!

Had a good day, now its time for a good nap.
    Options
    Kat, I am not an expert. I'm not even losing weight at this point.
    this is what sneakers have advised in the past. First, be careful about keeping your calories too low. Your body will do what it takes to survive, and it percieves the low amount of calories as starvation and will slow your metabolism accordingly. It might be better to try to give yourself more calories some days and less some days. The same with exercise. Change it up a bit. Also, keep in mind that 10,000 steps or more is excellent, but all steps dont burn as many calories as others. Walking thru the house is not as aerobic as walking a dog, even though you may use the same number of steps. Also, you may be at a plateau, and they often will pass, even after a month, with no changes at all, just keeping at it.

Marie, sorry you lost your long post, I miss you!

Had a good day, now its time for a good nap.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,116 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! :bigsmile: 46 degrees so I guess for Chicago weather we are doing good with no snow. :tongue: We have a benefit tonight for the nuns who are our very good friends. Hubby won't be going to I invited Bryanna to take his place. We will go to Woodfield this afternoon to see if either of can find a dress and I saw a winter dress coat that I think I will buy. I had a bad day of eating yesterday and when that happens I feel so bad. The good thing was that I exercised and gained 300 calories but still managed to go over. :explode: Today is a new day, remember One Day at a Time. :heart:

Kat, I have to agree with Phoebe, I do not think you are eating enough for the calories you burn. Your diary is not open so we don't see what you eat but if you are that careful, my guess would be your body is in starvation mode. Here is some good advice from someone on this site explaining why you should eat exercise calories.

I know many people will say "I can't eat my exercise calories, I gain weight when I do". Well I have news for you, that's not correct. I submit this, if you eat your exercise calories and gain weight 1 of 3 things happened:
    1 you were previously in starvation mode, and you upped your calories, and had an immediate weight gain, that's normal, to be expected, and necessary to get your body on track. Give it a month, that will stop, and you, once again, will begin to lose, but this time, in a healthy manner.
    2 you incorrectly calculated something, either your exercise calories, your calorie intake, or you put in to large of a goal. Go back and check all your numbers.
    3 you haven't given it enough time to work. This site promotes HEALTHY weight loss people. Healthy weight loss doesn't happen in days or weeks, it takes months and years. Each change you make in how you eat needs a month or more to work, be patient, give it time. It will happen.

Hope this helps.

Have a good day everyone!!
    Sandy
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Too busy today to read all the posts so I will tomorrow when I have more time. :smooched:

Yesterday was Christmas shopping for me and walked the Mall and stores. I didn't track all day
    and skipped lunch just to get more gifts. Geeesh!!

So when I returned at about 3:45 pm I was starving. Dave says to grab a bagel or
    something. We left at 4:10 to meet our friends for a movie. The Twilight movie,
    Breaking Dawn. Now I am not up to speed on 1 & 2 so my girlfriend said she has
    the DVD's I can borrow to watch. The movie was good, not a real fan on vampire movies.
    Too much blood for me :tongue:
    Didn't track my calories and ate movie popcorn. So good :drinker:

Today is light eating and lots of water and Oolong tea for the waist line.
    Already finished my 25 mins. weights.
    Now have to straighten up the house because we are having company tonight and then going
    to a Greek restaurant for dinner.

See you gals later. :smile:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    KAT, Sandy's post was so accurate it hurts! I told you I would try to find the plan my nutritionist gave me when I went to her having the exact same complaints you have: no matter how I watch intake, and how much I exercise, I cannot lose weight, in fact I gain very easily! Her answer was the same as Sandy"..."You are in protective starvation mode"! Following is the menu plan that got me losing weight again, and I must go back on and follow it again myself! IT WORKS!!!:wink:

Following, recap of my program, which you can build or change.

BREAKFAST
    Fruit serving .....1 Orange, apple, cantaloupe, 1/2 banana, 1/2 grapefruit, honeydew
    Starch..................1 toast, bagel (1/2 or 15 gr), 1/2 english muffin, waffle 4 1/2”, Oatmeal-
    1/4 c dry or 1/2 c cooked.
    Meat.....................2 egg; 1/4 cup 1% cottage cheese; 1/2 c greek NonFat yogurt (1c = 2 servings), 1 egg
    plus 2 eggwhites =2 servings. 4 eggwhites, Canadian bacon
    My favorite breakfasts are : 1 egg, 2 whites omelet filled with wilted spinach. 1 Toufayan SmartBagel...
    1/4 cup 1% cottage cheese (no salt added), 1/2 cup Fage non fat Greek yogurt, 1/2 c blueberries, 1 SmartBagel
    Fat.........................1 margerine 1 tsp, butter 1 tsp, cream cheese 1 TBSP, creamer (2)
    Milk.......................1 1%, 1/2%, or skim (1cup), plain nonfat yogurt (3/4 c), Fruit yogurt w/aspartame-1 cup

FREE FOODS coffee, tea, diet jelly, lemon, diet syrup

snack........................... 1 oz lo sodium cheese, 2 whole grain crackers

LUNCH
    Fruit 1 pineapple, raisins 2 TBSP, Grapes 15 sm, prunes 3
    Vegetables...........2 1/2 c cooked, 1 c raw......gr beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage
    Starch...................1 rice 1/3 c, pasta 1/2 c, bread,wh wheat 1 sl , sandwich thins 1, baked
    potato, 1 small
    Meat.......................3 1 oz lean meat, 1 oz low fat cheese, reduced fat peanutbutter 2TBSP
    Fat 1 margerine 1 tsp, mayonnaise 1 tsp, butter 1 tsp. creamer 2
    Milk ...................... 1% , skim 1 cup, 2 % milk 1 cup (incl 1 fat)
    Free......................... coffee, tea, diet dressing, lettuce salad, broth

snack low fat string cheese, light ‘n’ lively no sugar yogurt

DINNER
    Fruit.........................1 apple, grapes 12-15
    Vegetables...............2 1/2 c cooked, 1 c raw, mushrooms, tomato juice or V8 l/s, tomato
    Meat..........................3 tuna in water 1/4 c, poultry no skin 1 oz, fish 1 oz
    Fat.............................1 avocado 1/5, sour cream 2 TBSP, olives 10 sm, oil 1 tsp, peanuts 10
    Milk........................... 1%, 2%, skim 1 c, L/F buttermilk
    Free Foods................ catsup 1 TBSP, vinegar, whipped topping 2 TBSP 1 cup

***** Protein should be more than sugar.
    At least 3 grams Fiber in nutritional analysis on labels
    Under 5 grams Fat in analyses on labels
    1200 calories
    25 gr fat
    2000 gr sodium

Some things you have to figure out, like how much milk you can have. When you have blood work done, tell your doctor you need to know your calcium count, as mine hovers around 11. So I cannot have too much milk or take calcium pills. And all breads I eat and grains are whole grain and whole wheat! Try for 100%. It’s not a diet, but a lifestyle that is a healthy one! And you may need more than my 1200 calories per day, since you are more active you are, the more calories you require.

Editing this, I see where I have gone completely astray :embarassed: ..No wonder I'm not losing any longer!

I really haven't time to read all the posts I missed this week, so hope to get back later.

Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Oh, and have a Great Sunday, everybody... [img][/img]2130316xl64m9nt9p.gif:wink: :wink: :wink:

Buzz
  • katcoleesp
    katcoleesp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your help and advice...Buzz thanks for the diet plan, that enlightens me a lot..lol.. Sandy and pjsattic thank you so much for your help too!!! I am not giving up, just have t eat a little more and exercise it off.

I went to the vitamin store, read a lot about vitamins, so went and bought some today, put them in a daily container for the week so that will make it easier to remember them all.

I updated my profile just a little added a few pictures of my family, is there a way to add a caption to each photo on here???

I had a foster baby in my care for awhile, we became attached and he left the daycare but he still comes over and stays with us for the weekend or when the foster parents need help. We are having a blast with him this weekend. We had to go to the John Deere company to get his 2nd birthday presents, he loves tractors.

Ok ladies, what is your favorite ( of all time) holiday dessert and why??

Mine is a pumpkin cake, my mother make it back in the 50-60"s, just happy memories of her baking around the holidays.

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening,
    Katherine
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone from chilly Saskatchewan! We did a little shopping for Dave today, very little. The stores were very bust. Apparently no recession here!! I need to start packing so that I see what I need. I know I would like 1 more bathing suit but can live without. I will see how many summer clothes are company friendly.
    Today Neil informed me that he would really like a holiday in the sunshine too, you know! He is fine though and will be well looked after.

Buzz -- looks like a good and simple way to eat. I may give it a try when I return.

Sandy and Phoebe, you are both so helpful. Happy shopping, Sandy.

Welcome, Kaherine. You will love my friends here and if you let them, they will help you a lot. Good luck on this weight loss journey.

I need some positive thoughts and prayers for my dil's mother. She has just been diagnosed with cancer of the brain. Thanks so much.

Take care. Gayla :heart: :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Kate My faveritee dessert is coconut cake. Haven't had any in years. My family faverite is Texas sheet cake. I taught my daughter how. to make them So i don;t have to make it anymore. Anything that got more than 3 ingredient just tax my brain something seriousally
    i got my blocks all sewn together now to get the sashion on and get ready to quit it.

Phoebe you do be careful on the road.

Buzz that sound like it is a good sound diet they put you on. Just might run me a copy pof it and used it for a guide line Thanks for sharing.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Happy Birthday Gayla. well we are anohter year older. I have really enjoy your friendship thru out the years Thanks for always being there. Love Marie I love you a lot.

2496532mz83mfkgou.gif
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,116 Member
    Options
    2929027l3qzv6b2jm.gif

:heart: :heart: :heart: HAPPY BIRTHDAY GAYLA :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Options
    Gayla, Happy Birthday! !
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Gayla. HAVE A SUPER DAY. Phyllis:flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    [img][/img]344992xx7dhhwnwr.gif

Gayla, I hope your birthday is great. I hope your family and friends treat you as great as you treat them. Have a happy day. :bigsmile:
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    [img][/img]1559227xmr8ay638f.gif
    [img][/img]g.gifa.gify.gifl.gifa.gif

And have a great trip, too :wink:
    Buzz
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    We don't have the greatest Internet connection. It cuts in and out. We are snuggled up at a chalet west of Calgary. I thought I'd post a picture I took this morning. We are relaxing with no commitments. How nice.

Jeri from Calgary, Alberta Canada

6372508005_2b7d36ce2f.jpg
    Mountains near Deadman Flats by FancyLady, on Flickr
    Options
    Jeri, that is just gorgeous, Id love to be there, in the chalet that is, looking out at that scene. I wouldnt go if I had to ski though! So good to here from you, hope you feel good.
    Hi Phyllis, so this is a school day, and you are busy, hope you have a great week.
    Marie, your cowboys pulled it off! I didnt listen to the game, Jim did though. I watched the score on our xm satellite radio, it was very close, and overtime too!
    no, I really dont watch football, but cant help but hear about it with my husband such a big fan.
    we are in central Calif. Today. We will unload tomorrow and who knows what after that! Such is our life. I've got some sewing to do today, just patching. I got a navy mini gingham check poly/cotton blend on sale the other day. My plan is to make a new backing for our comforter in the truck. Now I wish I had gotten flannel, that would have been toasty. The gingham was on sale 1.5p per yard. They had 10.5 yds left and I got it all. It wouldnt do to fool with it while we are in the truck, no sewing machine.
    Hopefully, the patches will hold up until Christmas.
    have a good day/night
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good evening senior friends,

Kat, thanks for the info on the cologne for my granddaughter.

Gayla, happy birthday, our anniversary is today and we had a great day, hope you did too.

Today we went to church and there was a pot luck afterwards and the meal was great. We then visited with a young friend who thinks of us like her second parents, and she gave us a nice card and a gift certificate for a local restaurant. We were surprised as we haven't know her but a couple of months at the most. She thinks we are great and we think the same about her.
    We went shopping and bought my son 2 more pairs of shoes as a christmas present. Then I finished most of the christmas shopping. I bought some gift cards for dinners for 8 people so far. I also bought them all a little something to open on Christmas too. I wrapped everything as we are going to take this to Spokane when we go there on Wed. This will save on the postage as long as we will be there anyway. We are looking forward to Thanksgiving with family and friends, so far 16 to 20 people will be there. I love it when there are so many and everyone has fun visiting each other.

Tomorrow we are meeting friends for lunch to celebrate our anniversary (46 yrs). Then I think I will finish my Christmas shopping and be done. Next week I will address the Christmas cards and have them ready.
    Our quilting guild is raffeling a extra large queen size sampler quilt. On Dec. 2 I have to go to a craft sale and sell tickets all day. So far I have sold $155.00 in tickets and 3 other people have sold $200.00 all together. I hope to sell $200.00 more at the craft sale. The quilt is worth hundreds of dollars.

Well, must go, have a good evening and see you all here tomorrow.
    Chris
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Buzz I am unable to copy your diet It pick up the entire day. My computer been doing some strange things today. If you get a chance would you or someone send me a PM of it. Or post it to our recipe

Phoebe, Hey them Cowboys done all right nearly gave me a heart attack. You will be busy sewing when you get home. Hope new york lose tonight so that will put Cowboys in the number one Spot. I tool a double does of my water pills and it was making me go all day. So much trouble. Think I will go grab me a cup of coffee It turn cooler and rainy today.

Jeri that picture of the mts. are so unsual It looks like it is in another world. Love it.

Sandy how long will you have to nurse Babe. Hope he is not in too much pain. Has he been up walking yet?
    Your sister sound like she is in fine spirit. Thats good. Sending a prayer to you all.

Irene How are you doing? post when you get a chance.I really missed you.

Philis it seems so strange to have to work on Sunday. And school at that.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Buzz i fianally got a copy of your diet
    I need to break it down. into how many fruit a day how much prptein a day and how much starch a day. hoe much veggies and etc. That will gie me somethin to work on Thin I will try it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes Thanks for sharing.
    Marie