Senior Golden Sneakers............November

Options

Replies

• katcoleesp
    katcoleesp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!! so many wonderful welcoming words from the ladies, thank you so much, very heartwarming!!!!
    some ladies asked me to post something about myself. I am 53 yrs old, my birthday is December 13. I was born on A Friday the 13th, so maybe that is where I get my sweetness and vinegar personality...lol..
    I have 2 grown sons, both live in the Dallas area. I have 3 granddaughters ages are 17, 10 and 1 1/2. I remarried 4 1/2 yrs ago after being single 17 yrs. He has 3 grown children 28, and the twins are 25 and no grandchildren on his side.
    We live in the country on 13 acres, I moved to a TINY town where my husband had a home and I rent my (old) home out.
    We have 3 dogs that love to roam the countryside, Bubba, Duke and Charlie all male lab mixed.
    I still work ( from home) I am a Licensed Daycare provider and I have 10 kids, spent 20+ years in retail management, getting too old to unload semis..lol so 2 1/2 yrs ago I remodeled the 2 car garage into a gigantic room for the kids. I do 95% of all the remodeling at home and that's a long story on all that I can do, self taught...lol..and I love it.

Well ladies there is my bio...lol..I am going to have to get a notebook and write down all of the people on here to keep track of who is who, hope everyone has a great tomorrow, time for a shower after my Wii fit plus exercising and then bedtime, I get up at 4am to start my day!!

Night-night
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hey Jeri...[img][/img]941300jo0y28otus.gif
    so glad the treatments are OVER! Before you know it, you'll be taking gorgeous pictures again, and revelling in those lovely babies! And isn't that little strawberry a doll :wink:

You, too, Marie...have a wonderful night and see you tomorrow; cool nights sound wonderful after your burning summer!

Kat, I assumed you live near your sons in Dallas, but I see you are a Kansas gal! You are one busy lady, and very ambitious. Most of us have posted profiles on our home page, which you will be able to look at if you ever find the time! And you've plenty of company on this board of dog lovers!

I did get to make my Steak Diane tonight and I thought it was delicious. Of course I added no salt but with the dijon mustard, it wasn't missed at all! However, although to me the steak was tender as could be, poor Mike could not chew it! I'm so glad my parents were fussy about my dental care, as at 84 I have all my own teeth. He has none of his own, just a set of false teeth which cause him no end of trouble. I guess it has to do with receding bone in the jaw, but everybody, treasure your teeth, and do whatever it takes to keep them! He says eating steak is like trying to cut meat with spoon! I shall warm turkey balls when I reheat my leftover steak!

Off to bed, and tomorrow is another day...
    [img][/img]2997643y1q73mpksy.gif
    Buzz
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: buzz, yes, the dental problems are probably due to bone loss. I have never had steak diane. Guess I will look it up. Love your rose !!! My husband, also get Cooks Illustrated. It is so educational. Can learn all sorts of cooking ideas.

:flowerforyou: katcoleesp, you are quite a woman to be able to care for ten children. Thank you for letting us get to know you.

:flowerforyou: AWWW Marie...we are having great weather. Highs in the 60s for the next two days. Then, the rain returns. Hopefully, the weather man is wrong about Wednesday.

:flowerforyou: Jeri, I am so glad that your treatments are done. Get to feeling better, OK?
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Good morning Kat. I forgot to mention I live in Mesquite Texas Just outside of Dallas. What a smart girl you are . remodeling things around your house. I don't think I could handle 10 kids nor would I want to. I am afraaid they would get on my nerves. After seeing how the kids act out in public especially walmart. The parents just let them act terrible. They have no control over them.

WhAt a pretty rose Buzz. You do A lot more cooking than I do. All of your foods sounds so good. We are surpose to have rain today and tomorrow. Sure hope so.

Becky my dear how are you this morning> Its always so good to see you the first thing in the morning. . I have no plans today. . Going out for sinner later on. A BBQ place. Will have to leave the bun off.

Chris you and your husban stay so busy. This Daylight saving time is hard to get adjusted to. Although we are in our real time now. Yesterday seems like such a long day.

Sandy did you get that birthday of Kat Dec 13 Kat we have a birthday list of all of us the link to it is on Sandy Signature and our recipe link is on mine I really think we need a thread for the senor jokes we been getting so many cute ones Love them. Bring a smile to me. and a good laught. Laugter is a good medicine.
    Well I have ramble on so i will sign off.
    :heart: Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,116 Member
    Options
    529624dgtzmz33zz.gif

h.gifa.gifp.gifp.gify.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifb.gifi.gifr.gift.gifh.gifd.gifa.gify.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifempty.gifm.gifa.gifr.gifi.gife.gif
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIE !!!!!!:wink:

WELCOME KAT !!!

Our weekend away was fun. We got to the hotel about 3:00 pm for check in and we got our
    bathing suits on and went to the hot tub. Ahhhhhhh.
    We took a quick dip in the pool to cool down. Lots of kids there because of a hockey tournament.
    Then we took a shuttle bus to the restaurant which was pretty posh. Nice dinner and drank too
    much wine. They kept filling your glass and I don't know how much I consummed.
    I should no better. :tongue: My bad

The next morning we had a nice breakfast and then headed home. We stopped at my nephews
    to see the twins who are 7 now. Visited for a while then headed home. All in all a great weekend. :bigsmile:
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Wow.  I can sit here with my cup of coffee and I don't have to rush out the door to go to the cancer clinic. What a treat. We always had the stress of not knowing what the traffic would be like so we always had to leave early. Aaaaaaaaah, ........sitting and enjoying my coffee. 

Thanks Marie for both the well wishes and the comment on our little strawberry who is just so cute. And Happy Birthday!!!!

Kat, is that what we call you?   You sound like a busy woman. Good for you.   And doing the remodeling yourself, that is fantastic. You are a take charge woman for sure. You'll fit in very well with the rest of us. 

Buzz, thank you sooo much. Beautiful graphics. How do you  make Steak Diane?  I know I've heard of it?

Thanks Becky. I'm sure I'll be feeling good in no time at all.  We are going away in a week or two for a little mini vacation. That will perk me up for sure.   You say your husband gets Cooks Illustrated. Does he do the cooking??  I sure wish my sweetie was handy in the kitchen. He can't cook much but he sure is nice. LOL

Gayla, I am sorry I have been so remiss in replying to your good wishes.  How is the snow in Saskatchewan. Do you have any yet?  Our streets are now clear but it is hanging around in the shaded areas still.    Good for Neil starting bowling.   We are hoping to get to the Maritimes this summer too.  However, probably only Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. My husband is from Nova Scotia and we have good friends in Newfoundland. We had hoped to get there this summer but my darn breast cancer got in the way. I love PEI.  What a great place to visit.  

Phoebe, I'll have to check out that link to the recipes. My favorite reading material. LOL

I know I've missed some of you, but it is a start. Have a great day everyone. 
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Jeri, my husband will order any cooking magazine or book that is offered to him. He collects them. I think that he would like to think of himself as a chef but I do the cooking. He may cook one or two meals a month and he is always making cookies.:grumble: You should so good, so positive. :happy:

:flowerforyou: Wow Shirley....they kept refilling your wine glasses?? Did they also charge you for each of them? In case anyone is interested, I read yesterday that two (and only two) glasses of wine a day for a woman can make her sex life better.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIE. Where will you be going for your "sinner" ? I have to tease you about that one. Anyway, have a wonderful evening.

My co-worker quit today. I didn't think that he would last long as this job is rather hard and he was rather old. So, we are looking once again for a new employee.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    WELL, MARIE ...you're catching up to me today :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    [img][/img]2929027l3qzv6b2jm.gif
    Have a wonderfu day, a wonderful year, and we all know you know how to enjoy life!

Becky, your hubby is a person after my own heart; I read Cook's Illustrated the same way I read a book: for the sheer joy of reading!
    I'll try to get that recipe posted, as it was quite tasty! Especially if you like mushrooms. I had no brandy so I used Shiraz Cabernet, and not being a gourmand, I didn't know the difference!

Sandy, so clever with graphics, as usual! I'll never catch up :ohwell:

Shirley, your weekend sounds like such fun. I appreciate your ability to enjoy every day!

Jeri, since you and Becky have both asked, I'll post the Steak DIane. In my lost "reply", I mentioned my late husband was a great
    cook, and his favorite recipe was a very rich steak Diane! Mine is a bit healthier! So glad your free of the radiation appointments now!

Buzz [img][/img]1603841chymuya259.gif
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Steak Diane -servings 4---Prep Time 35 minutes/ Total Time 35 minutes

1 lb boneless strip steak, top loin, about 3/4" thick
    1/4 tsp ground pepper, or more to taste
    (1/8 tsp salt) optional...I added garlic
    1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
    3 cups mushrooms...mixed ****ake, oyster, cremini, and white (or your preference)
    1/2 c brandy...(I used Shiraz Cabernet wine, about 1/4 cup)
    15 oz reduced sodium beef broth (Kitchen Basics no salt added?)
    1 tsp soft butter
    1 tsp all purpose flour
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    Optional chopped fresh chives for topping when serving

Season steaks both sides
    Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Reduce to medium, add steaks cook about 3 minutes per side for medium.
    Transfer to plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
    ADD mushrooms to pan and cook, stirring til golden brown and beginning to release juices, about 3 minutes.
    ADD brandy or wine and cook, stirring, until almost eveaporated ...then add broth, bring to a boil, cook 8-10 minutes til reduced.
    MEANWHILE, mash flour and soft butter with fork into a paste. WHISK mustard into pan when sauce is reduced about half, and ADDthe butter/flour paste , whisking a bit at a time until sauce thickens.
    REDUCE heat to medium low, return steak to pan, along with any accumulated juices, turn to coat with sauce, and cook
    until heated through.
    Top steak with sauce, add chives if wanted, and serve.
    CAL. 284...Total fat,11 g...Sat Fat, 3g...monounsaturated fat, 5g... Chol.52mg,...sodium (with salt added) 187...Carb. 5g...Fiber.1g...Protein. 25 g..,Potassium 508mg...Exchanges: Medium -fat Meat 3

Hope you like it. It's easier than it seems!
    Buzz
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, DEAR MARIE!!

my cell phone was dead, and the charger broken, so I just got my pc turned on.
    we are home, one kitty is awol, the rest are fine.

got some things to do, Marie, have a great bbq meal, I love bbq chicken etc, but I don't eat much bbq sauce.. about a teaspoon.

take care
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,116 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! :bigsmile: I have had a busy day with doctor appointments, first with the foot doctor for a :blushing: fungus on my big toenails which fell off. :sick: She gave me some medicine and said they will be fine, but then checked my bunions which I told her they don't hurt so I don't want surgery and finally found out I have flat feet which could be contributing to my back pain. :huh: My hubby also had an appointment to check his last foot incident and since his toe is so deformed she is suggesting more surgery to fix the problem, she would have to remove a screw she has in there from his first surgery years ago. :noway: I then went to see my knee doctor since my knees and legs have been really hurting lately. He told me two years ago to have my knee replaced but I have been putting it off and again I told him I have to still think about it because my hubby needs surgery first since he is in pain. My left knee is bone on bone but my right knee hurts more. He said any pain from the knee down is from my knee but anything above that is probably my back, which I think is sciatica. With surgery I can't drive for 4 weeks and of course there would be physical therapy so who know how long I will be out of commission. My granddaughter has Pom competition starting in December but we would like to go away in March so I just don't know about surgery at this time. He asked me three questions to determine if I need it now, do I sleep well at night and for the most part I do, do I do cardio exercise which I do with the stationary bike and walking and is the pain under control, which it is more or less although the sciatica doesn't help. He said the one thing that saves me is because I am thin, for over weight people it is much harder on the knees. So I am glad I lost the weight and try to exercise for more reason than one.

I don't want this to really be a book so I will come back later to address everyone.

Hope you are having a wonderful birthday Marie. :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    830682zhs68ovvt7.gif

Marie, I hope your birthday is as wonderful as you are :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: you deserve the best.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: you are always so kind to everyone:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    ****MARIE**** HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:

Katcoleesp ~ Welcome and great to read about such a busy lady!

Jeri ~ That little strawberry is just gorgeous and sweet enough to eat!!!:love: Delighted to read you've had your last treatment, that is such good news and obviously a huge relief. Get back out with that camera and start posting those amazing photos just as soon as you can.

Becky ~ My supply of eggs tends to follow the weather at the moment. We had warm sunshine over the weekend and my amber rock Millie laid and so did one of my new girls, a bantham white sussex called Bunty. Just a small egg from her but they are delicious. I had a couple of buff Orpingtons a couple of years ago. Delightfully gentle birds, I adored them!

Phoebe ~ Good luck catching that naughty boy Bruiser because he'll know what you have in mind before you think it. Cats are like that!! I managed to avoid dropping anything on my foot as I worked at the weekend but my back is telling me I overdid things but I'm swimming with my friends first thing tomorrow and that usually eases aches and pains after a few lengths!

Today it feels as if the temperature has dropped about 10 degrees and I'm almost into winter clothes. I picked a bowl of crab apples and cooked them up until soft enough to put into a muslin bag. The juice is going to drip overnight and tomorrow I will make crab apple jelly. It's lovely with lamb and chicken. Shhh, don't tell my chooks!!!:laugh: :laugh:

That's it, time for my bed. Keep well everyone.

Jackie
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I want to thank Barbiecat AND JAKE FOr CALLING ME and singing Happy Birthday to me. It was lovely hearing Barbiecat voice on the phone. Thank you both. very lovely.

I want to Thank all the rest of you for wishing me a happy Birthday you Seniors are the best.

We did go out and eat and I ate like it was my birthday We had a coupon buy one get one free. . We went to Randy White BBQ place. he was one of our better former football star player for Dallas. It was out of this world So tender you could cut it with a fork. Wonderful beocoli salad An Red beans. That boy knows how to put a meal together. And top it off with peach cobbler and icecream. Bad girl But it was worth it. All of that for 15.00 for Jerry and me.What a deal. What a way to gain weight.and blood sugar goes up. Well all of that can be taken care of.Will have to take a dose of my fast acting insulin. And hope for the best in the morning.

Just hope I can sleep tonight.
  • katcoleesp
    katcoleesp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies!!!!!

Happy Birthday Marie, hope you had a wonderful birthday. :smile:

We sure have the thunderstorms out there tonight and high winds, we live on a hill outside of Topeka, KS ( do not like Topeka at all..lol) and the winds are much stronger up here than in town. Raining something fierce as well, we need the rain.

Husband is retiredafter working for 31 yrs for the city and he is going to help me with the daycare, so the inspector will come out tomorrow and re-inspect everything so I can go "group" and have 3 more kids, total 13!! He is taking a course tonight to qualify and I am cleaning and dusting and exercising on my WIi fitness plus, I really like the fitness plus dvd, has so much on there a person will never get bored..and the muscles hurt which I need...lol..

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening and a great tomorrow.
    Kat...(Katherine)
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Becky.  Cookbooks are my favorite reading material too. Too bad I never make anything out of them. I usually go to the Internet instead. LOL

Buzz, thanks for posting that recipe. Sounds delicious. 

Sandy you are having quite the time. Good luck with all your health issues. You are right it is so fortunate you are so slim and trim. 

Jackie.  I love crabapple jelly.  Yummmmmmy

Kat. Good luck to you and your husband with your renos.  That's a lot of kids. Good for you. 

Marie. Glad you had a good birthday. You are such an inspiration to me. 

We had a great time over at our daughter's place today. We babysat 5 of the kids. The baby and the two year old were priceless. But then so were the twins and the 6 year old. Love them so much. 

Here's our 6 yr old tooth fairy. 

6325136344_f76775840d.jpg
    The tooth fairy by FancyLady, on Flickr

Have a great night. 
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. We were away all day and have watched TV all evening. I wanted to post on Marie 's special day!

Marie -- I hope you had a wonderful birthday today. Sorry I am so late. :heart: :heart: Gayla :happy: :heart:
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Jeri- so glad th your treatments are over. I htink about you a lot and wonder just how you do it.

Becky. I go to the internet a lot to find recipes too. yesterday I found one for zuchinni/oatmeal muffins. they turned out very tasty. I threw in a hand full of raisins too.

Buzz,Wonder if I could use that recipe with Lamb meat??? I have a ton of that in my freezer now. Sure would like to use it up.Not sure how it would go with mushrooms but isn't anything good with mushrooms! I think so.

Sandy I had no idea you had any trouble with your knees. My dad had both of his replaced years and years ago. My sister jsut had her replaced and her husband as well. My grandma had knee problems too. I think it runs in my family. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Jackie. The crabapple jelly sounds yummy. Maybe that would be a good thing to use with this lamb meat. But the problem is I don't have any crabapples!

Kat. I used to have day care when I was young and stayed at home. It was nice for my own kids to have play mates. Now I am teaching school so I have 9 year olds to deal with every day. I have a good group this year though and I count my blessings for that. They are kids from all over the world. It is lovely to deal with so many different cultures. But not so fun to write report cards which I have been doing the past few days in between entertaining my sons girlfriend and her mother!!

Marie. Happy Belated Birthday from the land of the pyramids. All of us ancients over here say HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ~ YOU!

Becky - YOU amaze me with your knowledge of birds. I don't even know what some of your feathers friends are. LOL

Phoebe ~ Hope you are having a good day. Love your stories.

Barbie - Did I tell you my team won the wellness challenge for the month of October. This month we are doing another challenge by keeping track of our steps and so far our team is in second place. It is a fun way to keep the faculty connected and fit.

Last day of my 5 day holiday and I am sad to have to return to school tomorrow. I wonder if I should retire. I seem to like the days off better than the days teaching. Surely after report cards and parent conferences are past I will feel better about my profession.

o.k. Breakfast time here in Cairo so I will stop and head to the kitchen and stir up some grub. Phyllis
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Hi everyone, not much going on here, just getting awake.

Jeri, thanks for your wonderful photos, I just love them. The toothfairy is a doll, and what a cute idea!!

Phyllis, it is so interesting to hear about your life!! I know teaching may get tiresome, but my guess is you do a great job, and are very much appreciated. I have no idea about lamb, I've never cooked any.

Yes, I'm in the crowd of people who collect cookbooks and just read them.. lol, I have tried so many recipes and had them fail or seem a little 'off', that I just don't try much new stuff, unless it is only for me.. like the crustless pumpkin pie!!

Believe it or not, Cooks Illustrated was unfamiliar to me until Buzz mentioned it. In the grocery store yesterday, I found two magazines related to cooks ill. They are Very informative, and the recipes all sounded great. One was country cooking and the other was holiday cooking. They have good tips in them.

Sandy, with your knee at bone against bone, does exercise aggravate that? I hope you can hold out until a better time for you.

Work has just announced that this years' Christmas Angel Tree project will be focused on deployed soldiers and their families. A great idea!! So today, I need to get some gifts for the packages going to be shipped soon to the soldiers. Then I think we will be helping the families here at home. I love this idea.
    The soldiers love protein bars, so that means a trip to BJ's wholesale club for the 'big box'.

I like seeing so much focus on our veterans this week. There are so many veterans in our country, and there will be so many more in the future.

hope you all have a great day