you named your kid what???

Options

Replies

• rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I was looking at lists of kids names once in my old school and there was a kid called Romello Shakespeare. wtf?
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I knew a Lily Padd once. Her brother was Maxwell Padd.
    Worked with a Holy Maan once.
    Worked with a Dragon Satan as well.

Almost forgot we had a customer with the name Starla (Starr) Child.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    A colleague's wife works in a hospital and had to talk a new mother out of calling her daughter "chlamydia", which she thought was a flower!
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I work with a William Williams

Best friends dad was Pete Peters

The guy who was the janitor of my high school was a Pete Peters!
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    ****ona(pronounced "*kitten*-on-ya"),
    tequilla & margarita(not kidding, and they are twin sisters),
    Afilia Bottom(pronounces "i'll-feel-ya bottom"),
    Rytchus,
    Pluysenta(pronounced "placenta")
    Bufanaquishria,
    Elephantisha,
    la-uh(pronounced "luh-dash-uh"),
    Unidastazovamerikaliqua(yeah i still cant pronounce this one lol we just call her "you-ee")
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    What I don't get is people using unusual spellings for a name that already has a standard spelling. It just makes everyone's life harder. It's really stupid..

Yes! My name is Casey. Simple, standard, traditional spelling. But because dumb parents everywhere had to get cute and start spelling it with a K or -ie instead of -ey, my perfectly normal name is constantly being spelled in ways that makes me want to punch people. Every time I go to Starbucks, it never fails that a male barista will spell my name the right way without me having to tell him, but the chicks always spell it "Kacey" or "Casie" or (the most ridiculous attempt yet) "Kayci." It drives me absolutely nuts. I have actually started using fake names like Tiffany or Angela. They don't always spell those right either, but since that's not really my name, it doesn't bother me as much.

Totally feel for you on that. My girlfriend is called Jane. A more 'normal' name you could scarcely think of. Even so, a certain pizza takeaway near our old flat used to constantly spell it Jayne and once even put James! That went down well as you can imagine!

I would always assume the spelling is the most common/traditional one and that if it is not, the person will tell me so. I'm sure people called Kayci would be far less offended at it being written Casey, especially if they didn't spell it out at the time.

why does this matter so much? why can't people accept others' decisions to be unique and do whatever they want? the "most common/traditional" or "standard" way of spelling a name is usually considered the "best" by ethnocentric people. the problem i see is that many white Americans are terribly dismissive of trying to spell and/or pronounce names that are not the "most common/traditional" Eurocentric names. and people wonder why the rest of the world thinks we're so ignorant in the U.S.

sure, these posts are all in fun, but i think we should also be reminded of the assumptions about people's abilities and intelligence that go into our judgements based on their names. what's so "stupid" about spelling Kayci in that manner?

ahahahaha! there has to be one in every crowed!!! this is just a fun post...people misspell and mispronounce my name ALL the time and i dont get butt hurt about it...clam down this is just for fun!:flowerforyou:
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Zephaniah Butsco and Diarrhea (pronounced die-a-ray-a....) if my name was diarrhea I would certainly change it. My name is MacKenzie and I have been told it is weird but I don't think it is. And I don't care how silly some may find it but I love the name Sunshine for a girl. But my fiance is in disagreement, lol.
  • Katerbuggs
    Options
    My uncle just recently (about a two years ago) found out he had a son and the mother named him Stone. Can you imagine?
    "Yeah I'm getting Stone this weekend." "Dude, you shouldn't go around telling people that..." Lol.
    When he got custody, we all started calling him Mikey (middle name is Michael) and he's still young so he's adjusted very well to it, thank god.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    CRAZIEST name I have ever come across working in the Emergency Room we see LOTS OF PEOPLE...

brace yourself.... make sure your sitting down... :D

Godsgift ( 1 word no spaces )

REALLY! reaaaaaalllly! OK coool...

i think the baby's middle name was like Treasure or Miracle.
  • Katerbuggs
    Options
    I once conducted business with a lady named Dorcas Bushrod.
    Dorcas is actually a Biblical name and if I remember correctly, God changed her name to Tabitha. But yeah, I remember thinking in Sunday School, "Even GOD thought the parents were dumb for naming her that." xD
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My oldest son had a classmate named Blanca (white). She was black. I always felt a little sorry for her.

My name is Bianca and it means white as well and I'm black.
    So what does that suppose to mean? Black people can have good names? We're suppose to have black names like "Shuntay" and "Kiesha"? Oh better yet we're suppose to have names like Negro because it matches our color?

I think bianca is a gorgeous name, I've always loved it. Blanca and Bianca both mean white, but are also just names! My name means handsome, most names technically mean something but they are also just names.
  • Katerbuggs
    Options
    My oldest son had a classmate named Blanca (white). She was black. I always felt a little sorry for her.

So what does that suppose to mean? Black people can have good names? We're suppose to have black names like "Shuntay" and "Kiesha"? Oh better yet we're suppose to have names like Negro because it matches our color?
    I don't think they were trying to be racist. I think they were just commenting on the irony of it. Like my cousin has a pet turtle named Fluffy.
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think I can top all of you....Gruvy nipples, freakus palekus, and ocean moon...all people that lived in the city I grew up in. Only in CA! lol
  • tracey2710
    tracey2710 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Couple of contacts for a company I worked for:
    1. Elvis - okay not a strange one but we had some fun with the tannoy everytime he "left the building"
    2. *kitten* Farqhuar - seriously - WTF :laugh:
  • karyngrace
    karyngrace Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    chezarne caffteine, honae (hon-nay) haylin, bonyo, dusty, forrestor, tyranny, storm, zion, claudeland,babe, ninfa, ganesh, davini, bik (bee-kay) siutasia(see-you-tayzha) hakei, tuva, po, taoeo (tay-o) are all people i have known. I work with a lot of samoans, tongans and philipino people so strange names don't really shock me these days! haha!
  • rebecca_lc28
    rebecca_lc28 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCvfW82yOCw ..... COPE THE LINK AND WATCH this video is really great for this topic & its soooo funny its a guy called kinsley and the video is called YOUR BABY'S NAME IS RIDICULOUS.. before you watch it it dose contain swear words so if you take offence to them i advise you not to watch but if you have a sense of humour watch it because its just hilarious!!!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Went to school with a girl named "Ash-oh-lee" except it was spelled a s s h o l e
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    I know a Gitane (french cigarette), a Caslon (like the typeface), and a Merlot (like the wine). All girls.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options

I don't think they were trying to be racist. I think they were just commenting on the irony of it. Like my cousin has a pet turtle named Fluffy.

^^ Exactly. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. And I thought Bianca means "Pure".
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    A friend named her child Myworld!! Come on, why would you do that, trust me we did try to tell her NO!! but what can one do.