Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    A few I've seen

John Johnson
    Robert Roberts
    Gage Hurt
    Aspen Skye
    and a little girl named kender, meaning redneck spelled backwards

one of my high school friends was Jonathan Johnson and he went by John or Johnny all through school...
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Just recently I found out that on 11-11-11 a baby was born and they named the kid after a character from a video game (Skyrim).
    It was for a freaking contest!!!!!!! The name itself is odd... Dovahkiin. The mother isn't even into gaming... not sure about the father and they have won FREE games for life from the game company.

I feel sorry for the kids & would sure 'nuff like to smack some peoples parents.
    No surprise why some kids hate their parents.

I did go to school with a couple of girls with, what I think, are pretty names.
    Charity Faith & Patience Hope

article source: http://www.odditycentral.com/funny/couple-name-baby-after-skyrim-win-free-video-games-for-life.html

my middle name is Hope, which was unique growing up...but my brother used to call me Hopeless which kinda scarred me for life ;) ...on the other hand, his middle name is Richard, so you can guess what I called him growing up...LOL...
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    my name is Trixy, and i named my daughter Heaven Chantelle, after some people tha i looked up to when i was younger. her name translates "the song of where God lives". im one of those parents
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    my boss' name is john johnson.
    sounds fake. lol
  • argharna
    Options
    before I had kids I was going to give them all greek god names. then I had planned to name my daughter magenta (from rocky horror picture show) but named her Arabella Hermione not because of Harry Potter she goes by Bella. My ex wanted to name our son Jack Daniels I was able to get him to go with Justin Douglass. and my yougest is Makayla Geanna. so none of them are wild any
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Family friends kids are Dartanyon Orion and Scarlette Raine. I think they are beautiful, but yes, quite unique.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If I had a kid I would name them water bottle
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    What then about Ckhristophpher?
    Sure, Christopher is a good name but... why make it so damn difficult to write?
  • sarajean_91
    Options
    One of my friends had a daughter and named her Summer Rayne. I kinda like the name actually.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What then about Ckhristophpher?
    Sure, Christopher is a good name but... why make it so damn difficult to write?

Geez, where did they get that spelling from?
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    i can't stand obscure names. Esp weirdly spelt ones.

A lady I knew named her daughter Charlette... yes charlette... not charlotte... Ok i get it phonetic it, but still pita. I could go on lol.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Bowan (as if that is even a name) Arrowsmith
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    A dentist - Dr D'Eathe. Ok it's his surname but maybe he should have been a librarian.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Haha, It sets the bar really high!
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    A dentist - Dr D'Eathe. Ok it's his surname but maybe he should have been a librarian.

At uni I had an American friend named forest who was seriously studying forestry :/ haha!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    When I was doing home daycare, the Child Development Center office kept a list of people looking for childcare. We could go in, look at the list and call them if we had spaces available. There was a kid on the list named Nemesis. I realllly wanted to call and ask them if they were into Greek mythology or just didn't plan on ever getting along with the kid.

I went to middle school with a girl named Thunderflower.

That's better than Thunderthighs.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    As I say to my pupils who laugh at foreign names in textbooks, your name probably sounds silly somewhere too.

Case in point:

My Spanish colleague, Irene Llada. Say it in Japanese and it sounds like 'Don't put it in, that's horrible'. Dh and I have laughed over this many times.

We wanted to name our son Kent, but to my dad, and his generation, that's too strange (in the UK, I'm guessing it's ok in the States). So we went for Christian instead (my dad's an atheist but didn't seem to mind).

I like the name Hana (flower in Japanese) and would use that over the more traditional spelling.

Names can be funny, but I hope I can avoid laughing at people because of their names.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    What annoys me is when people do it just to be different. If that's what you want change your own name, it's easy enough to do! Don't try to use your children to express yourself. They'll only resent you for it when the other kids rip them at school.
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    What annoys me is when people do it just to be different. If that's what you want change your own name, it's easy enough to do! Don't try to use your children to express yourself. They'll only resent you for it when the other kids rip them at school.

I agree. I don't understand having a weird name to stand out. We had maybe 5 kids in my year at school with odd names and they did stand out but not in a good way! They got teased so much in younger years at school that by the time they reached the older years they were more than a little bit quirky to say the least (maybe this would have happened anyway, who knows, but I do think school experience helps shape the person you become and your insecurities). I think it is really sad. I would have thought the better way to have them stand out would be to teach them ideals that made them stand out above the rest later on in life, when it is important.