you named your kid what???

Options

Replies

• jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There's a kid in my town named Fellony. Sadly, at 16 he's already living up to his name.

I'm all for unique names (as a Jennifer, I can definitely see the appeal in a unique name), and I generally like (or at least respect) the biblical/religious names, as well as the foreign names. But some of them...I just can't get past them. And the thing is, the statistics show that people with "weird" names (and I don't mean "foreign") do not fare as well in adulthood. They are less likely to get an interview (let alone a job). They are less likely to succeed in a great number of areas. There are a lot of theories as to why (some people say it's a racial thing -- the bosses, etc. assume the person is black; some say that if the person can't pronounce the name, they are less likely to call to set up an interview; they get teased so much as kids that they have a lower self-esteem; and a hundred other theories/reasons). The movie Freakanomics did a great piece on this subject, in fact. So, really, I just kinda feel bad for these kids.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Oh god, that lady should have taped a map of the world on her ceiling 9 kids ago then at least she could be consistent naming her kids after countries rather than intermingling in continents.

And doubling up.. last time I looked Rome, Sicily, Paris and London were all in Europe :tongue: That's not a wierd family dynamic at all!
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Okay, so am I the only person who hears the name someone gave their child or you meet someone and they tell you their name and you wonder, what is the parent/s thinking??

case in point: a girl I went to uni with. (in the USA). her name was Abcde (pronounced ab-sa-dee). really??? I mean, come on!

anyone else hear any crazy names that just made you scratch your head in disbelief?

hecky naw..... so funny
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    omg... you guys stories are so funny....
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I work mainly with newborns, and see some really ridiculous names. Life, Charm, Precious (before the movie), Princess... the list goes on.

Precious is a common name in Africa.. I think this is the thing - the world is getting smaller and the lines between cultures are getting blurred, so names that one culture finds pretentious may be really normal in another culture. Parents need to man up though, and consider how that child will be treated at school etc. Adults can hold their tongues, but kids? Why make your childresn's lives harder than they have to be?
  • charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i havent really herd any weird names here altho my aunty was called fanny used to always make me giggle when i was little lol

i knew a girl at school who was called rosie co ck poor girl got stick for it all thro school

my kids are called kemi and torren no1 up here has ever herd their names i love them suits them both well
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i really like classic names, so there are many times where i'm like, "oh, how unique" and really mean "ewww, what's wrong with you"

i named my son david and the next boy (due march) will be alexander. classic and go anywhere in life names. i don't want my kid to go looking for a job and be like "mom, what were you thinking?"... I actually met someone recently that wants to name a boy achilles, i was like "he died. young. why? we don't live in ancient greece!"

I hear you!

My son's name is also David and my daughters name is Fiona. Fiona is a bit more unusual, but at least it doesn't sound like it's a made up name. (she's named after my sister.)

I also like traditional names, my boys are David and Sam. not that I'm religious or anything. Interestingly I think they are pretty much the only David and Sam in the school. Fiona was a very common name when I was young (in Scotland), in my own group of friends there were about six of them.

I did nearly call my son William Wallace (after both his grandfathers) but it was too soon after Braveheart and I just couldn't do it to him.
  • Gemma_Moo
    Options
    I like unusual names apart from when they are taken too far and the child isnt thought about.

My daughters are called Anelise (Annalise) but hubby wanted to call her Elise which i didn't like so we compromised plus she really suits her name and my youngest is called Alyssa, love ths name and its a nice girly pretty name :) x
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    My daughter is River Bryndolyn, so I'm one of those parents. I think her name is lovely, and suits her perfectly.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I have a friend whose kids are Hadessa and Miriam....they're both under 3. She's pregnant again; what will she name this one =-0

Both are Hebrew. Hadessa was Esther's name before she changed it to hide her true identity. It means Myrtle (like the tree). Miriam was the sister of Moses and Aaron, the meaning is uncertain, as it can be viewed as "Rebellious" or "Sea of Bitterness". Both women were strong matriarchs in the Bible, your friend probably hoped some of those attributes would be bestowed upon her daughters.
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Work in a birthing center. Here is a list of just a few that come to mind:
    Lake and Tree (not too bad but my co-workers wondered if they would have trouble getting jobs)
    Satan (Pronounced suh- tan but everyone knows its still the devil)
    Fear
    Lestat (Was a fan of Ann Rice)
    Vinyl (Daddy owned a flooring company)
  • tiffanymjutz
    Options
    My science teacher in high school said he wanted to name his kids nucleos and molecule lol. I'm not sure if he ever had kids, but I hope not
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It was the mother trying to make the name special. She got a daily fine though, it wasn't allowed to have this spelling. The kid was no baby, I don't know the rest of the story..

ETA: I apparently didn't get the quote - I was responding to the response about Ckhristophpher...
  • Rsjessen
    Options
    Columbus.
    I don't know if it's common where you guys are from, but in Denmark it's quite uncommon.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    nephew: Dustin Star
    nephew: Justin Stardust (not twins)
    niece: Crystal Starlight
    Great niece: Arrianna Skye (dustin's daughter)
    Great niece: Brooklynn Serenity (crystal's daughter)

My brother was on drugs when they named their kids!!! and had a thing about astrology too!!!!!!!! however, I loved them all so much and have to say that I couldn't picture them being named anything else!! (FYI~ my brother is 13 years older than me and my oldest nephew and I are only 6 years apart)

edited: Oh I almost forgot that if I had been blessed with children and had a daughter her name was going to be Neveah (heaven spelled backwords) Grace

After reading some of the other posts. My family isn't so bad at naming kids after all!! Lmao
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    We had a nanny once who was called Grae Gleugh (pronounced Grey Glue), which I always thought was unfortunate. It was her maiden name, to add insult to injury!
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My son's middle name is Cotton
    My daughter's middle name is Magnolia.

Some people think those are weird..we think they are great.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    i like classic names to
    my sons are james & john
    great traditional names for a president
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I knew a woman named Stormy Knight and a girl named Jennika. Dannika is also an awful name. I try to keep an open mind, but I just really dislike the names Jennika and Dannika.