A different way to set up MFP goals - that WORKS!

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I really don't 'get' this. Your numbers don't see to match what you're saying.

If you never go below your BMR, how are you losing? My BMR is 1700.

That's because you don't understand what BMR is.

You should never take the deficit from BMR calories, but from daily maintenance calories.

Read this if still wanting more info.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/471769-an-easier-way-to-setup-goal-calories-eating-for-who-you-wi

Several comments in there to understand it better, then you can come back here and try this method again if you like it.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Very interesting. I've heard of "the olivia method" referred to here and there, but never read about it.
    According to what I've gleaned from this post and BMR, I'm eating too little most days.
    Hard to believe I need to eat more to lose weight (been on here for 1y and have only lost 5lbs, aiming for at least 10 total).
    This may require a leap of faith...
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    [/quote]

If your BMR is 1323, then that should be your approximate calorie intake goal on any given day, never going below. That will give you a deficit of 227 calories each day. Say today you exercise and burn 500 calories doing so. You will increase your defict to 727 calories for that day. Let's say tomorrow you go crazy and burn 1000 calories exercising, then you would have a calorie deficit of 1227. You should eat an additional 227 calories that day, so that you aren't exceeding a calorie deficit of 1000/day. It gets confusing when you try to use MFP. She is saying that you should set your "MFP goal" to 1550, but your real goal is 1323, not 1550. Because then you can see your total deficit that you created each day in the "remaining" column, and if it is greater than 1000 (say 1227) then you will easily be able to see that you need to eat another 227 calories.

I think :)
    [/quote]

awe thanks for taking a stab at it that kind of makes more sense now
  • lovethebeach16
    Options
    Can someone do the math for me? I've looked at this for too long and just can't comprehend the numbers anymore.

Almost 5'2, 122 lbs. According to bmi-calculator.net my BMR is 1350. For sedentary, (x 1.2) is 1620 for maintenance. Aside from exercising, the only time I really spend moving around would be making dinner. MFP says 1200 calories daily.

When exercising I should eat 1620 calories and burn 300ish in exercise?
  • jan5555
    jan5555 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Can someone do the math for me? I've looked at this for too long and just can't comprehend the numbers anymore.

Almost 5'2, 122 lbs. According to bmi-calculator.net my BMR is 1350. For sedentary, (x 1.2) is 1620 for maintenance. Aside from exercising, the only time I really spend moving around would be making dinner. MFP says 1200 calories daily.

When exercising I should eat 1620 calories and burn 300ish in exercise?

Actually, I found that the math wasn't really necessary. Calculate your numbers as Olivia outlined (which you already did), and pay attention to a few numbers at the end of the day. Here's how I see your scenario:

First, you go to goals, and list your new calorie goal/day as 1620. Since you set your activity up as sedentary (as I did also, since I have a desk job), you need to enter your exercise for the day into MFP for this to work.

Now the few things to pay attention to: 1) You want to eat at or above your BMR every day, so maybe start with an "eating goal" of 1400/day. This is regardless of how much exercise you did or didn't do. Just memorize 1400, and eat at least that much.
    2) Next number that could be important if you exercise a lot on some given day is shown on your daily summary as "=net". At the end of the day, after you have logged your exercise, you want that number to be ABOVE 1000. If it is not, keep eating until it is. A number below 1000 is a too high/not safe deficit.

Now here's the fun part for me: The green number on your daily summary at the end of the day gives you a really good idea of how many calories you "saved" toward weight loss for that day. A green number of 250 would translate to a weight loss of 1/2lb loss/week if you had that number every day. 500 would translate to 1 lb loss/week, etc. If you want to do a weekly avg, you could look at your weekly "calories remaining" and divide by 7.

I think the hardest mindset I had to break on this system is that the words "calories remaining" no longer mean what I can still eat that day, but rather what I have "saved" by not eating to my current maintenance. My deficits are smaller now, but with the built-in safety nets (eat at or a bit above your BMR, and don't let "=net" go below 1000), I no longer worry about whether I am eating too little, exercising too much, etc.
  • llpace671
    llpace671 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump. I"m trying it.
  • saraparris82
    Options
    Bump
  • tyra47
    tyra47 Posts: 97
    Options
    bump
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    This sounds brilliant....however...I'm not sure if I get the math equation...so I'm responding here to refer back to and will try this method out...it makes perfect sense to me in terms of fueling your body efficiently for those longer workout days.
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • auntlooloo
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    @Jan : thanks for explaining it again, it makes sense to me and I will definitely try it from today.
    After having lost 43 pounds my weight AND measurements don't move a bit any more. I have the very strong feeling that, in an attempt to lose these freaking last 12 pounds, I'm exercising too much (no rest day) and eat too little. My diet is healthy, very low in sodium and fat, vits and mins ok.... but in general I don't eat enough...may be.. or not.
    Before I change the settings in my profile, would you be so kind and have a look at my diary, please?
    Also: I am 52 and in menopause. Does that have any impact on my metabolism?
    In general I'd say I'm as fit as a fiddle:bigsmile: . My HR is around 63 and recovery after intense workout is very quick.
    Thanks again
  • countryclubber
    Options
    BUMP :)
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Bump to read through later. This looks like a good idea!

PS, Happy Valentine's Day! :heart:
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Thanks for the info.
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options