A different way to set up MFP goals - that WORKS!

Options

Replies

• StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GoodbyeGut
    GoodbyeGut Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bum to the p!
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Okay I read through the forum but I'm still confused..... I weigh 152 and my MFP BMR is 1405 cals..... so x1.3 would make my maintenance at roughly 1826 cals. So I shouldn't NET under 1405.... but what am I actually supposed to set my daily goal to??
  • jan5555
    jan5555 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    good info. thanks!
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    bump
  • MsAmulet
    Options
    I really don't 'get' this. Your numbers don't see to match what you're saying.

If you never go below your BMR, how are you losing? My BMR is 1700.
  • MarniLombardo
    MarniLombardo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • angeljane11
    Options
    Hi, you said in your first post to never eat less calories than your bmr, but when I signed up for mfp it set me up with 1200 calories and my bmr is something like 1400. After two weeks I realized I was too hungry all the time so I bumped up my calorie goal. So I'm confused, did mfp set me too low on my calories or is it okay to sometimes eat below your bmr? In those two weeks I lost 4lbs a week when my goal was 1lb a week. I'm a little confused on how many calories I should eat.
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    bump
  • heidi2004
    heidi2004 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! going to try to figure out!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi, you said in your first post to never eat less calories than your bmr, but when I signed up for mfp it set me up with 1200 calories and my bmr is something like 1400. After two weeks I realized I was too hungry all the time so I bumped up my calorie goal. So I'm confused, did mfp set me too low on my calories or is it okay to sometimes eat below your bmr? In those two weeks I lost 4lbs a week when my goal was 1lb a week. I'm a little confused on how many calories I should eat.

MFP has one safety net. They recognize the generally accepted idea women should not eat less than 1200 calories a day.
    So if your weight loss goal cuts more off your maintenance calories and goes under 1200, they stop at 1200.

They have no such safety net for suggesting eating under your BMR, which yes, is pretty dumb recommendation if they are really about safety.

It would be so much safer to err on the side of the calculated BMR is perhaps higher than your real BMR, and therefore never suggest less than your BMR for goal calories.

Than, instead of so many people suggesting and following and discovering that eating more solved their issue, there would be discussions of a few not losing weight at goal calories, and going lower.

But at least then not so many would be killing their metabolism by lowering it by eating less then their BMR.
  • smcolton
    Options
    Bump
  • Russian1
    Russian1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • acquiescent
    Options
    bump
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member