A different way to set up MFP goals - that WORKS!

Options

Replies

• threeringedgirl
    Options
    Hmmm need to revisit this later.........
  • amandacochran15
    Options
    I feel like even though my math is correct, that my body will adjust to eating 1390 calories a day. I understand to adjust this number as your weight changes. But will I lose weight at almost 2 pounds a week, or will my body soon adjust? Got the math, confused on the rest.
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Was also a little confused - so thought I'd try to explain how I figured this out from what Olivia said:
    1) Find your BMR: under tools there is a BMR calculator
    2) Then set MFP to maintenance calories
    3) ALWAYS eat your BMR calories as a minimum
    4) Now the tricky part, but just break it down - this will vary slightly person to person depending on their activity level I believe...
    Subtract your BMR calories from your Maintenance calories
    my ex: 1720 (Maintenance cals) - 1270 (BMR) = 450 cals
    or Olivia's ex: 1970 (Maintenance cals) - 1500 (BMR) = 470 cals

You then want to eat at least your BMR as she said "or a little higher" (she set her goal 100 cals higher to 1600)
    And depending on the difference you calculate between your maintenance cals and your BMR cals you don't want the difference to be greater than 1000 cals. So the "Remaining Calories" MFP shows us should never be greater than 1000 calories :)

Anyhoo, maybe this helps someone :)
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bumping to digest ... sounds like an awesome plan!
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    oh and btw for anyone wondering there are a few threads since this one if you search "Olivia" and she explains it again, just saw this ;)
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this, and I think it will help with my consistency. Thanks for posting!
  • afull416
    afull416 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Trill_Shantel
    Options
    Bump
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is open to anyone who understands :bigsmile:

Ok so MFP says my BMR is 1377, and maintenance is 1720. I get everything you said about how the math works and what to do, but.....

My current MFP setting (1 lbs loss a week) gives me a cal goal of 1220. Not much of a difference betwwen the two, or so it seams.

I typically do spin call 3 x a week and burn 450-550 cals, I also do P90x 5 days a week; becasue I currently eat back my excercise cals MFP says my goal is to NET the 1220, which in reality means i consume closer to 1600 a day total.

If i try your approach (assuming i understand it correctly) i would never eat less than 1377 and never more than 1720 as there is only one day a week that i do both where i would get close to 1000 cals so i would not need to eat back any additional cals.

Also just to confirm: if i were to eat too close to the 1720 on days with no excercise, (say for vacation) then technically i am at maintenacne and would stop loosing?

Please tell me i have this right...lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    This is open to anyone who understands :bigsmile:

Ok so MFP says my BMR is 1377, and maintenance is 1720. I get everything you said about how the math works and what to do, but.....

My current MFP setting (1 lbs loss a week) gives me a cal goal of 1220. Not much of a difference betwwen the two, or so it seams.

I typically do spin call 3 x a week and burn 450-550 cals, I also do P90x 5 days a week; becasue I currently eat back my excercise cals MFP says my goal is to NET the 1220, which in reality means i consume closer to 1600 a day total.

If i try your approach (assuming i understand it correctly) i would never eat less than 1377 and never more than 1720 as there is only one day a week that i do both where i would get close to 1000 cals so i would not need to eat back any additional cals.

Also just to confirm: if i were to eat too close to the 1720 on days with no excercise, (say for vacation) then technically i am at maintenacne and would stop loosing?

Please tell me i have this right...lol

Very close.

But despite MFP's current goal based on your desired goal, the advice is eat net _above_ your BMR. In other words, you don't have enough space inbetween BMR and maintenance to drop 500.

So if your usual calorie burn days are say 500 (spin) plus P90X (not sure calories), if that equals 1000, and it probably does, you set MFP to maintenance calories, eat at BMR or slightly above, and if the total difference in green when you record exercise calories goes over 1000, you eat that amount too.

Or, just put your goal calories above your BMR slightly, because you know that is safer, and eat the majority of your accurate as possible exercise calories back.
  • LosingLadi
    LosingLadi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    * bumping to come back and read more =)
  • cprice05
    cprice05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump

Still early in my journey and I'm losing but this may come in handy. I am training for a marathon right now and do find it difficult to eat back calories from the long runs. I also spike the day prior to give me fuel and then don't have to eat them all in one day.

I think it's great to have another option! Thanks for sharing.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Bumping for future reference. Setting it up this way for a while!
  • ChChCharlie
    Options
    Bump!
  • szeight
    szeight Posts: 38
    Options
    Bump
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Happinessgrl