Weight Loss Surgery--I CANNOT Believe I Am Posting This!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Well I posted this on my wall, and have not received any feed back yet...so I thought I would try my luck here.

Alright....well I just found out that my new insurance plan DOES cover lapband and gastric bypass and the sleeve with very minimal cost to me. I looked it up and some people who have the same insurance I do, paid only $500 total. So I was sort of looking into it. There is a class that you take once a week for 24 weeks (so about 6 months)...anyway, I am sort of looking into it. Not seriously yet, but sort of just checking things out. Would anyone consider this option if they were having a super hard time losing weigh on their own? That is where I am at. It is just soooo hard to do it. Just looking for feed back.

If i were you, i would not do it. Im am exactly your height and i was 108kg/ 238 pounds when i started this journey, that makes me 8pounds bigger than you. I have now managed to get down to 95kg/209pounds. Yes its slow, but thats how i prefer it. I have nothing against surgery but loosing weight is no rocket engineering. You just have to burn more cals than you consume. Even with surgery, you still have to eat less and exercise + all the side effects it comes with. Good luck!
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 lbs twice and here I am working on the third time.
    I'm sorry to say that this surgery is no longer the answer.
    I'm not saying that nobody should get the surgery, just not most people.
    More then 50% of the people I know getting this surgery gain the weight back.

You can do this w/o the surgery. We are all here for you to take this journey together.

This is exactly what the problem is. A fair amount of morbidly obese people can lose weight, but only a very small percent can keep it off. Gaining and losing 100 pounds is certainly not good for the body. I believe statistically, 80% of patients keep weight off long term (you are considered a success if you have kept off 50% of your excess weight at 5 years).
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Who knows if the op is even following this post anymore... or if she made a decision. I know very little about these surgeries, but I do know that for myself, personally (who has more weight to lose than you do!), I could never do the surgery... never mind that it is dangerous and has a long recovery time, I just love food too much, and to have to limit my intake so much as has to be done after surgery, I just couldn't do it.

It sounds to me like what you really need is help getting started losing the weight, and support along the way. You can get a lot of that for FREE here on mfp. You say the cost to you to do the surgery would only be about $500... have you looked into what that would get you if you joined Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig, or if you met with a nutritionist or personal trainer on a regular basis for the first while?
  • robynelaine77
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in October of 2008. Initially lost 110 lbs, going from 290 to 180. The weight loss came to a screeching halt, and turned the other way. In the last three years I have gained back 40 lbs. Surgery is hard work- don't let anyone convince you it is the easy way out. That being said, I will admit I didn't take it as serious as I should have. Here I am, three years later, doing the exact same thing you are- working at losing weight. Sure, my tool helps me from eating a pan of brownies like I used to. But on the flip side, I still get sick often and it's a good day when I don't have blood sugar issues (dumping issues). I can eat loads more than I could when I first had the surgery done, and I'm hungry at the end of the day. On the bright side, I am having success losing weight now because I'm following the 'surgery rules', which focus on protein, protein, protein. I don't regret my decision, never have and and never will. My advice to you is that if you have the surgery, following the rules RELIGIOUSLY might allow you have a better outcome than I (and so many others who had the surgery and gained it all back) did. But you need to be aware that it 's a long, very difficult road. Take the time to seriously think about it, and the times to seriously give losing weight a try on your own.
  • lena0105
    lena0105 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My aunt did it and lost 150 lbs in one year. Then, 2 years later she gained everything back, even more.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that these are massively invasive surgeries, the latter of which involves major and permanent alterations to your vital organs. I would strongly suggest you try it the hard way first.

This. Unfortunately my sister in laws dad had gastric and has had nothing but problems ever since. I also worked with a woman who died from complications. I think if you are morbidly obese and you absolutely have tried and feel it's a last resort, than that's your choice to have it.

I personally would never get it done..there are just too many what if's and I really want to lose this weight the same way I put it on....on my own.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all of the postings, so forgive me if this was already mentioned.

You said that you've been on anti-depressant and anti-anxiety meds for awhile (and that they caused your weight gain). Maybe they caused your gain, maybe your relationship with food played a part...sort of hard to speculate.

My point is, are you receiving any kind of professional therapy, something like talk therapy? If not, something like this is where I would rather spend my benefit buck...something that helps me get into my mind to see where my issues might be. IF, and I don't know your whole story but IF you do look to food for comfort, talk therapy could be so beneficial to help you learn more about yourself, and it doesn't alter your body and/or cause potential health risks.

Best of luck to you.
  • acourson87
    Options
    Wow... some of the things I just read on here were a little disturbing... I am a weight loss surgery patient. I am 25 years old. I started out weighing 263lbs. I am almost to my goal and so far have lost 92lbs. Weight loss surgery is not a quick fix. There are times were I wish I didnt have the surgery but that is much much much less often than how often I am thankful for it. I know that at the rate I was going I would be 300 lbs by the end of the year and probably 400-450 by 30. Thats a scary thought. Weight loss surgery is only to be considered a tool. I was completely made aware that this would not be easy (and it hasnt been) before I went thru with it. I spoke with many surgeons, did months of research, spoke with my long-term family doctor and all of my friends and family before I came to the conclusion that I needed the help of weight loss surgery. I have since started therapy as another tool and I exercise now as another tool. I dont know about you guys but I am completely an emotional and comfort eater. When thats the case it is surely necessary to have additonal help in losing weight. I have lost weight before but would replace one addiction with another.. instead of eating like crazy I worked out like crazy. I lost 50 lbs and gained it all back within 3 months ( 4 years b4 surgery). It is true you can gain the weight back. IT IS NOT A TOTAL FIX. So I looked at the over all picture when I had this done. I told myself I would fix the outside but I knew I also needed to fix the inside in order to make it last.. sorry it so long but thats my story.. feel free to ask anything u like. Thanks :)
  • jazzy110772
    Options
    I have had weight loss surgery and let me assure you it is not the easy way out. I had the sleeve and the Dr that did my surgery said several times this is a tool not a cure, We still have to make good choices. The surgery helps you how to eat to live not live to eat which is how most of us are now. I am 100% happy that i chose surgery. Did it solve everything-absolutly not but it did solve 1 aspect of my obesity. The ability to over eat dose not exist so it forces you to find other ways to deal with your emotional relationship with food. I still have alot of work to do and hope to continue to work on my insides. Please do not let people tell you that surgery is the easy way out because if they do they have not had the surgey and do not understand the emotional side affects. Would I do the surgery again. YES only regret is I didnt do it when I was in my 20's
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    My opinion.... Yeah, 100 lbs is hard to lose but it's not impossible to do without weight loss surgery. My bmi was 51 and now its at 31 and I have lost 130 lbs. it has taken about two years, but in that two years I've educated myself with how to make this a lifestyle change. It's something that I can do because I've made it my life. My concern about weight loss surgery is are you going to be mentally and emotionally able to keep that weight off? Good luck in whatever you choose.