WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2011

Options

Replies

• FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am 51! Loving life!

My first goal is to gain strength and fitness by exercising often and not overeating or drinking ... need help with the later more than the former.
    First weight loss goal is to get to a healthy BMI -- 20 pounds. All of my immediate family has diabetes but me and I determined to keep it that way.

I just started here a couple of weeks ago and have only lost a pound or so. No worries.

My December goal is to exercise a total of 25 hours. Half of that will be cardio, most of the rest strength training and 5 percent or so will be yoga and stretching.

About three years or so, I really focused hard on living a frugal lifestyle after getting laid of from my job. I worked temp. jobs and freelance jobs all along and really made progress on living within my means and not wasting stuff -- also good for the environment. I did the same thing when I quite smoking. Once we become determined, find the tools and support we need -- we can and will succeed.
    Now, I'm ready to focus that same attention on becoming a healthier person. This site is going to help me just like the other one did and I know I we will succeed!
    Let's go Girls!
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Happy December all! I'm still here tracking everyday and exercising, just not much time for posting! Sending hugs to all!!!!

BirdieM:heart:
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Pam,
    I too have a real hard time this time of year. I'm trying sam-e.made by Natural Made. Been using it for 2 weeks it helps not nearly as depressed. Don't know if it's from the nice weather or the pills. I quess i'll fnd out when the rain starts again.
    Best to you 20 days for the days to get longer.
    Joyce
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Michele, Awhile ago I finished reading “It’s Always Something” by Gilda Radner. It has nothing to do with healthy eating and weight loss but was very inspiring and funny. Now I’m reading “What Shamu Taught me about Life, Love, and Marriage” I found out about it when I was reading "Switch : how to change things when change is hard "by Chip Heath I found out about Switch from Jeannie who posts all the time on this thread. The Shamu book is a fast read and funny and useful. Here is a link to an article that was taken from the book.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/25/fashion/25love.html?pagewanted=all

:flowerforyou: Chiclet, you might find something in that book to help you deal with your mother.

:flowerforyou: Barbara, you are amazingly busy. This week at line dance we learned “Alabama Slammin’” and “Love JoAnn”---one hard, one easy….thank you for speaking up for all of us about losing our signatures.

:flowerforyou: Rita, my goals for December are exercise goals----even if food is a problem, I can at least work hard at staying active to at least fight a battle against the calorie intake.

:flowerforyou: It is great to see new faces. Please keep coming back.

:flowerforyou: Bev, having friends on this thread will be a great asset for you in your Biggest Loser challenge. We are always there to support you.

:flowerforyou: Itamatgo, your thought provoking words and positive attitude added a lot to my day.

:flowerforyou: Rose, your goals are amazing and will be an inspiration to me…..thank you for joining us and sharing with us.

:flowerforyou: AZDee, you have come to the right place for support for your goals.

:flowerforyou: FitnessBarbie, I love your goals and admire your focus on living a frugal lifestyle. MFP is the place to learn to be frugal with calories

:bigsmile: It is also great to see friends I haven’t seen in awhile. I may not have sent you a personal message but I missed you just the same.

:flowerforyou: Viv, my challenges were in November
    too much Thanksgiving/Gratitude meals and too little control on my part. December is easier for me since I don’t celebrate Christmas.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, I’m glad you’re back….no news from me, just hours and hours of dancing and dog walking.

:flowerforyou: Pam, I don’t know where you live, but are you able to get outside for 30-60 minutes during daylight?

:flowerforyou: McMadame, thank you for your sage observations about hibernating and weight going up in the winter. I am so glad you are posting here again

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I was successful with my November goal to walk the dogs for at least an hour every morning so I’m keeping that goal for December when it will be darker and colder. I am still waiting for the warm waterproof hiking boots to come in so my feet will stay drier and warmer

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

December goals:
    *keep walking the dogs for at least an hour every morning no matter how cold, wet, or snowy.
    * do yoga five days a week

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow, how can it be December already?! Anyhow, hope to get back and read all the posts from today. Trying to log my food everyday. It is always good to be aware of just how many calories I have consumed in a day. I think twice before I eat that way.:flowerforyou:
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have just joined this group and am very much looking forward to visiting with each of you. I like to be motivated and I especially like that we can choose our own thing to do. We don't have to do 60 jumping jacks as part of a challenge! I could never do jumping jacks. Anyhow, looking forward to this. :smile:
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Everyone: As usual, I have missed a couple of days and now there are pages to catch up on!!!! I'll be back as shortly as there are some that I would like to comment on for sure!!! I just wanted to Thank Barbie again for moving us to December and mark my spot.

Talk to youi shortly.

Love, Cathy xx
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Look - I am getting the birthday list up in a timely fashion this month! If you are not listed and want to be, just send me a message and I will add you. Mary

50+ thread Birthdays
    January:
    5 – csally01
    6 – barmbord
    13 - Qpeace
    17 – grabbit97
    25 – zuback55
    28 - genealace
    29 - ritamerlot

February:
    2 – doobiedoo
    7 – 2youngatheart
    7 - jeqrosen
    15 - anotheryearolder
    ? - SuzyQ

March:
    1 – auntiebk
    3 - arborsong
    4 - heartrw
    6 – jeanne3651
    7 - DebKRN
    8 – pmjsmom
    12 – glendaaus
    14 – cj1234cj23
    15 – joylaut
    20 - spaniel60
    21 – cjwil01
    25 – barbiecat
    30 – BirdieM
    31 – wizzywig

April:
    4 – Lyn54
    4 - frogmama
    8 – grandee47
    11 – smelliott
    11 – kel7298
    14 - ildi59
    22 – sceck

May:
    2 – gracete
    2 – janemartin02
    4 – chicletgirl21
    5 – Debma1010
    6 - smwert
    13 – lovediets
    13 - jberberian
    20 – mimi7grands
    23 - debieanne
    25 – jam0525
    25 – wehavethestars
    25 - sissygok
    26 – vickim26
    27 - rjadams
    30 – msh0530

June:
    3 - eotrg
    4 - Caminogirl
    4 - Shirley61
    12 – Ldspill
    13- tiarapants
    23 - goldwingrider
    27 - Donna56
    30 - RebelRenny

July:
    3 - Iojoi
    7 – Lindaj07
    8 – BarbieCat1
    9 - yvonnemfp
    20 - TeresaSavage
    27 – mynyddisamrs
    31 - randylevy

August:
    7 - MacMadame
    18 – bkrbabe57
    24 – cherubcrnp
    27 - corqueen

September:
    2 – Laura80111
    14 – ItsTerriC
    22 - gloriaandison

October:
    3 – shiddelson
    8 - djdreger
    15 – Jolandolfo
    21 - peepocheck
    23 – rjnandjosh

November:
    11 – kackie
    19 - Benson
    30 – SallyCC
    30 – topaz2986

December:
    6 – cucoyannie
    24 – frogmama
    30 – caharleygirl
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Evenin' Ladies!

Today was a much better day...I kept my food under control. I didn't get my exercise in yet...but plan on hitting the bike in a few while i watch "the Big Bang Theory"..one of my favorite shows.

Barbie....thanks for getting us started again! Love the penquin

Auntie....I love your carnival analogy of lifestyle changes....complete LOL....and soooo true

Itamatgo....Wonderful thoughts...and a pleasure to read.

Chiclet....We're here for you. Is there anyone that can share some of the care w/you so you can get out and relax a bit? My dog completely takes over the bed, too....head on the pillow, etc. It's a good thing Eric works nites...cause we (me n the dog) don't leave any room for him!

Pam....It helps me to think that on Dec 21 the days start to become longer and the nites shorter and I'm moving out of my winter doldrums. It's my bright spot during cold winter days.

Welcome to the new ladies!!

Rita
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!
    My goals are to continue with my high protein,low carb diet and hopefully,reach my goal,if not,not gain with the holidays.
    Continue to get my back strong.Do the therapy and home ex as per dr.
    Try to stay focused on the positive things in my life and not the losses I have had this past year.
    Welcome to anyone just joining,it`s a great support group.
    HUGS
    jane
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Hi all,

I didn't reach my goal of 2kgs for November, but I did make 1.6 kilos. A little diappointing, as I felt I was being very practical with my goal, but at least I was close.

My goal for Christmas (22nd is my weigh in) is to lose one kg...a little more practical this time.

Christmas Day will be a free day for me, so I don't know how things will stand at that end of the month, but not having a gain will do me, considering it's that time of year and there's so much yummy food to enjoy while celebrating. It's a big holiday for us over here (Australia)...we nearly all take off the week between Christmas and New Year and it's our big deal like Thanksgiving is for you in the US. I also have one work Christmas party so that will have to be a free day too...you have to have a life after all.

It's so interesting to read about all of your lives and see that we all have our challenges in life, even though they are all different. It makes me feel that I am no alone. At 54 I am old to be a single parent with 2 teenagers, looking after a job, a house, my finances, my house, my garden, my pets, and whatever else comes up. My children are always having one drama or another as they both have emotional issues, so life is very stressful and busy, and it's hard to face it and deal with it on your own. Sometimes I get lonely too as I don't have a lot of friends and very little support from anyone, and it would be nice to have someone to "bounce it all off" on a bad day, or just to give you a hug and tell you that they care. But I don't have that luxury. But obviously I am not the only one who doesn't find life a breeze, and that brings me back down to earth.

I have to say that I loved the inspirational post about growing older ( can't remember the name of the wise lady who wrote it ) and I wish she would put it in every month, just to remind me how lucky I really am, and to always look at the glass as "half full". I try to go to bed every night now and say the things I am greatful for, and I do come up with a lot, so despite my trials I am probably more fortunate than a lot. I owuld be a lot better off if I didn't worry about absolutley everything, including mostly money and the future. It is so pointless...I can only do my best, and things will be what they will be, despite how much i worry about them.

One very postive that is happenieng in my life is the progress I have made since finding this site! My progress has been slow, but the setup suits me perfectly, and I love the instant support, encouragement, and lack of judgement if we slip up as well. It has become something of a fun "hobby" even though it is more serious than that. I enjoy going on every day and seeing what my friends are up to, and talking to them, and encouraging them along. I have received so much more support on here than any other dieting regime I have ever tried (and I've treid a few), and it encourages me to do well.

And I am proud of myself...been on here six weeks and lost 2.6kgs in total, so now I only have 4.4 kilos to go. I have lost 16.2 kgs (36 lbs) over the past 18 months but have had lots of long plataeu's which have been discouraging...but no plateau on here as yet, so I'm hoping I can finally reach goal here.

All the best everyone for December!!!! Hugs! :flowerforyou:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Kathie: I enjoyed reading your post. You have done a great job with your goals and handling your family by yourself. Pat yourself on the back...you are setting a great example for your children too!

Jane: Glad that you are getting your back healed slowly! Take care!

On a sad note: Yesterday morning I found out that a one of my friend's husband had died in his sleep during the night. (We are friends with both husband and wife) He was early 60s and a funny, dear man. The very sadist thing is that both Jack and Judy were only children, have no children themselves, no parents, aunts, uncles or anything....just a few friends here. Judy is all by herself and they just lost their home about a year ago. They have moved into a rental home not too far from us, but in a more remote area. When I found out I drove over and spent the afternoon with her. She is in shock for sure. An old friend flew in to spend a few days with her, so thankfully, she isn't by herself right now. Just another reminder that life is short and we just never know, so we need to enjoy every minute and not sweat the small stuff.

Can't think straight this morning. All the things that I felt were so urgent yesterday, don't seem so today. I am so thankful that I have my DH of 37 years, 2 healthy sons, a darling granddaughter, wonderful DIL and future DIL we also love, 2 parents who are in pretty good health, a sister & brother and lots of neices and nephews on both sides. I am also thankful for all of you here and for your support and friendship. Take care, dear Ladies:heart::heart: :heart: Kackie
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :noway: Michelle brr I like my water bath tub temp.
    :heart: Itamatgo Beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for the reminder!
    :sick: Robin Oww at both ends. Yuck!
    :brokenheart: Chiclet Your friend is right, you need some help. Any hope for some respite care? Naughty Boo, time for her to get over it and accept Scout. Bet they were cute with their heads :bigsmile: on your pillow but shame :tongue: on the little stinkerpots for snoozing after waking you.
    :love: Pam Look at you! Going to the gym anyway and stretching a few minutes up to an hour! Well done!
    :laugh: Welcome rosebarnalice, your profile pic made me laugh out loud! Awe-inspiring goals.
    :happy: AXDee Amen! I cried when I achieved "Oveweight" and left Obese behind forever.
    :smile: Macmadame Wishing you a totally complete recovery. Sounds like you really know how to work WITH your body.
    :bigsmile: Mary msh AMEN! and Thanks for the Bday lists!
    :flowerforyou: Welcome Fitnessbarbie. Love your "Lemonade" attitude and conVERY gratulations on quitting smoking!:heart: BirdieM good to know you're still with us. Share your wisdom when you can?
    :smooched: Barbie We've been working on Alabama Slammin for 3 weeks and I still forget every time. Love JoAnn IS easy but all that arm waving really gets the HR up. Our newest easy one is Somethin in the Water, cute but FAST.
    :ohwell: Doobiedoo, ditto. Have a lunch meeting today and have already logged the sandwich. Hope keeping my eyes on that +85 calories over will help me resist the cookies and chips!
    :laugh: Welcome CathiAnne. You are so right about fun and Jumping Jacks ain't...
    :flowerforyou: Jane your focus is inspiring.
    :brokenheart: Cathy, Hope you can find some humor in the DIL situation, even if its dark humor... or something you CAN like about her. Maybe she senses the rest of the family's understandable dislike, but doesn't know how to change, so is pulling your son away in defense.
    :heart: Kathie glad you're proud of your progress, you deserve to be. You are so right about the support encouragement and lack of jugdement here, these gals are the best. Reading the posts leaves little time for loneliness, we are a chatty bunch.
    :cry: Kackie "All the things that I felt were so urgent yesterday, don't seem so today" Got that right. So sad for your loss, and your friend. What a shock.

OK now I AM late for work and have to wear a wrinkled shirt, and it's all YOUR fault you wonderful gals!:laugh:

Thank you ALL!
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Off to a good start with the exercise goal.
    63 mins. yesterday.
    30 cardio, 20 strength, balance stretching
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I'm always kind of intrigued that people have goals to lose X weight by Y timeframe. I like goals that are under my control and I found when I was losing that I couldn't control that. I could control the direction the scale was going in and the general rate but that's about it.

That's why my goals tend to be things like: drink 80-100 oz of water a day. :laugh:

The back of my head doesn't hurt today. Tomorrow I have to go to Sacramento and I'm going to be running around so if that doesn't make my head hurt again, I will go for a short run on Sunday.

I've decided that if the front of my face hurts, that's from "allergies" and so it doesn't count, btw. Between the rain and winds, the pollen is kicking up something fierce these days and my eyes are always kind of itchy and it hurts behind my forehead and eyes.
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This group of women is simply amazing. I am inspired by each and every one of you.

I have two goals for December. First, our first grandchild, Jack Michael, is due to be born on December 20th. We are anxiously awaiting and pretty much life is on hold until our wonderful gift arrives. Jack's dad's birthday is December 21 and his mother, our daughter, Sara's birthday is on December 5th. They will have an adorable little December family.

My second goal for December is to get my leg healed. I was doing so well with the treadmill. I set up a goal to walk from Omaha, Nebraska to Times Square. I've been to Times Square and wanted to to visit again! About half way to Des Moines (my first goal) I hurt my leg on Thanksgiving day by going for a walk. I pulled or tore a tendon and I can barely walk to the bathroom let alone on the treadmill. I want to get my leg healed so I can get back to my walk to Times Square.

I wish I could join groups that set a weight loss goal of X pounds by such and such a date. My body just does not work like that. I have come to accept that and do not get discouraged because my body is not like everyone else's body. I lose weight when my body decides it is time to lose weight. I do well with my food journaling, stay within my calories, eat most of my exercise calories back (although I think that's a lot of food), and drink my water. I stay persistent on that path.

I am a "glass is half full" person and I am grateful for that. I have a friend who is young enough to be my daughter (if I was a teen mom!) and I feel so sad for her because she is so negative, has no life, and just complains and does nothing about it. So sad.

I admire ladies on here who are presented with challenges, persevere, and make necessary changes to adjust. That takes strength, determination, and persistence. Bless you for your courage.

I am impressed by the supportiveness of all ladies who post here. You are all wonderful ladies who have been gifted to me in my life.

I hope everyone has a productive and happy December. Good luck with our goals. I hope I got a flower for most everyone!

Cathi
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • westernjoy
    Options
    Yesterday was the day my great grandson decide to arrive into this world. He has a lot of blond hair. Mom and baby are doing great home tonight.
    Welcome to all the newcomers
    Joyce
  • westernjoy
    Options
    Yesterday was the day my great grandson decide to arrive into this world. He has a lot of blond hair. Mom and baby are doing great home tonight.
    Welcome to all the newcomers
    Joyce
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hello My Friends:

Welcome to December, already!!!

Thanks, again, Barbie, for getting us here. You are our hero :drinker:

Pam/Joyce - Don't worry, you are not alone being in a funk this time of year, lots of us are. I am trying hard to get myself out of it. I have decided that if my DIL wants to go away with the family for Christmas (even though I haven't seen the son in months as he has been posted away), she is still my DIL and she is still a delightful girl in so many other ways so I need to get over it!! OK, I am over it :laugh:

Amanda - I hope you enjoyed your time with your friends and that they DID notice your "new" you, although, how could they not :huh:

Robin - Hope you are feeling better :flowerforyou:

Michele - Whenever I read your posts, I know why your tag name is "exermom", is sure suits you :laugh:

Lucia - Welcome and loved your post :smile:

Chicletgirl - What can we say that we have not ready said. You must have the patience of a saint. I am not sure how you manage to stay sane. Hugs to you :flowerforyou:

Topaz 2986 - Sorry, I missed your birthday, same day as my middle son, Happy Birthday, hope you had a good one :drinker:

AZDee - I sure hear you :wink:

MacMadam - You make sure you take care of you first :flowerforyou:

Fitness Barbie - Great Goals and Welcome :flowerforyou:

CathiAnne - Hi and welcome. Congrats on your new grandbaby coming, Sounds like you are going to be so busy soon with all the birthdays and so close to Christmas :noway:

Jane - Hope you are doing well :flowerforyou:

Kathiemcn - Congrats, you are doing so well. This is a great thread for support and it is available anytime you need it, which is great :wink:

Kackie - So sorry to hear about your friend's loss :cry:

I am off tomorrow to meet my StepMom and my stepsister/bestfriend for a day of shopping, which should be nice. We always have a good time together. I am pretty much finished my Christmas shopping, this is mostly a day for just window shopping and meeting for lunch, but I enjoy t just the same :smile:

Well, I better run and get ready to close off for the day at work. Yay, Friday:drinker:

Talk to you soon, Everyone. Have a great day.

Love, Cathy xx
  • lavendergirll
    lavendergirll Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    First I have to apologize for just disappearing. I was doing great for awhile but like a lot of you; I let everyday things get in the way and would tell myself I would post tomorrow. And then something else would happen and the same cycle. I am hoping to change that.
    November was successful. I actually lost weight over the thanksgiving holidays. I belong to Weight Watchers and at a meeting before the big day they had us write down what we normally serve and then they had us write down how we could make each food a little healthier or just replace it altogether. It really helped!
    For December I am looking to continue my pace and to stay on track. I realize that the decisions I make each day will decide what the scale will say. I enjoy good food and good wine and I will enjoy the holidays; but with a little bit of control.
    I wish all of you a great beginning to a wonderful month of fun, family an d friends and yes; perhaps just a little of the "not so good for you" treats.