WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2011

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: No personal replies just a few thoughts based on what I read from all of you this morning.

:flowerforyou: :heart: I put my husband first on my gratitude list every day followed by health, then add many other things.

:grumble: I am powerless over the scale so I don't create "lose so many pounds........" goals, instead I have goals about doing things that I can control......that's why when I first had "drink eight glasses of water a day" as my goal, I would often be standing in the kitchen at bedtime drinking the last three glasses :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am turning 50 in 8 days! I sure don't feel it *mentally that is! I hope I can join this group. I have fallen off the wagon just a bit and need some encouragement and support. I am exercising but can do WAY more. I just ordered the Jillian MIchaels DVD and am worried it may be too tough> I want to try it though and actually stick to it.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    asugar - Welcome! There's plenty of room here. Come back often and let us get to know you!

Joyce - I am jumping up and down for joy for you! Well, not really, I gave up jumping years ago, but I'm really excited. My next grandson should be here on the 12th.

I have also given up on I will lose this much by then. It sets me up to fail, and I don't need that. I set other goals, like log my food, stay within calories, etc.

Have a good - no make that great - weekend!! Mary
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    welcome.... cathianne..... asugar..... bevsdietfor20..... azdee...fitnessbarbie

@cathys01...good for you,..you being happy translate into your family being happy

@janemaqrtin02..glad your back is getting better

@kathienmcn..you did awesome lossing weight.

@kachie.so sorry for your loss and that of your friend....

@macmadame...glad your head not hurting today

@cahtianne..congrats on your grandbaby, YAY december 20,,,heal up so you can get to NYC

@westernjoy...congrants on your grandson

@barbiecat....thank you i am still smiling

@msh0530...i agree with you both...i also set goals that relate more to my exercises. logging, or foods

finally i want to thank all of you for the encouraging words and advise...unfortunately i cant blame my funky mood on the weather since i live in south florida and we are blessed with many sunny days...so i will continue to exercise which really helps with my being sad...have a great weekend my friends
  • MABoxall
    MABoxall Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello there.
    I am so grateful to find a group like yours. Recovered now from a fractured ankle and starting this month with 30 minute walks 3 to 4 days a week. My goal is to get that exercise habit back after my long recovery - that has always led me to better eating choices, which leads to weight loss and great attitude.
    Can't wait to start! All the best, ladies:smile:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    sorry i forgot to add

:@itamatgo....i loved your post on aging..thanks

@chiclet....i agree with the other posters...you have the patience of a saint...please take care of yourself:flowerforyou:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I always love when I find you all at the beginning of every month....like a reunion of old friends!! I got through the week of parties (thank you for the good wishes) and adjusted my tracker.... feels go to have a clean fresh week ahead.

Barbie....I love your message about setting goals on things we can control (drinking 8 glasses of water) rather than the number. I very rarely hit number goals and it is so frustrating.
    My goals for this week on to stay under my Fat allowance ( I was over that last week) and to do a different exercise everyday.

I hope everyone has a good day!
    Sally
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a good week-end ladies.So many new faces.How awesome!
    I agree with setting goals for such a day,For me It just put more pressure on me and a lot of disappointments.
    I`ve been working on this since 2006.I`m not in a race and i`ll get there when I get there.i`m learning how to eat healthy and not over exercise to loose faster.It`s a lifetime commitment for me.I`m learning to not eat over disappointments.One day at a time and trying to make the most of it.
    Some days the body doesn`t respond they way I would hope,so I just do the best I can.
    I`m not saying for anyone else not to set goals,whatever works for you.We are all different.
    I love reading the posts and getting to know everyone.
    So take care of yourself.:drinker:
    HUGS
    jane
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Once again, I enjoyed reading all of your posts. It is so gratifying "being a part", in just a little way, of other people's lives....it makes my own so much more interesting and makes me feel so much less isolated. It is great to feel like part of a community when I am at home and pretty much on my own sometimes....these days it seems like if I have a computer nearby I am never on my own, and never without support. It is such a positive in my life.

To those who said not to set pound goals (and I know with my memory I will never remember everybody's names), I thought that was very good advice. You're right, it can lead to disappointment, and we do have no control over what the scales say, only over what we do. Logging, staying under, drinking our water, etc are the things we can control. So now I think I'll just my body do what it is going to do, and do my best with it along the way, and watch the weight loss come.
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Asugar: Welcome! We are glad to have you and look forward to getting to know you. As far as the Jillian Michaels DVDs, my suggestion is to do them without the weights first, then add very low weights and do what you can, once you get the "moves" learned and in balance. I can tell you that they do help middle aged bodies!

Joyce: Congratulations! Post a picture if you get a chance!

Chiclet: Good to see you again. Take care...you have a lot on your plate!

Mimi: WHERE ARE YOU? Been too long!!!

I made a big pot of lentil chili last night and will take some over to my friend's house today. I know she is not eating much and probably won't for a while, but thought it was something she could eat a bit of here or there. She is mostly vegetarian. I feel so bad for her.

I know a lot of people take a day off of any meat and I think it is a good thing to try to do more often. My LDL cholesterol has been creeping up, and although my HDL is very high, the total is not good. Taking out some red meat and other meat sources of
    fat might help. I get retested in 2 months, so we will see. Also, my fasting blood sugar was higher than usual...6.0. :huh: :huh: :huh: I have never had elevated blood sugar so I am worried about that too. (My triglycerides were good). I am in "normal" BMI now, exercise regularly and don't eat much processed foods, use olive oil to cook with and lots of vegetables. Any of you who can offer suggestions, I really would appreciate it! :flowerforyou:

Have a great weekend! Kackie:heart:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

:flowerforyou: Gosh there seems to be lots of new people here, welcome to all, I look forward to getting to know you.

:frown: I can't seem to keep any goals at the moment! I start exercising promising myself I'll keep it up - then stop :embarassed: I say I'll log my food, do so for a few days - then stop :embarassed: I need to stick with both these things, then I'm sure I'll get back on track. I am so disappointed with myself I was doing so well until ........ can't think of what set me back. The only thing I can think of is when I went into hospital, I seem to have put the weight back on since then??? I keep telling myself no one can do this for me I have to do it for myself. :huh:

:flowerforyou: It is good to read all your posts though, I always feel motivated afterwards. So that will be a small goal, to keep reading the posts and maybe all your good idea's will rub off on me. I won't give up.

:ohwell: Been at the computer a while now, so I'm going to get up and finish off the housework. Then it will be time to walk the doggies before it gets dark. That is one thing I can't get out of :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Take care everyone :drinker: :heart:

Viv xx
  • Deeders
    Options
    This is so cool. I love reading the post.... I am 51 almost 52... started the Super Immunity Diet with my mother, brother and sister to help support my mom on her battle with Ovarian Cancer (3C)... so far so good:wink::flowerforyou:
  • asugar
    Options
    I'd like to hear more about the super immunity diet!
  • asugar
    Options
    THANKS! I appreciate the advice. You look great so it must work. I can't see your face tho.
  • asugar
    Options
    Kackie - I have high cholesterol too. The two things that helped a lot were switching to Benecol rather than butter (I also use olive oil to cook) and taking more EFA FIsh Oil capsules. There is also a supplement called Red Yeast Rice that helps some people. I drink red wine a few times a week whether it helps or not I dont know but I do enjoy it!!!
  • beth535
    beth535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I saw this board and thought I'd give it a try. I joined MFP in September 2011. In about 6-7 weeks I dropped my triglycerides from 235 to 137, cholesterol from 211 to 166, and A1C (diabetes marker) from 5.9 to 5.7. I've lost about 8 pounds so far. May not sound like much to some, but I'm thrilled with my progress.

I'm looking for new friends on MFP who understand that being self-compassionate and having a positive attitude are really what it takes to make long-lasting, healthy changes in our lives. I joined a challenge early on just to become part of a group and I have to leave it. I get so frustrated, hearing these women beat themselves up for not living up to their goals perfectly and for looking forward to "having their butt whooped" during their exercise routine! If they could only hear their self-talk...

Anyway, I'm looking to connect to new people and would welcome any recommendations to other women who share the whole "kinder, gentler" attitude. I'm hoping to hear from some of you.

Beth
  • asugar
    Options
    I agree with your thoughts. I can't believe what success you've had in such a short time. That's great!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    itamago - I loved reading your post. thanks

You know, I didn't even realize that the signatures were missing! lol

chicklet - my heart goes out to you.

We're going to the TSO concert today (Sat) in Greenville (SC). First, yoga. Did an hour of a spinning downloadable workout that I had yesterday. Even tho these holidays are somewhat crazy, I'm still trying to get in some exercise. My weight has gone up a bit (it usually does around the holiday time), but I'm trying to have things like veggies in my soup to keep the calories down but yet be satiating. Also, I want to get things out of my freezer.....lol

I met the lady that I'm making the desserts for for her open house and told her that I was making the chocolate cheesecake. She asked if I'd make it in a 9 x 13 pan. I've never done this. My cheesecake calls for you to put it in a pan of water. She said that with the cheesecake in a 9 x 13 pan, I wouldn't need the water, the top wouldn't crack. And it didn't. She also said that I could freeze the cheesecake. I've never done this, so I'm giving it a try.

kackie - that is so sad about your friends. You are a good friend to go over and spend time with Judy.

After spinning yesterday I went into the room that they have designated for stretching. I almost fell over. You should hold a stretch for 20-30 seconds (especially in wintertime) but there wasn't even a clock in that room! I'm going to say something to the CEO. I can't get over it, he's spending all this money on equipment for one branch, and to me another branch needs so much more updating -- like doors on the bathroom stalls and not shower curtains.

auntibk - thanks for the smile. Hope your shirt wasn't TOO wrinkled!

I bought some grape juice for Vince yesterday and while I was bringing it into the house, I tripped and my glasses hit the wall. They were SOOO bent, but we went to the mall last night and they bent them back. They did tell me that the glasses are weaker now and they tried to get me to buy new ones, but I'm not going to right now. I did find 2 stockings that say "Santa, I can explain", one for Bonnie and one for Clyde. Very appropiate for them since they get into everything. Now I need to find someplace where I can get their names monogrammed on them.

Cathi - ouch! Hope your leg heals quickly.

I, too, never set a goal of losing X pounds by a certain date. I'm happy maintaining. I have found, tho, that I need to constantly journal.

joyce - bit congrats!!!!!!

Just got back from an hour of yoga. I'm thinking that maybe my Lenten thing will be to do yoga at least once/week (this is in add'n to going to class)

asugar - happy birthday! Which DVD did you order?

Welcome mabee Just jump right in. You'll get lots of good tips here

Welcome deeders. I don't think I've ever heard of the Super Immunity Diet. Tell us about it. Good luck to your mom

Welcome beth - you've come to the right place, that's for sure

Sort-of skimmed the posts. Now we're off to the TSO concert. Can't wait. It'll only be the 12th time we've seen them in concert.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Michele
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    good mornng ladies. the jaw is healing even though I had to go get a new stitch yesterday. Today dH and I are going to the hypnosis place for a consult. He wants to quit smoking and I want to quit biting my nails. I will let you all know how it goes.

Welcome to all the newbies. This thread has been a part of my life for almost 2 years. It is the best place for advise, support and anything else you need. Please come back often.

Have a stellar Saturday all.