Living Social McDonald's Deal

Options

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Personally, and ignore the fact this is coming from a vegan because it's not an animal-rights thing for me,
    McDonalds is effing disgusting and even as a kid I never enjoyed it.
    It's bad for you and I'd rather fuel my body with good stuff.
    I don't think the thread will "derail"anyone, but I don't get how people can eat the over-processed-unrecognizable crap.
    Not to mention, it is true, the advertising totally brainwashes people. I'm writing a paper on fast food advertising in working class areas as we speak...

Good for you, but most people find McDonald's cheap and delicious. That's why it's so popular.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    Yes, from what I have read on these boards I do believe that people can be derailed by this sort of discussion. I would not have believed that before I started reading people's comments on here, but I have been persuaded to it.

I think we can draw the line wherever we like. This is a fitness forum, and the boundaries are set by the admins. If I don't like the haha eat-the-burger tone, I can say so, at the risk of being tagged a humourless broccoli tout, of course.

These people must learn to deal with this. Not because of this board. Not because of the comments, but because they need to live in the real world where they will be challenged with this all the time. The problem in North America is not Big Mac and Fries coupons, it is people making bad choices. They do not think about how many calories are in the food they eat, nor do they consider how many they need to live. I was like that. I would quite seriously look at those coupons and think that would be two and a half meals, and I could eat them all the same day and add a large shake and a sundae to that as well. After having a stroke and super high blood pressure I needed to change that, but rather than deny myself all the things I liked to eat, I started to eat them much less and within my calories for the day. In doing so I learned to make better choices, and am much more capable of living in the world. I will continue to say you can eat things like McD's, BK, Wendy's, Taco Bell and the rest as long as it is mixed with many more meals prepared yourself filled with veggies and fruits. I am tired of those who put forward the premise that all fast food is the problem, and will continue to say I like to have the occasional Big Mac.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Not to mention, it is true, the advertising totally brainwashes people. I'm writing a paper on fast food advertising in working class areas as we speak...
    It brainwashes people, or it convinces people to buy the product? Marketing is designed to so just that. Folks with intellect can understand and make decisions for themselves, regardless of an advertisement.

Brainwashing is something else entirely.
  • scottberrydsm
    scottberrydsm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I SAVED the email, but now I'm going to FRIEND you so that I can't buy it!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    It brainwashes people, or it convinces people to buy the product? Marketing is designed to so just that. Folks with intellect can understand make decisions for themselves though, regardless of an advertisement.

Brainwashing is something else entirely.
    Common sense. :) Love it.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Yes, from what I have read on these boards I do believe that people can be derailed by this sort of discussion. I would not have believed that before I started reading people's comments on here, but I have been persuaded to it.

I think we can draw the line wherever we like. This is a fitness forum, and the boundaries are set by the admins. If I don't like the haha eat-the-burger tone, I can say so, at the risk of being tagged a humourless broccoli tout, of course.

These people must learn to deal with this. Not because of this board. Not because of the comments, but because they need to live in the real world where they will be challenged with this all the time. The problem in North America is not Big Mac and Fries coupons, it is people making bad choices. They do not think about how many calories are in the food they eat, nor do they consider how many they need to live. I was like that. I would quite seriously look at those coupons and think that would be two and a half meals, and I could eat them all the same day and add a large shake and a sundae to that as well. After having a stroke and super high blood pressure I needed to change that, but rather than deny myself all the things I liked to eat, I started to eat them much less and within my calories for the day. In doing so I learned to make better choices, and am much more capable of living in the world. I will continue to say you can eat things like McD's, BK, Wendy's, Taco Bell and the rest as long as it is mixed with many more meals prepared yourself filled with veggies and fruits. I am tired of those who put forward the premise that all fast food is the problem, and will continue to say I like to have the occasional Big Mac.
    Well said.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Mr. Elexgordo:
    Answers to your questions are #1: No, you don't have to be (nor should you be) censored. Just expressing an opinion.
    #2: Your question is inherently flawed. As emergencytennis pointed out, you're using hyperbole to make a point; I would say it's more of a slippery slope to ask "where do we draw the line."

Like I said, just expressing an opinion. This is not a problem for me, I read the thread because I found it interesting. But I do agree that things like this can be anti-supportive for some people here. I also know it's their choice to read it or not, so no, you don't have to be censored. But threads like this violate the spirit (not the rules) of MFP.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Omg I won't lie. I had McDonald's for dinner tonight. I feel derailed. :sad:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Mr. Elexgordo:
    Answers to your questions are #1: No, you don't have to be (nor should you be) censored. Just expressing an opinion.
    #2: Your question is inherently flawed. As emergencytennis pointed out, you're using hyperbole to make a point; I would say it's more of a slippery slope to ask "where do we draw the line."

Like I said, just expressing an opinion. This is not a problem for me, I read the thread because I found it interesting. But I do agree that things like this can be anti-supportive for some people here. I also know it's their choice to read it or not, so no, you don't have to be censored. But threads like this violate the spirit (not the rules) of MFP.
    Please... Mr. Elexgordo is my father. Call me Ex. :laugh:

I understand that my question is an exaggeration, and it certainly is a slippery slope. That's exactly my point.

I appreciate your opinion. I feel that this thread certainly aligns with the spirit of MFP. It's all about not going to extremes or using a fad diet/system. It's full of honest opinions from lots of folks that are losing weight and eating fast food in moderation.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I won't lie, I thought about it more than once. To be honest if they were advertising chicken mcnuggets with those french fries I'd be all over it!!!!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    lol @ ex :happy:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    wow, this thread reached 8 pages?! :laugh:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    damn...now i want some mcdonalds.
    not big macs tho...the special sauce is nasty and i dont like pickles on my burger >.>
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    not big macs tho...the special sauce is nasty and i dont like pickles on my burger >.>
    Gotta agree on the special sauce. Would rather have good old ketchup and mayo.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I read through this entire thread. I actually agree with emergencytennis about this thread being distateful, potentially derailing people etc. I think for people who have addiction to food (or anything) there is a real ability to be tempted just by hearing/seeing things like this. The reason there is so much money spent on advertising by McDonald's is because it works. It works well. While fast food is not the only thing that has contributed to the obesity epidemic in this country, it is a definitely a significant factor. There are certainly people who will have read this thread, and used it as an excuse to overeat--there is power to group thinking. Really. Not for everyone, but for some.

On a personal note, I find McDonald's gross. I have eaten it once in the past 3 months since starting here and I felt disgusting afterward.

This is flawed, as nobody said anything about running out and overeating McDonald's. If people read this thread, and try to use it as an excuse to overeat, that has nothing to do with the content of this thread. Every single person in this thread says it's fine in moderation, not run out and gorge yourself on it. I suppose if you want to take the entire thread out of context, then that's your prerogative, but I don't see anything in this thread promoting overeating, or binging on McDonald's, except the people in here that are insisting that this thread is causing people to go out and overeat.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    wow, this thread reached 8 pages?! :laugh:
    BUMP! :laugh:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    yes! fry sauce ftw.
    ..unless you meant just plain ketchup and mayo separately on burgers. then ignore the fry sauce comment >.>
  • Allisonjean1964
    Options
    Saw it but didn't buy it....I can't stomach McD's any more since the Teeny Beanie craze and I OD'd on Cheeseburger Happy Meals....cured me for life! LOL
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    The butthurt in this thread is amusing. -pops on monocle and sips tea with my pinky out-
    *joins you* One lump or two?

Three for the lack of sweetness in this thread.

q_o <--- monocle face
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

The special sauce is just ketchup, mayo, pickles and onions, mixed together. So now you're just arguing semantics. :drinker: