Why do you wear a wedding band?

Options
123457»

Replies

• jen0731
    jen0731 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Right now I only have an engagement ring, as we are getting married in April. I never take it off except when I put lotion on or I'm cleaning the ring. I feel honored to wear it because he took the time to find something I would like and it came from his heart. I would feel this way over anything he has given me. Also for the gifts that are material things, I cherish because he took the time to make it special for me. He is in the music business and expresses his feelings through music. When he picks out a song, I know that he thinks about the meaning.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yes I did, from the moment I said "I do" to when I said "I don't"
    So long as a matter of fact, I cannot get rid of the impression on my finger.

He on the other hand, never wore his until the day I walked out the door.

Huh......................:huh:
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Why I wear my wedding band..

1) I am completley in love with him
    2) He supports me and allows me to be who I am.
    3) He hears me when I speak and even louder when i don't.
    4) Honestly, I love him and he is an amazing man. I love him more today then the day I married him. After 23 years and many twists in the road I am glad we have finally figured it out.
    5) It reminds me of the commitment we made to each other and God!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I wear my engagement ring and my wedding band to symbolize the marriage to my husband. I haven't taken off my engagment ring since I was pregnant with my now 3 year old ( it was only off because it didn't fit.... )

If i didn't have a ring, i wouldn't feel less bonded... but I'd be searching for a way to show I was married, a way to show love, etc. I like having a tangible memory of the day we got engaged, the day we got married.

Besides.... they're stuck on. I haven't been able to get my enagement ring off since the day I put it back on. Stupid fat fingers.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Respecting all of the answers so far, would you feel any less bonded to your mate if you didn't have an object to adorn your hand?

(mind you, I wore one for 15 years, so I'm not minimizing your feelings).

I am not married (or engaged) so I have no piece of bling to wear...but I don't feel any less bonded to my boyfriend than I would otherwise. HOWEVER, once I am engaged/married, I would wear my ring all the time. For sentimental reasons, as well as the symbolic reasons people wear wedding rings.

ETA: and by "all the time" I mean all the time that I'm not bathing, working out, or doing something else that could physically damage the ring.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I wear my engagement ring - not my wedding band. It's pretty and completely unassuming. It's an antique with very little bling that I fell in love with in the store window of the jeweler around the corner from my office. I probably would have bought it just to have it if we hadn't decided to get married. When we did he asked me if I wanted it, and I did. :-) We exchanged inexpensive wedding bands when we got married, but neither of us wear them (which is why we bought cheap rings). My husband doesn't like rings, and it didn't matter to me one way or the other. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but at some point I'm going to frame the rings in a shadow box with our wedding invitation and flowers. So, the engagement ring I wear because I love it. And while it has sentimental value, I don't feel the way many people feel about the symbolism of a wedding ring. I feel the important bonds come from how we treat each other and how we treat our marriage - not how we advertise it to the world.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Wether in the city or in the country, I'd wear mine every where. the symbolic meaning that my husband is every where with me. the only time's it ever comes off is for cleaning.

Cause that's when you can't find him anywhere. :)

Hahaha - now that's funny!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Honestly - I wear it out of habit. I like the idea of what is symbolizes, but I know I'm married and that's all that matters. It's not anything flashy or expensive and that doesn't really matter to me. DH hasn't worn his in at least 10 years since he broke it while working. In fact, I took mine off Saturday before I started lifting and have forgotten to put it back on. DH noticed it on Sunday, but only because I said something and he didn't care that I didn't have it on.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    To let all the ladies know I'm taken.