How many calories do you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    HELLLLO <333

I'm 5'8.8" 133 pounds and I eat 2500-3000 calories a dayyy.
    (i do run 40 miles a weeek, but stilll)

YES :D !

no need to develop an eating disorder to lose weight

WOOT! SOOO glad to see someone living a healthy life with a healthy relationship with food. One day, I will eat 2500 calories a day. And I will love every moment of it.

Thai curry anyone? mmmmmmmm. Yum.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200-1500 a day, except for days I fast. I usually eat between 5-700 those days. I am rarely hungry.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    HELLLLO <333

And just look at how amazing you look! :D

lol thank you! Just so everyone can see:
    Photoon2011-07-27at2001.jpg
    Photoon2011-07-27at20025.jpg

FOOD IS FUEL. EAT.
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Options
    At 5'3" and 127 pounds, I was trying to limit my calories to 1250 - 1300 .... and I was miserable! Frustrated, hungry, grumpy, preoccupied with food. I've bumped it up to average 1500 per day (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on my exercise and appetite that day). I'm a MUCH happier person now. :bigsmile:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Around 2100 - 2400

mmmm food!

My breakfasts are more calories than some MFPs entire days worth of food - WTF?!!?

And yep, if you were on my friends list and constantly eating 500-800 calories a day, I'd send you messages about it, and then I'd delete - sad, but true. I've been at this a looooong time and if you don't want my advice then I dont want you on my friend list.

Tough love baby!
  • yukimiyazawa
    yukimiyazawa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    HELLLLO <333

WOOT! SOOO glad to see someone living a healthy life with a healthy relationship with food. One day, I will eat 2500 calories a day. And I will love every moment of it.

I'm sure most people struggling with anorexia, bulimia, or any other eating disorder would love to live "a healthy life with a healthy relationship with food." It's not a choice. It's a disease. I'm starting to think that people believe there's some magic on and off switch for individuals with eating disorders. You can't just preach a healthier lifestyle and expect them to "snap out of it," because it isn't simply about looks to begin with. They're not in it to become healthy or to look better in their prom dress. It's a matter of control. One feels they have no control over certain aspects of their life, so they control what they eat. And it becomes such an obsession that they can't stop. If it was simply about "exercising more, eating less," I'm sure there'd be less occupied rooms in eating disorder clinics all over this country.

I find it rather arrogant of someone to brag about the fact that they were able to lose weight without "the need of developing an eating disorder." I doubt most girls were sitting around one day when they decided, "hey, I'm going to become anorexic, it'd be so much easier than this diet and exercise nonsense."

It's a disease. Not a decision.
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good gravy. Eat people :(

It makes me sad to see how many people on here net very few calories every day either because they're not eating or they are exercising themselves to death. Just eat. Food is not the enemy. You can lose weight without killing yourself.

I eat 1800-2000 net. I am maintaining, but not intentionally. I'd like to lose more weight, but I'm going to wait and see if I start losing again after I've eliminated a few stressful things from my life. If I don't start losing after the grant/paper are done and after I start getting 8 hours of sleep a night, then I'll cut calories to 1600 to 1800 and see what happens.

Yeah really!!! Im reading this and thinking to myself, This is NOT what I learned about nutrition!! You gotta eat my goodness!!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I had 1200 calories today.

For one meal.

And I'm gonna eat again.

Although to be fair that was kind of on the splurgy side for me.

But I'm kind of at the point where - while I do want to encourage you all to FEED your bodies for your own damn health, at a certain point I think well, its your body, if you watn to live on 800 calories for the rest of your life I can't stop you. I'll think of you while I cram pastrami in my mouth.

PS I eat 1550 at an absolute minimum.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most people struggling with anorexia, bulimia, or any other eating disorder would love to live "a healthy life with a healthy relationship with food." It's not a choice. It's a disease. I'm starting to think that people believe there's some magic on and off switch for individuals with eating disorders. You can't just preach a healthier lifestyle and expect them to "snap out of it," because it isn't simply about looks to begin with. They're not in it to become healthy or to look better in their prom dress. It's a matter of control. One feels they have no control over certain aspects of their life, so they control what they eat. And it becomes such an obsession that they can't stop. If it was simply about "exercising more, eating less," I'm sure there'd be less occupied rooms in eating disorder clinics all over this country.

I find it rather arrogant of someone to brag about the fact that they were able to lose weight without "the need of developing an eating disorder." I doubt most girls were sitting around one day when they decided, "hey, I'm going to become anorexic, it'd be so much easier than this diet and exercise nonsense."

It's a disease you can get help for. You have the power to decide to go get help. And if you have an eating disorder, you sure shouldn't be bragging about how little you eat or encouraging others to do the same.

It seems to me that you are, in fact, encouraging others to eat unhealthily. You're suggesting it's okay to eat less than 1200 calories a day... and you know what, you're absolutely right that 1200 calories a day is not a "magic number"... but it's a number that helps people to know when to stop so that they don't descend into unhealthy habits.

You do not have to live the life you are living. You can get help. There are half a dozen women on here that I've seen that have recovered or are recovering from eating disorders. They are working on developing that healthy relationship with food. You can do it too.

Stop advocating a very low calorie diet. Stop making excuses. Am I being harsh? Yes. But you aren't helping yourself. You aren't helping others on here that might also have an eating disorder or that might be on the verge of developing one.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

As someone who still struggles with anorexia, I agree..it's so hard to hate what I see in the mirror..to never really feel good enough..if I could turn it off..I would..
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I think most of us understand that eating disorders are not a choice, but something that requires professional intervention. For the vast majority of people here though, the MFP community tries to promote a healthy and sustainable lifestyle for the 'average' person... sometimes that includes calling people out for having unhealthy eating and/or exercise habits. The simple fact id that eating 600 or 800 cals a day IS NOT HEALTHY.

For all of the people who have responded with comments such as 'this is the only way I can lose weight...' etc, you are wrong. Your body is responding this way because it is trying to save itself. If you consistently under eat, your body will fight you and try to hold on to every scrap of energy it can (read one of the MANY articles on starvation mode). Just try to adopt a more sustainable lifestyle, up your calories to a healthy level. Chances are very high that you will put a little weight on to start with, but as your body recovers, you will lose again, and QUICKER! You will be healthier, and have more energy.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lose, that's quite reasonable, if on the moderately low side.

I eat 1300 a day (NET, so 1300+what I burn for my workout) when I'm trying to lose and 1500-1600 NET (so again 1500 + whatever I burn) when maintaining.
  • bbycarrot
    Options
    I never eat less than 1,200! My body can't run without food. When I'm trying to lose weight I want a net between 1,200-1,400. I usually end up eating between 1,200-1,800 and exercising if I want to eat more. I try to not go above 2,000.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    HELLLLO <333

I agree with her. Us anorexics and bulimics on here are not trying to advocate or force others to eat the amount we do. All she did, was answer the question that was asked.
    Yes, anorexics and bulimics can get help. But I don't think people understand how challenging it is to have this disorder. Having this disorder has been the most difficult thing I've ever faced in my life. You can't just get better right away.

It's annoying when people are saying "You have to eat." It's not that easy. You will never understand what shear hell it is, living with an eating disorder, unless you have/had one.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    most of the time i eat under my daily goals especially on days i work out, then my off days..(no workout) i consume more than i should. if i have to work the mid shift, 1800-0600 then my calorie count is very high, because i snack to stay away. i am moving away from eating junk so i might be in the right direction. one day this crazy life style will balance out.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options

It's a disease you can get help for. You have the power to decide to go get help. And if you have an eating disorder, you sure shouldn't be bragging about how little you eat or encouraging others to do the same.

It seems to me that you are, in fact, encouraging others to eat unhealthily. You're suggesting it's okay to eat less than 1200 calories a day... and you know what, you're absolutely right that 1200 calories a day is not a "magic number"... but it's a number that helps people to know when to stop so that they don't descend into unhealthy habits.

You do not have to live the life you are living. You can get help. There are half a dozen women on here that I've seen that have recovered or are recovering from eating disorders. They are working on developing that healthy relationship with food. You can do it too.

Stop advocating a very low calorie diet. Stop making excuses. Am I being harsh? Yes. But you aren't helping yourself. You aren't helping others on here that might also have an eating disorder or that might be on the verge of developing one.

it's a disorder. You admit you have this disorder, and you are PROUD of it. Instead of getting help or trying to help yourself, you are putting all your effort towards counting all your calories and going around telling random people online you have never met that you have an eating disorder.

You clearly need help, so why don't you get off your computer and talk to someone who cares. Open up to someone. If you know you have a problem, and you aren't doing anything about it, then yes, I am going to show you it's not healthy. I'm trying to help you. You don't know my past. You have no idea if I've ever had any eating disorder. Don't get all bend out of shape when people on here are so harsh towards you.

People are harsh because they care. They want you to break down and realize there is a problem. It's better you realize you have a problem through people slamming you online then your heart failing one day and you are in the emergency room.

just putting that out there.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I know everybody is different, but I don't know how people have enough energy on less than 1200 calories a day. My minimum is usually 1800 and I add exercise calories. If I have a lower day, I feel sluggish the next day. I'd rather fuel my body so I can workout harder.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I NET between 1600-1800 calories a day. If I exercise, that means I am eating around 2100 cals or so, at times.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I know everybody is different, but I don't know how people have enough energy on less than 1200 calories a day. My minimum is usually 1800 and I add exercise calories. If I have a lower day, I feel sluggish the next day. I'd rather fuel my body so I can workout harder.

Everyone's different... When I eat I get tired. When I don't I get hyper and have tons of energy.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i am currently set at 1550 per day (aiming to lose 1 lb per week). of course on the days when i do exercise, i eat closer to 2000 or more calories. as i am only trying to lose another 6 - 10 lbs, i am thinking of revising my goal to 0.5 lb a week. i blv this will allow me about 1800 calories per day.