Repost: Because I got ZERO response the last time.

Options

Replies

• unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Geeez, when it rains it pours!

My little two cents: Only exercise once a day! You're going to burn yourself the eff out! I didn't look at your diary, but when in doubt, add in more calorie dense foods like nuts and beans. Half a cup of nuts has a ton of calories. It also has a lot of fat, but it's healthy fat, so I don't worry when I sometimes go over my fat limit with them.

Also, don't stress about eating all the calories (or if some days you go over, as long as you aren't eating total crap). I'm a firm believer in the idea that our bodies tell us when there is a problem. If you need more food, or more exercise for that matter, you will know. You'll be fatigued, sluggish, cranky, or whatever.

When I was 230ish, I had a different attitude toward weight loss, and it worked because I DID have so much more to lose. So I think you're kind of right in that since you do have a lot to lose, you might as well go full bore. I know now that I'm 189, I'm having to 'strategize' in a much different way.

Hope this helps.
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If I were you, if you want to get on track with your eating and nutrition I would look up "Ashy Bines Bikini Body Challenge" on facebook....just have a look at the before and after results of everyone on there and you can see how well it works. Shes a local where I live in Australia, so you wont be able to do the full challenge, but she has a clean eating plan that people all over the world are using. Its seriously worth it just to have a look, even if you dont end up using it.
  • Aprillsmith
    Options
    No I'm not on any diet pill, drink, or otherwise. Unless you count sugar free red bull. I definitely know I must get back to how I started and thats cooking, weighing, and measuring foods. I took a look back into my own diary and saw exactly how I stopped cooking and started eating too much fast foods. The two hour a day workouts are what I don't think I should change. However the diet leaves MUCH to be changed. And when it rains it pours is sooooo true. I reposted because I didn't get any response the first time and now I'm getting tons of them and I LOVE IT. I'm fairly new to the lifestyle change and while I have learned some I realize I have SO MUCH MORE to still learn
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    No I'm not on any diet pill, drink, or otherwise. Unless you count sugar free red bull. I definitely know I must get back to how I started and thats cooking, weighing, and measuring foods. I took a look back into my own diary and saw exactly how I stopped cooking and started eating too much fast foods. The two hour a day workouts are what I don't think I should change. However the diet leaves MUCH to be changed. And when it rains it pours is sooooo true. I reposted because I didn't get any response the first time and now I'm getting tons of them and I LOVE IT. I'm fairly new to the lifestyle change and while I have learned some I realize I have SO MUCH MORE to still learn
    I think you're on the right track, sister! :drinker: Best wishes!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Also, humans didn't used to be this sedentary, did we? Surely it used to require hours of effort everyday in most hunter/gatherer/early farming societies just to stay alive. So why should several hours of physical activity every day be unhealthy?
    True, and they would have the conditioning and metabolism to match it. Most modern humans, though, do not.
    Yeah, but how can we get that conditioning and metabolism if we don't do what they were doing?
    Metabolic change and conditioning would take time. Too much too quickly, though, will lead to injury.

Ah, no worries there. I'm a total wimp. When I start hurting, I stop moving! (Really hurting, not just a little muscle soreness)
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

Actually, Red Bull might cut your appetite a little, the few times I've had energy drinks, I didn't fare well at all, so I wouldn't know.

I'm right there with you on the long workouts, although I do several short ones during the day. Except I don't do weights daily and I'm just starting with weights, so that's something other people should help you with. But if you find out that you shouldn't do weights every day, maybe you could substitute it for walking or dance or something else and still get your hours in?

I'm new to this, I used to lose weight or maintain low weight by starving myself. For the first time, I'm really loving exercise. But I know that if I don't eat right on some days, I can't work out as long or as hard as I can when I eat better. I'm not a healthy eater by any means, veggies rarely find their way onto my plate, but I do get my protein and calcium, and I take a chewable multivitamin and drink my water every day, too.
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Options
    BUMP
  • queenkb
    Options
    Your post is 1 of most sensible 1's I've read. I try to tell my sister (yes my real sister) the same thing...stop going over kill on the exercise..the problem is our reading habits that has largely contributed to the weight issues..not j.ust lack of exercise
  • eliste
    Options
    I haven't eaten 1600 calories, that's the issue. I have just been told that I should be eating my BMR, which is 1600 calories, to lose weight? That's what it sounds like people are saying on this post. I however eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories per day. I have done this for a long time. In a year I have gained 40 lbs and two pant sizes. This is where my confusion is, since simple math tells me to burn more than I'm consuming, and 1200 is the bottom line-- your body needs at least 1200 to maintain normal functionality. So, where am I missing the step?

Hey, Rachel, I saw you chime in on the other post about calories and starvation mode, and since I was one of the people advocating to eat more, let's see if I can help clear some confusion, and expand on what I posted about BMR.

One of the popular theories of weight loss is calorie balancing. Calorie balancing turns weight loss into a big simple equation:

BMR + daily activity level - 500 = number of calories to eat daily for 1 pound of weight loss per week.

So a reasonable example of this formula:

1600 calories (BMR) + 320 calories (sedentary job/lifestyle daily calories) + 120 (daily exercise of 20 mins brisk walk) - 500 = 1540 calories to eat in a day.

Where I am getting the numbers from:

1600 = Rachel said her BMR is 1600 calories.
    320 = An average figure for the number of calories it takes to shower, walk to the car, type all day, do a few errands, and get home is 20% of your BMR.
    120 = How much I burned doing a 20 minute brisk walk today according to MFP. Obviously, that number is different for everyone.
    500 = There are 3500 calories in a pound. The theory says you will lose weight if you eat less than you expend. (And maintain if you eat as much as you expend, and gain if you eat more than you expend.) So if you divide 3500/7, over a week you will lose a pound of weight.

That is the theory. Lots of people swear by this theory, and it has shown results for them. I will warn you that as far as scientific studies go, parts of this theory are not proven to be true. (Not to say that people haven't had success, just that it hasn't worked out in studies.)

I will also warn you that the equation can be very hard to pin down for an individual. BMR calculators don't pinpoint everyone's true BMR. There are a few tests that your doctor can give you that a much more reliable. (I was trying to go off a calculator only to find when tested my real BMR is 20% below normal). How much you burn during exercise varies widely from person to person based on muscle mass, metabolism, overall fitness level, etc. Guessing if your lifestyle is sedentary or moderately active can be another tripping point (you're a mother of 3 kids under 10 yrs old? Highly unlikely you are sedentary even if you don't exercise!). And then, of course, if you are in starvation mode the equation might not work at all, or take a stubbornly long time to work since you need to convince your body you love it and will feed it regularly first.

I wish I had something...easier to tell you. I've undereaten for years like it appears you have, and all I do is yo-yo. There is no one answer yet to this thorny weight issue. All we can do is make some informed choices, which is why I've been trying to inform myself lately!
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You know, Aprillsmith, you are taking all these responses in great stride! Lots of people have posts like this and then are defensive of the responses. You must have a great attitude and that's half the battle! Here's to you and your journey :drinker: Keep up the great work and good luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'd 2 hrs a day is overkill yes... Esp if you are doing lifting, zumba and elliptical everyday... thats a bit insane. Pick one a day and you'll be better of in my opinion.

As far as your food diary goes, choose more calorie dense foods... like nuts, lean meats, etc. That will help fill out some of the calories.. also, watch the processed food. It tends to have a lot of sodium and not much of anything else.

Here is why I disagree with this. She says she's not working out to the point of being really sore, just feeling a burn. She must be eating enough to fuel her exercise on most days or she'd pass out trying. Unless she's on some sort of diet pill, in which case everything I just typed goes out the window. You can starve yourself and workout to the point where it's dangerous if a pill is tricking your body into thinking it's full and rested.

So OP, are you using any diet drugs, teas, drinks, etc. that might be cutting your appetite and increasing your energy levels artificially? If not, and if you don't suffer from any eating disorders or other obsessive disorder, and if you feel good and if you keep on feeling good, shouldn't you listen to your own body first? Or you could go check in with your doctor, show him your routine and calorie intake and ask for a referral to an expert.

About the weights I don't know, though. Daily weight use may be counter productive. But several hours of exercise isn't. If it were, my several years working warehouse doing heavy lifting would have killed me. Instead, until I got stupid and starved myself, I was quite healthy. I also went to the gym regularly before work.

Also, humans didn't used to be this sedentary, did we? Surely it used to require hours of effort everyday in most hunter/gatherer/early farming societies just to stay alive. So why should several hours of physical activity every day be unhealthy?

It's called overtraining.. If you exercise for 2 plus hours a day, every day and don't take a rest, your going to injure yourself and burn out. You also won't lose any weight since your body needs rest to recover and lose weight. Thats why it's important to take a rest day at least once a week.

As far as weights go, she should not be doing weights everyday. You need to let each muscle group rest a minimum of 24-48 hours between working them to avoid injury. Work them back to back, and don't give them the proper recovery time, and your setting yourself up for injury.

That is why I gave OP the advice that I did.. and if you don't agree with it, I'm sorry. It's true though and more and more people are realizing it everyday.
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten 1600 calories, that's the issue. I have just been told that I should be eating my BMR, which is 1600 calories, to lose weight? That's what it sounds like people are saying on this post. I however eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories per day. I have done this for a long time. In a year I have gained 40 lbs and two pant sizes. This is where my confusion is, since simple math tells me to burn more than I'm consuming, and 1200 is the bottom line-- your body needs at least 1200 to maintain normal functionality. So, where am I missing the step?

Hey, Rachel, I saw you chime in on the other post about calories and starvation mode, and since I was one of the people advocating to eat more, let's see if I can help clear some confusion, and expand on what I posted about BMR.

One of the popular theories of weight loss is calorie balancing. Calorie balancing turns weight loss into a big simple equation:

BMR + daily activity level - 500 = number of calories to eat daily for 1 pound of weight loss per week.

1600 calories (BMR) + 320 calories (sedentary job/lifestyle daily calories) + 120 (daily exercise of 20 mins brisk walk) - 500 = 1540 calories to eat in a day.

320 = An average figure for the number of calories it takes to shower, walk to the car, type all day, do a few errands, and get home is 20% of your BMR.
    120 = How much I burned doing a 20 minute brisk walk today according to MFP. Obviously, that number is different for everyone.
    500 = There are 3500 calories in a pound. The theory says you will lose weight if you eat less than you expend. (And maintain if you eat as much as you expend, and gain if you eat more than you expend.) So if you divide 3500/7, over a week you will lose a pound of weight.

That is the theory. Lots of people swear by this theory, and it has shown results for them. I will warn you that as far as scientific studies go, parts of this theory are not proven to be true. (Not to say that people haven't had success, just that it hasn't worked out in studies.)

I will also warn you that the equation can be very hard to pin down for an individual. BMR calculators don't pinpoint everyone's true BMR. There are a few tests that your doctor can give you that a much more reliable. (I was trying to go off a calculator only to find when tested my real BMR is 20% below normal). How much you burn during exercise varies widely from person to person based on muscle mass, metabolism, overall fitness level, etc. Guessing if your lifestyle is sedentary or moderately active can be another tripping point (you're a mother of 3 kids under 10 yrs old? Highly unlikely you are sedentary even if you don't exercise!). And then, of course, if you are in starvation mode the equation might not work at all, or take a stubbornly long time to work since you need to convince your body you love it and will feed it regularly first.

I wish I had something...easier to tell you. I've undereaten for years like it appears you have, and all I do is yo-yo. There is no one answer yet to this thorny weight issue. All we can do is make some informed choices, which is why I've been trying to inform myself lately!

thanks for that very helpful!
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You know, Aprillsmith, you are taking all these responses in great stride! Lots of people have posts like this and then are defensive of the responses. You must have a great attitude and that's half the battle! Here's to you and your journey :drinker: Keep up the great work and good luck!

i agree she seems to be really taking what she can from this and answering peoples questions without getting defensive or upset. great to be so open to help.
  • Aprillsmith
    Options
    Your post is 1 of most sensible 1's I've read. I try to tell my sister (yes my real sister) the same thing...stop going over kill on the exercise..the problem is our reading habits that has largely contributed to the weight issues..not j.ust lack of exercise

Yes, my sister is constantly telling me about the gym overkill but once I get into the gym and get into a zone its like GO HARD OR GO HOME!! I push myself boot camp style. But when I leave I'm not overtly sore or barely able to walk out the door I just feel good.
  • HealthyJenn0712
    Options
    Remember that you DO need to eat to lose weight, and if you are eating healthy, you can eat a lot more food for the calories. You can get of the weight and reach your goals! Keep up the hard work!!!
  • Aprillsmith
    Options

Thanks!! I appreciate everyone taking the time out to give their constructive criticism and pointers. I don't know all there is to know, shoot not even half there is to know about health and nutrition and am grateful for anyone willing to be helpful. Shoot I say take a look through my diary and pick through it, doesn't offend me one bit. I'm looking for more than just weight loss but also an overall healthy lifestyle change that I can pass on to my children and they can pass on too their children to break the cycle of unhealthy eating and sedentary activity levels. :flowerforyou:
  • emmadog1co
    emmadog1co Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i'm new to this site but just came across your profile and you look awsome. any words of wisdom ?
    :smile:
  • Aprillsmith
    Options
    i'm new to this site but just came across your profile and you look awsome. any words of wisdom ?
    :smile:

{looks around and points to self} Who me?? The main thing mindset. Whatever the mind is set on doing the body will follow. I'm new myself and am learning everyday. WELCOME :wink:
  • Aprillsmith
    Options

YES THIS IS VERY HELPFUL!!!
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I'd 2 hrs a day is overkill yes... Esp if you are doing lifting, zumba and elliptical everyday... thats a bit insane. Pick one a day and you'll be better of in my opinion.

As far as your food diary goes, choose more calorie dense foods... like nuts, lean meats, etc. That will help fill out some of the calories.. also, watch the processed food. It tends to have a lot of sodium and not much of anything else.

Here is why I disagree with this. She says she's not working out to the point of being really sore, just feeling a burn. She must be eating enough to fuel her exercise on most days or she'd pass out trying. Unless she's on some sort of diet pill, in which case everything I just typed goes out the window. You can starve yourself and workout to the point where it's dangerous if a pill is tricking your body into thinking it's full and rested.

So OP, are you using any diet drugs, teas, drinks, etc. that might be cutting your appetite and increasing your energy levels artificially? If not, and if you don't suffer from any eating disorders or other obsessive disorder, and if you feel good and if you keep on feeling good, shouldn't you listen to your own body first? Or you could go check in with your doctor, show him your routine and calorie intake and ask for a referral to an expert.

About the weights I don't know, though. Daily weight use may be counter productive. But several hours of exercise isn't. If it were, my several years working warehouse doing heavy lifting would have killed me. Instead, until I got stupid and starved myself, I was quite healthy. I also went to the gym regularly before work.

It's called overtraining.. If you exercise for 2 plus hours a day, every day and don't take a rest, your going to injure yourself and burn out. You also won't lose any weight since your body needs rest to recover and lose weight. Thats why it's important to take a rest day at least once a week.

As far as weights go, she should not be doing weights everyday. You need to let each muscle group rest a minimum of 24-48 hours between working them to avoid injury. Work them back to back, and don't give them the proper recovery time, and your setting yourself up for injury.

That is why I gave OP the advice that I did.. and if you don't agree with it, I'm sorry. It's true though and more and more people are realizing it everyday.

Okay, on the weights I don't know, but what about other types of exercise? Why would, for example, walking for more than two hours a day be harmful to anyone? I've worked jobs where I walked closer to six or eight hours every day. Admittedly, I did have a day off here and there. In fact, given a choice between taking a sedentary job or an active one, I've always gone back to the active ones so that I would get a work out. Why would choosing to walk hours every day off the clock hurt me when doing it on the clock never did?