Why ruin a good piece of meat?

Options

Replies

• cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm a medium rare. I like my tuna seared. I had a great chef tell me, that when you order steak "well done", they dig in the freezer for the worst piece they can find. He said "you can't tell the difference anyway, after you cook the crap out of it".
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Medium well...I can't handle seeing my meat pink. I also put my steak in ketchup though...Lmao...Everyone always has a stroke!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    When I eat out - Medium Rare - when I cook it myself most probably more on the rare side.....cant eat a piece of well done meat - how unapetising!!

6314142861_134db2459e.jpg
    Week 44 - Food by .donelle, on Flickr
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    by the way brett, I had the carpaccio at Dish on the south side t'other night. I'm still drooling...

Did someone say carpaccio!! Yum - had the best Kudu (Venison) carpaccio when I was in Africa - I still dream about it!!
  • KaraP18
    KaraP18 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    well done please!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I refuse to cook a steak that way; if somebody doesn't want a steak cooked right, I always have tuna to grill for those pansies.
  • amh83
    amh83 Posts: 15
    Options
    Preferably swimming in a pool of blood, wrapped in bacon of course!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    It depends on where I am getting it done, if it's at a good steakhouse like say Ruth Chris I will get it medium rare if it's at say Applebees I will get it medium or medium well, I made the mistake of asking for it medium rare at Applebees once, once.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It depends on where I am getting it done, if it's at a good steakhouse like say Ruth Chris I will get it medium rare if it's at say Applebees I will get it medium or medium well, I made the mistake of asking for it medium rare at Applebees once, once.

I ordered a ribeye at applebees cooked rare plus once... DISGUSTING. I complained to the waiter who said.. "huh, we've had a lot of complaints about the ribeye tonight" You think? Perhaps because you're serving rotting meat?

Ruth's Chris on the other hand.. OMG, it's like eating velvet ambrosia.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Please don't tell me there are still people who think that there is actually blood in a commercially sold piece of beef. People, there is NO BLOOD in your steak. The pink is myoglobin, not hemoglobin. You can eat your meat however you want obviously, but please don't say it's because of blood.

Good Job with your first post. Now, go check my diary and let me know if any of the red meat I have eaten in the last week has been commercially sold, or even beef for that matter.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Quickly sear it over high heat and bring it out with some salt and pepper. The middle should equal about room temperature.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Depends on the quality of the meat and the cook. At a big bbq (cheap meat, cooked without skill) I like it well done. Stuff it in a bread roll and enjoy the umami taste of the burnt bits. If I'm cooking it at home or ordering at a 3 star restaurant (good meat, mediocre skill), medium suits me. If it's a top quality piece of steak cooked by someone who really knows what they are doing, rare is good. (But I'm not that keen on steak, so I don't eat it often - give me a nice casserole or something more interesting any day).
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Medium or Medium-Rare, depending on the cut.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I worked at a place that served steaks, they described the different degrees of grilled you could order steak, under well done it said, "Chicken"
  • dat5053
    dat5053 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Medium, I like just a little pink. I used to order it well done, but my family kept giving me crap for it so I tried it medium, so much better that way.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Medium Rare
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Caaaaack!!!! :sick:

I'm not meeting 90% of you guys at a steak house! :laugh:

Cook that SOB!!!! :drinker:
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Medium Rare. I prefer to cook it at home on a smoker with wine barrel oak smoking chips and a little homemade seasoning.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it anymore, but I liked it medium rare when I used to eat it.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I like mine medium - and my husband likes med well. Pisses me off when he gets dirty looks when he orders. Why do you care? He likes it. He's the one eating it.