I'm confused weight lifting/cardio/muscle question...

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Because I really don't care enough about one man's claims. It's not that important to me what he believes. Why are you so obsessed with his one story, that you blatantly ignore all actual science and fact?

Do you dispute that you cannot create something out of nothing? Do you believe that the human body can magically create more mass out of thin air? Just use some logical, critical thinking.

Why are so obsessed at this? It an intesting story. And it appears to buck the common thought about building muscle while on a very slight deficit. Why would he be creating mass of of thin air if he's body fat has been going down and he's weight weight slightly up?

Here's a thought, ASK HIM. Is the human body creating mass out thin air when an high BF% person gains muscle while lifting on a deficit? Instead of actually asking him, you're going to continue the standard line here. Ask him and call him out. After all, he LYING to all of us right? You don't have a problem confronting me. Why not confront him?

The human body, when your body fat is high, burns excess fat for energy, and can utilize food you eat to build a small amount of muscle mass. When your body fat is low, your body does not have the fat levels to do that. Once you get down to about 10%, your body will burn just enough to make up the deficit you are eating. It will not burn any more than that, and even if it did, it still can't make you gain weight, as you can't gain weight without a caloric excess. If you weigh 175 pounds, it is physically impossible to add weight without eating a surplus of calories. Even if your body is burning fat, you still can't gain weight, since burning fat causes you to lose weight. TRY LOGIC, it works.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Ask him. Why is that so hard? Because you are trying pretty HARD to convince me.

I could be wrong. Why not ask him to clarify? Please don't say you don't care. You've spent enough time in this thread to illustrate that's not the case.

He's also didn't mention what BF% he was running. Or I didn't see where he mentioned it
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Why would he be creating mass of of thin air if he's body fat has been going down and he's weight weight slightly up?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Did you read the last paragraph of your own quoted article?

That's not what it says at all. You really need to work on your reading comprehension.

What part of "exception" did I misunderstand? Tell me o wise one
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

• Jeff92se
    Options

What part of "exception" did I misunderstand? Tell me o wise one

I thought you were done? :laugh:
  • tigersword
    Options
    Ask him. Why is that so hard? Because you are trying pretty HARD to convince me.

I could be wrong. Why not ask him to clarify? Please don't say you don't care. You've spent enough time in this thread to illustrate that's not the case.

He's also didn't mention what BF% he was running. Or I didn't see where he mentioned it

I saw his thread, and didn't want to read it when he posted it, and I don't want to read it now. I don't know what he said or meant, I'm going by what you are saying. I just want to know why you are so quick to believe what a random person on the internet says over centuries of scientific fact. You cannot create mass without adding mass. You cannot take a 5 pound block, shave off 6 ounces from it, and suddenly have it weigh 6 pounds. That's what you are insisting this guy said he did. If you can't understand the fallacy of that, then there is nothing more that I can say.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

I saw his thread, and didn't want to read it when he posted it, and I don't want to read it now. I don't know what he said or meant, I'm going by what you are saying. I just want to know why you are so quick to believe what a random person on the internet says over centuries of scientific fact. You cannot create mass without adding mass. You cannot take a 5 pound block, shave off 6 ounces from it, and suddenly have it weigh 6 pounds. That's what you are insisting this guy said he did. If you can't understand the fallacy of that, then there is nothing more that I can say.

You've said this multiple times already. You don't want to ask him. That's all I'm getting out of your responses at this point.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    MAGIC!!!

I just want to know why you are so quick to believe what a random person on the internet says over centuries of scientific fact.

I think the term you're looking for is "Cognitive Dissonance"
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Who says I'm quick to believe. I'm quick to ask.

Who is quick to try to ask the guy? Ron? Nope. Tigersword? Nope.

For all the "correcting" you guys like to do here, you sure are letting that guy go pretty easy.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Because it's irrelevant to the conversation. I'm not in his thread. And I don't care about his thread. Why are you stuck on me asking him? Is it so you can continue to dodge the actual logical and intelligent questions I'm putting up? I want to know what you think, not what some guy in some other thread may or may not have said. DO YOU THINK THAT 5-1=6? Can you take a 10 pound block, cut off one pound from it, put it on a scale, and expect it to weigh 11 pounds? I keep asking this question, and you keep blocking your ears telling me to go find this guy's thread and ask him what he said, rather than actually answering my question.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    What you are implying isn't what he's stating. But keep trying to state that.

If it's irrelevent to the conversation and his statements ARE the conversation, why are you here?

You do know that your analogy fails by your own statements right? As the articles PRESENTED HERE to discredit the deficit / mass theory says an "overfat" person can achieve muscle mass on a deficit. Whatever "overfat" is
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    What you are implying isn't what he's stating. But keep trying to state that.

If it's irrelevent to the conversation and his statements ARE the conversation, why are you here?

His claims have been dismissed by everyone but you. So WHY do you believe him.
    You do know that your analogy fails by your own statements right? As the articles PRESENTED HERE to discredit the deficit / mass theory says an "overfat" person can achieve muscle mass on a deficit. Whatever "overfat" is

Nobody claimed that you would GAIN WEIGHT , which is what you're claiming the guy did.
    Try reading Lyle's article again. You clearly misunderstood it completely.

And unless you're completely clueless, you can be sure that 10% isn't overfat. It generally refers to a bodyfat percentage greater than 25%. You know, fat people.
  • tigersword
    Options
    What am I implying? You are the one who specifically said he ate at a deficit and gained 2 pounds. Hence, 5-1=6. It doesn't work that way. Even an obese person who adds muscle mass does it at the expense of fat, and doesn't actually gain physical weight on the scale. He may lose 5 pounds of fat and gain a half pound of muscle, showing a loss on the scale of only 4.5 pounds, but that's completely different than, "He ate at a deficit and gained 2 pounds." I think you're confusing yourself.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Where did he mention 10%?
  • tigersword
    Options
    You posted images of him. Are you trying to imply that those pictures show him as being overfat? If he's in a bodybuilding competition, you can guarantee his body fat % is below 10. Also, I believe you were the one who first threw out the 10% number.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    OMG STFU, this thread is still going? What are you, a bunch of 12 year olds? Disagreements, they happen. No one is changing anyone else's mind here, so just move on! Your penises are all the same size as they were before this thread started, I promise.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    OMG STFU, this thread is still going? What are you, a bunch of 12 year olds? Disagreements, they happen. No one is changing anyone else's mind here, so just move on! Your penises are all the same size as they were before this thread started, I promise.

Run along now, the grown-ups are talking.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

LOL but uh..??? does 5-1 really equal 6?
  • tigersword
    Options

It's called debating. Nice of you to contribute by bringing in the childish jokes, though, much appreciated, now we can skip that part and stick to the actual topic.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Run along now, the grown-ups are talking.

In circles.

also, BWAHAHAHAHAHHAAA