did you just say i was pregnant EXSUSE YOU?

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude. People carry their weight in different places, and if you look pregnant some people truly want to be happy for you and congratulate you. If someone thought I was pregnant that would make me want to lose my weight even more, lol. Would not bother me, but I'm not uptight about a lot of things, so that is just me.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I have a job where I am in contact with a lot of older men. I get asked ALL the time when I am due, if I know if its a boy or girl yet, my favorite though is "You must only have a few weeks left". I am very short waisted though and have slender appendages, so when I sit down I can see the error. I just let them know that I am not pregnant and am actively trying to lose weight. I try to take it as a complement that they think I am pregnant and not just fat. It means the rest of me doesnt look fat!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8730106.stm
    Is that woman pregnant or fat?

Some commuters don't give up their seats for pregnant women because they fear offending someone who is just overweight, it has emerged. Here, expectant mothers give tips on how to tell the difference.

[... more ...]
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever turned around to you and asked how many weeks pregnant you were and u you were not even pregnant just a bit over weight? This has happened to me about 4 times this year its so rude of people to randomley ask you how many weeks pregnant you are wen your not even pregnant? Like dont you think maybe its just fat? what have been your come backs in regards to this or am i the only one

Once. I was working in a nursing home, and during my morning medication pass I had an old lady with Alzheimer's rub my belly and ask me if I was getting a lot of morning sickness, because I looked thin (I was 250lbs at 5'2" at the time). I didn't get upset, because she thought I was her daughter that day and was worried about me and her grandkid (she went on to say that I needed to eat more small meals because she wanted us to be healthy) *chuckle*. My feelings don't get hurt easily after working with Alzheimer's patients for 10 years. :)

I usually got called fatass, fat*****, or wide load. I would rather people ask me if i were pregnant. Although, once I moved to Tennessee from Washington DC no one calls me those names anymore. Of course, there are a lot of people my size or bigger down here, so they're more plus size friendly.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    duplicate, sorry. Hit enter twice
  • dissonancesquared
    Options
    something like this happened to me several years ago... i was in my early 20s, healthy weight/bmi (though i tend to carry literally all my weight in my stomach which can be unflattering if i don't dress carefully) having a cigarette and these two teenaged girls walked passed, and one said loudly to the other "omg i thought you weren't supposed to smoke when you're pregnant" and they walked off giggling. i was absolutely mortified. thats malice. i think in your case they were just trying to be nice :)
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I've had that question asked too many time to tell them all. When i'm thinner, it happens once or twice a year, when i'm around my actual weight, it's almost monthly.

My best come back line was:not pregnant, just fat. The clerk at the garage could never serve me again and would purposely hide when she saw me. (and I was at my lowest weight by that time).

As for politeness, if I don't see a head coming out of there, I ain't asking. Just saying.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Debswebby, even though it hurt, I think your response to the question was handled extremely well.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I was at a party once and my friends dad said, "Anna stand with your friends so I can take a picture of the 3 pregnant girls at the party" I told him I was 4 mths pregnant even though I was there with my 6 mth old. I figured ehhh he was old and didn't know better.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

Some commuters don't give up their seats for pregnant women because they fear offending someone who is just overweight, it has emerged. Here, expectant mothers give tips on how to tell the difference.

[... more ...]

WOW! they really needed to put this is an article? this is hilarious, poor truly pregnant women, haha
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

[... more ...]

Nice.... I actually do some of those... but at some point staring at a girl examining her ankles and breathing patterns might get me slapped! hand on the belly is a big give away for me... also is if she gets on the train looking actively for a seat.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My wife did that to a girl at a high school reunion once, she felt horrible about saying it. In her defense though, the style of shirt the former classmate was wearing looked like a maternity shirt and really was the inspiration for the question. Is there any chance you were wearing the same shirt, or style of shirt each time you were asked this question?

I've only been asked one time & I've never worn the shirt I had on again! It was a cute shirt, but it was very flowy- NEVER again.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    This happened to my Mom recently-but she made the boo-boo. She is the sweetest woman on earth and wanted to die when she realized what she had done.

Family friends of my husbands have 2 adult daughters. My mom doesn't know them by face, just by me talking about them. I had told her one of them was pregnant. She works at bingo and recognized our friend's mother and that she was there with her adult daughter. She walked over and patted her large belly and asked how the baby was doing. She replied "Actually I'm not pregnant, my sister is. I have a serious illness and that's why my belly is so bloated."

No words to describe it-my poor Mom... I think she stammered some kind of apology and ran for the hills.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    its only happened to me when i WAS pregnant..and i was so excited about it, i told everyone..LoL...
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    It's called being polite, taking a interest in someone, being friendly... As long as they're not asking you how many weeks pregnant you are, when they know damn well you're NOT preganant, and just want to upset you by saying in a roundabout way that you're FAT, I don't see the issue. If they ARE being genuine, then what does that tell you? And if you don't recognise this problem yourself, then why are you on MFP?

My comeback would be "I'm not pregnant with a baby, I'm just storing fat for World War III. But let's be optimistic, that isn't going to happen, so thanks for pointing out that my fat stores hopefully won't be required. I'll do something about getting rid of them"

Very few people would say something to purposefully hurt you. They either genuinely think you're pregnant, or are too stupid to contemplate the fact it might be fat and not a baby, and engage their mouth before their brain.

Think about it, if you weren't "fat" they wouldn't be saying it. So who's the one with the problem? One they're actively looking to sort out? I've just shifted my "4 month bump" :-)

It'd still be none of their business if I was pregnant.

It may not be anyone's business, but being pregnant is a beautiful blessing and people want to acknowledge they know you are pregnant. I know when I was pregnant I loved it when people asked me mainly because I didn't think I looked pregnant.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I believe that sometimes in our skewed sense of self, we look at the actions of others in terms of how they make us feel and not the intention with which they're done. Unless, as someone already mentioned, the person knows the true answer to the question they're asking, what reason is there to presume malice was intended? If we're humiliated by someone else's innocent question, then it's because we find ourselves lacking in some way already. It's not the other person's fault.

Simply say, "I'm not," and move on. Ten to one that person will spend time thinking about their question and your response, and possibly reconsidering asking again. They will probably also feel bad having, presumably, made you feel bad. How you feel, however, is entirely up to you.
  • Jacquibennett
    Jacquibennett Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This clearly is a bone of contention with some people! What a debate.
    Personally I would never ask someone how far along they are unless they had themselves actually told me they were pregnant.
    Surprisingly, considering I have spent a lot of time in my life overweight, I have never had this happen to me. Never have my family said anything of the sort, possibly because most of them have there own food bumps so I'd just say mine was due the same time as theirs! Lol.
    I can see the view of those saying that perhaps the other person was just showing an interest in you, however there are plenty of other things they could have said if that were the case. If those people were just trying to be polite please please can you strike up a conversation about the weather next time? Much safer, shouldn't offend, and hopefully you will make a new friend who, when you are pregnant, you will tell without them needing to ask!!
    Right....I think that solves everything, lol, :happy:
  • oeys
    oeys Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I was told that I must be "the eighth pregnant woman" that this salesman dealt with that day in the supermarket. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. Was terrified he's ask how far gone I was coz I just can't think quick enough for answers! Thing was though, I had just passed my smallish 5 month old to my husband. You'd think some people would cop on!!
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    That's an awful feeling to have someone say that to you. I'm so sorry you had to experience that.

About the topic in general, I think these days people should be more than aware that you don't ask a woman if she's pregnant. It's like asking a woman what she weighs. (I loved the Dave Barry quote! Wise man.) It's a tacit sort of protocol.

I mean I had a co-worker that was a lesbian. It was obvious to me after a while (and I could care less what her sexual orientation is), but I'm not going to out her by commenting on it. If she wants to tell me, that's awesome. But until then, it's not my business.

Anyway, what I'm saying is I agree with those people who say it's not their business. Personally, I would find it extremely intrusive to have someone ask me something like that or to want to see or touch my belly even if I /were/ pregnant. But that's who I am. Some people don't care about that kind of thing. It comes down to personality to a certain extent. Also, it's /very/ generational. What we'd consider impolite is absolutely acceptable to a certain generation when such things were expected of women.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I made the mistake ONCE to ask someone how far along she was. Only because I've been pregnant and she had the roundish appearance that I was fimilar with for 9 months. Low and behold she was not pregnant. It was horrifing for me. And I felt extremely bad. But I had good intent if that makes up for it.....